moondigger

quality posts: 11 Private Messages moondigger
lucasmeeker wrote:Ah yes, I have those with fly fishing stuff. Gotta have more stuff.

While budget does play a small role in my current SIWBM, the primary issue is temperature-controlled storage. Mine's completely full, and I have roughly another case of wine on the basement floor. Meanwhile, these 90 degree days are warming the basement a little bit more every day, and I can only drink the stuff so fast...

Of course, this discussion is not helping my resolve. I shouldn't even be following this thread.

rld513

quality posts: 4 Private Messages rld513

I'm so tempted by this, and *should* be on a SIWBM. But I'm a Meeker fan and belong to a local PN tasting group. I'm always looking for something I don't see in market, etc. Hmmm...

lucasmeeker

quality posts: 81 Private Messages lucasmeeker
rld513 wrote:I'm so tempted by this, and *should* be on a SIWBM. But I'm a Meeker fan and belong to a local PN tasting group. I'm always looking for something I don't see in market, etc. Hmmm...

Do it. You know you wanna.

Lucas Meeker
The Meeker Vineyard
www.meekerwine.com
@meekerwine

Question? Just ask!

karenhynes

quality posts: 11 Private Messages karenhynes

I'm a sucker for an RRV Pinot....in for 1.

Wine is bottled poetry - Robert Louis Stevenson

richardhod

quality posts: 261 Private Messages richardhod

Acidity looks nice and high and alcohol levels look pretty reasonable (not high). So, is this still a lush cola-oriented RRV style, or somewhat more like Carneros or Oregon, with a nod to Europe, as the stats may suggest?

itsernst

quality posts: 1 Private Messages itsernst

This board has just as many acronyms as the military...

Wiring the Future!,ifo.

and apparently what the hell translates to wiring for future.

lucasmeeker

richardhod wrote:Acidity looks nice and high and alcohol levels look pretty reasonable (not high). So, is this still a lush cola-oriented RRV style, or somewhat more like Carneros or Oregon, with a nod to Europe, as the stats may suggest?

This is definitely more acidic and tannic than what you might expect from a big RRV typical Pinot.

Lucas Meeker
The Meeker Vineyard
www.meekerwine.com
@meekerwine

Question? Just ask!

klezman

quality posts: 130 Private Messages klezman
richardhod wrote:Acidity looks nice and high and alcohol levels look pretty reasonable (not high). So, is this still a lush cola-oriented RRV style, or somewhat more like Carneros or Oregon, with a nod to Europe, as the stats may suggest?

I'm first sucker...that should tell you what info I have on the style.

2014: 57 bottles. Last wine.woot: 2011 Wellington Cab & Merlot, Roessler 2009 Bluejay, 2010 Bell Cabernet
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

lassow

quality posts: 133 Private Messages lassow

Another screw cap fan here. The only issue I have with the enclosure is that you cannot tell if the wine has been heat damaged, usually clearly indicative by an elevated cork. Not that they aren't sometimes elevated from the bottling line. Other than that, I love the simplicity of the twist top!

I like to talk about wine, but I'd rather drink it.

lucasmeeker

lassow wrote:Another screw cap fan here. The only issue I have with the enclosure is that you cannot tell if the wine has been heat damaged, usually clearly indicative by an elevated cork. Not that they aren't sometimes elevated from the bottling line. Other than that, I love the simplicity of the twist top!

An elevated cork might help identify heat damage, but wine can be completely heat damaged without pushing the cork at all. And as you pointed out, there are definitely elevated corks that aren't damaged.

But that's definitely an interesting point I haven't heard before.

Lucas Meeker
The Meeker Vineyard
www.meekerwine.com
@meekerwine

Question? Just ask!

trifecta

quality posts: 74 Private Messages trifecta

Lucas - While you are here, can you give us a little background on how you select the pinot noir clones that you work with? Your lineup is the first foray I have had into trying to discern the differences in clones grown in the same place with the same treatment.

rpm

quality posts: 183 Private Messages rpm

Give it a try; I am. Looks pretty reasonable to me and worth trying. SWMBO loves Pinot.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

woottoady

quality posts: 34 Private Messages woottoady

Are you telling me I wasted ten bucks on that fancy corkscrew the UPS guy brought me last week?

