klezman

quality posts: 126 Private Messages klezman
joelsisk wrote:Holy cow! when was the last time there were 8+ pages of pub?

oh yeah, and HBD Sparkles!

I dunno...how about 9 pages?
Sparky!

2014: 42 bottles. Last wine.woot: 2012 Iron Horse Estate Chardonnay
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

joelsisk

quality posts: 10 Private Messages joelsisk
klezman wrote:I dunno...how about 9 pages?
Sparky!

um. last I checked, 9 = 8+

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22
MarkDaSpark wrote:Thanks! Although you still wished PB & D-Dog a happy birthday too!

We deserve more than a week. Or, at least D-Dog does.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

polarbear22

Happy Birthday Sparky!!!

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
My Cellar

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 185 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
klezman wrote:I dunno...how about 9 pages?
Sparky!

Dang it! You broke my streak!

Edit: And on my Birthday!!!!

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

chemvictim

quality posts: 3 Private Messages chemvictim

Tantrum time. I go to the flooring store to choose some hardwood for the new house, which is an upgrade from carpet so it's going to cost something. Being a budget-minded individual, I ask what it costs and the guy won't tell me . He needs to discuss that with the builder (the builder is the one who sent me over there in the first place so I assumed they'd met). Floor man is "not comfortable" telling me what his product costs, he tells me that like I've asked him for intimate details about his life. I am so not okay with secret pricing. "Here, buy this. I'll tell you what it cost later on."

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 185 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
chemvictim wrote:Tantrum time. I go to the flooring store to choose some hardwood for the new house, which is an upgrade from carpet so it's going to cost something. Being a budget-minded individual, I ask what it costs and the guy won't tell me . He needs to discuss that with the builder (the builder is the one who sent me over there in the first place so I assumed they'd met). Floor man is "not comfortable" telling me what his product costs, he tells me that like I've asked him for intimate details about his life. I am so not okay with secret pricing. "Here, buy this. I'll tell you what it cost later on."

I'd go elsewhere at that point. Telling him he's lost a sale.

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

mommadeb1

quality posts: 18 Private Messages mommadeb1
chemvictim wrote:Tantrum time. I go to the flooring store to choose some hardwood for the new house, which is an upgrade from carpet so it's going to cost something. Being a budget-minded individual, I ask what it costs and the guy won't tell me . He needs to discuss that with the builder (the builder is the one who sent me over there in the first place so I assumed they'd met). Floor man is "not comfortable" telling me what his product costs, he tells me that like I've asked him for intimate details about his life. I am so not okay with secret pricing. "Here, buy this. I'll tell you what it cost later on."

Wiring the Future!? I think I would be telling the builder "if you are sending me to a place that won't tell me the cost...should I be worried about what you charge?"
that is total bs!!

mommadeb1

Output Machine Failing, Guys!!! crazy day!! Took daughter to airport... she was flying Delta (we hate delta but she will be returning with grandparents who love delta) anyhow... checking in was fun... auto check in.. we needed gate passes... so we were looking around and agent asks in a rude voice if we needed anything... told her we needed gate pass... she asked how old daughter was.. we told... then she acted upset she had to walk over to help us... then we were told only 1 of us could go!!! I have never had a problem when she flies southwest with both of us going to gate!!! I finally get us thru security.... then get a call from the place I dropped my van off for oil change... my power steering is leaking badly and need new rack... total before labor $600!!! Lucky for me next door is a mechanic... found parts for $80 and I do not need whole rack!! now getting son ready for his National competition he leaves tomorrow..... aggggg

chemvictim

A (not really) funny thing about the visit to the hardwood place. We drove up, parked, I got out of the car. I hear yelling, "Get on the ground!" and such. I turn and there is a cop stalking up to this guy on the sidewalk, gun drawn (the cop had a gun, not the criminal). I got back in the car and watched with interest.

