rxmurphy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rxmurphy

Planning first trip to Napa/Sonoma. 5 days Labor day w/e. Fly to SFO Thur. late, leave Tue late. Renting a car. That's all I have so far. Suggestions on lodging, wineries, activities. Want to avoid sites like trip advisor, and welcome any resources you can suggest. Want to concentrate on the wine. Thanks in advance!

loveladyelectric

quality posts: 23 Private Messages loveladyelectric

I stayed at the Chardonnay Lodge in Napa for like $100/night. It's not very nice, but it was by far the cheapest place I could find and wasn't bad.

Also, I highly suggest a trip to Palmaz Vineyards if you want to see what over the top wineries do. That was a really cool visit. I suggest doing it last.

jawlz

quality posts: 12 Private Messages jawlz
rxmurphy wrote:Planning first trip to Napa/Sonoma. 5 days Labor day w/e. Fly to SFO Thur. late, leave Tue late. Renting a car. That's all I have so far. Suggestions on lodging, wineries, activities. Want to avoid sites like trip advisor, and welcome any resources you can suggest. Want to concentrate on the wine. Thanks in advance!

While there is a wealth of information on these forums (a search will produce probably a dozen or so threads on this topic), and I am sure that several will chime in here, I'm curious as to why you're trying to avoid trip advisor? I've generally found ratings/user reviews there pretty reliable (though admittedly I haven't looked over reviews of wineries there)...

kttest

quality posts: 2 Private Messages kttest

Bel Abri Inn in Napa was great and affordable.

In Sonoma the Best Western Sonoma Valley Inn & Krug Event Center is a bit pricer but also great.

The RPM tour threads are a great spot to take a look at recos:

- Krista
"Wine is the most civilized thing in the world." -Ernest Hemingway.
NYC Tastings Summary courtesy of HAK

rxmurphy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rxmurphy
jawlz wrote:I'm curious as to why you're trying to avoid trip advisor? I've generally found ratings/user reviews there pretty reliable (though admittedly I haven't looked over reviews of wineries there)...

I have relied on TA in the past for other locations. I just thought that for a trip focusing primarily on wine, what better source than Wine.Woot. I sense lots of expertise here.

rpm

quality posts: 173 Private Messages rpm
rxmurphy wrote:Planning first trip to Napa/Sonoma. 5 days Labor day w/e. Fly to SFO Thur. late, leave Tue late. Renting a car. That's all I have so far. Suggestions on lodging, wineries, activities. Want to avoid sites like trip advisor, and welcome any resources you can suggest. Want to concentrate on the wine. Thanks in advance!

You could do much worse than go to rpm Magical History Tour, the website we set up for the 2008 Tour. Look at the threads in these forums for the 2010 and 2012 rpm Tours and notice the different wineries and old favorites. For any wineries with a strong woot connection, make an appointment and let them know you're a wooter. You won't get quite the insider treatment the Tours get, but you might get something more than the average tourista-bear gets.

PS - don't even think about staying in the place in Santa Rosa we stayed at for the 2008 Tour.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

zinnah

quality posts: 1 Private Messages zinnah

In Sonoma about a mile east of the Plaza there is a deli wine store called Sonoma's Best. They have 4 or 5 rental cottages. Very charming and very reasonable given the high cost of lodging in Napa and Sonoma. Very favorable write up in Sunset. On the East side of Sonoma, downtown Napa is 15-20 min, Yountville is 25-30 min. Healdsburg is about an hour.

zinnah

quality posts: 1 Private Messages zinnah

Last year we had some friends visiting, we live here, and they suggested Opus for a tour. We were sceptical but agreed. Pricey, but absolutely fascinating especially at harvest where they demonstrate their special techniques of crushing and wine making. Plus you can taste their wine. October is harvest.

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg
zinnah wrote:In Sonoma about a mile east of the Plaza there is a deli wine store called Sonoma's Best. They have 4 or 5 rental cottages. Very charming and very reasonable given the high cost of lodging in Napa and Sonoma. Very favorable write up in Sunset. On the East side of Sonoma, downtown Napa is 15-20 min, Yountville is 25-30 min. Healdsburg is about an hour.

Apparently not available Labor Day weekend, though.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook