Lucas J. Russian River Pinot Noir 3-Pack
$59.99 $̶9̶8̶.̶0̶0̶ 39% off List Price
2008 Lucas J. Pinot Noir, Jasper Family Vineyard, Russian River Valley
CT link above

Winery website

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

cortot20

quality posts: 161 Private Messages cortot20

I might be sold on the kool aid man busting through the wall nose descriptor. It's one of my favorite super (/ame) visuals.

CT

klezman

quality posts: 130 Private Messages klezman

In on trifecta's recommendation - and first sucker to boot! That's the first time that's happened

2014: 57 bottles. Last wine.woot: 2011 Wellington Cab & Merlot, Roessler 2009 Bluejay, 2010 Bell Cabernet
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

blakewoot

quality posts: 11 Private Messages blakewoot

I am very tempted by this - first time in a while at woot. Intriguing tasting notes in the write up. Anyone had this recently - perhaps there's a rodent who might chime in? Hmmm... I also notice that it looks like a screw cap, which is not common on Pinot.

On the fence... push me over!

Edit: Ok, off the fence and in for one based on trifecta's hard sell.

trifecta

quality posts: 74 Private Messages trifecta

Lucas is downright rockin the Pinot QPR with his lineup. This wine is delicious and approachable now, but should pick up steam in a couple years.

I drank the kool,aid when he first started up his club. Haven't been disappointed with a single wine. Looking back I am surprised I didn't post notes, but I have had this wine many times in the last year and enjoyed it every time.

For those that might not know the name, Lucas is a major driving force behind all the Meeker wines the woot community knows and loves.

lucasmeeker

quality posts: 81 Private Messages lucasmeeker

Hey all, thanks for having me. Hopefully you'll extend your Meeker Woot trust my way on this offer.

As usual, I'll be more than happy to answer any questions, with long-to-a-fault answers.

The long and the short of Lucas J. Cellars is this: When I came back to the family business, I wanted to learn the hard way. I started making wine under my own label in the 2007 harvest from this same vineyard.

I make almost entirely PInot Noir, and I sort of live by what I consider pretty important style standards for those Pinots:

1. 100% Pinot Noir, and when possible 100% vineyard specific and 100% clonal. I won't call something a vineyard or clonal designate without it being 100% that designate. (Not because I'm trying to paint some romantic terroir painting, but because I believe in giving you as clear an idea of what the wine is and what the differences are.)

2. No residual sugar, unfiltered wines.

3. Medium alcohol, (comparably) low pH wines that will age.

4. Over-deliver and under-price. It makes happy customers who trust you.

None of this is all that new or ground-breaking. I'm just trying to make some really great high-QPR Pinot Noir from California and demystify a little bit in the process.

Please, ask me questions! You'll prevent me from having to do all the boring stuff I normally do on a Tuesday!

I'm pretty exhausted right now and will probably sign off for the night after this and see you all in the morning.

Thanks for your support in advance, and if you sell this product out I will personally owe you a high five (probably).

Lucas Meeker
The Meeker Vineyard
www.meekerwine.com
@meekerwine

Question? Just ask!

Winedavid39

quality posts: 214 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

lucasmeeker wrote:Hey all, thanks for having me. Hopefully you'll extend your Meeker Woot trust my way on this offer.

As usual, I'll be more than happy to answer any questions, with long-to-a-fault answers.

The long and the short of Lucas J. Cellars is this: When I came back to the family business, I wanted to learn the hard way. I started making wine under my own label in the 2007 harvest from this same vineyard.

I make almost entirely PInot Noir, and I sort of live by what I consider pretty important style standards for those Pinots:

1. 100% Pinot Noir, and when possible 100% vineyard specific and 100% clonal. I won't call something a vineyard or clonal designate without it being 100% that designate. (Not because I'm trying to paint some romantic terroir painting, but because I believe in giving you as clear an idea of what the wine is and what the differences are.)

2. No residual sugar, unfiltered wines.

3. Medium alcohol, (comparably) low pH wines that will age.

4. Over-deliver and under-price. It makes happy customers who trust you.

None of this is all that new or ground-breaking. I'm just trying to make some really great high-QPR Pinot Noir from California and demystify a little bit in the process.

Please, ask me questions! You'll prevent me from having to do all the boring stuff I normally do on a Tuesday!

I'm pretty exhausted right now and will probably sign off for the night after this and see you all in the morning.

Thanks for your support in advance, and if you sell this product out I will personally owe you a high five (probably).

