I couldn't wait any longer...

Juvie: 30+24+4; Sellout: 6+7+0
Rags: 3+2+3
Drunk: 69+94+15 wine, 20+29+4 non-wine
Rugrat: 0+0+0; Refunded: 2+3+1
(as of 2011-03-02)

JOATMON

quality posts: 19 Private Messages JOATMON

I have been out of touch with all of the discussions for a hella long time.

I have been browsing, and I see a mention that zTimothyBZ posted a list of his Madeiras, but I haven't stumbled across the list itself yet. Anybody recollect what thread that was in?

(as of 2011-03-02)

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 26 Private Messages ddeuddeg
JOATMON wrote:I have been out of touch with all of the discussions for a hella long time.

I have been browsing, and I see a mention that zTimothyBZ posted a list of his Madeiras, but I haven't stumbled across the list itself yet. Anybody recollect what thread that was in?

Has been a while, hasn't it. Good to see you on the board again. Haven't seen the list you speak of, but he has me picking up some for him in PA this summer.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 174 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
JOATMON wrote:I couldn't wait any longer...

Yea!! Someone else started the Pub!!!

And sorry, but since someone has been slacking on updating the list of WW Gatherings, I was busy with that.

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark

List of previous WW gatherings by area. New list in the Gatherings tab and Old list in the Community tab. Great reading and great examples of how to set up a Get-Together Thread.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Upcoming Woot Wine Gatherings…All The News for the week of June 17

The Unofficial Start of Summer is here! Attend or Host a Get-Together in your area!

June
6/22: NorCal #18 - Francophile Solstice, June 22nd in Santa Clara

July
TBD (7/13?): SoCal #27: Sparky & zTimBz Wine Locker Redux (Sukieasa in town)

August
8/3? TBD: NorCal #19: WineSmith BBQ in Santa Rosa
8/3: Minnesota #21 8-3-13
8/10 & 8/17: zTimBz's Bday / SoCal #28 - If we open them, he will come
8/24: The Wootception!!!

Pending
TBD:Chicago Gathering at Millennium Park 6/14 or 6/15
TBD: SeaTac & Western Washington Interest Thread.
TBD: NYC Tasting #??: A Tribute (interest thread)
TBD: Dallas #11
TBD: NorCal #?: Open invitation to the New Muscardini Tasting Room

No events in your area??? Start one! Create an interest thread in the GATHERINGS Community Tab.

So join or create a WW Gathering!

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark

JOATMON wrote:I have been out of touch with all of the discussions for a hella long time.

Well, he did post this link about Madeira tasting in San Francisco the weekend of May 18th of this year.

Here's the link to the forum for that tasting. Maybe the list is there? Because it's not in the Madeira thread

Edit: There was this post about the wines & Madeira's tasted at the May SoCal gathering.

zTimothyBz

quality posts: 2 Private Messages zTimothyBz
JOATMON wrote:I have been browsing, and I see a mention that zTimothyBZ posted a list of his Madeiras, but I haven't stumbled across the list itself yet. Anybody recollect what thread that was in?

I had PMed you in April about this tasting (which Sparky already provided a link for). And then I was asking if anyone had your email.

The only list of Madeiras that I've posted was the one - which Sparky also linked - from the May So Cal.

Official holder of unofficial, unauthorized, non-woot gatherings.
My cellar

zTimothyBz

quality posts: 2 Private Messages zTimothyBz
ddeuddeg wrote:Haven't seen the list you speak of, but he has me picking up some for him in PA this summer.

And frustratingly enough, I was only able to get a single bottle of the stuff that started me on this adventure - though I found a couple other things. A single bottle for internet purchase, nine in a store in PITTSBURGH, PA 15238-3123, and ten in a store in LEMOYNE, PA 17043-1417, and they might as well be on the far side of the moon... This really makes me appreciate that K&L will ship from their Redwood City and SF stores down to Hollywood for free.

We really need a wooter in Harrisburg, PA!

