2012 The Crusher Big Orange Viognier
CT links above

Winery website

Previous offer:
2/4/13

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

andreaserben

quality posts: 21 Private Messages andreaserben

Finally got into the Crusher game...

NedDawg

quality posts: 34 Private Messages NedDawg

New vintage. I hope someone can compare and contrast to the prior two vintages offered here.

PS. I missed out on the 2010. The 2011 was disappointing based on the community feedback for the 2010, but still enjoyable as an under-$20 white -- more so if imbibed at "cellar" temperature rather than straight from the fridge.

chipgreen

quality posts: 185 Private Messages chipgreen

Roll on, Big-O!

greydevil

quality posts: 3 Private Messages greydevil

No way. I've been waiting for this since the last offering. In fact, i literally just brought up my 2 bottles upstairs to my room to stash them in the closet (they were stored in the family booze cabinet, now they are in my personal collection).

Money is tight right now but i'm in.

Edit: Seems like i missed the 2011 vintage actually, i never noticed :P well in for this new one.

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 181 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

List of previous WW gatherings by area. New list in the Gatherings tab and Old list in the Community tab. Great reading and great examples of how to set up a Get-Together Thread.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Upcoming Woot Wine Gatherings…All The News for the week of June 17

The Unofficial Start of Summer is here! Attend or Host a Get-Together in your area!

June
6/22: NorCal #18 - Francophile Solstice, June 22nd in Santa Clara

July
TBD (7/13?): SoCal #27: Sparky & zTimBz Wine Locker Redux (Sukieasa in town)

August
8/3? TBD: NorCal #19: WineSmith BBQ in Santa Rosa
8/3: Minnesota #21 8-3-13
8/10 & 8/17: zTimBz's Bday / SoCal #28 - If we open them, he will come
8/24: The Wootception!!!

Pending
TBD:Chicago Gathering at Millennium Park 6/14 or 6/15
TBD: SeaTac & Western Washington Interest Thread.
TBD: NYC Tasting #??: A Tribute (interest thread)
TBD: Dallas #11
TBD: NorCal #?: Open invitation to the New Muscardini Tasting Room

No events in your area??? Start one! Create an interest thread in the GATHERINGS Community Tab.

So join or create a WW Gathering!

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

wordek

quality posts: 23 Private Messages wordek

My goodness - first the Iron Horse, and the Twisted Oak offers last week...and now this...all with NH shipping. Woot you are killing me here, in for one! ;-)

pseudogourmet98

quality posts: 16 Private Messages pseudogourmet98
chipgreen wrote:Roll on, Big-O!

Lawsons!!! The things we remember from childhood...

Thanks for that nostalgic moment! I have no idea why, but we find ourselves singing that little ditty occasionally. I'm sure I will be for the rest of today.

fenderehx4ever

quality posts: 2 Private Messages fenderehx4ever

Finally in. I've been waiting since 2011 to try this. Seems to have reached almost legendary Wine.Woot! status. Really looking forward to it,

woottoady

quality posts: 33 Private Messages woottoady

Good Grief Woot... Do you take joy from being unmerciful? Just after I bought yesterday's feature to satisfy SWMBO's need to quench summer thirst, you bring out the Crusher, SWMBO's all-time favorite. That's simply cruel.

Where's my Petite Syrah?

jcarlton03

quality posts: 6 Private Messages jcarlton03

I was VERY happy with the '10 and disappointed in the '11. Anyone out there able to compare the two with this current release?

The 2010 to me had great structure and the 2011 was flabby IMO. Just to add a very broad note.

It's great to be a Florida Gator!

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316

These guys out-grew Ohio distribution laws. No big deal though, at $20 per bottle shipped, not seeing the value here.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

sulakdd

quality posts: 12 Private Messages sulakdd
jcarlton03 wrote:I was VERY happy with the '10 and disappointed in the '11. Anyone out there able to compare the two with this current release?

The 2010 to me had great structure and the 2011 was flabby IMO. Just to add a very broad note.

This offer is actually for three different wines: chardonnay, viognier, and a blend of the two. Prior offers were just the blend IIRC.

