3%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 187 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

Twisted Oak Mixed Red 3-Pack
$59.99 (Winery Price plus shipping: $95.00)

2010 Calaveras County Carignane
2009 Calaveras County Petite Sirah
2009 Tanner Vineyard Syrah
CT Links above

Winery Website
Winery Website for Woot!

Previous Offer(s):
1/18/2012 - Mixed 3 pack with 2009 Carignane and 2007 Tanner Syrah (Jeff, any comments on differences in 2007 vs. 2009?)
9/18/2012 - 2008 PS (Jeff, also comments on this one vs. 2009?)

Note that Summer Shipping now is in effect ($2 more for regular WW shipping due to refrigerator trucks, and new $10 (per item, not per order) 2-day shipping option. EDIT: Note that it is per item, not per order. Per item means each set, not per bottle. So for this offer, each set you order is 1 item. 1 set is $10, 2 sets is $20, and so on.

Make sure when you order, you pick the correct option.

For those interested, the original 2007 thread about Summer Shipping.

Edit: The Grand Exalted Triple Tastemaster Supreme will return on Sunday.

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

eljefetwisted

quality posts: 45 Private Messages eljefetwisted
MarkDaSpark wrote:Twisted Oak Mixed Red 3-Pack
$59.99

Not surprised who's first ;)

Jeff Stai, Owner, Twisted Oak Winery
http://www.twistedoak.com/
http://www.facebook.com/twistedoak

eljefetwisted

Use the link below to get more info about all three of these wines at the Twisted Oak Winery web site.

http://www.twistedoak.com/woot

If you have questions I'll be checking in often - El Jefe

cortot20

quality posts: 159 Private Messages cortot20

Had the 03' tanner vineyard Syrah early this year and loved it. Plenty of life left in it too.

I would be all over this but all my storage is full plus some boxes in the closet. It's a bummer.

CT

eljefetwisted

cortot20 wrote:Had the 03' tanner vineyard Syrah early this year and loved it. Plenty of life left in it too.

I would be all over this but all my storage is full plus some boxes in the closet. It's a bummer.

We've been really happy with how the Tanner wines have developed with age.

As for the closet... clothes are overrated? ;)

MarkDaSpark

eljefetwisted wrote:Not surprised who's first ;)

Aw shucks!

Well, you did put a PS and Syrah in the set! Plus Carignane is always tasty.

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark

Um, guys ... The Specs section still shows $5 shipping, so the MSRP is off by $2.

eljefetwisted

MarkDaSpark wrote:Aw shucks!

Well, you did put a PS and Syrah in the set! Plus Carignane is always tasty.

WD has been after me for months to do a sale... I saw the last few cases of Carignane sitting there and thought "well, why not?"

It IS really tasty!

MarkDaSpark

eljefetwisted wrote:Use the link below to get more info about all three of these wines at the Twisted Oak Winery web site.

http://www.twistedoak.com/woot

If you have questions I'll be checking in often - El Jefe

I put links in for previous TO offers, and the 2010 Carignane (sold out on TO website) is one of them.

But the other two seem to be new for us, so any comments on the differences between the two previous offers (2008 PS vs this one, and the 2007 Tanner Syrah vs. this one)?

MarkDaSpark

eljefetwisted wrote:WD has been after me for months to do a sale... I saw the last few cases of Carignane sitting there and thought "well, why not?"

It IS really tasty!

Oh great ... now I have to see if they will up my order!

eljefetwisted

MarkDaSpark wrote:Previous Offer(s):
1/18/2012 - Mixed 3 pack with 2009 Carignane (current offer) and 2007 Tanner Syrah (Jeff, any comments on differences in 2007 vs. 2009?)
9/18/2012 - 2008 PS (Jeff, also comments on this one vs. 2009?)

Good questions! The 2009 and 2010 Carignanes are very similar, with that big dose of blueberries. The general differences in the vintages really show with these wines. 2009 was a big sunny vintage, and the fruit and spice are front and center. 2010 was almost the opposite, a very cool summer where ripening was slow and arduous for the nervous winemaker - but it's also great for flavor development. So the 2010 is a little reserved on the fruit but has more complexity with earthy chocolatey notes.

The story on the PS is the opposite - 2008 was a cool year so with the 2009 you'll again see more fruit forward.