Thoroughly enjoyed this wine.

lucasmeeker

blakewoot wrote:I am very tempted by this - first time in a while at woot. Intriguing tasting notes in the write up. Anyone had this recently - perhaps there's a rodent who might chime in? Hmmm... I also notice that it looks like a screw cap, which is not common on Pinot.

Screwcap should be common on Pinot (and all other wines). I'm not the only one doing relatively high priced Pinot in screwcaps: Loring Wine Company (I think Brian was the first to go full brodie on screwcaps for high end Pinot), AP Vin, etc.

I hate corks, like really bad. I think I've gone on that rant here already. The screwcap is the superior closure. If it was an option when the wine world switched from burlap coated wooden pegs to cork, I bet they would have skipped cork.

/exhaustedhalfcockedcorkrant

Lucas Meeker
The Meeker Vineyard
www.meekerwine.com
@meekerwine

Question? Just ask!

lucasmeeker

Winedavid39 wrote:Thoroughly enjoyed this wine.

Thanks David. You rule.

Lucas Meeker
The Meeker Vineyard
www.meekerwine.com
@meekerwine

Question? Just ask!

bsevern

quality posts: 110 Private Messages bsevern
lucasmeeker wrote:Screwcap should be common on Pinot (and all other wines). I'm not the only one doing relatively high priced Pinot in screwcaps: Loring Wine Company (I think Brian was the first to go full brodie on screwcaps for high end Pinot), AP Vin, etc.

I hate corks, like really bad. I think I've gone on that rant here already. The screwcap is the superior closure. If it was an option when the wine world switched from burlap coated wooden pegs to cork, I bet they would have skipped cork.

/exhaustedhalfcockedcorkrant

Of course there are those that will (and always do) poo poo Stelvin enclosures, errr make that screw caps. It's hard to teach old dogs new tricks, and there's lots of flawed data on screw caps to be sure.

Had a great trip to your tasting room a few months ago, the Four Kings four year vertical experience was a real treat! Left with several bottles of Pinot, and a bottle of Four Kings. I really enjoy your wines Lucas.

ajrod27

quality posts: 41 Private Messages ajrod27

Glad to see you on the boards Lucas! I've thoroughly enjoyed all your wines to date.

This wine has a very good structure, which I rarely see in wines of this price point. Especially in Pinots.

greyday

quality posts: 55 Private Messages greyday

I've never had a bad bottle of anything Lucas has touched, and as a result I can't turn this down. Which sucks, as I was trying to go on a SIWBM. Damn it, Lucas. In for one.

kylecountryman

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kylecountryman

After all the reviews, I'm willing to drink the cool-aid, plus the wife really likes Pinot Noir. In for two to try it out.

lucasmeeker wrote:Thanks for your support in advance, and if you sell this product out I will personally owe you a high five (probably).

Do I get a high five?

Cyradia

quality posts: 30 Private Messages Cyradia
lucasmeeker wrote:Screwcap should be common on Pinot (and all other wines). I'm not the only one doing relatively high priced Pinot in screwcaps: Loring Wine Company (I think Brian was the first to go full brodie on screwcaps for high end Pinot), AP Vin, etc.

Amen...if I'm not planning to age it, I don't need it to have a cork. Last I tasted in Willamette wineries I was surprised/impressed by how many $75+ bottles of wine (Pinot) they were pouring out of screw caps.

steinhem

quality posts: 0 Private Messages steinhem

How much is shipping to Maryland?
Can't find it in the details.

bigearl8

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bigearl8
blakewoot wrote:I am very tempted by this - first time in a while at woot. Intriguing tasting notes in the write up. Anyone had this recently - perhaps there's a rodent who might chime in? Hmmm... I also notice that it looks like a screw cap, which is not common on Pinot.

It's Russian. They stole a Super Bowl and a NSA spy. Buy American you communist.

rjquillin

quality posts: 189 Private Messages rjquillin

I really can't believe we're seeing this here, especially at this price point. A group of wooters hit the Meeker TR after D&D and tasted through his selections and especially his PN's; this was one of two I purchased, at a substantially higher (club) price.
Thanks to Trifecta!
Quite bright, plenty of fruit (not in a Parker way), a mixture that suggests something like bramble on the nose and palate, and a nice long but subtle finish. At least that's what I remember.

Got this with the intention of forgetting it for some number of years, despite the twist off! Now, with this, and my newley added inventory, I'll get to see how these evolve over an interesting period of time.

Thanks Lucas, and WD! Never thought I'd see this here, especially at $20/bottle.

