cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
otolith wrote:OK, sparky, are you payin' attention? You need to post next to get the TOP!

So, did you actually open a bottle of wine tonight?

I stealz it!

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

ERMD

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ERMD
cortot20 wrote:Dr. Toots has a 102 fever but no other symptoms other than being pissed. Tylenol to the rescue.

Pm sent

cortot20

quality posts: 159 Private Messages cortot20
ERMD wrote:Pm sent

Thanks.

CT

chemvictim

quality posts: 3 Private Messages chemvictim
otolith wrote:I believe I recall that we picked out carpet, and didn't know the actual cost until after. And, we came in under budget. It was weird that we didn't know any prices, and the guy at the carpet/flooring store said we would most likely be over our allowance. Only reason we went with them is that our builder had a long-term relationship with the shop, and I think going through our builder was cheaper than if we just walked in off the street.

That was okay with you? It drives me insaaaaaane. Short trip anyway.

cortot20

otolith wrote:Kids will get a fever at the drop of a hat, but not from this. Nor is it a cause of ear infections.

My little buddy seems to run a mild fever when his teething is at its worst.

CT

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 187 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
bahwm wrote:Yikes! Lucky you have a neighbor mechanic! What is your son competing in? On that note: our dance instructor is wanting us to start to work on the Viennese Waltz to test out in that in Ocober for our Bronze Level! Yep. We'll see about that. We've been working our poor feet off on samba and mambo these last few weeks!

And, cheron or HAK, how are your dancing lessons coming??????

Don't get me started on the BiL and Sister dancing! They've taken dance lessons for years, and she is very good. Sadly, my BiL has no rhythm. It's painful to watch.

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark

otolith wrote:OK, sparky, are you payin' attention? You need to post next to get the TOP!

So, did you actually open a bottle of wine tonight?

Sadly, was out and about. Besides, Klez ruined it. The dastard!

IH Bubbly!

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark

cheron98 wrote:I stealz it!

I found your new angry image ...

cortot20

MarkDaSpark wrote:Don't get me started on the BiL and Sister dancing! They've taken dance lessons for years, and she is very good. Sadly, my BiL has no rhythm. It's painful to watch.

I've always enjoyed watching him dance..........not for good reasons though. I can't look away from a train wreck.

CT

rjquillin

quality posts: 183 Private Messages rjquillin
kylemittskus wrote:I don't think this is very good advice.

This made me giggle.
Must be I grew up in the 60's.

CT

rjquillin

quality posts: 183 Private Messages rjquillin

Supper:
Port and chocolate.
Do need help?

CT

MarkDaSpark

Thanks everyone (even Kyle!) for the kind thoughts for my birthday.

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
chemvictim wrote:Tantrum time. I go to the flooring store to choose some hardwood for the new house, which is an upgrade from carpet so it's going to cost something. Being a budget-minded individual, I ask what it costs and the guy won't tell me . He needs to discuss that with the builder (the builder is the one who sent me over there in the first place so I assumed they'd met). Floor man is "not comfortable" telling me what his product costs, he tells me that like I've asked him for intimate details about his life. I am so not okay with secret pricing. "Here, buy this. I'll tell you what it cost later on."

So here's the deal, his price, waaaayyyyy lower than your price. Flooring guy doesn't want you to know what he's willing to sell it to the contractor for because then you'll be coming back asking for that price when you redo something. If it really bothers you so much, demand an itemized receipt from your contractor for the cost of all the materials.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

bhodilee

polarbear22 wrote:Bowie - can one smoke pork loin? We can get the whole loin boneless. And my wife wants to smoke it.

Contrary to what everyone else has told you, this is a HORRIBLE idea.

But only because I'm not going to be there to eat it.

I haven't smoked one yet because my wife doesn't like pork. I've smoked lots of Pork Chops though and they.are.good.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

bhodilee

cheron98 wrote:I stealz it!

Ha, I love it

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316

Since we are on the topic of smoking meats, I finally put my smoker to use last weekend.

