WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Poll: Do you worry about gaining weight from the wine you drink?
  • 51.2% - No, I don't drink enough for it to matter 982
  • 36.1% - No, the pleasure is worth the calories 692
  • 12.8% - Yes, I limit my wine intake due to weight-related concerns 245
1919 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

curtisuxor

quality posts: 56 Private Messages curtisuxor

Just skip a meal before you drink. Requires less wine to get a buzz and you don't add empty calories on top of it.

SneezyKevinA

quality posts: 3 Private Messages SneezyKevinA

I work out on a regular basis.

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
SneezyKevinA wrote:I work out on a regular basis.

I was gonna ask if you work out, you're looking pretty buff lately.

I also work out, I do a shitload of glass curls.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

daveinwarshington

quality posts: 11 Private Messages daveinwarshington

I drink microbrews.

chipgreen

quality posts: 173 Private Messages chipgreen
bhodilee wrote:I was gonna ask if you work out, you're looking pretty buff lately.

I also work out, I do a shitload of glass curls.

Slipped one by the filters, nice!

circusninja

quality posts: 8 Private Messages circusninja

Not again! Another week with only one Wine Woot poll! You will rue the day WOOT!

philosopherott

quality posts: 2 Private Messages philosopherott

why only one poll a week here?

cycokiller

quality posts: 6 Private Messages cycokiller
philosopherott wrote:why only one poll a week here?

A week? Hasn't it been like a month?!?!

4F682120446F6E277420746F756368206D652074686572652100

alexasnows

quality posts: 0 Private Messages alexasnows

This question was posted before, if we are going to have a wine section can we please talk about wine? I mean seriously can we just talk about wine?

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 25 Private Messages ddeuddeg
alexasnows wrote:This question was posted before, if we are going to have a wine section can we please talk about wine? I mean seriously can we just talk about wine?

This is a wine website, not a whine website.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

kylemittskus

quality posts: 228 Private Messages kylemittskus
ddeuddeg wrote:This is a wine website, not a whine website.

Wait... I thought this was a beer forum.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

ddeuddeg

kylemittskus wrote:Wait... I thought this was a beer forum.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

billypuppy

quality posts: 2 Private Messages billypuppy

I never worry about weight gain. That's the reason "Rascals" were invented.

"Three generations of imbeciles is enough".
Oliver Wendell Holmes

alexasnows

This is a wine website, not a whine website.

Yes and not one is talking about wine.

kylemittskus

alexasnows wrote:Yes and not one is talking about wine.

What?!

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
kylemittskus wrote:What?!

Don't worry, he's had too much wine.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

pinkedpanda

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pinkedpanda
cycokiller wrote:A week? Hasn't it been like a month?!?!

I lost track of time after I hit the last vote button. Pretty sure it's been forever!

Boop

kylemittskus

pinkedpanda wrote:I lost track of time after I hit the last vote button. Pretty sure it's been forever!

Now you're just being hyperbolic.

chemvictim

quality posts: 3 Private Messages chemvictim

I worry about it, and drink it anyway.

pseudogourmet98

quality posts: 15 Private Messages pseudogourmet98

Wait!!! Wine has calories???? I'm sure I was told that all the calories were extracted before bottling. It must be all those screw tops. Someone must come along at some point, maybe during shipping and let's all the damn calories back in. Who knew?

redwinefan

quality posts: 74 Private Messages redwinefan

As long as you don't drink sweet wines, it is pretty difficult to gain a ton of weight off of wine. If it were easy, I'd be huge by now.

"You need to invest in a corkscrew. Wine is for drinking." -- Peter Wellington

circusninja

That's it Woot, you are off the Christmas card list. Only one poll a week? Nope, that kind of mediocre effort will not earn you any mass produced, rubber stamped card this coming Christmas season.

slm9951

quality posts: 14 Private Messages slm9951

I worry but I still drink red wine because I love/need/want and enjoy it immensley!!! However, pounds are going on easier the older I get. It is a wonderful relaxing fix in the evening!

myfester

quality posts: 4 Private Messages myfester

Ok...I actually have a wine question (I'm still learning about wines...yeah..I got into it late in life so I'm catching up). Right now I drink a sweet red (Riuniti Lambrusco is one of my favs). But want to slowly slide into a less sweet, mainly due to the sugar count. I know I don't like a wine that makes you grimace because it's so dry, and I don't care for 'oak' flavors.

So, that being said,any recommendations of types of wines to look for?

What really sucks is that I live in PA, so can't even get any of these Woot wines (I'm whining).

hoomgar

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hoomgar

Every time you guys put the same poll up a kitten dies. Just so you know.

mdkopper

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mdkopper

Same poll for days.. What happened to the guy that writes the wine poll? is he in Re-hab?

mdkopper

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mdkopper

[quote postid="5485188" user="myfester"]Ok...I actually have a wine question (I'm still learning about wines...yeah..I got into it late in life so I'm catching up). Right now I drink a sweet red (Riuniti Lambrusco is one of my favs). But want to slowly slide into a less sweet, mainly due to the sugar count. I know I don't like a wine that makes you grimace because it's so dry, and I don't care for 'oak' flavors.

