Winedavid39

quality posts: 293 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

North316 wrote:I think you misintepretted him. It sounds like this was a St. Julian package, so it originated in Michigan and then shipped to CA w/o styro-packaging.

you are correct. I did not see that part. oops. i'll be quiet now..

fogtower

quality posts: 1 Private Messages fogtower

Just spoke to Fedex, they tell me they have no refrigerated trucks and my wine is shipped the same as any other time of the year. Paying the extra $2 on every shipment seems pointless. Who am I subsidizing and do they even get special delivery?

Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

fogtower wrote:Just spoke to Fedex, they tell me they have no refrigerated trucks and my wine is shipped the same as any other time of the year. Paying the extra $2 on every shipment seems pointless. Who am I subsidizing and do they even get special delivery?

Good day.

Since 2007, we've employed a system that connects refrigerated cold trucks (think produce) with strategically located small parcel carrier hubs in the midwest and east coast. The package then enters the carrier system ( generally in the evening) and is out for delivery often the following morning but no more than two days after it leaves the cold truck.

Track record of success firmly intact.

TT, can you link the previous blog posts on the subject?

chipgreen

quality posts: 266 Private Messages chipgreen

I can tell my packages are getting special treatment because of the tracking information. During non-summer shipping, I see my packages originate in CA, usually making at least 1 stop before they end up in OH a few days later. During summer shipping, I don't see the package originating in CA at all. It doesn't track until it hits OH and it's hitting a different city in OH than my non-summer packages.

I've ordered hundreds of bottles from wine.woot and never hesitate to order during the summer. Haven't had a cooked bottle yet.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 878 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Winedavid39 wrote:Good day.

Since 2007, we've employed a system that connects refrigerated cold trucks (think produce) with strategically located small parcel carrier hubs in the midwest and east coast. The package then enters the carrier system ( generally in the evening) and is out for delivery often the following morning but no more than two days after it leaves the cold truck.

Track record of success firmly intact.

TT, can you link the previous blog posts on the subject?

This blog? Summertime And The Shipping Isn’t Easy (June 2007)

except for BOC stuff. Back Tuesday 6/6
*NEW* NEW New Work Schedule: Mon-Wed = Days; Thu-Fri = evening/nights
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

ThunderThighs wrote:This blog? Summertime And The Shipping Isn’t Easy (June 2007)

hah, that's pretty dated but it does the trick. heh, we've been at this awhile..

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 60 Private Messages ddeuddeg
fogtower wrote:Just spoke to Fedex, they tell me they have no refrigerated trucks and my wine is shipped the same as any other time of the year. Paying the extra $2 on every shipment seems pointless. Who am I subsidizing and do they even get special delivery?

What the other posts may not have clarified for you is that the FedEx person you talked was probably correct, as far as that went. What he may not realize is that the wine gets to FedEx via a different (refrigerated) carrier, and then they take it from there. Also, this is why, as chipgreen pointed out, the tracking information appears as it does, since FedEx doesn't exactly know about the wine until it reaches them.

Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge. - Hester Browne
Filmmaker/winemaker Francis Ford Coppola says his two professions are almost the same and that each depends on source material and takes a lot of time to perfect.
The big difference: "Today's winemakers still worry about quality."

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 219 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
ThunderThighs wrote:This blog? Summertime And The Shipping Isn’t Easy (June 2007)

So glad people read previous posts in this thread.

And yes, Better Off Dead was classic.

x19
Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

jackey22

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jackey22

Ahem! Summer shipping ($7 vs. normal $5) has been around since at least 2007. It's not a new policy at all. Normally, instead of the normal cardboard inserts, we get Styrofoam inserts and frozen "ketchup" gel packs as well as the refrigerator truck to a closer, central location.

And more options are always acceptable. Some may choose to use it, and some may not. It's always nice to be able to choose whether you want standard or expedited delivery.

tjg85737

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tjg85737
moondigger wrote:I'm sorry, but I find this attitude just ridiculous. They're charging $7 to ship up to TWELVE bottles of wine with extra precautions designed to protect it from summer heat. That's a fantastic bargain, in my opinion.

OR, two-day shipping for $10. Again, a fantastic bargain.