Got a whole pork shoulder from Costco (two pieces, about 6 lb each). Put together a carolina style rub. Injected the shoulder with a mixture of apple juice, apple cider vinegar and some of the rub. Then smothered it in rub and let it sit for nearly 24 hours in the fridge.

Started the smoking process at about 9:45 on Saturday morning (fairly basic electric smoker, so no temperature setting, I think it runs right around 200 depending on the temp outside). Used pecan wood chips with good ratio of apple juice to water in the water bowl.

Observations: My smoker tears through the wood chips. I had to add more at least every hour; definitely going to switch to wood chunks when I am through with all of the chips. I was planning about 8-9 hours smoke time, but I was definitely wrong there. It was done enough around 7pm that I ripped a hunk off so we could eat dinner and not starve, but I kept cooking them until about 10:30 pm, and they were still not yet all fall-apart as I would have liked them to be.

I did keep adding wood chips for about the first 5 hours of the process and periodically sprayed with some apple juice. The way my smoker is built, adding wood chips means releasing a lot of heat from the smoker and I think this significantly increased cooking time. In the future I will use bigger chunks and for less time. I will also likely cook less meat at one time and if doing pork shoulder, will cut them into smaller pieces for faster smoking.

All in all, it was a good first experience. I will definitely need to tweak the rub as well, it had some pretty good kick to it and was a little over-powering on the sweetness of the pork (decent amount of chili powder and cayenne in the rub). I have some of it left and will cut it with extra white and brown sugar.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

bhodilee

North316 wrote:Since we are on the topic of smoking meats, I finally put my smoker to use last weekend.

Got a whole pork shoulder from Costco (two pieces, about 6 lb each). Put together a carolina style rub. Injected the shoulder with a mixture of apple juice, apple cider vinegar and some of the rub. Then smothered it in rub and let it sit for nearly 24 hours in the fridge.

Started the smoking process at about 9:45 on Saturday morning (fairly basic electric smoker, so no temperature setting, I think it runs right around 200 depending on the temp outside). Used pecan wood chips with good ratio of apple juice to water in the water bowl.

Observations: My smoker tears through the wood chips. I had to add more at least every hour; definitely going to switch to wood chunks when I am through with all of the chips. I was planning about 8-9 hours smoke time, but I was definitely wrong there. It was done enough around 7pm that I ripped a hunk off so we could eat dinner and not starve, but I kept cooking them until about 10:30 pm, and they were still not yet all fall-apart as I would have liked them to be.

I did keep adding wood chips for about the first 5 hours of the process and periodically sprayed with some apple juice. The way my smoker is built, adding wood chips means releasing a lot of heat from the smoker and I think this significantly increased cooking time. In the future I will use bigger chunks and for less time. I will also likely cook less meat at one time and if doing pork shoulder, will cut them into smaller pieces for faster smoking.

All in all, it was a good first experience. I will definitely need to tweak the rub as well, it had some pretty good kick to it and was a little over-powering on the sweetness of the pork (decent amount of chili powder and cayenne in the rub). I have some of it left and will cut it with extra white and brown sugar.

Chili or Chile powder? Cause one is for making the stew type substance (I'm ok with beans, doesn't bother me [though out here chili is meat and chili soup has beans, farmers!]) the other is just ground dried peppers and better for everything in my opinion.

I like to use a generous amount of good Chile powder (dark red) and Paprika (also a pepper I know) as my base, then just go from there depending on my mood. Constants are garlic, crushed dried oregano and cumin though.

mother

quality posts: 15 Private Messages mother
North316 wrote:Since we are on the topic of smoking meats, I finally put my smoker to use last weekend.

Awesome. You really only need to add smoke for the first 2-3 hours, makes life much easier.

[BTW I concur about chips- I also use them because I bought a gigantic supply before realizing I really should use chunks. I'll switch in 10 or so years when I run out ;)]

Favorite investment besides the smoker was a good probe thermometer setup.