CT

bougiee

quality posts: 2 Private Messages bougiee

I don't know what it is, but I can never seem to resist a Russian River Pinot. In for 1.

For this time of the year, is it worth the +$3 for 2 day shipping? Not in a hurry to drink to it. More just worried about this 85+ heat in NYC.

lucasmeeker

kylecountryman wrote:After all the reviews, I'm willing to drink the cool-aid, plus the wife really likes Pinot Noir. In for two to try it out.

Do I get a high five?

Yes, but you have to collect it. I don't have that much travel budget.

Lucas Meeker
The Meeker Vineyard
www.meekerwine.com
@meekerwine

Question? Just ask!

lucasmeeker

Cyradia wrote:Amen...if I'm not planning to age it, I don't need it to have a cork. Last I tasted in Willamette wineries I was surprised/impressed by how many $75+ bottles of wine (Pinot) they were pouring out of screw caps.

I want it in screwcap especially if I'm planning to age it.

Really. Wines in cap cellar equally or better IMHO. Data from others supports this.

Lucas Meeker
The Meeker Vineyard
www.meekerwine.com
@meekerwine

Question? Just ask!

lucasmeeker

bsevern wrote:Of course there are those that will (and always do) poo poo Stelvin enclosures, errr make that screw caps. It's hard to teach old dogs new tricks, and there's lots of flawed data on screw caps to be sure.

Had a great trip to your tasting room a few months ago, the Four Kings four year vertical experience was a real treat! Left with several bottles of Pinot, and a bottle of Four Kings. I really enjoy your wines Lucas.

Thanks for your nice words.

You can call it a Stelvin, doesn't bother me. But it's like calling any soda of any brand a Coca Cola. It's Amcor's brand name for their screwcap product.

There might be some flawed data about screwcaps (haven't personally encountered this), but there is one very important piece of data on this issue: Human 2,4,6-TCA perception threshold is 1-3 parts per trillion (!!), and I haven't met a screwcap with TCA on it.

Lucas Meeker
The Meeker Vineyard
www.meekerwine.com
@meekerwine

Question? Just ask!

lucasmeeker

ajrod27 wrote:Glad to see you on the boards Lucas! I've thoroughly enjoyed all your wines to date.

This wine has a very good structure, which I rarely see in wines of this price point. Especially in Pinots.

Over-deliver, under-price, get sweet comments like this one.

Lucas Meeker
The Meeker Vineyard
www.meekerwine.com
@meekerwine

Question? Just ask!

lucasmeeker

greyday wrote:I've never had a bad bottle of anything Lucas has touched, and as a result I can't turn this down. Which sucks, as I was trying to go on a SIWBM. Damn it, Lucas. In for one.

Sorry?

Lucas Meeker
The Meeker Vineyard
www.meekerwine.com
@meekerwine

Question? Just ask!

lucasmeeker

cortot20 wrote:I might be sold on the kool aid man busting through the wall nose descriptor. It's one of my favorite super (/ame) visuals.

OHHH YEAH

Lucas Meeker
The Meeker Vineyard
www.meekerwine.com
@meekerwine

Question? Just ask!

trifecta

Sellout by noon?

Then Lucas might have to go back to work!

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 617 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

kylecountryman wrote:Do I get a high five?

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

zmanonice

quality posts: 21 Private Messages zmanonice

IIRC there were wildfires in the Mendocino area in 2008 and we have run across wines with smoke taint before. Was RRV far enough south so that there are no issues?

Z

moondigger

quality posts: 11 Private Messages moondigger
lucasmeeker wrote:Sorry?

"SIWBM" = Self Imposed Wine Buying Moratorium

I am on one as well, and sadly cannot break it, as enticing as this offer sounds.

lucasmeeker

zmanonice wrote:IIRC there were wildfires in the Mendocino area in 2008 and we have run across wines with smoke taint before. Was RRV far enough south so that there are no issues?

Z

I threw away an 08 PN from Mendo with big smoke taint problems. This wine is 100% clean, and hasn't shown any 4-methylguiacol during its life at any stage.

Lucas Meeker
The Meeker Vineyard
www.meekerwine.com
@meekerwine

Question? Just ask!

lucasmeeker

moondigger wrote:"SIWBM" = Self Imposed Wine Buying Moratorium

I am on one as well, and sadly cannot break it, as enticing as this offer sounds.

Ah yes, I have those with fly fishing stuff. Gotta have more stuff.

