WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Summertime is a great season for everything except ice skating, building snowmen, and shipping wine. But not here at Wine.Woot. Once again, to keep your wine from boiling over on its way to you, we're implementing our tried and true summer shipping policy. UNlike in years past, we're offering a two-day shipping option for those of you who'd rather pay a little more to get your wine a little sooner. The deets:

• $8 standard summer shipping per order: We're adding a few bucks on to the usual $5 shipping charge, and adding some time into the process. Shipping orders to most of the country in protective refrigerated trucks isn't easy or cheap, or fast for that matter, but it'll be worth it to keep your wine from turning into soup.
  • $10 "two-day" shipping per item: If your time is more valuable than your money, you can pay $10 per item for two-day shipping. By "two-day", we mean two days transit from when your order is shipped, which could generally take up to five days from when you place the order. For instance, we won't ship two-day orders on Thursdays or Fridays. Weekends sitting in a carrier warehouse is just no fun for a wine package. The gist of it is: you should get your "two-day" order within a week from when you place it.

We're confident these measures will win the battle against the forces of heat and spoilage. Order like it's October, y'all! Let us know if you have questions or comments in the forum discussion below.

2014 Update: Shipping is now $8. A dollar more for summer TLC.

mbuffy

quality posts: 3 Private Messages mbuffy

Or, you could be consumers friendly and NOT charge more, realizing that wine-savvy customers are afraid to buy in the summer, so the way to keep your sales up is to offer fast/refrigerated shipping WITHOUT charging a premium for it OR to offer 'hold til fall' service.

I'll stick with LB's free refrigerated shipping/hold to Fall options and WTSO's cheap 2-day shipping.

Unfortunately, like the woot-off we-now-charge-shipping-on-multiple-wine-purchases-in-a-day policy, this is another woot move destined to drive off customers.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 230 Private Messages kylemittskus
mbuffy wrote:realizing that wine-savvy customers are afraid to buy in the summer, so the way to keep your sales up is to offer fast/refrigerated shipping WITHOUT charging a premium for it

Shipping orders to most of the country in protective refrigerated trucks isn't easy or cheap, or fast for that matter, but it'll be worth it to keep your wine from turning into soup.

For 99% of us here, $2 is far from a premium. Rather, it's a cheap option to insure that our wine is safe and that we can enjoy it during summer BBQs and by the pool.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

mbuffy

quality posts: 3 Private Messages mbuffy
kylemittskus wrote:For 99% of us here, $2 is far from a premium. Rather, it's a cheap option to insure that our wine is safe and that we can enjoy it during summer BBQs and by the pool.

It is more about the principle of things. wine.woot is starting to nickle and dime us. I'd rather buy another 3-pack of Mr. K at over $300 from LB and get free shipping/shipping hold than to buy a $40 3-pack of wine here and get charged a bit over 10% for regular shipping ($5) plus another 5% on top of it as a privilege for buying during the summer months.

pseudogourmet98

quality posts: 17 Private Messages pseudogourmet98
kylemittskus wrote:For 99% of us here, $2 is far from a premium. Rather, it's a cheap option to insure that our wine is safe and that we can enjoy it during summer BBQs and by the pool.

+1
Delayed gratification is highly over-rated. Not to mention what trouble I would be in in the fall when all those boxes arrived.

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 181 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
mbuffy wrote:It is more about the principle of things. wine.woot is starting to nickle and dime us. I'd rather buy another 3-pack of Mr. K at over $300 from LB and get free shipping/shipping hold than to buy a $40 3-pack of wine here and get charged a bit over 10% for regular shipping ($5) plus another 5% on top of it as a privilege for buying during the summer months.

Ahem! Summer shipping ($7 vs. normal $5) has been around since at least 2007. It's not a new policy at all. Normally, instead of the normal cardboard inserts, we get Styrofoam inserts and frozen "ketchup" gel packs as well as the refrigerator truck to a closer, central location.

And more options are always acceptable. Some may choose to use it, and some may not. It's always nice to be able to choose whether you want standard or expedited delivery.

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

kylemittskus

mbuffy wrote:It is more about the principle of things. wine.woot is starting to nickle and dime us. I'd rather buy another 3-pack of Mr. K at over $300 from LB and get free shipping/shipping hold than to buy a $40 3-pack of wine here and get charged a bit over 10% for regular shipping ($5) plus another 5% on top of it as a privilege for buying during the summer months.

I wish I'd bought that 3-pack.