Turns out the guy had punched his girlfriend out there on the sidewalk and the hardwood place called the cops. Tons of cops showed up. None of them were Lieutenant Dangle, and I was disappointed.

polarbear22

mommadeb1 wrote:Output Machine Failing, Guys!!! crazy day!! Took daughter to airport... she was flying Delta (we hate delta but she will be returning with grandparents who love delta) anyhow... checking in was fun... auto check in.. we needed gate passes... so we were looking around and agent asks in a rude voice if we needed anything... told her we needed gate pass... she asked how old daughter was.. we told... then she acted upset she had to walk over to help us... then we were told only 1 of us could go!!! I have never had a problem when she flies southwest with both of us going to gate!!! I finally get us thru security.... then get a call from the place I dropped my van off for oil change... my power steering is leaking badly and need new rack... total before labor $600!!! Lucky for me next door is a mechanic... found parts for $80 and I do not need whole rack!! now getting son ready for his National competition he leaves tomorrow..... aggggg

Good luck.

My Cellar

kylemittskus

quality posts: 231 Private Messages kylemittskus

SWMBO would have lit that guy up.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

polarbear22

Bowie - can one smoke pork loin? We can get the whole loin boneless. And my wife wants to smoke it.

My Cellar

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
polarbear22 wrote:Bowie - can one smoke pork loin? We can get the whole loin boneless. And my wife wants to smoke it.

You can smoke anything.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

kylemittskus

quality posts: 231 Private Messages kylemittskus
North316 wrote:You can smoke anything.

I don't think this is very good advice.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

chemvictim

polarbear22 wrote:Bowie - can one smoke pork loin? We can get the whole loin boneless. And my wife wants to smoke it.

We smoked a boneless pork loin a few weekends ago and it was soooo good. We don't have a smoker, we just use a weber. We smoked it to around 160 I think, then let it rest under foil for an hour. It was slightly underdone at that point, which is what we wanted because we sliced it thick and gave the slices a quick sear and sauce on the grill. It also worked well for leftovers, as it did not get overdone during reheating. I can't wait to do it again.

pseudogourmet98

quality posts: 18 Private Messages pseudogourmet98

You absolutely can. I put a spice rub on it, wrap it and let it rest in the fridge for a few hours before smoking. Serve with a raspberry chipotle sauce/glaze which I either make or use a bottled one from Costco which is pretty good if I'm feeling lazy.

mother

quality posts: 15 Private Messages mother

Yes you can, but in general cuts with more fat and connective tissue are the ones that respond well to low and slow.

My advice would be:
1) Brine the loin in something like this maple/cider brine for a day or so, 2) Cook with smoke for 1-2hrs.
3) You could continue cooking it at 190-220F in the smoker up to ~125F in the center, but no farther than that.
4) On a hot grill (the more done the tenderloin is coming out of the smoker, the hotter the grill needs to be) sear the outside (wanting it off the grill by 140F).
5) Allow to rest for ~10-15mins and then server.

Pork is totally safe at 145F, and lean cuts are really nice right at that 145-150 range. Because of the brining you can safely take it higher than that, but please stop before 155 on the grill, as 165F is really quite well done for that cut.

mommadeb1

chemvictim wrote:A (not really) funny thing about the visit to the hardwood place. We drove up, parked, I got out of the car. I hear yelling, "Get on the ground!" and such. I turn and there is a cop stalking up to this guy on the sidewalk, gun drawn (the cop had a gun, not the criminal). I got back in the car and watched with interest.

Turns out the guy had punched his girlfriend out there on the sidewalk and the hardwood place called the cops. Tons of cops showed up. None of them were Lieutenant Dangle, and I was disappointed.

ok, that's 2 strikes against the hardwood place!

edit: make that 3 strikes... no Lt. Dangle was the 3rd.....

bahwm

quality posts: 30 Private Messages bahwm

Happy Birthday, Sparky! Hope you pop something great tonight!

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

bahwm

mommadeb1 wrote:Output Machine Failing, Guys!!! crazy day!! Took daughter to airport... she was flying Delta (we hate delta but she will be returning with grandparents who love delta) anyhow... checking in was fun... auto check in.. we needed gate passes... so we were looking around and agent asks in a rude voice if we needed anything... told her we needed gate pass... she asked how old daughter was.. we told... then she acted upset she had to walk over to help us... then we were told only 1 of us could go!!! I have never had a problem when she flies southwest with both of us going to gate!!! I finally get us thru security.... then get a call from the place I dropped my van off for oil change... my power steering is leaking badly and need new rack... total before labor $600!!! Lucky for me next door is a mechanic... found parts for $80 and I do not need whole rack!! now getting son ready for his National competition he leaves tomorrow..... aggggg

Yikes! Lucky you have a neighbor mechanic! What is your son competing in? On that note: our dance instructor is wanting us to start to work on the Viennese Waltz to test out in that in Ocober for our Bronze Level! Yep. We'll see about that. We've been working our poor feet off on samba and mambo these last few weeks!

