MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 222 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

And the Dashe PS shipped Friday for a Wednesday delivery? What the Force???

Not happy. Not happy at all.

Edit: IH Mystery shipped on a Friday as well. Checking them today at my Wine locker has become imperative.

5/03/2016 - Tuesday
11:28 am Delivered Irvine, CA

4:52 am On FedEx vehicle for delivery ANAHEIM, CA
4:48 am Arrived at FedEx location ANAHEIM, CA
4:45 am At local FedEx facility ANAHEIM, CA

4/30/2016 - Saturday
6:19 am Left FedEx origin facility SACRAMENTO, CA
12:06 am Arrived at FedEx location SACRAMENTO, CA

4/29/2016 - Friday
12:00 am Picked up SACRAMENTO, CA
4/28/2016 - Thursday
4:46 pm Shipment information sent to FedEx

So from the time it left Sacramento on Saturday morning (6:19am) until it arrived in Anaheim on Tuesday morning (at 4:45am) the wine was incognito for Sunday & Monday.

x19
Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

kaolis

quality posts: 53 Private Messages kaolis

No more woot wine til fall, and I've made a few more purchases than normal lately.

It's the WIWBM

(W not meaning wife)

kylemittskus

quality posts: 249 Private Messages kylemittskus

Yeah, I'm using summer as my excuse to hold off on purchases for a couple months. We'll see how it goes...

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

tytiger58

quality posts: 79 Private Messages tytiger58

It's 100 degrees here today I'm done too. Sure hope when my butter arrives tomorrow it isn't clarified

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

kaolis

tytiger58 wrote:It's 100 degrees here today I'm done too. Sure hope when my butter arrives tomorrow it isn't clarified

Hey, ghee whiz!

karenhynes

quality posts: 14 Private Messages karenhynes

I think I will be skipping the summer shipping this year, too. I just had a wine purchase sit in a truck locally, "out for delivery", from 3:51am on Saturday (5/28) until it was delivered on Tuesday (5/31) at 10:19am. That's more than 72 hours just sitting in an abandoned FedEx truck in 80-90 degree weather. I assume it gets significantly hotter inside the truck.

I needed an excuse to stop buying wine anyhow.

Wine is bottled poetry - Robert Louis Stevenson

rjquillin

quality posts: 270 Private Messages rjquillin
karenhynes wrote:I think I will be skipping the summer shipping this year, too. I just had a wine purchase sit in a truck locally, "out for delivery", from 3:51am on Saturday (5/28) until it was delivered on Tuesday (5/31) at 10:19am. That's more than 72 hours just sitting in an abandoned FedEx truck in 80-90 degree weather. I assume it gets significantly hotter inside the truck.

I needed an excuse to stop buying wine anyhow.

San Diego did a bit better, it was overcast most all of the weekend and holiday, and officially it was just in the 70's. However, from 08:59 Saturday to 11:35 Tuesday I had $249.39 of Iron Horse and $226.77 of Wellington sitting IN a truck.
All in pulp, none in styro.

If this had been 'home' as was the case a year or so ago, it would have been delivered on Saturday, but this was 'ground', not till the next business day.
Ship it a day earlier, or wait!

Inexcusable lapse in what are normally stellar shipping logistics.
I can only think someone was having an 'off' day.

CT

karenhynes

quality posts: 14 Private Messages karenhynes
rjquillin wrote:
...snip...

Inexcusable lapse in what are normally stellar shipping logistics.

I agree. You order far more than I do , but for my money it's just not worth the risk of heat damage, particularly for wines I have no intention of opening for several years. I don't want to wonder 5 years from now why my wines taste "off". I will sit out until October-ish.

Wine is bottled poetry - Robert Louis Stevenson

rjquillin

karenhynes wrote:I agree. You order far more than I do , but for my money it's just not worth the risk of heat damage, particularly for wines I have no intention of opening for several years. I don't want to wonder 5 years from now why my wines taste "off". I will sit out until October-ish.

Exactly.

But in SoCal October can be one of our hottest months when we get "Santa Ana" winds from the east that blow hot and dry into triple (F) digits.

Styro helps, but not for three days in a truck.

CT

tytiger58

rjquillin wrote:
I can only think someone was having an 'off' day.

An off day really you have to be kidding?

klezman

quality posts: 159 Private Messages klezman
tytiger58 wrote:An off day really you have to be kidding?