Bione

quality posts: 26 Private Messages Bione

I bought the 2010 Crusher. I passed on the 2011 and I will be passing on this, too.

The wine does look very orange in the glass, apparently due to the fact that the seeds/skins are not removed until after fermentation has begun. For some folks, that's enough...

This wine is on the sweet end for a white wine. The nose was slightly muted, with some floral notes. There's some complexity, but for me the sweetness was overwhelming. It's not nearly as sweet as an Ethiopian honey-wine, but in terms of flavor, color, and texture this is as close to that as I've found (yet still made from grapes).

Originally priced at $15 a bottle (plus shipping), I thought these were an interesting purchase at the time, fairly priced. At any more than that, I'm not a fan.

confusedemmy

quality posts: 21 Private Messages confusedemmy

Ta da!

Either I'm just lucky (which I find unlikely, given current events), or someone connected my whining about how I missed the old days of lab rattage with my shameless pandering to the Sebastiani guys and their wonderful variety of offerings.

No golden ticket (hell, FedEx didn't even call like they normally do, which turned into a fiasco that would have been humorous if it were not for the fact that it concerned wine wandering around unprotected in this South Texas heat), but I was the recipient of a (free) (unanticipated) bottle of the 2012 Big Orange Chardonnay/Viognier blend on Friday, June the 14th. Please note that I thought about buying The Crusher Big Orange Viognier too long last year and it ran out. I did buy the Old World Orange Pinot Gris, which I found nice, but too sweet for my taste.

My husband and I drank it last night while preparing and eating dinner. The bottle had been in the fridge since its arrival on Friday afternoon, just over 48 hours.

PNP, nice light orange color, not as dark as the Old World. Husband immediately stated that the wine was OXIDIZED and I had to explain the process to him; he was mollified when it passed the sniff test. Anyway, swirling and sniffing produced pear and melon and minerals for me and he wanted to say citrus notes but was afraid he was being influenced by the color.
First sip me: toasty, general tropical fruit, possibly pineapple?, minerals. First sip him: not much identifiable.
Of course, it's too cold.

Over the next couple of hours, it evolved quite a bit... the wine got notably more viscous and developed a lovely mouthfeel with some tannins apparent. More minerals emerged, along with lots of stone fruit... apricot/peach/nectarine... still retains some citrusy notes that I was thinking were reminiscent of lemon marmalade.

Now for the bad news... while I recognize that we were drinking it a bit young, and that its short childhood contained more abuse than wines should be subjected to, I wasn't as pleased with it as I expected. The wine seemed to be lacking in acidity to me. I don't know if I'd go so far as to call it "flabby", but it was suffering from the lack of refined structure a little bit lower pH would have given it. It was yummy, but not the apparition of total divinity that I was expecting. I also trend towards the spectrum of limited oak and partial-to-no malo, so maybe this wasn't my cup of tea.

I'm a big Viognier hound, so maybe it can be blamed on the Chardonnay blended in, I dunno - I only got the one bottle, not the entire spectrum (there I go, whining about only getting one bottle ; ).
I did buy The Crusher Rose for Valentine's Day a few years ago and found that to be a lovely bottle, bright and complex and mouthwatering.

Anyway, I glowed all weekend in anticipation of opening this wonderful present, and I thank the powers that be, whoever they are and whyever they chose me.

jcarlton03

quality posts: 6 Private Messages jcarlton03
sulakdd wrote:This offer is actually for three different wines: chardonnay, viognier, and a blend of the two. Prior offers were just the blend IIRC.

I did read the description, and while I may not have communicated it well, I was looking for any comparison from the previous offers to the current. Whether that be 1 wine or 6 wines. Understanding that only the blend is a direct comparison, I feel like the others are comparable since they are in the blend (maybe I am way off here).

Monday morning may have caused me to assume too much in the first post. Hopefully this can clarify.

It's great to be a Florida Gator!

North316

Bione wrote:I bought the 2010 Crusher. I passed on the 2011 and I will be passing on this, too.

The wine does look very orange in the glass, apparently due to the fact that the seeds/skins are not removed until after fermentation has begun. For some folks, that's enough...