Aside my regret, two others have already corrected your "starting to..." statement. You're not paying for a "privilege"; you're paying for protection (something WTSO, that you mentioned, doesn't give you). Aside from LB (minimum bottle required, otherwise shipping is $10) and WTSO (explained above), every single other wine site charges way more than $7 to ship up to 12 bottles of wine, let alone shipping the wine via refrigerated truck.

Don't buy from wine.woot for the next 3 or so months, but don't grand stand on "principle."

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee

Item in this case refers to order right? Not per bottle right? Cause I'd imagine item refers to the entire order, but thought I should ask. Literalist and all.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

moondigger

quality posts: 11 Private Messages moondigger
mbuffy wrote:Or, you could be consumers friendly and NOT charge more, realizing that wine-savvy customers are afraid to buy in the summer, so the way to keep your sales up is to offer fast/refrigerated shipping WITHOUT charging a premium for it OR to offer 'hold til fall' service.

I'll stick with LB's free refrigerated shipping/hold to Fall options and WTSO's cheap 2-day shipping.

Unfortunately, like the woot-off we-now-charge-shipping-on-multiple-wine-purchases-in-a-day policy, this is another woot move destined to drive off customers.

I'm sorry, but I find this attitude just ridiculous. They're charging $7 to ship up to TWELVE bottles of wine with extra precautions designed to protect it from summer heat. That's a fantastic bargain, in my opinion.

OR, two-day shipping for $10. Again, a fantastic bargain.

You do the math and you make your choice. You can get hung up on the idea that $7 is XX percent of the order total and decide not to buy the wine, or you can suck it up and deal with the fact that it costs money to ship bottled liquids across the country, and that $7 is a good deal for the service, even if it's only for two bottles. For a case, it's outstanding.

loveladyelectric

quality posts: 23 Private Messages loveladyelectric

Is the 2-day shipping also refrigerated?

MarkDaSpark

loveladyelectric wrote:Is the 2-day shipping also refrigerated?

Probably not, but there needs to be clarification if there is foam packing and/or the frozen "ketchup" packs used.

Edit: Just received the Vino Noceto Sangio order, and it was in foam, but no ketchup packs. But it only took 2 days to get to SoCal.

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark

bhodilee wrote:Item in this case refers to order right? Not per bottle right? Cause I'd imagine item refers to the entire order, but thought I should ask. Literalist and all.

Dude! Have you been at the Saké again?

Edit: Sorry, but I missed the "per item" and thought it meant "per order". See post below. Mea culpa!

North316 wrote:Actually...IIRC last summer was not $7 shipping because the $5 all you-can-ship was in place. We got lucky last summer.

Ack! Forgot about that.

pseudogourmet98

quality posts: 17 Private Messages pseudogourmet98

Since "Summer" shipping just started (mid-June) I assume it will end around Labor Day (?). For some of us, "Summer" started about 2 months ago and will not end until sometime in October. Is there a possibility of having either of these options available during the "fringe" months as well? (April-May, Sept-Oct) I would have happily paid the up-charge on several of my recent orders if it had been available.

chipgreen

quality posts: 187 Private Messages chipgreen
North316 wrote:Actually...IIRC last summer was not $7 shipping because the $5 all you-can-ship was in place. We got lucky last summer.

Yes, we did. Although there were some deals that went up a few dollars last summer (compared to previous offers) to compensate and no telling if it was worked into other deals we hadn't seen before.

I don't have a problem with paying $7 for summer shipping precautions, especially being in Ohio, so far away from the point of origin. However, mbuffy also has a point about the nickel & diming.

WD has nothing to do with the Amazon-mandated shopping cart so I won't even go there, BUT....

When the sales tax was broken out as a separate item, the deals were supposedly discounted by the corresponding amount to negate the sales tax. The first wave of deals we saw like that were discounted by $5, then they started getting discounted by $3-$4, then not at all.

Now we have a deal like the Twisted Oak offering today. It's $5 more than the deal from last year, PLUS the extra sales tax ($4.35 to Ohio) PLUS the extra $2 for summer shipping = $11.35 or nearly $4/bottle more than last year for basically the same wines (one bottle is different - we are getting a PS instead of the Graciano). That's enough to make me stick my itchy trigger finger back in my pocket.

MarkDaSpark

bhodilee wrote:Item in this case refers to order right? Not per bottle right? Cause I'd imagine item refers to the entire order, but thought I should ask. Literalist and all.