Official holder of unofficial, unauthorized, non-woot gatherings.
My cellar

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22

Cross posting.

otolith wrote:Well, what did you order?

MasterBuilt 30 in. Is this the same one that you have?

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
polarbear22 wrote:Cross posting.

MasterBuilt 30 in. Is this the same one that you have?

he's got the bigger one. I have that one. I put some chickens in beer and rub last night and will smoke it when I get home. Chicken only takes like three hours, so we'll have a late, but delicious dinner. I think I'm gonna wrap up some sweet potatoes and chuck em in also. Never tried that, but I figure over three hours at 225, they should cook through just fine.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
bhodilee wrote:he's got the bigger one. I have that one. I put some chickens in beer and rub last night and will smoke it when I get home. Chicken only takes like three hours, so we'll have a late, but delicious dinner. I think I'm gonna wrap up some sweet potatoes and chuck em in also. Never tried that, but I figure over three hours at 225, they should cook through just fine.

Finally cured my smoker yesterday, so it is ready to be used. Probably put something on it this weekend, likely a pork shoulder, which if I think far enough ahead I will buy on Wednesday, put on the rub and what not, and let it sit until Saturday morning.

Let me know how the sweet potatos come out. Mine actually suggests cooking veggies in the water pan which I will try at some point. The water pan on mine is quite large.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

bhodilee

North316 wrote:Finally cured my smoker yesterday, so it is ready to be used. Probably put something on it this weekend, likely a pork shoulder, which if I think far enough ahead I will buy on Wednesday, put on the rub and what not, and let it sit until Saturday morning.

Let me know how the sweet potatos come out. Mine actually suggests cooking veggies in the water pan which I will try at some point. The water pan on mine is quite large.

I dunno bout in the pan, it collects almost all of the fat and juice that leaks out, at least on mine. I like to take that liquid, put it in the fat separator, get out the fat and mix it back in the pork shoulder (the juice, not the fat).

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

otolith

quality posts: 22 Private Messages otolith
bhodilee wrote:I dunno bout in the pan, it collects almost all of the fat and juice that leaks out, at least on mine. I like to take that liquid, put it in the fat separator, get out the fat and mix it back in the pork shoulder (the juice, not the fat).

Must find one of these fat separators...

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

North316

otolith wrote:Must find one of these fat separators...

Fat Seperator

You can buy them just about everwhere (I'm sure even walmart has a cheap one). I don't have one yet, but that was a good reminder that I do need to pick one up.

My CT

bhodilee

North316 wrote:Fat Seperator

You can buy them just about everwhere (I'm sure even walmart has a cheap one). I don't have one yet, but that was a good reminder that I do need to pick one up.

that's funny, that's the exact one I have. Does it's job, can't complain in the least.

I generally chuck a beer and some Apple Cider Vinegar in that pan for steaming purposes. I think this weekend I'm gonna have the butcher slice me some top round 1/4" thick and smoke some jerky. Sooooo much better than anything you'll ever buy.

tiger7610

quality posts: 16 Private Messages tiger7610
zTimothyBz wrote:And frustratingly enough, I was only able to get a single bottle of the stuff that started me on this adventure - though I found a couple other things. A single bottle for internet purchase, nine in a store in PITTSBURGH, PA 15238-3123, and ten in a store in LEMOYNE, PA 17043-1417, and they might as well be on the far side of the moon... This really makes me appreciate that K&L will ship from their Redwood City and SF stores down to Hollywood for free.

We really need a wooter in Harrisburg, PA!

While I will be going to Pittsburgh at the end of July, I'm not sure there will be enough time for me to drop it off in Buffalo for wootlegging to CA

bhodilee

tiger7610 wrote:While I will be going to Pittsburgh at the end of July, I'm not sure there will be enough time for me to drop it off in Buffalo for wootlegging to CA

Will, meet your way...

This place, I swear

ddeuddeg

tiger7610 wrote:While I will be going to Pittsburgh at the end of July, I'm not sure there will be enough time for me to drop it off in Buffalo for wootlegging to CA

But where will you be the second weekend in August? Maybe we could pick it up on the way to or from NJ.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

joelsisk

quality posts: 7 Private Messages joelsisk
JOATMON wrote:I couldn't wait any longer...

Glad you did, but without the title starting with "Cyberpub", I looked past this thread 3 times

JOATMON

joelsisk wrote:Glad you did, but without the title starting with "Cyberpub", I looked past this thread 3 times

Fixed

(as of 2011-03-02)

joelsisk

quality posts: 7 Private Messages joelsisk
JOATMON wrote:Fixed

much obliged!

trifecta

quality posts: 69 Private Messages trifecta

Hey Joatmon, just a heads up that we have a gathering in Santa Clara on Saturday. You should swing by if you have a chance. It's in the gatherings tab.

MarkDaSpark

joelsisk wrote:Glad you did, but without the title starting with "Cyberpub", I looked past this thread 3 times

I was so happy someone else started it, I missed that!

JOATMON

MarkDaSpark wrote:Would you buy this wine?

It's the first release from Jolie-Pitt & Perrin (yes Angie and Brad). 90 points in Wine Spectator.

Cause I'm thinking no way in h-e-double hockey sticks would I buy it. Ever. Now if someone else bought it ....

I had a bottle when it was known as Pink Floyd, and before Brad and Angie became involved. I was not impressed.

(as of 2011-03-02)

JOATMON

MarkDaSpark wrote:Oh, that Sherlock.

I thought at first you meant this movie or it's sequel. Or that they were guests on the CBS series (Elementary).

Then I realized you meant some BBC series. So now there's something else I need to watch. Darn you!!

And properly, it would be Bilbo, and The Necromancer/Smaug/Khan.

Even more properly, it would be Bilbo/Arthur Dent and The Necromancer/Smaug/Khan.

(as of 2011-03-02)

JOATMON

MarkDaSpark wrote:

Although I seem to remember reading/hearing that "women go into marriage expecting we will change, and men go into marriage expecting you not to change." Which seems to be mostly accurate.

That's only part of the quote.

“Men marry women with the hope they will never change. Women marry men with the hope they will change. Invariably they are both disappointed.”
― Albert Einstein

(as of 2011-03-02)

JOATMON

bhodilee wrote:I know the solution, but it involves the high likelihood that I end up in jail. Also, there is at least one person who is an UNDER and not an OVER. Under makes NO SENSE and angers me greatly. I have yet to call them out in staff meeting, but that day is coming.

B is the only sane answer

Not when you have toddlers.

(as of 2011-03-02)

North316

Just started a search for some Cubs tickets for 4th of July weekend (want to hit Wrigley this summer before any sign of rennovations begin). I usually hate ticket master, since the only thing they are masters of is fees, but it is even worse for Chicago!

Ticket Price
+ 9% City of Chicago Tax
+ 3% Cook County (I think) tax
+ $4.75 Ticketmaster Fee
+ 9% City of Chicago tax ON THE FEE ITSELF

All said and done, the cheapest ticket available (through ticketmaster) went from $29 to $40, and I always buy good seats, not the cheapest available. Thankfully the Cubs are areful and the prices should come down on Stubhub over the next couple of weeks, but just thought the taxes and fees were rediculous.

My CT

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
North316 wrote:+ 9% City of Chicago tax ON THE FEE ITSELF

This is the best one.

I was at Wrigley a couple months ago. Cubbies lost to the &^$^#%ing Giants. Really cool to see the park, though, manned scoreboard and all.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

North316

kylemittskus wrote:This is the best one.

I was at Wrigley a couple months ago. Cubbies lost to the &^$^#%ing Giants. Really cool to see the park, though, manned scoreboard and all.

Chicago is an expensive city to begin with, but then when you add a 9% tax on everything, its laughable. A 2-3 day trip is going to run a bare minimum of $600, but probably closer to the $800+ mark. Half tempted to make a day-trip out of it. 4 hour drive each way, plus a 3 hour game makes for a very long day though.

My CT

bhodilee

North316 wrote:Chicago is an expensive city to begin with, but then when you add a 9% tax on everything, its laughable. A 2-3 day trip is going to run a bare minimum of $600, but probably closer to the $800+ mark. Half tempted to make a day-trip out of it. 4 hour drive each way, plus a 3 hour game makes for a very long day though.

you could overnight outside of Chicago though, still split up the day, but stop halfway home or something

Imagine4vr

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Imagine4vr
North316 wrote:Just started a search for some Cubs tickets for 4th of July weekend (want to hit Wrigley this summer before any sign of rennovations begin). I usually hate ticket master, since the only thing they are masters of is fees, but it is even worse for Chicago!

Ticket Price
+ 9% City of Chicago Tax
+ 3% Cook County (I think) tax
+ $4.75 Ticketmaster Fee
+ 9% City of Chicago tax ON THE FEE ITSELF

All said and done, the cheapest ticket available (through ticketmaster) went from $29 to $40, and I always buy good seats, not the cheapest available. Thankfully the Cubs are areful and the prices should come down on Stubhub over the next couple of weeks, but just thought the taxes and fees were rediculous.

If you want bleacher seats pm me and I should be able to help you out. I have many friends with season tix and there are usually extras available.

North316

Imagine4vr wrote:If you want bleacher seats pm me and I should be able to help you out. I have many friends with season tix and there are usually extras available.

Awesome, I will definitely keep that in mind. I love baseball and am never adverse to paying more to get better seats, as the closer I am the more I tend to stay focused on and enjoy the game (I've heard from a number of people that Wrigley tends to be a social event and tourist destination more so than a haven for baseball fans, but hopefully there is a happy medium). I'm going to keep my eye on stub hub for the next week or so as I firm up our other plans for that weekend, but will be sure to send a PM your way if needed!

My CT

JOATMON

North316 wrote:Awesome, I will definitely keep that in mind. I love baseball and am never adverse to paying more to get better seats, as the closer I am the more I tend to stay focused on and enjoy the game (I've heard from a number of people that Wrigley tends to be a social event and tourist destination more so than a haven for baseball fans, but hopefully there is a happy medium). I'm going to keep my eye on stub hub for the next week or so as I firm up our other plans for that weekend, but will be sure to send a PM your way if needed!

You might also investigate the aftermarket for season ticket holders. Some teams have an "official" place for season ticket holders to sell their unused tickets. I used the venue for the San Francisco Giants for our upcoming tickets, and it worked out great.

(as of 2011-03-02)

chipgreen

quality posts: 176 Private Messages chipgreen
bhodilee wrote:you could overnight outside of Chicago though, still split up the day, but stop halfway home or something

Mmmm.... Gary, Indiana

ddeuddeg

chipgreen wrote:Mmmm.... Gary, Indiana

Don't you mean Gary, Indiana?

chipgreen

quality posts: 176 Private Messages chipgreen
ddeuddeg wrote:Don't you mean Gary, Indiana?

Lol, back in the day when our family would head down I-90W for a road trip, us kids would hold our noses (because the pollution was so bad) and sing "Gary,Indiana, Gary,Indiana" over and over again as we drove through town. I thought we had made up our nose-pinching singing salute, but apparently not! Gary later went on to bigger and better things, becoming the murder capital of the US for awhile. Good times, good times.

MarkDaSpark

You know who you two are!

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98

Just your weekly reminder for people to join us at our Wootception on August 24th.
We still have a LOT of space left, and these spaces are paid for whether you fill them or not. So there is no reason for you not head on over to the Gatherings tab to join us.

EDIT: Oops, this post was actually made by HitAnyKey42....my lovely bride to be was still logged into my machine.

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

ddeuddeg

MarkDaSpark wrote:You know who you two are!

Looks like you need to get some rest. Can't even count up to 3.