And, cheron or HAK, how are your dancing lessons coming??????

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

bahwm

I'd be out of there! Good luck!

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
bahwm wrote:Yikes! Lucky you have a neighbor mechanic! What is your son competing in? On that note: our dance instructor is wanting us to start to work on the Viennese Waltz to test out in that in Ocober for our Bronze Level! Yep. We'll see about that. We've been working our poor feet off on samba and mambo these last few weeks!

And, cheron or HAK, how are your dancing lessons coming??????

Dance lessons are next week, so we'll let you know

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

pseudogourmet98

mother wrote:Yes you can, but in general cuts with more fat and connective tissue are the ones that respond well to low and slow (exact opposite of tenderloin). So you can smoke it for a little while to get good flavor on it (30 minutes should be more than enough), but then you'll want to finish it by searing it at high temp until medium doneness.

If you were to smoke it for hours until 195-200 degrees it would be tragically bad.

Edit: I can't disagree strongly enough with some of the above advice. 160F is the absolute highest temperature you would want a boneless pork tenderloin cooked to, you certainly wouldn't leave it on the grill to that temp and then sear it more. I wouldn't take it past 145 personally (smoke for ~30 mins and then grill at high heat until 135-140, then let rest). If you're not comfortable with medium cooked pork then you really need to brine it overnight before cooking it. I'd probably brine it anyhow.

Editx2: You wrote loin, not tenderloin, sorry. I stick by the above, except you could smoke it for longer if you wanted, but I definitely dial back the vehemence of it Still cook to 145, recommend brine, and you could bacon wrap it if you wanted...

Agree on not going past 145° and on the brine option if you are planning ahead. Personally I would skip the bacon wrap; it just ends up tasting like bacon IMHO.

chemvictim

Correction: We smoked our pork loin to 135, not 160. Had to go back and check. Memorialized on facebook, people get tired of food pics but that's the only way I can remember what we did!

Edit: we didn't brine or bacon, but we did inject and rub a few hours ahead.

cmaldoon

quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon
cheron98 wrote:Dance lessons are next week, so we'll let you know

Oooooo dancing! I hope you learn rotary waltz as opposed to box waltz. It is soooo fun to spin around the room like beauty and the beast :-)

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

chemvictim

bahwm wrote:I'd be out of there! Good luck!

I don't think I have an option, this is who the builder is using. Well, my option would be to let them use the standard carpet (in the dining room, not cool for us messy folks!) and change it later.

I will let the builder know that his guy is making him look shady.

mother

quality posts: 15 Private Messages mother
pseudogourmet98 wrote:Agree on not going past 145° and on the brine option if you are planning ahead. Personally I would skip the bacon wrap; it just ends up tasting like bacon IMHO.

Is that a BAD thing? But I agree, particularly with a maple/cider brine it's total overkill.

chemvictim wrote:Correction: We smoked our pork loin to 135, not 160. Had to go back and check. Memorialized on facebook, people get tired of food pics but that's the only way I can remember what we did!

Edit: we didn't brine or bacon, but we did inject and rub a few hours ahead.

That sounds like a much better plan! At ~145 degrees you don't really need to brine, and you would have to forgo the rub, so I'm quite cool with your accuritized plan of attack

pseudogourmet98

mother wrote:That sounds like a much better plan! At ~145 degrees you don't really need to brine, and you would have to forgo the rub, so I'm quite cool with your accuritized plan of attack

Bacon itself is never a bad thing, IMHO, but I do think people "wrap" food in bacon entirely too much. Take scallops, which if prepared properly are divine. Wrap them in bacon and you lose much of the delicate sweetness the have to offer; all you end up tasting is bacon. You would be much better off wrapping them around farm raised tilapia and spending the extra $15/pound on the wine to go with the meal. Again, IMO.