Are you sure I can't use it on a screw top... 'cause I've gotta impress my dinner guests with my sophistication and pouring prowess.

We'll see how it does here... in for one!

lucasmeeker

trifecta wrote:Lucas - While you are here, can you give us a little background on how you select the pinot noir clones that you work with? Your lineup is the first foray I have had into trying to discern the differences in clones grown in the same place with the same treatment.

It's not quite as simple as me picking the clones... it has more to do with what clones are available in the vineyard. In this case, the vineyard is interplanted with multiple clones, so this is picked and fermented together with a combination of clones. This is pretty typical for smaller vineyards.

Bigger growers, like Sangiacomo Vineyards, from whom I get the fruit for my 100% clonal bottlings, have enough vineyard that they plant by clone in each block, so that each clone can be picked independently. This is the case with all the fruit I receive from them, but I'm not sure if it's the case across all of their (many) vineyards.

I guess I'll put it like this:

I definitely have clones that I prefer, and clones that I'm not as big a fan of. That said, it has a lot more to do with the marriage of the clone and the vineyard site in tandem with the management practices and winemaking style. I.E.: It's just not that simple.

So while I could tell you that my favorite clones tend to be 777, 828, 114, and P5, my favorite of my Pinot Noirs is 100% Swan clone (a heritage clone).

The reason I like to do clonal bottlings is because I think it paints an interesting picture of what the wine is. I'm a huge proponent, as a lot of you know by now, of much increased transparency in the wine business. Part of the way that I illustrate that is by including as much information as possible if appropriate.

So while I might have clones that I'm a particularly big fan of, it ultimately is more complicated than that and is really case by case or vineyard by vineyard.

I also just think it's kind of cool. I like that I have (currently) two clonal bottlings from the same vineyard site. The contrast is fascinating and educational. I learn a lot from fermenting and tasting these lots side by side, and in the situation of Roberts Road Vineyard, where I'm not getting three clonal lots, I don't necessarily think that blending the three of them together makes a better wine than each independently. Their very different. And I kind of like that.

There is no better evidence to how hilariously individualistic wine preference is than hearing different people tell me which of the 2 or 3 they prefer in completely unpredictable ways. One person might tell me that they much prefer old world Pinot Noir, and I get that, and then tell me that they prefer the decidedly more new world style of the two. The next person might say that they love high octane, high pH wines that are super fruit forward, and then pick what I consider to be the much more earthy, less fruity of the two.

This isn't to mock them, it's just literally fascinating to see how consistently inconsistent wine behaves for different people. It sort of makes rating systems look extra silly. But that's another topic for another day.

TL;DR: Clones are funny things, and while I might have preferences, it's just a piece of the puzzle. Bottling by clone is more about the experience of tasting them against each other.

Lucas Meeker
The Meeker Vineyard
www.meekerwine.com
@meekerwine

Question? Just ask!

lucasmeeker

woottoady wrote:Are you telling me I wasted ten bucks on that fancy corkscrew the UPS guy brought me last week?

Are you sure I can't use it on a screw top... 'cause I've gotta impress my dinner guests with my sophistication and pouring prowess.

We'll see how it does here... in for one!

I am as shockingly picky about corkscrews as the next guy, so don't feel too bad. Plenty of amazing wine is in cork and will be in cork. That's fine, and I'll drink it, but I would prefer not to sell it.

Lucas Meeker
The Meeker Vineyard
www.meekerwine.com
@meekerwine

Question? Just ask!

kylemittskus

quality posts: 233 Private Messages kylemittskus
lucasmeeker wrote:I also just think it's kind of cool. I like that I have (currently) two clonal bottlings from the same vineyard site. The contrast is fascinating and educational.

Sounds like a really interesting experience for us wooters to have...