You do the math and you make your choice. You can get hung up on the idea that $7 is XX percent of the order total and decide not to buy the wine, or you can suck it up and deal with the fact that it costs money to ship bottled liquids across the country, and that $7 is a good deal for the service, even if it's only for two bottles. For a case, it's outstanding.

I agree with whats-his/her-face...having worked at a Napa Valley winery for many years I know the cost of shipping from NV is ridiculously high...these rates are a steal!...the only problem is the wine can be shipped via refrigeration but it can sit in the back of an oven hot UPS/FedEx track for most of the day until it gets to you which could be the end of the delivery day...here in Texas that is NOT a good thing...there are no guarantees

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 878 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Summer shipping is here!

Remember, 2-day shipping is for faster transit. You should still allow 2-3 weeks for your wine to ship. WD's crew works to time the shipments for the first of the week so there's no sitting over the weekend.

except for BOC stuff. Back Tuesday 6/6
*NEW* NEW New Work Schedule: Mon-Wed = Days; Thu-Fri = evening/nights
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

kw9037

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kw9037

The speed of regular shipment is so ridiculous. I have make a order for half month, the order detail still show "shipping now"
When I ask customer support for help, they provide me nothing.

chipgreen

kw9037 wrote:The speed of regular shipment is so ridiculous. I have make a order for half month, the order detail still show "shipping now"
When I ask customer support for help, they provide me nothing.

It takes 2-3 weeks for most wine.woot shipments. It's always been that way. Woot doesn't own the wine, they sell it on behalf of the winery then the winery has to get the wine to them for shipping. That takes a little extra time.

boltond

quality posts: 0 Private Messages boltond

Can someone respond on the current summer shipping policy? I ordered the Scott Harvey Zinfandel last week, paid $10 for two day shipping via Fedex. It was shipped on a Thursday, and arrived on a Monday. I live in the Phoenix Metro area. Not exactly cool here right now. The old policy was no shipping on Thursday or Friday. No cold packs, no styro, just the recycled dividers. Tasting a bottle and it seems okay, but what gives?

chipgreen

boltond wrote:Can someone respond on the current summer shipping policy? I ordered the Scott Harvey Zinfandel last week, paid $10 for two day shipping via Fedex. It was shipped on a Thursday, and arrived on a Monday. I live in the Phoenix Metro area. Not exactly cool here right now. The old policy was no shipping on Thursday or Friday. No cold packs, no styro, just the recycled dividers. Tasting a bottle and it seems okay, but what gives?

2-day shipping is not the same as summer shipping (which is not yet in effect for this year). Notice above that summer shipping didn't start until June of 2014. Also 2-day shipping just means 2 business days from when it's shipped so there is still the initial 1-2 week wait before it ships but then it does go out via Fed Ex 2-day service. Saturday is not considered a "business day" so it makes sense that a shipment sent on Thursday would arrive on Monday. What does not make sense is that they would ship it on Thursday. WCC usually has more efficient scheduling than that.

kaolis

quality posts: 50 Private Messages kaolis

From another source regarding styro:
Although they definitely have short-term thermal insulation benefits over pulp (egg carton), corrugated (Gorilla Shipper) or plastic tray shippers, it's a temporary benefit. Sure, if the wine starts out cool from the point of origin, the polystyrene shipper will keep the bottles cooler for the first few hours, on a warm day, over the other packing materials. However, if the wine is sitting on a truck all day in 87 degree (random temp) weather, eventually the bottles are going to warm up to the ambient temperature. In polystyrene shippers, the bottles will stay warm longer after it cools down at night than if the bottles had been packed in a pulp, corrugated or plastic tray shippers. So, if you receive wine in polystyrene late in the day on a hot day, open that box up quickly and get the bottles into a cooler place.

rjquillin

quality posts: 264 Private Messages rjquillin

Summer shipping already in effect, or just extreme caution by WD?

My IH mystery case arrived in styro.

CT

ddeuddeg

rjquillin wrote:Summer shipping already in effect, or just extreme caution by WD?

Could be selective caution, based on travel route and destination; ours did not come (to Buffalo, NY) in styro. No need for it here yet, as long as it stays north on the way here.

Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge. - Hester Browne
Filmmaker/winemaker Francis Ford Coppola says his two professions are almost the same and that each depends on source material and takes a lot of time to perfect.

tytiger58

quality posts: 79 Private Messages tytiger58
rjquillin wrote:Summer shipping already in effect, or just extreme caution by WD?

Extreme caution/shipping/woot? that gave me a good chuckle!

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

kylemittskus

quality posts: 246 Private Messages kylemittskus
tytiger58 wrote:Extreme caution/shipping/woot? that gave me a good chuckle!

Indeed! Our Spaniards started their journey on a hot Friday. Awesome.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

cortot20

quality posts: 275 Private Messages cortot20

fwiw
My 2 bottles from the last bottle marathon for $17 total, shipping included, showed up in styro yesterday.

CT

ddeuddeg

cortot20 wrote:fwiw
My 2 bottles from the last bottle marathon for $17 total, shipping included, showed up in styro yesterday.

IIRC, they use styro for all their shipments. They'll also hold it all summer, if you request it, and ship it in the fall.

chipgreen

ddeuddeg wrote:Could be selective caution, based on travel route and destination; ours did not come (to Buffalo, NY) in styro. No need for it here yet, as long as it stays north on the way here.

Mine did not come in styro either but it took the Southern route.
CA --> NM --> MO --> OH

merbill

quality posts: 37 Private Messages merbill
cortot20 wrote:fwiw

My 2 came that way too. I got a Mark Herold Flux and a Ruston Cuvee Simone Cab for $39. What did you get?

3X Wine Wooters FFL Champion, Commissioner, and Monkey Prize recipient
RPM Tours #2 & #4 Tourista
Wine Century Club Member #919
Bandolier on Chewie x 22

cortot20

merbill wrote:My 2 came that way too. I got a Mark Herold Flux and a Ruston Cuvee Simone Cab for $39. What did you get?

A blackbird rose for $7 and Bodegas Particular Garnacha for $10.

CT

tytiger58

cortot20 wrote:A blackbird rose for $7 and Bodegas Particular Garnacha for $10.

They were selling mags of that Garnacha earlier in the year for around $25, I picked up a few, it's pretty good stuff.

ltraffis

quality posts: 7 Private Messages ltraffis

Here's a thought...Since Amazon owns Woot why can't Amazon PRIME members get free shipping using their PRIME account??? I though I read several months back that Amazon was increasing many of their shipping costs on the Amazon site so squeezing out additional dollars for Woot shipping options is in line with their corporate policy. I also agree with Chipgreen's earlier comment; I also in all my years of WWing that I too never got a corked or ruined bottle...but then many of them are still in the basement!! LOL

cortot20

ltraffis wrote:Here's a thought...Since Amazon owns Woot why can't Amazon PRIME members get free shipping using their PRIME account??? I though I read several months back that Amazon was increasing many of their shipping costs on the Amazon site so squeezing out additional dollars for Woot shipping options is in line with their corporate policy. I also agree with Chipgreen's earlier comment; I also in all my years of WWing that I too never got a corked or ruined bottle...but then many of them are still in the basement!! LOL

Wine woot includes shipping in the sale price.
My biggest complaint is that AZ payments doesn't accept Their own parent companies gift cards... How f'ing stupid is that!

CT

cortot20

tytiger58 wrote:They were selling mags of that Garnacha earlier in the year for around $25, I picked up a few, it's pretty good stuff.

It's in my short term rack so I'm sure I'll get to it soon.

CT

fredrinaldi

quality posts: 60 Private Messages fredrinaldi

To all my So-Cal Wine wooters, moving to Austin area in a few months, need summer wine shipping containers (styrofoam), any size would help, please PM me,
Thanks

klezman

quality posts: 154 Private Messages klezman
fredrinaldi wrote:To all my So-Cal Wine wooters, moving to Austin area in a few months, need summer wine shipping containers (styrofoam), any size would help, please PM me,
Thanks

Before you go we should have a "Meet Fred, Send Fred Off" gathering!

2016: 43 bottles. Last wine.woot: Wellington Marsanne and Rousanne
2015: 107 bottles, 2014: 57 bottles, 2013: 66, 2012: 91, 2011: 92, 2010: 74, 2009: 30, 2008: 3 My CT

kylemittskus

quality posts: 246 Private Messages kylemittskus
klezman wrote:Before you go we should have a "Meet Fred, Send Fred Off" gathering!

