+ Add a Comment

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 178 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

PoSt away folks!!

(Really? Joatmon pops in for one week and disappears?)

Planning a Birthday Week, Birthday week info #2. To give you guys some ideas of what to plan for me to do for this week.

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark

cjsiege wrote:List of previous WW gatherings by area. New list in the Gatherings tab and Old list in the Community tab. Great reading and great examples of how to set up a Get-Together Thread.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Upcoming Woot Wine Gatherings…All The News for the week of June 23

Happy Solstice, Everyone! Attend or Host a Get-Together in your area!

July
7/13: SoCal #27: Sparky & zTimBz Wine Locker Redux (Sukieasa in town)

August
8/3? TBD: NorCal #19: WineSmith BBQ in Santa Rosa
8/3: Minnesota #21 8-3-13
8/10: Omaha #1: Is there critical mass?
8/10 & 8/17: zTimBz's Bday / SoCal #28 - If we open them, he will come
8/24: The Wootception!!!

Pending
TBD: SeaTac & Western Washington Interest Thread.
TBD: NYC Tasting #??: A Tribute (interest thread)
TBD: NorCal #?: Open invitation to the New Muscardini Tasting Room

No events in your area??? Start one! Create an interest thread in the GATHERINGS Community Tab.

So join or create a WW Gathering!

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark

Happy Birthday to Nallie and Neilfindswine!!

Happy Birthday to Nallie and Neilfindswine!!!

☆¸.•°*”˜˜”*°•.¸☆ ★ ☆¸.•°*”˜˜”*°•.¸☆
╔╗╔╦══╦═╦═╦╗╔╗ ★ ★ ★
║╚╝║══║═║═║╚╝║ ☆¸.•°*”˜˜”*°•.¸☆
║╔╗║╔╗║╔╣╔╩╗╔╝ ★ ☆ BIRTHDAY !!
╚╝╚╩╝╚╩╝╚╝═╚╝ ♥¥☆★☆★☆¥♥ ★☆

rjquillin

quality posts: 170 Private Messages rjquillin

HB Neil!

CT

bahwm

quality posts: 27 Private Messages bahwm
rjquillin wrote:HB Neil!

Dude, posting at 4 am?

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

richardhod

quality posts: 261 Private Messages richardhod

Hello peeps. Only posting occcasionally, but I thought you might like to dissect this:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2013/jun/23/wine-tasting-junk-science-analysis

bahwm

quality posts: 27 Private Messages bahwm

Happy Birthday, Ms Nallie & Neil! Enjoy!

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

otolith

quality posts: 22 Private Messages otolith

Happy Birthday Neil and Nallie!

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

otolith

quality posts: 22 Private Messages otolith
rjquillin wrote:We did about the same thing here. When we moved in in '90, the following year we had lots of nasty storms. Not like yours, but a lot of downed trees and limbs and many outages for hours and at one point lasting into days. After the second short one, I grabbed a 7KW unit and plugged it into the dryer outlet we don't use; propane dryer. A couple tugs and it starts up, main breaker off, dryer breaker on and all is good. Can't run the well pump or A/C, and at night the microwave is dicey with other loads, but all the essentials are in place. Have three UPS units on critical computing and communication devices.
Now, if only the PV system would work during an outage...

Worst part is not being able to use our plumbing, since we have an ejector system to pump it to the sewage line in the street...

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

cmaldoon

quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon
richardhod wrote:Hello peeps. Only posting occcasionally, but I thought you might like to dissect this:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2013/jun/23/wine-tasting-junk-science-analysis

That article only partially jibes with my experience. About 2 years ago I hosted a blind tasting of 8 Cabernets. I had tasted perhaps 1 of them before. They had MSRPs between $2 and $60. While tasting, I poured out 2 of my tastes as plonk and barely accepted a third. These happened to be the cheapest 3 and all tasted like plonk. Above that, style became as much an object as quality.

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg
richardhod wrote:Hello peeps. Only posting occcasionally, but I thought you might like to dissect this:

There's a wonderful article linked in the penultimate paragraph. Don't miss it.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

cmaldoon

ddeuddeg wrote:There's a wonderful article linked in the penultimate paragraph. Don't miss it.

Wait..... Which link? I didn't see any in that paragraph

My Cellar

MarkDaSpark

cmaldoon wrote:Wait..... Which link? I didn't see any in that paragraph

I was wondering that myself, but then figured senility is finally getting to D-dog.

I keed! I keed!

Cause you know he's a smart cookie to have married bahwm!

ddeuddeg

cmaldoon wrote:Wait..... Which link? I didn't see any in that paragraph

Not a lot of color contrast, so I nearly overlooked it. It's the portion in quotation marks in the following:

PUNGENT OVERTONES

In 2007, Richard E Quandt, a Princeton economics professor, published a paper entitled "On Wine Bullshit: Some New Software?" The study...

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

ddeuddeg

MarkDaSpark wrote:....you know he's a very lucky cookie to have married bahwm!

IFTFY.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus

Guy in the main thread... don't know what he wants... making no sense... you don't want to see me angry!!!

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

CAGrl

quality posts: 13 Private Messages CAGrl
kylemittskus wrote:Guy in the main thread... don't know what he wants... making no sense... you don't want to see me angry!!!

I wonder if you can ban people from posting... He/she is irking me too.

kylemittskus

CAGrl wrote:I wonder if you can ban people from posting... He/she is irking me too.

Posting here instead of making a real ad hominem attack...

Holy S***, this guy is so unbelievably annoying.

ddeuddeg

kylemittskus wrote:Posting here instead of making a real ad hominem attack...