With the timing, yeah.
Even though I agree with these logistical issues, WD has an excellent record. At least with my deliveries to both NorCal and SoCal.

2016: 57 bottles. Last wine.woot: 2009 Roessler Random Pinots
2015: 107 bottles, 2014: 57 bottles, 2013: 66, 2012: 91, 2011: 92, 2010: 74, 2009: 30, 2008: 3 My CT

MarkDaSpark

klezman wrote:With the timing, yeah.
Even though I agree with these logistical issues, WD has an excellent record. At least with my deliveries to both NorCal and SoCal.

I suspect someone new in shipping. Because between the two shipments (Dashe & Wellington) this past holiday weekend and the Iron Horse Mystery last month, these have been the only WW shipments that sat over a weekend.

It was another company a few years ago that shipped my Wine over the July 4th weekend. Needless to say, I never ordered from them again.

x19
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

kaolis

My Renteria pinot sat in a truck over the weekend. Weather upper 70's/low 80's. Pulp.

tytiger58

MarkDaSpark wrote:I suspect someone new in shipping. Because between the two shipments (Dashe & Wellington) this past holiday weekend and the Iron Horse Mystery last month, these have been the only WW shipments that sat over a weekend.

It was another company a few years ago that shipped my Wine over the July 4th weekend. Needless to say, I never ordered from them again.

I don't know when the shipping changed to Fridays because I have not bought much over the last year but those Spaniards that shipped on a Friday and Sat over the hottest weekend so far this year really irked me.

They used to ship on Monday or Tuesday to so cal.

tytiger58

klezman wrote:With the timing, yeah.

Past record means nothing to the 12 Spaniards we well be drinking much sooner than later, que the apologists

MarkDaSpark

tytiger58 wrote:I don't know when the shipping changed to Fridays because I have not bought much over the last year but those Spaniards that shipped on a Friday and Sat over the hottest weekend so far this year really irked me.

They used to ship on Monday or Tuesday to so cal.

The 3 sets shipped in between the IH Mystery and this past weekend all shipped Monday to Wednesday, and arrived by Friday.

WD knows his stuff, which is why I suspect someone new is responsible. Or a software glitch that forwarded the shipping info too early.

Not sure why the IH Mystery sat til Tuesday ... no holiday then. This time, one shipped on Thursday, and the other shipped on Friday. The Thursday was delivered on Tuesday, and the Friday was delivered on Wednesday. Truly silly to sit the extra day!

x19

tytiger58

MarkDaSpark wrote:The 3 sets shipped in between the IH Mystery and this past weekend all shipped Monday to Wednesday, and arrived by Friday.

WD knows his stuff, which is why I suspect someone new is responsible. Or a software glitch that forwarded the shipping info too early.

Not sure why the IH Mystery sat til Tuesday ... no holiday then. This time, one shipped on Thursday, and the other shipped on Friday. The Thursday was delivered on Tuesday, and the Friday was delivered on Wednesday. Truly silly to sit the extra day!

Of course WD knows his stuff,I just appreciate that when you see a problem you say something about it. That's the only way to get something fixed instead of falling back on past record

arianakalff

quality posts: 0 Private Messages arianakalff

Guest Blogger

Hey Guys! With Wine David out for a little well deserved R&R, I thought I’d chime in. We appreciate you voicing concern regarding your current shipping experience. Getting your wine to you in perfect condition is, of course, our highest priority. No new shipping clerk. Felt like last week was cool enough to ship any day. This week we moved into selecting the best days to ship, in order to limit weekend exposure. Our next phase will be to move into our refrigerated summer shipping program. We will let everyone know when that occurs. We have been using this cadence for ten years with great success. Hope this helps and we look forward to continuing to fill your wine cellars this summer!

kaolis

arianakalff wrote:Hey Guys! With Wine David out for a little well deserved R&R, I thought I’d chime in. We appreciate you voicing concern regarding your current shipping experience. Getting your wine to you in perfect condition is, of course, our highest priority. No new shipping clerk. Felt like last week was cool enough to ship any day. This week we moved into selecting the best days to ship, in order to limit weekend exposure. Our next phase will be to move into our refrigerated summer shipping program. We will let everyone know when that occurs. We have been using this cadence for ten years with great success. Hope this helps and we look forward to continuing to fill your wine cellars this summer!

Even with summer shipping here in Chicago the hub to standard trucks is St. Louis unless that has changed. St. Louis is blistering hot all summer. So no woot wine for me until October or so.

chipgreen

quality posts: 272 Private Messages chipgreen
kaolis wrote:Even with summer shipping here in Chicago the hub to standard trucks is St. Louis unless that has changed. St. Louis is blistering hot all summer. So no woot wine for me until October or so.

Same here. Summer shipping used to mean refrigerated truck all the way to Columbus, OH just 2 hours from me but now it's St. Louis which is 2 days transit in mostly scorching temps. Past record is great but downgrading service and then using past record as assurance is a little bit disingenuous.

tytiger58

tytiger58 wrote:It's 100 degrees here today I'm done too. Sure hope when my butter arrives tomorrow it isn't clarified

Well the butter came in today at a chilly 79.5 degrees. See you all in November

MarkDaSpark

arianakalff wrote:Hey Guys! With Wine David out for a little well deserved R&R, I thought I’d chime in. We appreciate you voicing concern regarding your current shipping experience. Getting your wine to you in perfect condition is, of course, our highest priority. No new shipping clerk. Felt like last week was cool enough to ship any day. This week we moved into selecting the best days to ship, in order to limit weekend exposure. Our next phase will be to move into our refrigerated summer shipping program. We will let everyone know when that occurs. We have been using this cadence for ten years with great success. Hope this helps and we look forward to continuing to fill your wine cellars this summer!

Not when it stays in the truck over a Holiday weekend!

Be prepared for a plethora of refund requests for cooked wines.

Edit: So will the current offers ship Monday to Wednesday to SoCal? I've been holding off on the IH Magnum Plus offer, since no one has answered there.

x19

kaolis

Sorry, but your next best move would be to offer summer shipping holds, for fall delivery.

Problem here is that we are a vocal minority, with many people ordering no matter the weather.

MarkDaSpark

Hmmm ... you can do Expedited for $10 more when ordering. Perhaps someone there needs to figure out how much to charge for Summer Holds!

So much per month, and add it to the checkout. Plus, it would be easier to bundle and ship all summer purchases!

With the hot weather the past 2 or 3 summers, it has been harder.

x19

kaolis

MarkDaSpark wrote:Hmmm ... you can do Expedited for $10 more when ordering. Perhaps someone there needs to figure out how much to charge for Summer Holds!

So much per month, and add it to the checkout. Plus, it would be easier to bundle and ship all summer purchases!

With the hot weather the past 2 or 3 summers, it has been harder.

Problem there is most if not all folks hold shipping for free. No way I'm paying an upcharge for a hold.

Edit...never heard of paying for summer shipping holds. Maybe a modest storage charge if you don't have a wine shipped or picked up for an extended period not weather related. But a charge for a summer hold? No sir.

Edit II... but you may not be far off. Maybe we'll see summer holds offered one day. And those costs will be built in, impacting the cost of every deal every day.

And what is the real reason summer holds are not possible? I honestly do not know. I can think of several reasons. Storage/logistics/business model etc. WD is a wine guy, he has to know better. But if they are selling the wine no matter what we say here, who cares right?

bolligra

quality posts: 40 Private Messages bolligra
chipgreen wrote:Same here. Summer shipping used to mean refrigerated truck all the way to Columbus, OH just 2 hours from me but now it's St. Louis which is 2 days transit in mostly scorching temps. Past record is great but downgrading service and then using past record as assurance is a little bit disingenuous.

Yeah, and here the refrigerated truck takes I-70 right through Denver on its way to St. Louis, and then transferred to regular ground transportation to retrace 860 miles back. Doesn't work for me.

As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

klezman

tytiger58 wrote:Of course WD knows his stuff,I just appreciate that when you see a problem you say something about it. That's the only way to get something fixed instead of falling back on past record

I try to give WD benefit of the doubt He's earned it, but I agree it's just frustrating to see wine sit out in transit for so long for no reason.

2015: 107 bottles, 2014: 57 bottles, 2013: 66, 2012: 91, 2011: 92, 2010: 74, 2009: 30, 2008: 3 My CT

tytiger58

klezman wrote:I try to give WD benefit of the doubt He's earned it, but I agree it's just frustrating to see wine sit out in transit for so long for no reason.

Yes we know you're a homer but this really needs to be fixed, not even so much for us our ship only takes 1 day to go from Nor Cal if done on a Monday or Tuesday. But if you live back east you are talking 3 to 5 days of travel + hand offs at hubs. At least a ice pack in styro would give wine a chance if you have to ship in the blazing summer, (not those frozen ketchup packs from days of old . Charge a few bucks more in shipping?

