WootBot


quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Scott Harvey Reserve Barbera (3)

Speed to First Woot:
3m 11.887s
First Sucker:
cb3500blue
Last Wooter to Woot:
hazydaze
Last Purchase:
a year ago
Order Pace (rank):
Top 38% of Wine Woots
Top 34% of all Woots
Woots Sold (rank):
Bottom 38% of Wine Woots
Top 46% of all Woots

Purchaser Experience

  • 2% first woot
  • 0% second woot
  • 8% < 10 woots
  • 11% < 25 woots
  • 79% ≥ 25 woots

Purchaser Seniority

  • 0% joined today
  • 0% one week old
  • 2% one month old
  • 8% one year old
  • 91% > one year old

Quantity Breakdown

  • 79% bought 1
  • 19% bought 2
  • 2% bought 3

Percentage of Sales Per Hour

0%
0%
0%
0%
0%
0%
0%
0%
4%
26%
47%
23%
0%
0%
0%
0%
0%
0%
0%
0%
0%
0%
0%
0%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Cesare


quality posts: 1597 Private Messages Cesare

Scott Harvey Reserve Barbera 3-Pack
$69.99 $̶1̶0̶9̶.̶0̶0̶ 36% off List Price
2009 Barbera, Amador County, J&S Reserve

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

trifecta


quality posts: 72 Private Messages trifecta

This is the Barbera you want!

I am stocked up and seriously considering another 3. The mountain selection is very good and this takes it up a notch.

rpm


quality posts: 170 Private Messages rpm

You haven't bought this yet? No? Get thee to thy buy button! Yes. Now.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

deckerbrian


quality posts: 16 Private Messages deckerbrian

I really like this wine, but I have 3 in the fridge and I also see that Invino.com has Forefathers Shiraz for $9.99 a bottle. 2 CASES PLEASE.

eluofthenine


quality posts: 7 Private Messages eluofthenine

This wine is unbelievably delicious. If I wasn't storing reds in the white section of my cooler I'd be in. Let me rephrase that: if I didn't already have some and I didn't have storage issues....

coolchris160


quality posts: 47 Private Messages coolchris160

Many people rave about the Scott Harvey Mountain Selection Amador County Barbera. So THIS Barbera must really be the good stuff.

jmdavidson


quality posts: 57 Private Messages jmdavidson
rpm wrote:You haven't bought this yet? No? Get thee to thy buy button! Yes. Now.



I have enjoyed the SH Barbera's before, but have never tried the reserve. What makes this worth $25/bottle?

ScottHarveyWines


quality posts: 152 Private Messages ScottHarveyWines

Always great to be back on Woot. People often ask me what my favorite wine to drink is. I always answer, "what ever Jana wants to drink". But, they never ask me what my favorite wine to make is, and that would be Barbera. Why, because it makes the best wine in Amador county and everyone likes success.

ScottHarveyWines


quality posts: 152 Private Messages ScottHarveyWines
jmdavidson wrote:I have enjoyed the SH Barbera's before, but have never tried the reserve. What makes this worth $25/bottle?



This is a vineyard I planted in 1986 with the help of my grandfather and father-in-law. In 1997 it was rated the best Barbera in America by the Wall Street Journal and in 2003 it was rated in Italy as the third best Barbera in the world.

klezman


quality posts: 121 Private Messages klezman

Scott how does this compare to the 2007 & 2008 that I've had before (and I think still have some of)?

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

jmdavidson


quality posts: 57 Private Messages jmdavidson
ScottHarveyWines wrote:This a vineyard I planted in 1986 with the help of my grandfather and father-in-law. In 1997 it was rated the best Barbera in America by the Wall Street Journal and in 2003 it was rated in Italy as the third best Barbera in the world.



You make a barbera for Amador County, Mountain Select and J&S Reserve. Are there certain flavor profiles that separate the three?

ego48


quality posts: 5 Private Messages ego48

love this wine, busy day, no time, digging one out to taste, gotta do it, hopefully it lasts long enough in the WO. Last I bought of this was directly from SH - which included two very tastefully logo'd crystal glasses (thanks mr. Harvey!)

ScottHarveyWines


quality posts: 152 Private Messages ScottHarveyWines
klezman wrote:Scott how does this compare to the 2007 & 2008 that I've had before (and I think still have some of)?



Both the 2007 and 2008 where a blend of Vineyard 1869 and Manby. The 2009 is a blend of Vineyard 1869 and Spinetta. The Spinetta has more red fruit while the Manby more dark fruit. So this wine has more bright red fruit than the previous two. The specs are pretty much the same on all three.

coolchris160


quality posts: 47 Private Messages coolchris160
jmdavidson wrote:You make a barbera for Amador County, Mountain Select and J&S Reserve. Are there certain flavor profiles that separate the three?


From what I know, and based on his online storefront, I believe he has just the two Barberas (Mountain Selection and the J&S reserve) both of which are from Amador Country. If there's a third, my search skills (or lack thereof) are not finding it.

jmdavidson


quality posts: 57 Private Messages jmdavidson
coolchris160 wrote:From what I know, and based on his online storefront, I believe he has just the two Barberas (Mountain Selection and the J&S reserve) both of which are from Amador Country.



Cellartracker lists all three. Maybe SH can clarify.

klezman


quality posts: 121 Private Messages klezman
ScottHarveyWines wrote:Both the 2007 and 2008 where a blend of Vineyard 1869 and Manby. The 2009 is a blend of Vineyard 1869 and Spinetta. The Spinetta has more red fruit while the Manby more dark fruit. So this wine has more bright red fruit than the previous two. The specs are pretty much the same on all three.