Edit: Whoops, how could I forget the Tanner Syrah? I would consider the 2007 and 2009 as being very similar in character, with the 2009 leaning more in the fruit forward direction. 2009 was just such a huge year, we had grapes coming out of our ears!

rjquillin

quality posts: 185 Private Messages rjquillin

Curses Eljefe,
you too WD,
and MdS,
and PS.

What is a SIWBM?
in for 2
How can I not break down for this?

CT

MarkDaSpark

rjquillin wrote:Curses Eljefe,
you too WD,
and MdS,
and PS.

What is a SIWBM?
in for 2
How can I not break down for this?

You popping up tomorrow for the gathering?

MarkDaSpark

eljefetwisted wrote:Good questions! The 2009 and 2010 Carignanes are very similar, with that big dose of blueberries. The general differences in the vintages really show with these wines. 2009 was a big sunny vintage, and the fruit and spice are front and center. 2010 was almost the opposite, a very cool summer where ripening was slow and arduous for the nervous winemaker - but it's also great for flavor development. So the 2010 is a little reserved on the fruit but has more complexity with earthy chocolatey notes.

The story on the PS is the opposite - 2008 was a cool year so with the 2009 you'll again see more fruit forward.

Edit: Whoops, how could I forget the Tanner Syrah? I would consider the 2007 and 2009 as being very similar in character, with the 2009 leaning more in the fruit forward direction. 2009 was just such a huge year, we had grapes coming out of our ears!

Thanks!!

MaureenV

quality posts: 3 Private Messages MaureenV

I want to purchase 3 of these with two day shipping. When I click of the 2 day, it shows a shipping charge of $30. Is this correct or should it be $10?

bcudone

quality posts: 2 Private Messages bcudone

I Love Twisted Oak! What is the drinking winow on these babies?

rjquillin

quality posts: 185 Private Messages rjquillin
MarkDaSpark wrote:

You popping up tomorrow for the gathering?

Things could still change, but planning on it.

CT

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98

Ermagherd, twersterd erk! Seeing as how we're having our awesome Wootception there in August (ermagherd, yer all invited!) And my bonus just came in, I think we may have to purchase this!

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

mommadeb1

quality posts: 18 Private Messages mommadeb1

#!%... we just had a extra expense due to daughters misplannig ..I'm coming to wootception in Aug....I'm out of work til end of Aug....we will be hemoraging money all summer....how am I going to explain this??!!!!! Saying. "But honey, it's TO, and it's on sale"....might help????!!! Hmmm what to do.......

pseudogourmet98

quality posts: 19 Private Messages pseudogourmet98
mommadeb1 wrote:#!%... we just had a extra expense due to daughters misplannig ..I'm coming to wootception in Aug....I'm out of work til end of Aug....we will be hemoraging money all summer....how am I going to explain this??!!!!! Saying. "But honey, it's TO, and it's on sale"....might help????!!! Hmmm what to do.......

Have it shipped to your neighbor's house and sneak it over. Maybe he won't notice?

pcuccaro

quality posts: 8 Private Messages pcuccaro

El Jefe is providing a nice deal today. I'm a member of the Twisted Freaks club and these bottles are less than the club price. Winedavid must be a tough negotiator!

Fill your glass when it is empty, empty it when it is full, never leave it empty, never leave it full.
Italian proverb

mommadeb1

pseudogourmet98 wrote:Have it shipped to your neighbor's house and sneak it over. Maybe he won't notice?

Its bad enough it gets shipped to my moms house

HitAnyKey42

quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42
pcuccaro wrote:El Jefe is providing a nice deal today. I'm a member of the Twisted Freaks club and these bottles are less than the club price. Winedavid must be a tough negotiator!

Plus he loves us.

Or he's making room at the winery in preparation for the impending woot horde.

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

dalematthew

quality posts: 24 Private Messages dalematthew

Too funny - we're up in Arnold this weekend and plan to head over to the winery today / tomorrow.

Don't miss out on these - delicious and better than the members price (not even taking into account shipping).

I just saw you have a picture of the rosa up on the TO website - cool! A pink River of Skulls!

kylemittskus

quality posts: 232 Private Messages kylemittskus

Damnit! TO was my first W.W purchase years ago. Love these wine, but I absolutely must pass.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

MarkDaSpark

MaureenV wrote:I want to purchase 3 of these with two day shipping. When I click of the 2 day, it shows a shipping charge of $30. Is this correct or should it be $10?

The thread shows it "per item", so for each set, it would be $10. Two sets would be $20, and so on.

Which would make sense if it was a full case, but not sure if it's worth it for a 3 bottle set.