---------------------------------------
Boone's Farm is the way you may won't to go..

bhodilee

hoomgar wrote:Every time you guys put the same poll up a kitten dies. Just so you know.

do you know how many feral cats are in America? This isn't a problem

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

hoomgar

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hoomgar
bhodilee wrote:do you know how many feral cats are in America? This isn't a problem

LOL! Totally killed the joke ;)

circusninja

Without a daily poll here, my life has lost all meaning. Daily I drift through the motions and interactions without purpose.

bhodilee

circusninja wrote:Without a daily poll here, my life has lost all meaning. Daily I drift through the motions and interactions without purpose.

Sounds like you need our good buddy black tar. I'll let you decide if you go the coffee or heroin route.

ddeuddeg

myfester wrote:Ok...I actually have a wine question (I'm still learning about wines...yeah..I got into it late in life so I'm catching up). Right now I drink a sweet red (Riuniti Lambrusco is one of my favs). But want to slowly slide into a less sweet, mainly due to the sugar count. I know I don't like a wine that makes you grimace because it's so dry, and I don't care for 'oak' flavors.

What really sucks is that I live in PA, so can't even get any of these Woot wines (I'm whining).

I'll give it a try. First of all, I think of wine as a component of the meal, so I want it to work with food, and sweet wines don't do that so well for me. That said, Scott Harvey's InZinerator has a bit higher sugar content than many drier red wines, yet still works well with food, especially BBQ, IMO. If you don't mind trying a white wine, an off-dry Riesling is great with spicy Asian dishes. If you post this same request in the pub, you might get more suggestions. Good luck with your quest. Who knows, you may eventually grow to enjoy the dry reds that now make you "grimace."
EDIT: Where in PA? You might be able to find a friend in a neighboring state who can help you out. We're in Buffalo, NY.

alexasnows

About wine recommendations for the red wine drinker, there are some lighter red wines out there, Cotes du Rhone is one, this one is french, also Beaujolais and Pinot Noir, not California Pinot though, they tend to be heavy, try ones from Oregon, the terroir there is similar to the one of Burgundy, however burgundies are really expansive. Think old world, most new world wines are big and heavily oaked. Another one to try is Douro from Portugal. Hope this helps

bsevern

quality posts: 109 Private Messages bsevern

It's usually not the wine calories I worry about so much as much as it is whatever might accompany the wine

slm9951

myfester wrote:Ok...I actually have a wine question (I'm still learning about wines...yeah..I got into it late in life so I'm catching up). Right now I drink a sweet red (Riuniti Lambrusco is one of my favs). But want to slowly slide into a less sweet, mainly due to the sugar count. I know I don't like a wine that makes you grimace because it's so dry, and I don't care for 'oak' flavors.

My suggestion is to try Zinfandel-not white zin but plain old zin. It is not too dry and has a touch of sweetness. Try going to one of the PA prestige state stores and tell one of the experts there that you want to work your way into some dryer reds and they will help you. They get some fantastic deals on wines and they know the products. Also, I find petite syrah to have some complexity and not be too dry.

kylemittskus

Sorry, but I'm going to get wine -pedantic here. Lots of sweeping and largely inaccurate statements being made about wine. Sweeping statements are rarely true, especially wrt to wine.

Not all Zins have RS, not all CA PN is heavy or over-oaked, not all OR PN is Burgundian, most CdRs are not light, and the only Beaujolais I'd ever touch is cru (as anything below is plonk) and even those are not for me at all so YMMV.

tytiger58

quality posts: 73 Private Messages tytiger58
kylemittskus wrote:Sorry, but I'm going to get wine -pedantic here. Lots of sweeping and largely inaccurate statements being made about wine. Sweeping statements are rarely true, especially wrt to wine.

Not all Zins have RS, not all CA PN is heavy or over-oaked, not all OR PN is Burgundian, most CdRs are not light, and the only Beaujolais I'd ever touch is cru (as anything below is plonk) and even those are not for me at all so YMMV.

QFT

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

slm9951

kylemittskus wrote:Sorry, but I'm going to get wine -pedantic here. Lots of sweeping and largely inaccurate statements being made about wine. Sweeping statements are rarely true, especially wrt to wine.

That is true but a person has to start somewhere. This is how I began my journey into "dryer" reds and I 'm just offering some suggestions.

redwinefan

quality posts: 74 Private Messages redwinefan

Speaking of wine & calories, I almost gagged a little when I went to my local mega wine store today and saw "Skinny Girl Wine" boasting that it was 100 calories on the outside.

I didn't examine it closely to see the varietal, location, or vintage, but the calorie count was definitely more prominent than any of those on the bottle.

Any low alcohol, low RS wine should be able to hit around 100 calories a glass. No reason to buy plonk (I'm assuming that's what Skinny Girl Wine is). Also, the other option is just to drink less of a better wine

"You need to invest in a corkscrew. Wine is for drinking." -- Peter Wellington