They should lock him in a room with mdkopper.

chemvictim

quality posts: 3 Private Messages chemvictim
kylemittskus wrote:Posting here instead of making a real ad hominem attack...

I don't know what sort of response he is hoping for...maybe the winemaker will hop on a private jet and personally serve him some samples from a sippy cup.

I try to stay out of the main thread lest I be convinced to buy something. Of course now that I've looked, I want to buy this. Sigh.

CAGrl

ddeuddeg wrote:They should lock him in a room with mdkopper.

And now he's attacking you. Seriously this person has issues. Especially since he's touting what a wonderful cellar he/she has and how much money he/she can spend. I mean, you and Kyle are nice people. And you get attacked for pointing out flaws in his/her posts for attacking people needlessly. I knew there was a reason I don't read the main thread anymore.

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
kylemittskus wrote:Guy in the main thread... don't know what he wants... making no sense... you don't want to see me angry!!!

If I wasn't under the weather I would have made the same comments to him earlier in the morning.

Also, thanks for telling me my tasting notes suck.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
ddeuddeg wrote:They should lock him in a room with mdkopper.

and beer.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

MarkDaSpark

ddeuddeg wrote:IFTFY.

No need for the correction. We already knew that!!

ddeuddeg

North316 wrote:and beer.

Coors Lite.

ddeuddeg

CAGrl wrote:And now he's attacking you. Seriously this person has issues. Especially since he's touting what a wonderful cellar he/she has and how much money he/she can spend. I mean, you and Kyle are nice people. And you get attacked for pointing out flaws in his/her posts for attacking people needlessly. I knew there was a reason I don't read the main thread anymore.

Actually, his response to me was pretty civil, IMO, especially considering that I affected a conciliatory tone, and then concluded with remarks that were anything but conciliatory. Notice he mentioned a few things where he thought he could make a point, and carefully avoided all of the statements with which he had no hope of mounting an argument, thus avoiding any admission that he is somehow imperfect.

ddeuddeg

MarkDaSpark wrote:No need for the correction. We already knew that!!

Of course you did. Did you find that link?

kylemittskus

CAGrl wrote: I mean, you and Kyle are nice people.

This statement is only half true. Guess which half.

Hint: I'm not the nice one.

CAGrl

ddeuddeg wrote:Actually, his response to me was pretty civil, IMO, especially considering that I affected a conciliatory tone, and then concluded with remarks that were anything but conciliatory. Notice he mentioned a few things where he thought he could make a point, and carefully avoided all of the statements with which he had no hope of mounting an argument, thus avoiding any admission that he is somehow imperfect.

His tone is civil but to me it also comes off as condescending taken together with all that he has said. And comes off just argumentative and wants to point out flaws and ignore his imperfections and flaws.

Got tired of writing he/she.

CAGrl

kylemittskus wrote:This statement is only half true. Guess which half.

Hint: I'm not the nice one.

Hahaha. You're nice and civil. But we'll try to keep that a secret.

kylemittskus

I can't stop. He's such a water cooler!!!

ddeuddeg

kylemittskus wrote:This statement is only half true. (snip)

When I first read this, I overlooked that it was a response to CAGrl, and thought it was some variation of the Liar's Paradox.

neilfindswine

quality posts: 168 Private Messages neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

otolith wrote:Happy Birthday Neil and Nallie!

Thank you kindly. Today WILL NOT be a 'no-wine Monday' at my house.

I report to winedavid39...
...I like getting PM's from wannabe rodents...

ddeuddeg

kylemittskus wrote:I can't stop. He's such a douche!!!

I know what you mean. I've been behaving myself fairly well on here lately, except for the occasional gentle poke at the Coors Lite guy. I managed OK today until he started in on my buddy Kyle. Then I lost it.

joelsisk

quality posts: 8 Private Messages joelsisk
neilfindswine wrote:Thank you kindly. Today WILL NOT be a 'no-wine Monday' at my house.

what on earth is a "no-wine Monday"?

Every day can be winesgiving.

Oh, and Happy Birthday!

cmaldoon

I don't know why everyone is getting run up in the main thread. If everyone would simply stop tossing bits of wood on the fire it would quickly die.

My Cellar

cmaldoon

CAGrl wrote:Hahaha. You're nice and civil. But we'll try to keep that a secret.

Nice and civil yes, but rarely both at once ;-)

My Cellar

CAGrl

cmaldoon wrote:Nice and civil yes, but rarely both at once ;-)

Very true.

ddeuddeg

CAGrl wrote:Very true.

Playing with fire, you two.
Fortunately, with friends, you can get away with this kind of teasing, and no one gets upset. Kyle and I used to go at it pretty good a while back, until we figured out we're really just friends who haven't actually met yet. One of the great beauties of wine.woot is the friendships we've formed over the years. Where else could you get invited to dinner, just because you'd be in Buffalo taking the bar exam? And we wouldn't have taken no for an answer.

CAGrl

ddeuddeg wrote:Playing with fire, you two.
Fortunately, with friends, you can get away with this kind of teasing, and no one gets upset. Kyle and I used to go at it pretty good a while back, until we figured out we're really just friends who haven't actually met yet. One of the great beauties of wine.woot is the friendships we've formed over the years. Where else could you get invited to dinner, just because you'd be in Buffalo taking the bar exam? And we wouldn't have taken no for an answer.

It was fun telling my husband that some guy was going to come to my hotel room to pick me up to take me to dinner with people I've never met in real life. Should have seen the look he gave me. It was a blast!

And I was just telling him last night that we need to do a trip out that way.