WD: 2 x 2 offer of 100% clone bottlings = breaking the SIWBM (that's been going for more than a month!).

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

ghyo1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages ghyo1
kylemittskus wrote: WD: 2 x 2 offer of 100% clone bottlings = breaking the SIWBM (that's been going for more than a month!).

"Woot (thankfully) doesn't cater to your desires...Pining about how you wish something would be different isn't going to cause the change you want." -Kylemittskus

kylemittskus

ghyo1 wrote:"Woot (thankfully) doesn't cater to your desires...Pining about how you wish something would be different isn't going to cause the change you want." -Kylemittskus

Totally the same thing. By the way, so glad you're back!

ghyo1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages ghyo1
kylemittskus wrote:Totally the same thing. By the way, so glad you're back!

Sure. I'll watch my back.
I'm only here because I can't resist RR PN. Ever since trying Rochioli way back in [deleted].

trifecta

kylemittskus wrote:Sounds like a really interesting experience for us wooters to have...

WD: 2 x 2 offer of 100% clone bottlings = breaking the SIWBM (that's been going for more than a month!).

Doubt this is going to happen based on production numbers. If you ever make it up north we can make a visit with you.

kylemittskus

trifecta wrote:Doubt this is going to happen based on production numbers. If you ever make it up north we can make a visit with you.

I was afraid of that. We really want to make it up north one of these days. Not sure when it will realistically happen, though.

texacaliali

quality posts: 137 Private Messages texacaliali

Guest Blogger

love seeing the Lucas J. offering today. I've sipped (more like downed) a few bottles of Lucas J. pinots in my life, fantastic wine Lucas. Sangiacomo fruit has become one of my favorite vineyards over the past few years of drinking through the RRV and Sonoma Coast.

WineDavid was my Boss!

kylemittskus

texacaliali wrote:...over the past few years of drinking through the RRV and Sonoma Coast.

Your life is awesome.

lassow

quality posts: 133 Private Messages lassow
lucasmeeker wrote:An elevated cork might help identify heat damage, but wine can be completely heat damaged without pushing the cork at all. And as you pointed out, there are definitely elevated corks that aren't damaged.

But that's definitely an interesting point I haven't heard before.

I took delivery of a 2004 Barolo a few years ago that was above warm but not quite hot, cork not raised at all. The shipper suggested I open the bottle and find out if it was damaged the day it came in so they could figure out what to do. They completely defeated the point of ordering a nicer wine in the first place!

I like to talk about wine, but I'd rather drink it.

lucasmeeker

lassow wrote:I took delivery of a 2004 Barolo a few years ago that was above warm but not quite hot, cork not raised at all. The shipper suggested I open the bottle and find out if it was damaged the day it came in so they could figure out what to do. They completely defeated the point of ordering a nicer wine in the first place!

This solution only works if they shipped you more than one bottle and plan on replacing the one you opened. That's how we handle questionable deliveries in heat.

Lucas Meeker
The Meeker Vineyard
www.meekerwine.com
@meekerwine

Question? Just ask!

lucasmeeker

texacaliali wrote:love seeing the Lucas J. offering today. I've sipped (more like downed) a few bottles of Lucas J. pinots in my life, fantastic wine Lucas. Sangiacomo fruit has become one of my favorite vineyards over the past few years of drinking through the RRV and Sonoma Coast.

Thanks Ali! We need to have lunch again soon, and also get a doodle playdate set up.

Lucas Meeker
The Meeker Vineyard
www.meekerwine.com
@meekerwine

Question? Just ask!

lucasmeeker

trifecta wrote:Doubt this is going to happen based on production numbers. If you ever make it up north we can make a visit with you.

Bingo, those wines are largely sold and I have limited production of following vintages.

Lucas Meeker
The Meeker Vineyard
www.meekerwine.com
@meekerwine

Question? Just ask!

lucasmeeker

kylemittskus wrote:Sounds like a really interesting experience for us wooters to have...

