slm9951

quality posts: 14 Private Messages slm9951
redwinefan wrote:Speaking of wine & calories, I almost gagged a little when I went to my local mega wine store today and saw "Skinny Girl Wine" boasting that it was 100 calories on the outside.

I didn't examine it closely to see the varietal, location, or vintage, but the calorie count was definitely more prominent than any of those on the bottle.

Any low alcohol, low RS wine should be able to hit around 100 calories a glass. No reason to buy plonk (I'm assuming that's what Skinny Girl Wine is). Also, the other option is just to drink less of a better wine

And it is plonk!!!

chipgreen

quality posts: 187 Private Messages chipgreen
myfester wrote:Ok...I actually have a wine question (I'm still learning about wines...yeah..I got into it late in life so I'm catching up). Right now I drink a sweet red (Riuniti Lambrusco is one of my favs). But want to slowly slide into a less sweet, mainly due to the sugar count. I know I don't like a wine that makes you grimace because it's so dry, and I don't care for 'oak' flavors.

So, that being said,any recommendations of types of wines to look for?

What really sucks is that I live in PA, so can't even get any of these Woot wines (I'm whining).

Apothic Red
Menage a Trois
Jam Jar Shiraz

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
chipgreen wrote:Apothic Red
Menage a Trois
Jam Jar Shiraz

My gut reaction was "BLECK." Then, I re-read the request and I think these are a great place to start. Widely available, under $15/btl, and very "non-red drinking friendly."

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg
kylemittskus wrote:My gut reaction was "BLECK." Then, I re-read the request and I think these are a great place to start. Widely available, under $15/btl, and very "non-red drinking friendly."

I'd have had the same reaction, if I hadn't already posted a response. As it is, for a beginner wanting to head away from sweet wines gradually, but grimacing at really dry reds, I like these suggestions even better than mine.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

rjquillin

quality posts: 173 Private Messages rjquillin
bsevern wrote:It's usually not the wine calories I worry about so much as much as it is whatever might accompany the wine

Cigars have calories?!

CT

chipgreen

kylemittskus wrote:My gut reaction was "BLECK." Then, I re-read the request and I think these are a great place to start. Widely available, under $15/btl, and very "non-red drinking friendly."

I figured they were a good jumping off point from Riunite Lambrusco.

myfester

quality posts: 4 Private Messages myfester

I TOTALLY appreciate your suggestions. And I'm sure if I take it gradually, my (unsophisticated) palette will learn to appreciate more wines, esp ones with a lower RS.

Part of my problem is I live in a rural area with pretty tiny state wine stores nearby. I will say that the store staff have been helpful in recommendations and taught me a bit of RS (I had NO idea all that went in to making sweet wines.) They don't do wine tastings out this way (not cost effective). I work 7/days a wk, so don't get to get out of town to get to a store that does :p

Also why I look for inexpensive wines to try. If I don't like...not a big loss...just don't want to keep wasting money.

moondigger

quality posts: 11 Private Messages moondigger
redwinefan wrote:Any low alcohol, low RS wine should be able to hit around 100 calories a glass.

Most dry whites come in at roughly 120 calories per glass. Most dry reds are around 125. I'm not sure what "magic" the Skinny Girl wines use to reduce calories by ~20%, but that's not an insignificant reduction. If it's due solely to lower alcohol content then it's a fairly marked reduction that can't help but alter the flavor and balance of the wine.

redwinefan

quality posts: 74 Private Messages redwinefan
moondigger wrote:Most dry whites come in at roughly 120 calories per glass. Most dry reds are around 125. I'm not sure what "magic" the Skinny Girl wines use to reduce calories by ~20%, but that's not an insignificant reduction. If it's due solely to lower alcohol content then it's a fairly marked reduction that can't help but alter the flavor and balance of the wine.

Yes, all the "diet" wines that are marketed as such are very low in alc.

"You need to invest in a corkscrew. Wine is for drinking." -- Peter Wellington

chipgreen

Water. It's in your skinny wine sopping up the grape juice.

redwinefan

quality posts: 74 Private Messages redwinefan
chipgreen wrote:Water. It's in your skinny wine sopping up the grape juice.

1. Add 20% water to bulk purchased cheap white wine
2. Post 100 Calories/glass very large on the label
3. Market in "diet wine" category
4. Profit?

"You need to invest in a corkscrew. Wine is for drinking." -- Peter Wellington

highaltitudehigh

quality posts: 0 Private Messages highaltitudehigh
bsevern wrote:It's usually not the wine calories I worry about so much as much as it is whatever might accompany the wine

This.