noslensj

quality posts: 41 Private Messages noslensj
fredrinaldi wrote:lol
you have listed many reasons why I'm looking to leave the state when I retire.

I left the state 20 years ago when the opportunity presented itself, for those same reasons. And in the 20 years since I left it has gotten even worse. My kids long dreamed of going back, and most of them did at some point after they became adults. But as adults they now see the lunacy and understand. Two left, and with the third it's just a matter of time - until her husband gets a new posting.

fredrinaldi

quality posts: 23 Private Messages fredrinaldi
noslensj wrote:I left the state 20 years ago when the opportunity presented itself, for those same reasons. And in the 20 years since I left it has gotten even worse. My kids long dreamed of going back, and most of them did at some point after they became adults. But as adults they now see the lunacy and understand. Two left, and with the third it's just a matter of time - until her husband gets a new posting.

checking out Austin Aug. 14 - 18

rjquillin

quality posts: 152 Private Messages rjquillin
fredrinaldi wrote:checking out Austin Aug. 14 - 18

You're leaving CA for the lib center of TX!?
[head scratch]

CT

fredrinaldi

quality posts: 23 Private Messages fredrinaldi
rjquillin wrote:You're leaving CA for the lib center of TX!?
[head scratch]

just checking it out, I paid off my house in Manhattan Beach a couple of years ago, so I got some play $$ and I'm looking for lake front property. My son has an Interview for Austin Fire Dept in July. and daughters live outside Kansas City Mo, could be the perfect location, besides NO STATE INCOME TAX

noslensj

quality posts: 41 Private Messages noslensj

That where one of my kids hopes to be this time next year.

redwinefan

quality posts: 74 Private Messages redwinefan

Good time to come because if you like it here in Austin in mid-August, you'll really like it the rest of the time. Be prepared for more annoying wine related shipping laws here vs CA.

3%, give or take, property taxes on lakefront property can more than make up for the lack of state income taxes.

"You need to invest in a corkscrew. Wine is for drinking." -- Peter Wellington

Foregottensoul

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Foregottensoul
MarkDaSpark wrote:Probably not, but there needs to be clarification if there is foam packing and/or the frozen "ketchup" packs used.

Edit: Just received the Vino Noceto Sangio order, and it was in foam, but no ketchup packs. But it only took 2 days to get to SoCal.

I just got my two orders of the Noceto and it was in cardboard with obvious seepage around the corks. wishing I had received at least the styrofoam in this new mexico heat, in the hundreds the last few days and has to be hotter in the trucks! Seems like they should have used the same shipping style for the orders but guess not...

kylemittskus

quality posts: 224 Private Messages kylemittskus
Foregottensoul wrote:I just got my two orders of the Noceto and it was in cardboard with obvious seepage around the corks. wishing I had received at least the styrofoam in this new mexico heat, in the hundreds the last few days and has to be hotter in the trucks! Seems like they should have used the same shipping style for the orders but guess not...

Ouch! Email support@woot.com and they'll take care of it. Poor, poor Noceto.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

Foregottensoul

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Foregottensoul
kylemittskus wrote:Ouch! Email support@woot.com and they'll take care of it. Poor, poor Noceto.

Email has already been sent and hoping for a positive response. I was really looking forward to having a glass but it seems it will have to wait.

cmaldoon

quality posts: 61 Private Messages cmaldoon
Foregottensoul wrote:Email has already been sent and hoping for a positive response. I was really looking forward to having a glass but it seems it will have to wait.

Woot has ALWAYS been good about this. I've had no issues getting bad bottles replaced.

2014 - 10 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot)
Last purchase: 3/4/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl.
2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
Bungled Original Communicator 2 My Cellar

donrubin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages donrubin

Not happy with the new summer shipping policy. I sprang for the $10 shipping on a recent order and when it didnt arrive after 5 days I emailed support. The response said that it doesn't mean the wine ships in 2 days, it simply means they dont ship on Thurs or Friday. Why to I have to pay extra for that, why dont they ship all wine Mon-Wed? Also the (apparantly incorrect) FAQ states (see what I bolded below):

$10 "two-day" shipping per item: if your time is more valuable than your money, you can pay $10 per item for two-day shipping. By "two-day", we mean two days transit from when your order is shipped, which could generally take up to five days from when you place the order. For instance, we won't ship two-day orders on Thursdays or Fridays. Weekends sitting in a carrier warehouse is just no fun for a wine package. The gist of it is: you should get your "two-day" order within a week from when you place it.

kylemittskus

There was some discussion about the 2-day in the pub also. Same complaints made.

klezman

quality posts: 113 Private Messages klezman

I read the FAQ quote as "you will get your wine via two day shipping methods, an expect it to arrive no later than the end of the business week after you order.