Good lord i'm starting to sound like a hippie who cares about the down trodden people who won't speak for themselves, next thing you know I will start smoking pot. I'm out!

MarkDaSpark

kaolis wrote:Problem there is most if not all folks hold shipping for free. No way I'm paying an upcharge for a hold.

Edit...never heard of paying for summer shipping holds. Maybe a modest storage charge if you don't have a wine shipped or picked up for an extended period not weather related. But a charge for a summer hold? No sir.

Edit II... but you may not be far off. Maybe we'll see summer holds offered one day. And those costs will be built in, impacting the cost of every deal every day.

And what is the real reason summer holds are not possible? I honestly do not know. I can think of several reasons. Storage/logistics/business model etc. WD is a wine guy, he has to know better. But if they are selling the wine no matter what we say here, who cares right?

You forget that they charge full price for shipping, even if they don't charge for holding it.

The WW model is based on shipping included in the price, and that's not counting on holding wines for several months. Plus any additional costs to consolidate orders.

You need to understand more about the wine industry as well. The wineries may not actually store the wine on their property, but more likely at a central warehouse on pallets. They send x amount of pallets to the WW warehouse (which while large, probably couldn't hold all our summer wines) for them to separate and ship out to us.

These central warehouses charge the wineries per pallet or partial pallet, so who is charged for holds? Not WW, because they aren't the owner of the wine.

I was thinking that for some, the current summer shipping is fine. But obviously for some, having the option for holding Wine is better. In which case, a small fee to cover additional costs would be appropriate, since consolidating our orders would be time consuming.

x19

klezman

tytiger58 wrote:but this really needs to be fixed, not even so much for us our ship only takes 1 day to go from Nor Cal if done on a Monday or Tuesday. But if you live back east you are talking 3 to 5 days of travel + hand offs at hubs.

In case it wasn't clear, I agree it needs a bit of attention to correct these issues.

arianakalff

quality posts: 0 Private Messages arianakalff

Guest Blogger

MarkDaSpark wrote:

Edit: So will the current offers ship Monday to Wednesday to SoCal? I've been holding off on the IH Magnum Plus offer, since no one has answered there.

The answer to this question is yes. Southern California shipments will only ship out Monday to Wednesday.

rjquillin

arianakalff wrote:The answer to this question is yes. Southern California shipments will only ship out Monday to Wednesday.

Well, hopefully the Wednesday before Thanksgiving will be excluded...
Along with other similar anomalies of the calendar.

CT

mommadeb1

quality posts: 24 Private Messages mommadeb1

Suggestion- offer summer shipping earlier....For those of us in areas where the highs have been in the low 90's, I am hesitant to order if there is not Summer shipping. I don't need my wine to take a week, by slow truck to get to me. I don't mind paying the summer shipping rates, if the wine will actually get to me quickly.

Other sites will hold my orders and ship late fall. Shipping is free with minimum purchase. Holding is free.

MarkDaSpark

arianakalff wrote:The answer to this question is yes. Southern California shipments will only ship out Monday to Wednesday.

A day late. Missed out on ordering the IH.

x19

kaolis

klezman wrote:In case it wasn't clear, I agree it needs a bit of attention to correct these issues.

But then you say we don't understand thermodynamics and if it is shipped in styro and outside temps are 100 degrees all is good. Sorry still prefer to ship in cool temps.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 249 Private Messages kylemittskus
kaolis wrote:But then you say we don't understand thermodynamics and if it is shipped in styro and outside temps are 100 degrees all is good. Sorry still prefer to ship in cool temps.

I'm going to be honest. I don't understand thermodynamics.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

tytiger58

If people don't care let it lay/lie? my friends. You're just peeing in the wind

klezman

kaolis wrote:But then you say we don't understand thermodynamics and if it is shipped in styro and outside temps are 100 degrees all is good. Sorry still prefer to ship in cool temps.

Not saying it's all good...just that it takes actual time for it to become a problem. I left the actual calculations to the experts

muranojo

quality posts: 2 Private Messages muranojo

Just got my case of Rockus Bricks of Chocolatekus Red @ noon today. Left Sacramento ~ midnight Wed. and arrived Boise ~noon Friday (today). Just popped a cork a while ago and tastes great to me! But it's been cooler here lately.

kaolis

Getting old... pee all the time, wind or not!

Happy Father's Day