Update info ... per set in the order. So for each set you order (each set may have 2, 3, or 12 bottles, whatever the offer is), it will be $10 for each set for 2 day shipping.

2 sets = $20, 3 sets = $30.

Cross-Post from current main Wine thread:

MaureenV wrote:I want to purchase 3 of these with two day shipping. When I click of the 2 day, it shows a shipping charge of $30. Is this correct or should it be $10?

The thread shows it "per item", so for each set, it would be $10. Two sets would be $20, and so on.

Which would make sense if it was a full case, but not sure if it's worth it for a 3 bottle set.

Edit: But then again, depending on where (and how heavy) you are shipping, 2-day shipping can go over $60.

MarkDaSpark

chipgreen wrote:Yes, we did. Although there were some deals that went up a few dollars last summer (compared to previous offers) to compensate and no telling if it was worked into other deals we hadn't seen before.

I don't have a problem with paying $7 for summer shipping precautions, especially being in Ohio, so far away from the point of origin. However, mbuffy also has a point about the nickel & diming.

WD has nothing to do with the Amazon-mandated shopping cart so I won't even go there, BUT....

When the sales tax was broken out as a separate item, the deals were supposedly discounted by the corresponding amount to negate the sales tax. The first wave of deals we saw like that were discounted by $5, then they started getting discounted by $3-$4, then not at all.

Now we have a deal like the Twisted Oak offering today. It's $5 more than the deal from last year, PLUS the extra sales tax ($4.35 to Ohio) PLUS the extra $2 for summer shipping = $11.35 or nearly $4/bottle more than last year for basically the same wines (one bottle is different - we are getting a PS instead of the Graciano). That's enough to make me stick my itchy trigger finger back in my pocket.

Except that last year's deal was in January, not June when we need Summer Shipping.

Do you really think that the extra $2 covers Summer Shipping? Of course this set is going to be more!

chipgreen

quality posts: 187 Private Messages chipgreen
MarkDaSpark wrote:Except that last year's deal was in January, not June when we need Summer Shipping.

Do you really think that the extra $2 covers Summer Shipping? Of course this set is going to be more!

We established that there was no summer shipping charge last year so it doesn't really matter which month, but I already said I didn't have a problem with the $2. At least not until you combine it with the $5 higher price and $4.35 sales tax. My gripe is that the sales tax is no longer being backed out of the offer price. It doesn't really matter how it all adds up, but what it all adds up TO, which in this case is $11.35 more than last time, not $2.

joed10303

quality posts: 0 Private Messages joed10303
kylemittskus wrote:I wish I'd bought that 3-pack.

Aside my regret, two others have already corrected your "starting to..." statement. You're not paying for a "privilege"; you're paying for protection (something WTSO, that you mentioned, doesn't give you). Aside from LB (minimum bottle required, otherwise shipping is $10) and WTSO (explained above), every single other wine site charges way more than $7 to ship up to 12 bottles of wine, let alone shipping the wine via refrigerated truck.

Don't buy from wine.woot for the next 3 or so months, but don't grand stand on "principle."

Every other site doen't charge more to ship.
current shipping rates : Cindy free ship on 12, Last Bottle free ship on 4+ ,Last Call free ship on 4+ ,Lets Pour free ship on 6+ ,Wineheist free ship on 6+ , WTSO free ship on 1 ,Wire for Wine free ship code dcfather, Wineshopper free ship on over $99

MarkDaSpark

joed10303 wrote:Every other site doen't charge more to ship.
current shipping rates : Cindy free ship on 12, Last Bottle free ship on 4+ ,Last Call free ship on 4+ ,Lets Pour free ship on 6+ ,Wineheist free ship on 6+ , WTSO free ship on 1 ,Wire for Wine free ship code dcfather, Wineshopper free ship on over $99

But are those "free ships" for 2-day or normal shipping? Seems like they are normal (last time I checked on those), and you are comparing oranges to apples.

joed10303

MarkDaSpark wrote:But are those "free ships" for 2-day or normal shipping? Seems like they are normal (last time I checked on those), and you are comparing oranges to apples.

No im not, you said " every single other wine site charges way more than $7 to ship up to 12 bottles of wine" so its apples to apples. Maybe you meant to say it differently but i replied to what you said. Personally i buy wine when I feel the total price is a value to ME.

kylemittskus

joed10303 wrote:No im not, you said " every single other wine site charges way more than $7 to ship up to 12 bottles of wine" so its apples to apples. Maybe you meant to say it differently but i replied to what you said. Personally i buy wine when I feel the total price is a value to ME.