Uh, you could always just order directly and pay the completely reasonable price of $29/bottle for clonal single vineyard Sonoma Coast Pinot Noir. The full price is practically a Woot price. Just sayin'. They don't trade wine for Ferraris, unfortunately.

(now is when you spit your beverage all over your monitor from laughing)

Lucas Meeker
The Meeker Vineyard
www.meekerwine.com
@meekerwine

Question? Just ask!

kylemittskus

lucasmeeker wrote:Uh, you could always just order directly and pay the completely reasonable price of $29/bottle for clonal single vineyard Sonoma Coast Pinot Noir. The full price is practically a Woot price. Just sayin'. They don't trade wine for Ferraris, unfortunately.

(now is when you spit your beverage all over your monitor from laughing)

$30/btl is more than reasonable for wines of your quality. Shipping hurts, though, even though I'm only a few hours south of you. Nevertheless, I may have to grab a couple just for the learning experience.

brainchasm

quality posts: 6 Private Messages brainchasm

Enjoyed Meeker stuff before. Learning to like pinot noir.
QPR looks good.
In for 3 orders.

trifecta

kylemittskus wrote:$30/btl is more than reasonable for wines of your quality. Shipping hurts, though, even though I'm only a few hours south of you. Nevertheless, I may have to grab a couple just for the learning experience.

I might be able to work out a wootleg for you through the wootception. PM me.

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316

Semi-thread hijack, but it has relevance because I checked Lucas' site first to see if he made any late harvest/dessert/port style wines, and he doesn't (I check nearly every winery in attempt to get WD to get them to sell some to us)

WD, give us some sweet stuff! The last dessert wine offering was 5/5/13.

Lucas, make some late harvest Pinot Noir, or something, yeah, do it.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

texacaliali

Guest Blogger

lucasmeeker wrote:Thanks Ali! We need to have lunch again soon, and also get a doodle playdate set up.

indeed, perhaps a picnic lunch at a massive football field. or maybe we can sneak into WD's Sheep Farm, that would be a fun one to watch!

WineDavid was my Boss!

texacaliali

Guest Blogger

kylemittskus wrote:Your life is awesome.

the wine life is good!

WineDavid was my Boss!

Winedavid39

quality posts: 214 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

North316 wrote:Semi-thread hijack, but it has relevance because I checked Lucas' site first to see if he made any late harvest/dessert/port style wines, and he doesn't (I check nearly every winery in attempt to get WD to get them to sell some to us)

WD, give us some sweet stuff! The last dessert wine offering was 5/5/13.

Lucas, make some late harvest Pinot Noir, or something, yeah, do it.

Noted.

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
bsevern wrote:I wasn't implying that you're an old dog

I agree with you, aside from removing a bit of the pomp and circumstances, I don't have an issue with screwcaps.

I have Brenn guilty of not paying attention and using a foil cutter to cut the top off a screw cap. At that point I was embarrassed and committed to finishing the bottle. So I lost won.

Worst part was it was a rat bottle, when such things existed.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

bhodilee

kylemittskus wrote:Your life is awesome.

You should see Sandwich, he's a children's book waiting to happen.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

texacaliali

Guest Blogger

bhodilee wrote:You should see Sandwich, he's a children's book waiting to happen.

indeed! in the works...can't hardly wait!

google #sandwichthedog and I bet you'll see a few photos of this big goof - brought to me by The Meeker's, they have two of his brothers and lead me to him.

WineDavid was my Boss!

klezman

quality posts: 130 Private Messages klezman
trifecta wrote:I might be able to work out a wootleg for you through the wootception. PM me.

I may also take you up on that if I like what I taste with this offering. We've got lots of wine to trade

2014: 57 bottles. Last wine.woot: 2011 Wellington Cab & Merlot, Roessler 2009 Bluejay, 2010 Bell Cabernet
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

bhodilee

texacaliali wrote:indeed! in the works...can't hardly wait!

google #sandwichthedog and I bet you'll see a few photos of this big goof - brought to me by The Meeker's, they have two of his brothers and lead me to him.

Let me know, my daughter is a reading machine!