I don't inject (primarily because I once bought an injector and blew it apart on its maiden use and had to clean the ceiling, walls of the next room, etc. and have been gunshy since) but for a rub I've been pretty happy with Memphis Dust on my butts, even though its meant as a rib rub...

mother

bhodilee wrote:
I like to use a generous amount of good Chile powder (dark red) and Paprika (also a pepper I know) as my base, then just go from there depending on my mood. Constants are garlic, crushed dried oregano and cumin though.

Have you ever tried a good hot paprika? I'm partial to Hungarian, but the spanish also make a good one.

PS Were you just giving the recipe for chili powder at the end there? Because you did ;)

PPS I don't put no stinking beans in my Chili neither.

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
bhodilee wrote:Chili or Chile powder? Cause one is for making the stew type substance (I'm ok with beans, doesn't bother me [though out here chili is meat and chili soup has beans, farmers!]) the other is just ground dried peppers and better for everything in my opinion.

I used chili powder, not chile powder, maybe I need to reconcider that.

The rub was pretty much equal parts chili powder, cayenne, fresh ground black peper,brown sugar, granulated sugar, salt and cumin, with more than equal part paprika. I also added some garlic powder, onion powder and some ground mustard seed.

The only way to make chili is without beans.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

bhodilee

mother wrote:Have you ever tried a good hot paprika? I'm partial to Hungarian, but the spanish also make a good one.

PS Were you just giving the recipe for chili powder at the end there? Because you did ;)

PPS I don't put no stinking beans in my Chili neither.

I know, but I get to control the levels of everything that way. I'm not a fan of a lot of Cumin so I cut WAY back on that over the commercial crap. And I love Hungarian Paprika!

otolith

quality posts: 24 Private Messages otolith

12 hrs to smoke a pork butt? Holy crap!

Guess I was thinking 6-8 hrs. Plan on doing one in a couple weeks. Have a brisket for the 4th, that I am anxiously awaiting to make.

I would also second the memphis dust recipe. It is awesome.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

otolith

chemvictim wrote:That was okay with you? It drives me insaaaaaane. Short trip anyway.

My wife went to that one. Also, I think our cost was cheaper through our builder than it would be if we went in ourselves. The fact it came in under our allowance made it not overly bothersome, but I don't know if we'd go back there. Their installers, however, did an awesome job with the tile and the carpet, and I would go to them again for that. I am such a stickler for details, and I couldn't find anything in their work to complain about. The drywallers, otoh, were ok...

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

bhodilee

otolith wrote:My wife went to that one. Also, I think our cost was cheaper through our builder than it would be if we went in ourselves. The fact it came in under our allowance made it not overly bothersome, but I don't know if we'd go back there. Their installers, however, did an awesome job with the tile and the carpet, and I would go to them again for that. I am such a stickler for details, and I couldn't find anything in their work to complain about. The drywallers, otoh, were ok...

the guy that's gonna do my kitchen is the guy that did my windows, he's a crazy perfectionist and he told me "everyone sucks at drywall, some of us are just better at hiding our failings"

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 32 Private Messages ddeuddeg
chemvictim wrote:It will be possible to do that when they finally tell me what the price for the upgrade is. There is a bit of planning involved here; different items (such as granite, tile, and hardwood) need to work together or not at all.

Edit: I'm not sure if I answered your question. I'm not required to upgrade anything, and I won't pay for stuff until I do know the cost. But for them to ask me to choose without knowing cost, that is a giant PITA. I have a budget. If prices are secret I can't plan.

Didn't really mean to be asking a question, actually. It's really none of my business, just trying to provide a possibly useful suggestion. Good luck with all the planning. Don't think we'll ever be looking at a new build here. We love living where we are in the city.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 32 Private Messages ddeuddeg
pseudogourmet98 wrote:Agreed. Try soaking the water chestnuts in some soy sauce before you wrap them. Extra yummy.