This wine is on the sweet end for a white wine. The nose was slightly muted, with some floral notes. There's some complexity, but for me the sweetness was overwhelming. It's not nearly as sweet as an Ethiopian honey-wine, but in terms of flavor, color, and texture this is as close to that as I've found (yet still made from grapes).

Originally priced at $15 a bottle (plus shipping), I thought these were an interesting purchase at the time, fairly priced. At any more than that, I'm not a fan.

Are you sure you are talking about the same wine? The 2010 was dry as can be, no perceivable RS. I haven't had the 2011, but based on your statement, you haven't either. Just have no idea where you are getting the sweetness from.

My CT

rjquillin

quality posts: 170 Private Messages rjquillin

Reading notes, looking at past offers and purchases, my less foggy mind today sorted out that this is indeed a 2012 release we've not had before. the previous offer link is for the 2011 and that links to the 2010 sellout that had us all excited.

I really enjoyed the '10, and sadly only have a single bottle left, as Klez got it's only remaining mate in a trade. Delightfully complex and interesting vintage.

Based on the '10, the 2011 was an autobuy for me, albeit a bit disappointing. Had I not still had some '10 to taste along side the '11, I would have blamed failing memory for my like of the '10; the '11 just didn't live up to it. While still the same basic wine, complexity was down as was apparent acidity, a thinner mouth and a just a bit of a disappointment.

Now we have yet another offer, but this time it's not even all the original Wilson Orange Crusher we raved about. now we have but a single bottle, and one each of it's components; an interesting change, yes. The single TN we now have suggests this is more in the style of the, for me, rather disappointing '11.

I've tried other Crusher bottles since the first Wilson we had here. A couple Rosé of Pinot Noir purchased locally I found to be decent simple commercial bottles, and a PS that came in the Lucky-7 mix from Nov 2012 I would like to get more of.
And the UAP, nice bottle that, and we just opened one at Kyle's over the weekend.

Gonna need a firm shove on this mix given the one meh review and it's only a single bottle, the other are single varietal Chard and Vio's. Bring 'em on.

CT

rjquillin

quality posts: 170 Private Messages rjquillin
Bione wrote:This wine is on the sweet end for a white wine. The nose was slightly muted, with some floral notes. There's some complexity, but for me the sweetness was overwhelming. It's not nearly as sweet as an Ethiopian honey-wine, but in terms of flavor, color, and texture this is as close to that as I've found (yet still made from grapes).

I'll echo North's question, are you speaking here of the 2012 blend in today's offering?
Did you taste from a bottle found locally or received from a friend?

CT

chipgreen

North316 wrote:These guys out-grew Ohio distribution laws. No big deal though, at $20 per bottle shipped, not seeing the value here.

It seems ironic that most of the wines that cannot ship to Ohio are available on local store shelves anyway. I was just looking at some Don & Sons wine at the grocery store yesterday, along with wines from St. Supery and Geyser Peak. Hopefully the Big Orange will also make a local appearance.

chipgreen

North316 wrote:Are you sure you are talking about the same wine? The 2010 was dry as can be, no perceivable RS. I haven't had the 2011, but based on your statement, you haven't either. Just have no idea where you are getting the sweetness from.

My takeaway from that post was "blah blah blah Ethiopian Honey Wine blah blah blah".

eluofthenine

quality posts: 7 Private Messages eluofthenine

We had the in-laws come into town this weekend, and you wouldn't believe what they brought with them as a gift. It was The Crusher 2012 Viognier!

Now let me preface my impressions by saying that I'm more of a dry red fan. My only real excursions into the wide world of white are with my SO, who is an ardent Chardonnay fan when she's not drinking reds with me.

We popped the cork and poured two glasses to find it an intense yellow color. We both almost in unison commented on how it looked like apple juice. The nose showed floral, with some pear and a touch of alcohol on the end. The SO said it smelled fruity and also isolated some pears.

The palate is fruit. Cantaloupe, peach, and maybe some apricot. There's a kind of nutmeggy sweet spice that characterizes the medium finish. The wine has a full, coating mouth feel.