Dang...sounds even more up my alley. Guess you managed to get my siwbm to crumble!

Thanks always for your wine, and when we make it up to Napa, your hospitality.

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

ScottHarveyWines


quality posts: 152 Private Messages ScottHarveyWines
jmdavidson wrote:You make a barbera for Amador County, Mountain Select and J&S Reserve. Are there certain flavor profiles that separate the three?



The Mt. Selection has darker fruit and is a little richer and approachable. The J&S Reserve is more a leaner first growth quality wine. Brighter red fruits and more acidic. More of an elegant food wine.

ScottHarveyWines


quality posts: 152 Private Messages ScottHarveyWines
coolchris160 wrote:From what I know, and based on his online storefront, I believe he has just the two Barberas (Mountain Selection and the J&S reserve) both of which are from Amador Country. If there's a third, my search skills (or lack thereof) are not finding it.



We produce only the two Amador County Barbera's. The Mt. Selection and the J&S Reserve.

jmdavidson


quality posts: 57 Private Messages jmdavidson
ScottHarveyWines wrote:The Mt. Selection has darker fruit and is a little richer and approachable. The J&S Reserve is more a leaner first growth quality wine. Brighter red fruits and more acidic. More of an elegant food wine.


Thank you.

kchoschton


quality posts: 17 Private Messages kchoschton

Because I'm not very knowledgeable about wine, when/how should I drink this? Do I need to let it open up a bit or can I just get my instant gratification on and just drink immediately? What is peak window for drinking? How much longer should it age, etc? Thanks in advance for educating me.

mommadeb1


quality posts: 17 Private Messages mommadeb1

This is super yummy!!!!!!

chipgreen


quality posts: 186 Private Messages chipgreen

We tasted this with Scott and Jana at their winemaker's dinner in Wooster, OH a couple months ago. Although Scott is known as a "Zin Master", his Barberas may be even better. This is less expensive than club member pricing and woot's affordable shipping makes it an even better value.

ScottHarveyWines


quality posts: 152 Private Messages ScottHarveyWines
kchoschton wrote:Because I'm not very knowledgeable about wine, when/how should I drink this? Do I need to let it open up a bit or can I just get my instant gratification on and just drink immediately? What is peak window for drinking? How much longer should it age, etc? Thanks in advance for educating me.



The wine is drinking nicely now. It has been in the bottle for almost two years. It still is showing its young side and has not developed bottle bouquet yet. So, the fruits are still bright red fruits. In another 2 to 3 years it will develop bottle bouquet and then should go on to last until 2022.

HitAnyKey42


quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42
jmdavidson wrote:Cellartracker lists all three. Maybe SH can clarify.
ScottHarveyWines wrote:We produce only the two Amador County Barbera's. The Mt. Selection and the J&S Reserve.


Since the CellarTracker entries are all created by Users, people often create a wine in the system before they look to see what other ones already exist. Or they think what they are creating is different from what is already there, when in reality it isn't.

You'll see the one listed as:
Scott Harvey Barbera (USA, California, Sierra Foothills, Amador County)
does not have any images attached, and only has entries created for 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, & 2008....with very few people recording inventory of them. That entry was most likely created in error.
It's also possible in the early years (ie. 2002, etc) that Scott did not designate them as Mountain Selection, but I don't believe so. Scott, if you still see this, can you confirm?

If they never existed without the Mountain Selection designation, then the duplicate should be eliminated by someone (I will do it, if no one else does) posting in the CT forum to have the two wines merged and the non-desingation one eliminated.

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

mstern20878


quality posts: 9 Private Messages mstern20878

How about getting a license to ship to Maryland? Please.

richardhod


quality posts: 261 Private Messages richardhod

This is Scott's best wine of a very good bunch. I'm sad to have missed it.

cb3500blue


quality posts: 0 Private Messages cb3500blue

Thanks for another great wine Scott! I can't thank wine.woot enough for bringing you to my attention back in 2007.

mother


quality posts: 15 Private Messages mother

I insist whoever messed up inventory be flogged!

midstarrynight


quality posts: 0 Private Messages midstarrynight
mother wrote:I insist whoever messed up inventory be flogged!



Yeah....I was wondering what other people thought about that. Oh well...guess I'll just have to make do with the new one.

mother


quality posts: 15 Private Messages mother
midstarrynight wrote:Yeah....I was wondering what other people thought about that. Oh well...guess I'll just have to make do with the new one.



The whole thing makes no sense:
1) It's available from Scott's website
2) It seems like nobody is getting any 2009
3) They're bottling 2011 when 2010 isn't even out yet?

bobrush12866


quality posts: 8 Private Messages bobrush12866
mother wrote:The whole thing makes no sense:
1) It's available from Scott's website
2) It seems like nobody is getting any 2009
3) They're bottling 2011 when 2010 isn't even out yet?



I agree...I am really put off by the whole debacle especially since it is still available at the winery. Scott also participated in the woot and then the wine woot slap in the face...we ran out and will send the 2011.....That is Pure BS...Woot should make good on this offer and pay Scott whatever he wants for it and send what was ordered, "The 2009"

xibbumbero


quality posts: 5 Private Messages xibbumbero

I'm curious,who got the 2009?
I know I didn't.
Was this a bait and switch?

mother


quality posts: 15 Private Messages mother
xibbumbero wrote:I'm curious,who got the 2009?
I know I didn't.
Was this a bait and switch?



I think nobody got 2009...