Edit: That being said, That may not be that bad, since 2 day shipping can reach over $60, depending on how far it's going.

chipgreen

quality posts: 202 Private Messages chipgreen

HERE is an alternate CT entry for the Carignane which designates it as Tanner Vineyard, like last year's offering.

MarkDaSpark

chipgreen wrote:HERE is an alternate CT entry for the Carignane which designates it as Tanner Vineyard, like last year's offering.

Probably would have been better to edit the other CT entry to add Tanner. Since that one has purchases and this one doesn't.

Edit: Just made the edit, and it will be reviewed by CT site admin.

shrdlu

quality posts: 4 Private Messages shrdlu
MarkDaSpark wrote:The thread shows it "per item", so for each set, it would be $10. Two sets would be $20, and so on.

Glad you posted that. It was informative (and I hadn't seen it). I'm very torn. I'd rather have it protected (this time of year can be wine-killing hot), but two-day shipping seems also attractive. Before I go for six bottles (all I have room for, dammit), does anyone have a specific on how two-day shipping is packaged?

If it's the same way as normal, then I might as well not give up the $$$. One day of heat is enough to send it to ruin.

It takes months to find a customer, but only seconds to lose one.
The good news is that we should run out of them in no time.

http://demotivators.despair.com/demotivational/disservicedemotivator.jpg

chipgreen

quality posts: 202 Private Messages chipgreen
MarkDaSpark wrote:Probably would have been better to edit the other CT entry to add Tanner. Since that one has purchases and this one doesn't.

Edit: Just made the edit, and it will be reviewed by CT site admin.

But the other entry was already established from last year (with 65 bottles) and this would simply be the next vintage for it. Either way, as mentioned it's just an alternate for those who want to use it.

MarkDaSpark

shrdlu wrote:Glad you posted that. It was informative (and I hadn't seen it). I'm very torn. I'd rather have it protected (this time of year can be wine-killing hot), but two-day shipping seems also attractive. Before I go for six bottles (all I have room for, dammit), does anyone have a specific on how two-day shipping is packaged?

If it's the same way as normal, then I might as well not give up the $$$. One day of heat is enough to send it to ruin.

Chances are that they use the styrofoam packaging, since I just received a shipment with it. But it's the weekend, and it seems no one is commenting (here or in the Summer Shipping thread).

MarkDaSpark

chipgreen wrote:But the other entry was already established from last year (with 65 bottles) and this would simply be the next vintage for it. Either way, as mentioned it's just an alternate for those who want to use it.

That's what's caused problems in the past, when there are two entries for the same wine.

If no one has created it, then as you said, it's better to use the older vintage as the template for the new vintage.

However, if someone has created one, it's better to edit that one, than create a new one. Less confusion for the future.

siwbm

quality posts: 5 Private Messages siwbm

Oy vey!

mommadeb1

pseudogourmet98 wrote:Have it shipped to your neighbor's house and sneak it over. Maybe he won't notice?

klezman

quality posts: 130 Private Messages klezman

Totally want it, totally shouldn't buy it. We'll see what happens. That I'm getting a bunch of bottles from fellow wooters tonight at the gathering means I have even less space to put it.

2014: 42 bottles. Last wine.woot: 2012 Iron Horse Estate Chardonnay
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

eljefetwisted

bcudone wrote:I Love Twisted Oak! What is the drinking winow on these babies?

We're already 4 years from vintage on the 09s so the window is open. I'd say further development on the PS for at least 7 years post vintage, the Syrah has a bit more structure so I'd go 9 years from vintage.

The Carignane drinks as a younger wine so I'd say drink now, but it should hang out for another couple years at least (I don't have as much experience with this as a varietal wine.)

eljefetwisted

pcuccaro wrote:El Jefe is providing a nice deal today. I'm a member of the Twisted Freaks club and these bottles are less than the club price. Winedavid must be a tough negotiator!

WD seems like a Calling Dr. Howard, Dr. Fine, Dr. Howard!cat, but yeah...;) Also, I kinda missed you guys!

eljefetwisted

eljefetwisted wrote:WD seems like a Calling Dr. Howard, Dr. Fine, Dr. Howard!cat, but yeah...;) Also, I kinda missed you guys!

Let's try "puddytat"?

coolchris160

quality posts: 47 Private Messages coolchris160
eljefetwisted wrote:WD seems like a p`u`s`s`y` cat, but yeah...;) Also, I kinda missed you guys!

QFT

*Gotta love that Woot filter ;-)