My 2 criticisms are that this wine is overly fruited/overly sweet, and the acid. First, both my SO and I found that after a glass or so, the intensity of the fruit and sweetness is a bit overwhelming. I'm not sure if it's a rs thing or just the intensity of the fruit notes. Second, the wine seemed to lack some backbone. Maybe it's just my palate but I wanted more acid. I don't want to call the wine flabby, because I think it can stand on it's own just fine and would probably go great with food. I'm thinking I'm just used to Chard, but I would've preferred a bit more crispness. SO agreed.

TLDR; This is a very fruity and perhaps slightly sweet white. Pleasant nose, multiple layers of fruit, and a nice finish. Interesting wine for my first Viognier and a pleasant experience. If you're looking for a sweeter seeming white with great fruit that will pair well with food, I would say this is a fine example.

bsevern

quality posts: 109 Private Messages bsevern

I love a good Viognier! Last night my girlfriend made homemade potstickers & wonton soup, & I opened a bottle of 2009 Inspiration Vineyards Viognier to go with it. Souper pairing

Jon makes killer Viognier, makes me wish I bought more from his awesome tax break sale.

Now the Orange Crusher is back...I'd enjoy seeing additional tasting notes, I loved the 2010.

Winedavid39

quality posts: 200 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

bsevern wrote:I love a good Viognier! Last night my girlfriend made homemade potstickers & wonton soup, & I opened a bottle of 2009 Inspiration Vineyards Viognier to go with it. Souper pairing

Jon makes killer Viognier, makes me wish I bought more from his awesome tax break sale.

Now the Orange Crusher is back...I'd enjoy seeing additional tasting notes, I loved the 2010.

Made exclusively for wine.woot. Pretty cool.

mother

quality posts: 15 Private Messages mother
jcarlton03 wrote:I was VERY happy with the '10 and disappointed in the '11. Anyone out there able to compare the two with this current release?

I found myself in possession of a '12 The Crusher blend the other evening and paired it with cedar planked salmon with a soy/maple glaze wit h a little zing to it.

I have not had the previous vintages, so I cannot compare (sorry). On the flabby note- I did not and would not describe it as flabby, but it is not particularly acidic. I don't think it's supposed to be an overly malic style of wine... It had enough acid to clear the palate from the rather oily fish.

My big mistake was popping it in my parents fridge for a few hours- I think it must be a Rhone white thing (the viognier), but this wine HATES the cold.

Virtually nothing going on but a very tannic finish on PnP. I actually apologized at this point and offered to open up the backup Pinot I had brought.

Thankfully we didn't give up- as it warmed towards room temperature the fruit showed up and the tannins softened and started hitting more mid palate. The wine ended up having a really nice balance of fruitiness and silky tanins. Don't have much in the way of notes (was elbows deep into dinner before it started warming up and tasting like something) but lychee really comes to mind- not just the flavor but the lack of strong acidity and the tannins you get off the pit.

So to recap:
-no prominent acidity, but
-not flabby
-hates the cold
-if served at proper temperature it pairs quite well with even an oily fish with some spice and sweetness on it.

Bione wrote:
This wine is on the sweet end for a white wine. -snip- There's some complexity, but for me the sweetness was overwhelming. It's not nearly as sweet as an Ethiopian honey-wine, but in terms of flavor, color, and texture this is as close to that as I've found (yet still made from grapes).

Say what? I didn't get much residual sugar in this at all- it was rather fruity once warm, but sweet like from sugar- I didn't get that. And where would a [shudder] honey wine get tannins from!?

eluofthenine

quality posts: 7 Private Messages eluofthenine
mother wrote:My big mistake was popping it in my parents fridge for a few hours- I think it must be a Rhone white thing (the viognier), but this wine HATES the cold.

I would say the same thing about the Viognier. I think I brought it out of about 52-53 F storage and it really gained some nice complexity after about 30 min of warm up time.

WilfBrim

quality posts: 18 Private Messages WilfBrim

Every these come up, I can only think of this:

I still can't decide if I'm in for one or not. Seems interesting, but also more expensive than the last time out.

wordek

quality posts: 23 Private Messages wordek

Missed the 2010 when it sold out, bought the 2011...I've only tried one bottle of my three, perhaps I can crack another one w/ some cheese much later tonight...