Wooooooooord!!! And we can bring shippers for him.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

cortot20

While it's not a hot weekend here in Southern California it is rather warm to have all the Wellington offers from Monday and Tuesday ship and then sit over the weekend here before getting delivered on Tuesday. I'm not sure if they get unloaded and sit in the warehouse or if they get loaded and sit in the delivery truck until Tuesday but it's risky. When you do this it just reinforces the stand some have taken to not buy from you in May-September...

CT

tytiger58

cortot20 wrote:While it's not a hot weekend here in Southern California it is rather warm to have all the Wellington offers from Monday and Tuesday ship and then sit over the weekend here before getting delivered on Tuesday. I'm not sure if they get unloaded and sit in the warehouse or if they get loaded and sit in the delivery truck until Tuesday but it's risky. When you do this it just reinforces the stand some have taken to not buy from you in May-September...

I can tell you they do not unload the trucks.

cortot20

tytiger58 wrote:I can tell you they do not unload the trucks.

I didn't order anything but sparkys nephew jeff had three Wellington orders all get loaded in a truck yesterday for delivery on Tuesday. He was not pleased.

CT

tytiger58

cortot20 wrote:I didn't order anything but sparkys nephew jeff had three Wellington orders all get loaded in a truck yesterday for delivery on Tuesday. He was not pleased.

Same thing happened to my Spaniards. Hope his truck finds some shade!

klezman

quality posts: 154 Private Messages klezman
cortot20 wrote:While it's not a hot weekend here in Southern California it is rather warm to have all the Wellington offers from Monday and Tuesday ship and then sit over the weekend here before getting delivered on Tuesday. I'm not sure if they get unloaded and sit in the warehouse or if they get loaded and sit in the delivery truck until Tuesday but it's risky. When you do this it just reinforces the stand some have taken to not buy from you in May-September...

Yeah, not so sure I want the Wellingtons sitting there over the long weekend. I wonder from time to time why CA/NV orders don't go via GSO. They've got climate controlled warehouses for wine.

2016: 43 bottles. Last wine.woot: Wellington Marsanne and Rousanne
2015: 107 bottles, 2014: 57 bottles, 2013: 66, 2012: 91, 2011: 92, 2010: 74, 2009: 30, 2008: 3 My CT

tytiger58

klezman wrote:Yeah, not so sure I want the Wellingtons sitting there over the long weekend. I wonder from time to time why CA/NV orders don't go via GSO. They've got climate controlled warehouses for wine.

Or just don't ship on Friday!

Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

tytiger58 wrote:Or just don't ship on Friday!

Reading this through. i'll take a look at this with my ops guy. we are in timed shipping and do focus reducing package exposure.

honestly, we have really good results, Southern California included.

But it does make sense to take a look at Friday departures as we enter the warmer season in socal.

thanks for the feedback.

WD

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 219 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
Winedavid39 wrote:Reading this through. i'll take a look at this with my ops guy. we are in timed shipping and do focus reducing package exposure.

honestly, we have really good results, Southern California included.

But it does make sense to take a look at Friday departures as we enter the warmer season in socal.

thanks for the feedback.

WD

I have been noticing a lot more Thursday / Friday shipments lately than there used to be.

Up until the last one or two months, it seemed like SoCal shipping went out Mon-Wed only, so we'd get it by Friday. Maybe a new shipping clerk?

Edit: And son of a .... my Wellington PV/PS orders will also be sitting over the weekend!

Ship date: Thu 5/26/2016
Sonoma, CA US
Scheduled delivery: Tue 5/31/2016 by end of day

WD, you got some 'splaining to do!

Edit2:

To sum up: I noticed this first when my IH Mystery shipped at the very end of April. Haven't had time to get down to my Wine locker to check them (for obvious reasons). Forgot about it til cortot's post.

So, out of the last six shipments, 3 have been shipped on a Thursday or Friday (IH Mystery, Dashe PS, & Wellington PV/PS).

And the latter 2 will be sitting over a holiday weekend!

x19
Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.