I knew that, but forgot to mention it. SWMBO is the one who usually handles that one.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

chemvictim

quality posts: 3 Private Messages chemvictim
otolith wrote:My wife went to that one. Also, I think our cost was cheaper through our builder than it would be if we went in ourselves. The fact it came in under our allowance made it not overly bothersome, but I don't know if we'd go back there. Their installers, however, did an awesome job with the tile and the carpet, and I would go to them again for that. I am such a stickler for details, and I couldn't find anything in their work to complain about. The drywallers, otoh, were ok...

I'm sure it will work out. I am just not good at this. I'm going to be way past insane by the time this is over.

rpm

quality posts: 177 Private Messages rpm

Anybody else get a note from woot that the 2009 Scott Harvey Reserve Barbara was out of stock and woot proposes to replace it with the 2011?

This is a real pity - I ordered multiple and was really looking forward to the 2009 in a few years.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

mother

rpm wrote:Anybody else get a note from woot that the 2009 Scott Harvey Reserve Barbara was out of stock and woot proposes to replace it with the 2011?

This is a real pity - I ordered multiple and was really looking forward to the 2009 in a few years.

DRATS! Yes I also got the email.

I wonder how they made that big a mistake?

Edit: And something is rank in the state of Denmark- They are NOT out of 2009.

cortot20

Ended up being hand foot and mouth for dr. Toots. A bummer.

CT

mommadeb1

quality posts: 18 Private Messages mommadeb1
bahwm wrote:Yikes! Lucky you have a neighbor mechanic! What is your son competing in? On that note: our dance instructor is wanting us to start to work on the Viennese Waltz to test out in that in Ocober for our Bronze Level! Yep. We'll see about that. We've been working our poor feet off on samba and mambo these last few weeks!

son is competing in the national TSA (no not the security people) ... he is in Inventions and Innovation..plus he helps the other teams...robotics, computer gaming.....

mommadeb1

good luck with the new dances!!

mommadeb1

cortot20 wrote:Dr. Toots has a 102 fever but no other symptoms other than being pissed. Tylenol to the rescue.

lucky no other symptoms! good luck!!

rpm

mother wrote:DRATS! Yes I also got the email.

I wonder how they made that big a mistake?

Edit: And something is rank in the state of Denmark- They are NOT out of 2009.

Did you get that they are not out of 2009 from Scott directly? I understood from the woot powers it was a set up problem and there is no 2009 for anyone on that deal.

Gotta say not a happy camper here, wants me some '09.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

mommadeb1

cortot20 wrote:Ended up being hand foot and mouth for dr. Toots. A bummer.

aww.. hope dr. toots is feeling better soon!

klezman

quality posts: 130 Private Messages klezman
joelsisk wrote:um. last I checked, 9 = 8+

hahahaha...truth.

2014: 42 bottles. Last wine.woot: 2012 Iron Horse Estate Chardonnay
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

klezman

quality posts: 130 Private Messages klezman
rpm wrote:Did you get that they are not out of 2009 from Scott directly? I understood from the woot powers it was a set up problem and there is no 2009 for anyone on that deal.

Gotta say not a happy camper here, wants me some '09.

Yeah, I also got the email...how could they make a mistake that there was no 2009 at all?? I was figuring the 2009 would be at drinking window now/soon but 2011 will need to sit for quite a while before it's ready for prime time.

2014: 42 bottles. Last wine.woot: 2012 Iron Horse Estate Chardonnay
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

otolith

chemvictim wrote:I'm sure it will work out. I am just not good at this. I'm going to be way past insane by the time this is over.

Well, if your husband needs a drink, or a break, send him on up.

--John Muir

rpm

klezman wrote:Yeah, I also got the email...how could they make a mistake that there was no 2009 at all?? I was figuring the 2009 would be at drinking window now/soon but 2011 will need to sit for quite a while before it's ready for prime time.

Not to mention the difference in the quality of the vintages....

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 605 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

cortot20 wrote:Ended up being hand foot and mouth for dr. Toots. A bummer.

Awwwww. Hope it's a speedy recovery.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items