I will second previous opinions that in general these orange wines are at their best when served warmer, closer to a red wine temperature than to a white. Interesting fruits that make the apparent sweetness increase as the bottle gets more air, and really neat complexity vs most white wines.

I usually prefer red wines and thus I enjoy sampling other whites/roses that have the potential to be unique, age-worthy, or possess the body and complexity to more closely mirror a red... In my opinion the 2011 certainly fit the bill. Overall (much like a young red) it just definitely benefits from getting some air, and I wouldn't serve it extremely cold!

I hope I can hold one of my 2011's for long enough to see how they evolve as with age, and I pulled the trigger on these without even thinking. I'll be excited to see how they compare :-)

xibbumbero

quality posts: 5 Private Messages xibbumbero

Bought this the first time it was offered. I did not care for it.
I thought it tasted weird.

North316

xibbumbero wrote:Bought this the first time it was offered. I did not care for it.
I thought it tasted weird.

That's a quality post if I've ever seen one....

My CT

Bione

quality posts: 26 Private Messages Bione
rjquillin wrote:I'll echo North's question, are you speaking here of the 2012 blend in today's offering?
Did you taste from a bottle found locally or received from a friend?

Apologies for the confusion. I have only ever had the 2010, bought from Woot. I agree that it did not benefit from being chilled - serve it 65-70 if you can.

I'm a big Viognier fan, and was skeptical because of the Chardonnay component. While I agree the 2010 wine was interesting, more complex than a standard chardonnay, and had nice floral/fruity notes, I found it sweet.

I served it to folks who don't drink a lot of white and they found it very accessible but interesting. When I served it to folks who like their whites drier than a bone, they were much less impressed.

Maybe I got four duff bottles. Maybe I irrevocably ruined it by chilling it before serving in the fridge, but I stand by what I said: I found it sweet. If you like a dry white, I would caution against buying this.

mrsjhaye

quality posts: 16 Private Messages mrsjhaye

Didn't get to try the '10 but did try the '11. I thought it was just OK but my tastes run more toward petite syrahs and perhaps a cold pinot grigio when weather is warm BUT my son and daughter-in-law enjoyed it very much. That being said, I'm in for this offering and will let it age then try it. If nothing else, orange wine is a good novelty for certain guests.

kencan420

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kencan420

went to buy this wine & shipping went up $2 ? no mention from woot ? canceled order why not be up front ?

kencan420

trifecta

quality posts: 72 Private Messages trifecta
kencan420 wrote:went to buy this wine & shipping went up $2 ? no mention from woot ? canceled order why not be up front ?

Only for wine and only for the summer. They have been up front. In fact now you have 2 options.

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 156 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

kencan420 wrote:went to buy this wine & shipping went up $2 ? no mention from woot ? canceled order why not be up front ?

We have been up front; we're also taking care of the wine you order:

Wine.Woot Summer Shipping

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
ROGETRAY wrote:We have been up front; we're also taking care of the wine you order:

Wine.Woot Summer Shipping

Why do you guys always hide everything? I mean, you hide it so well, it's in plain view.

Also, I'm canceling my order over $2.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 156 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

kylemittskus wrote:Why do you guys always hide everything? I mean, you hide it so well, it's in plain view.

Also, I'm canceling my order over $2.

Well for those of you who are REALLY upset, we can open up our $1.50 wine catalog.

But I'm pretty sure you guys wouldn't bet interested....

thormj

quality posts: 5 Private Messages thormj
ROGETRAY wrote:Well for those of you who are REALLY upset, we can open up our $1.50 wine catalog.

But I'm pretty sure you guys wouldn't bet interested....

I am
My wife only seems interested in plum wines :/

greyday

quality posts: 52 Private Messages greyday
thormj wrote:I am
My wife only seems interested in plum wines :/

If you live in Oregon, I make plum wines and would be happy to do some trading with you.

And dammit, Woot!, I was doing so well not buying anything for MONTHS and now this is like the 5th order in a week or so. *sigh* In for two.