[edit] was trying to reply to the "is bacon a BAD thing..." statement. Not sure what I did wrong.

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg
chemvictim wrote:I don't think I have an option, this is who the builder is using. Well, my option would be to let them use the standard carpet (in the dining room, not cool for us messy folks!) and change it later.

I will let the builder know that his guy is making him look shady.

At the risk of sounding hopelessly naïve, is it not possible to determine from the difference between the earlier agreed upon price, and the price with the upgrade, what he's charging for the hardwood? It seems pretty roundabout, but you certainly haven't signed an open-ended contract with no protection from cost over-runs. I mean, you aren't the US Government, are you?

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg
pseudogourmet98 wrote:Bacon itself is never a bad thing, IMHO, but I do think people "wrap" food in bacon entirely too much. Take scallops, which if prepared properly are divine. Wrap them in bacon and you lose much of the delicate sweetness the have to offer; all you end up tasting is bacon. You would be much better off wrapping them around farm raised tilapia and spending the extra $15/pound on the wine to go with the meal. Again, IMO.

Or you could wrap it around water chestnuts, which have no delicate sweetness to lose. Under the broiler for a 20 minutes, makes a yummy appetizer.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

cortot20

quality posts: 152 Private Messages cortot20

Dr. Toots has a 102 fever but no other symptoms other than being pissed. Tylenol to the rescue.

CT

bahwm

cortot20 wrote:Dr. Toots has a 102 fever but no other symptoms other than being pissed. Tylenol to the rescue.

Oooo, good luck with that!

chemvictim

ddeuddeg wrote:At the risk of sounding hopelessly naïve, is it not possible to determine from the difference between the earlier agreed upon price, and the price with the upgrade, what he's charging for the hardwood? It seems pretty roundabout, but you certainly haven't signed an open-ended contract with no protection from cost over-runs. I mean, you aren't the US Government, are you?

It will be possible to do that when they finally tell me what the price for the upgrade is. There is a bit of planning involved here; different items (such as granite, tile, and hardwood) need to work together or not at all.

Edit: I'm not sure if I answered your question. I'm not required to upgrade anything, and I won't pay for stuff until I do know the cost. But for them to ask me to choose without knowing cost, that is a giant PITA. I have a budget. If prices are secret I can't plan.

pseudogourmet98

ddeuddeg wrote:Or you could wrap it around water chestnuts, which have no delicate sweetness to lose. Under the broiler for a 20 minutes, makes a yummy appetizer.

Agreed. Try soaking the water chestnuts in some soy sauce before you wrap them. Extra yummy.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 585 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

cortot20 wrote:Dr. Toots has a 102 fever but no other symptoms other than being pissed. Tylenol to the rescue.

Teething?

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

cortot20

quality posts: 152 Private Messages cortot20
ThunderThighs wrote:Teething?

I don't know, usually he is grumpy and has a mild fever with teething. This seems more serious. But who knows it could just be a huge tooth coming in.

CT

otolith

quality posts: 22 Private Messages otolith
ThunderThighs wrote:Teething?

Kids will get a fever at the drop of a hat, but not from this. Nor is it a cause of ear infections.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

otolith

chemvictim wrote:It will be possible to do that when they finally tell me what the price for the upgrade is. There is a bit of planning involved here; different items (such as granite, tile, and hardwood) need to work together or not at all.

Edit: I'm not sure if I answered your question. I'm not required to upgrade anything, and I won't pay for stuff until I do know the cost. But for them to ask me to choose without knowing cost, that is a giant PITA. I have a budget. If prices are secret I can't plan.

I believe I recall that we picked out carpet, and didn't know the actual cost until after. And, we came in under budget. It was weird that we didn't know any prices, and the guy at the carpet/flooring store said we would most likely be over our allowance. Only reason we went with them is that our builder had a long-term relationship with the shop, and I think going through our builder was cheaper than if we just walked in off the street.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

otolith

OK, sparky, are you payin' attention? You need to post next to get the TOP!

So, did you actually open a bottle of wine tonight?

--John Muir