Lucas Meeker
The Meeker Vineyard
www.meekerwine.com
@meekerwine

Question? Just ask!

lucasmeeker

trifecta wrote:Sellout by noon?

Then Lucas might have to go back to work!

Or I could spin it as "MISSION ACCOMPLISHED" and go home early. Do it!

Lucas Meeker
The Meeker Vineyard
www.meekerwine.com
@meekerwine

Question? Just ask!

bsevern

quality posts: 110 Private Messages bsevern
lucasmeeker wrote:Thanks for your nice words.

You can call it a Stelvin, doesn't bother me. But it's like calling any soda of any brand a Coca Cola. It's Amcor's brand name for their screwcap product.

There might be some flawed data about screwcaps (haven't personally encountered this), but there is one very important piece of data on this issue: Human 2,4,6-TCA perception threshold is 1-3 parts per trillion (!!), and I haven't met a screwcap with TCA on it.

I wasn't implying that you're an old dog

I agree with you, aside from removing a bit of the pomp and circumstances, I don't have an issue with screwcaps.

dalematthew

quality posts: 24 Private Messages dalematthew

I'm in - sounds intriguing and at a good price point based on some reliable sources above.

lucasmeeker

bsevern wrote:I wasn't implying that you're an old dog

I agree with you, aside from removing a bit of the pomp and circumstances, I don't have an issue with screwcaps.

Right, and I understand the value of pomp and circumstance. And from the perspective of a consumer who is educated enough to identify a corked wine and then get a free replacement, there isn't much motivation for you to worry about it unless you're aging the wine long enough that you won't be able to get a free replacement.

The big problem for us and wineries like us is that a lot of people really can't identify TCA, especially at a very low taint level. Instead, they just think the wine isn't very good, and they permanently etch a first impression that is decidedly negative or just "meh" about us.

And considering that cork taint is a problem on roughly 2-7% of wines finished with cork (and 2 is generously low), that's a lot of potential customers who are, even if they do identify TCA well, coming away with a negative first impression or no first impression. It's just not acceptable to me that 2%+ of my product fails. It's not acceptable in any other industry where the technology can prevent it, and I just don't think it's acceptable for my customers either.

That said, the market still determines this issue. Our most expensive and highest volume high end wines at Meeker are all still in cork. Until the restaurant market in the US can accept high end wine in screwcap, we have to ride the tide on this issue on the high end and high volume stuff. All of our wines that are wine club only or tasting room focused are all in screwcap, even the higher end stuff.

Lucas Meeker
The Meeker Vineyard
www.meekerwine.com
@meekerwine

Question? Just ask!

lucasmeeker

dalematthew wrote:I'm in - sounds intriguing and at a good price point based on some reliable sources above.

Thanks!

Lucas Meeker
The Meeker Vineyard
www.meekerwine.com
@meekerwine

Question? Just ask!

klezman

quality posts: 130 Private Messages klezman

Can't wait to have the time to make it up to see you at the tasting room. Last time was barrel tasting weekend, but we didn't have the time to get that far north.

Thanks for the deal on these, and I'm looking forward to trying them.

2014: 57 bottles. Last wine.woot: 2011 Wellington Cab & Merlot, Roessler 2009 Bluejay, 2010 Bell Cabernet
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

trifecta

lucasmeeker wrote:Or I could spin it as "MISSION ACCOMPLISHED" and go home early. Do it!

That sounds like a good plan. Settle down with some IPA on a cool afternoon in Santa Rosa... ah the life.

What was the production level on this wine? Worried that when the wooters buy it up I might not get another crack at it. Hopefully there will be a small stash for the wine club at a later date, which reminds me I need a restock on some of your other pinots. I can't seem to keep those caps on lately, they have been my go-to.

lucasmeeker

trifecta wrote:That sounds like a good plan. Settle down with some IPA on a cool afternoon in Santa Rosa... ah the life.

What was the production level on this wine? Worried that when the wooters buy it up I might not get another crack at it. Hopefully there will be a small stash for the wine club at a later date, which reminds me I need a restock on some of your other pinots. I can't seem to keep those caps on lately, they have been my go-to.

~240 cases. I've held back about 50 cases for wine club reserve and library. So there will be some left after this sale.

Lucas Meeker
The Meeker Vineyard
www.meekerwine.com
@meekerwine

Question? Just ask!

kylecountryman

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kylecountryman
lucasmeeker wrote:Yes, but you have to collect it. I don't have that much travel budget.

Hmm...now I just need to figure out how to get to Cali...