That's the best way to buy. People get hung up on shipping, though. $2 added to the total order adds 50 cents per bottle most of the time. Even if it adds a dollar/bottle, though, that shouldn't make the deal a "no buy."

noslensj

quality posts: 42 Private Messages noslensj
joed10303 wrote:Every other site doen't charge more to ship.

So with the other sites it's built into the selling price instead of being a separate line item.

Note that for those sites there is a minimum purchase to get the free shipping - and with at least two of those sites (WTSO and LB) the minimum purchase changes with the base price - the lower the per bottle price the more you have to buy to get free shipping.

I also do not have WTSO ship to me in the summer time; I have also received my last shipments from them until mid-October. That's because their "free shipping" puts stuff on non-refrigerated trucks traveling through the teeth of summer heat to reach me on the West Coast. So for anything I buy now they get my money months before I receive the product. That doesn't mean I don't buy, but it certainly makes wine.woot shipping more attractive.

As you also note, in the end it comes down to how much are you paying, shipping included, for the juice, while also factoring in the extent of your concerns about the protection for that particular shipment. That's really where the comparisons are made.

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg
joed10303 wrote:Personally i buy wine when I feel the total price is a value to ME.

As others have said, that seems like a good way to make comparisons.
However, in the shipping charges you listed in your earlier post, you listed "current shipping rates" for WTSO as "free shipping on 1." That's a bit disingenuous, inasmuch as that rate was for a $75 bottle. Typically, it's necessary to buy more from them to get "free shipping."
Truth be told, all of the sites, including w.w, build at least part of the shipping cost into the price they charge, which is why I agree with your statement quoted above. Cheers.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

MarkDaSpark

joed10303 wrote:No im not, you said " every single other wine site charges way more than $7 to ship up to 12 bottles of wine" so its apples to apples. Maybe you meant to say it differently but i replied to what you said. Personally i buy wine when I feel the total price is a value to ME.

Actually, no I didn't say that. Kyle was the one who said that. I said you were comparing Apples (free shipping when you buy enough, but it's not protected) to Oranges ($7 shipping, but it goes refrigerator truck to a regional center, where then it's transferred to local delivery for approx. 2-day delivery)

And it IS Apples to Oranges on the TIME and CONDITION it takes to get the wine. All the sites you listed, the "free" shipping isn't refrigerated on the way, nor are they in styrofoam. I got some wine from one site, and it was ruined because they didn't ship it properly. Yes, it was free shipping, but that didn't help.

If I get wine that is undrinkable, how is the "free" shipping any good?

But as D-Dog noted, you are correct in that all that matters is the value to you (or me, or Kyle).

joed10303

kylemittskus wrote:That's the best way to buy. People get hung up on shipping, though. $2 added to the total order adds 50 cents per bottle most of the time. Even if it adds a dollar/bottle, though, that shouldn't make the deal a "no buy."

Like i said you have to feel the total price is a value to you, i purchased the BV ramal pinot for $10 a bottle (thanks to cesare) but shipping and tax was another $6.70 a bottle. I wasn't happy paying that much on shipping and tax but i was thrilled to get the ramal for under $17.

sdbcmr

quality posts: 16 Private Messages sdbcmr

Wine shipping - and particularly any comment that expresses dissatisfaction with how it's handled at woot - really bothers some people hereabouts.

Personally, though I find myself ordering less and less wine from Woot (and other things, too, now that I think of it) I am glad to see a more explicit, more detailed treatment of wine shipping policies, costs, etc.

The usual "don't worry, we've got it" seems to have given way to more transparency and some recognition that there were some problems before.

To me, that's progress.

kylemittskus

sdbcmr wrote:Wine shipping - and particularly any comment that expresses dissatisfaction with how it's handled at woot - really bothers some people hereabouts.

Personally, though I find myself ordering less and less wine from Woot (and other things, too, now that I think of it) I am glad to see a more explicit, more detailed treatment of wine shipping policies, costs, etc.

The usual "don't worry, we've got it" seems to have given way to more transparency and some recognition that there were some problems before.

To me, that's progress.

This is the same exact thing that has happened every single year since at least 2007. There is no more transparency than was back then or last year or the year before. All of your asking, and everyone else doing the same, has changed nothing. And there weren't problems before -- at least no more than there are with any company who ships delicate things. When those problems arose, they were immediately taken care of for every single person who took the proper steps to get them taken care of.