2014: 17 bottles. Last wine.woot: Wellington Vitory x3 & Fjellene Walla Walla Reds
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

mother

quality posts: 14 Private Messages mother

What an FAQ or thread say is highly irrelevant when it conflicts with what the ordering page says.

You need to change the language on that page clear about what is being offered and paid for. At the very least change it to "Two Day(4-7 business days total)" or some such.

(Or even better, have it give you a delivery date which is calculated based on lead time, position of the weekend, and shipping speed)

klezman

^^^ Good idea

2014: 17 bottles. Last wine.woot: Wellington Vitory x3 & Fjellene Walla Walla Reds
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 503 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

I'm passing on your feedback to see what we can do to clear up the confusion we caused.

The best way to think about it is that it's a 2-day delivery method for summer shipping. We still have limits on when the wine can be shipped so it keeps moving and isn't sitting on trucks longer than necessary.

fogtower

quality posts: 1 Private Messages fogtower

All my summer shipments come the same as normal even with the summer shipping option. They are in normal trucks and the Fedex guy says there are no "refrigerated" trucks". What exactly am I paying extra for when my wine is arriving worm or hot like today?

kylemittskus

fogtower wrote:All my summer shipments come the same as normal even with the summer shipping option. They are in normal trucks and the Fedex guy says there are no "refrigerated" trucks". What exactly am I paying extra for when my wine is arriving worm or hot like today?

Where are you? Generally, the fridge trucks take the wine from CA to your hub and from there, normal trucks.

cmaldoon

kylemittskus wrote:Where are you? Generally, the fridge trucks take the wine from CA to your hub and from there, normal trucks.

Well, within CA, summer shipping means absolutely nothing. I actually wish WW would keep CA shipping as $5 year round. C'est la vie!

trifecta

quality posts: 65 Private Messages trifecta
cmaldoon wrote:Well, within CA, summer shipping means absolutely nothing. I actually wish WW would keep CA shipping as $5 year round. C'est la vie!

C'mon... we have to subsidize it for everyone else!! I don't really mind it. $2. I just appreciate the fact mine spends way less time on a truck and have far less risk to be damaged in transit. (due to bay area, not the summer shipping)

cmaldoon

trifecta wrote:C'mon... we have to subsidize it for everyone else!! I don't really mind it. $2. I just appreciate the fact mine spends way less time on a truck and have far less risk to be damaged in transit. (due to bay area, not the summer shipping)

No huge complaint. And I do enjoy my 1 day shipping. I do know that it subsidizes the rest of the shipments. It was less of an issue back when our taxes were subsidized by the rest of the US. Still not really an issue... Just have to add the extra $2 into my calcs. I don't think I've purchased this summer yet...

fogtower

fogtower wrote:All my summer shipments come the same as normal even with the summer shipping option. They are in normal trucks and the Fedex guy says there are no "refrigerated" trucks". What exactly am I paying extra for when my wine is arriving worm or hot like today?

CA, and the CA wine is in styrofoam and the stuff from Michigan was in cardboard and warm off the truck.

Winedavid39

quality posts: 180 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

fogtower wrote:CA, and the CA wine is in styrofoam and the stuff from Michigan was in cardboard and warm off the truck.

Our feeder hub (for lack of a better term) is in Ohio for Michigan packages. So carrier tranit should have been one day.

but the best laid plans don't always pencil out and there may have been a delay within the FedEx system. if you see protruding corks or leakage, for sure contact support@woot.com with our apologies.

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
Winedavid39 wrote:Our feeder hub (for lack of a better term) is in Ohio for Michigan packages. So carrier tranit should have been one day.

but the best laid plans don't always pencil out and there may have been a delay within the FedEx system. if you see protruding corks or leakage, for sure contact support@woot.com with our apologies.

I think you misintepretted him. It sounds like this was a St. Julian package, so it originated in Michigan and then shipped to CA w/o styro-packaging.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

North316 wrote:I think you misintepretted him. It sounds like this was a St. Julian package, so it originated in Michigan and then shipped to CA w/o styro-packaging.

you are correct. I did not see that part. oops. i'll be quiet now..

fogtower

Just spoke to Fedex, they tell me they have no refrigerated trucks and my wine is shipped the same as any other time of the year. Paying the extra $2 on every shipment seems pointless. Who am I subsidizing and do they even get special delivery?

Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

fogtower wrote:Just spoke to Fedex, they tell me they have no refrigerated trucks and my wine is shipped the same as any other time of the year. Paying the extra $2 on every shipment seems pointless. Who am I subsidizing and do they even get special delivery?

Good day.

Since 2007, we've employed a system that connects refrigerated cold trucks (think produce) with strategically located small parcel carrier hubs in the midwest and east coast. The package then enters the carrier system ( generally in the evening) and is out for delivery often the following morning but no more than two days after it leaves the cold truck.

Track record of success firmly intact.

TT, can you link the previous blog posts on the subject?

chipgreen

quality posts: 152 Private Messages chipgreen

I can tell my packages are getting special treatment because of the tracking information. During non-summer shipping, I see my packages originate in CA, usually making at least 1 stop before they end up in OH a few days later. During summer shipping, I don't see the package originating in CA at all. It doesn't track until it hits OH and it's hitting a different city in OH than my non-summer packages.

I've ordered hundreds of bottles from wine.woot and never hesitate to order during the summer. Haven't had a cooked bottle yet.

kylemittskus

Can we not just assume that WD doesn't care enough about $2 to lie to us for 6 years?

redwinefan

kylemittskus wrote:Can we not just assume that WD doesn't care enough about $2 to lie to us for 6 years?

I WANT MY TWO DOLLARS!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdF_Vo4B6Ms

Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

Good stuff. I had not seen that scene and I've caught most of Cusac's earl stuff (Sure Thing was hilarious and of course Say Anything..) what movie was it?

redwinefan

Winedavid39 wrote:Good stuff. I had not seen that scene and I've caught most of Cusac's earl stuff (Sure Thing was hilarious and of course Say Anything..) what movie was it?

Better Off Dead. You need to go watch that... right now

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 503 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Winedavid39 wrote:Good day.

Since 2007, we've employed a system that connects refrigerated cold trucks (think produce) with strategically located small parcel carrier hubs in the midwest and east coast. The package then enters the carrier system ( generally in the evening) and is out for delivery often the following morning but no more than two days after it leaves the cold truck.

Track record of success firmly intact.

TT, can you link the previous blog posts on the subject?

This blog? Summertime And The Shipping Isn’t Easy (June 2007)

Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

ThunderThighs wrote:This blog? Summertime And The Shipping Isn’t Easy (June 2007)

hah, that's pretty dated but it does the trick. heh, we've been at this awhile..

klezman

Got the Twisted Vine today - bottles were warm to the touch, but not leaky and corks not pushed out. Just thought I'd mention it, even though I'm not too concerned about that being enough to have been cooked.

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 23 Private Messages ddeuddeg
fogtower wrote:Just spoke to Fedex, they tell me they have no refrigerated trucks and my wine is shipped the same as any other time of the year. Paying the extra $2 on every shipment seems pointless. Who am I subsidizing and do they even get special delivery?

What the other posts may not have clarified for you is that the FedEx person you talked was probably correct, as far as that went. What he may not realize is that the wine gets to FedEx via a different (refrigerated) carrier, and then they take it from there. Also, this is why, as chipgreen pointed out, the tracking information appears as it does, since FedEx doesn't exactly know about the wine until it reaches them.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 168 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
ThunderThighs wrote:This blog? Summertime And The Shipping Isn’t Easy (June 2007)

So glad people read previous posts in this thread.

And yes, Better Off Dead was classic.

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

creekhounds

quality posts: 2 Private Messages creekhounds

The extra $3 for expedited shipping has been a great deal for folks in steamy Southeast Georgia -- for whom FedEx holds are not available. But my latest shipment of those lovely R2 Whites is coming via Kansas City -- the usual summer shipping route, rather than Express. (And, yes, I did pay for expedited shipping.) Is this a new routing or a mistake?

Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

creekhounds wrote:The extra $3 for expedited shipping has been a great deal for folks in steamy Southeast Georgia -- for whom FedEx holds are not available. But my latest shipment of those lovely R2 Whites is coming via Kansas City -- the usual summer shipping route, rather than Express. (And, yes, I did pay for expedited shipping.) Is this a new routing or a mistake?

it's likely a warehouse sorting mistake. Apologies. Shoot me a PM and i'll look to make it right.

thanks,

creekhounds

quality posts: 2 Private Messages creekhounds
Winedavid39 wrote:it's likely a warehouse sorting mistake. Apologies. Shoot me a PM and i'll look to make it right.

thanks,

PM sent. Looks like sorting error and Woot making it right. Thanks for keeping on top of these issues.