And questions about wine shipping don't bother anyone. People saying "That's it; I'm outta here because I'm not getting the answers I want" is what bothers people. And it's even more annoying when the person who claimed to be leaving returns the next week and asks the same questions, gets the same answers, and makes the same statement. Rinse. Repeat.

trifecta

quality posts: 72 Private Messages trifecta
MarkDaSpark wrote:
All the sites you listed, the "free" shipping isn't refrigerated on the way, nor are they in styrofoam.

As far as I know Last Bottles always ships styro (even if its winter which kinda sucks actually).

I have no complaints on shipping price. Its broken out here instead of hidden. I also really like the convenience of FedEx that I don't get through the other sites like GSO and UPS.

klezman

quality posts: 122 Private Messages klezman
trifecta wrote:As far as I know Last Bottles always ships styro (even if its winter which kinda sucks actually).

I have no complaints on shipping price. Its broken out here instead of hidden. I also really like the convenience of FedEx that I don't get through the other sites like GSO and UPS.

Shipping price is hidden on all these sites. Unless you think $5 or $7 covers shipping costs to anywhere (I know you don't think so). Having talked to WD about it enough times, it's simply the way the math works. The $5 increment gets the math to work out, and the average shipping costs work out in everybody's favour. Although I do wonder what happens if a wine gets sold 10x more on the east coast than normal. Does WD get less profit or does less go to the winery?

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

noslensj

quality posts: 42 Private Messages noslensj
fredrinaldi wrote:lol
you have listed many reasons why I'm looking to leave the state when I retire.

I left the state 20 years ago when the opportunity presented itself, for those same reasons. And in the 20 years since I left it has gotten even worse. My kids long dreamed of going back, and most of them did at some point after they became adults. But as adults they now see the lunacy and understand. Two left, and with the third it's just a matter of time - until her husband gets a new posting.

donrubin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages donrubin

Not happy with the new summer shipping policy. I sprang for the $10 shipping on a recent order and when it didnt arrive after 5 days I emailed support. The response said that it doesn't mean the wine ships in 2 days, it simply means they dont ship on Thurs or Friday. Why to I have to pay extra for that, why dont they ship all wine Mon-Wed? Also the (apparantly incorrect) FAQ states (see what I bolded below):

$10 "two-day" shipping per item: if your time is more valuable than your money, you can pay $10 per item for two-day shipping. By "two-day", we mean two days transit from when your order is shipped, which could generally take up to five days from when you place the order. For instance, we won't ship two-day orders on Thursdays or Fridays. Weekends sitting in a carrier warehouse is just no fun for a wine package. The gist of it is: you should get your "two-day" order within a week from when you place it.

klezman

I read the FAQ quote as "you will get your wine via two day shipping methods, an expect it to arrive no later than the end of the business week after you order.

2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

mother

quality posts: 15 Private Messages mother

What an FAQ or thread say is highly irrelevant when it conflicts with what the ordering page says.

You need to change the language on that page clear about what is being offered and paid for. At the very least change it to "Two Day(4-7 business days total)" or some such.

(Or even better, have it give you a delivery date which is calculated based on lead time, position of the weekend, and shipping speed)

klezman

^^^ Good idea

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 565 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

I'm passing on your feedback to see what we can do to clear up the confusion we caused.

The best way to think about it is that it's a 2-day delivery method for summer shipping. We still have limits on when the wine can be shipped so it keeps moving and isn't sitting on trucks longer than necessary.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

fogtower

quality posts: 1 Private Messages fogtower

All my summer shipments come the same as normal even with the summer shipping option. They are in normal trucks and the Fedex guy says there are no "refrigerated" trucks". What exactly am I paying extra for when my wine is arriving worm or hot like today?

kylemittskus

fogtower wrote:All my summer shipments come the same as normal even with the summer shipping option. They are in normal trucks and the Fedex guy says there are no "refrigerated" trucks". What exactly am I paying extra for when my wine is arriving worm or hot like today?

Where are you? Generally, the fridge trucks take the wine from CA to your hub and from there, normal trucks.

fogtower

quality posts: 1 Private Messages fogtower
fogtower wrote:All my summer shipments come the same as normal even with the summer shipping option. They are in normal trucks and the Fedex guy says there are no "refrigerated" trucks". What exactly am I paying extra for when my wine is arriving worm or hot like today?

CA, and the CA wine is in styrofoam and the stuff from Michigan was in cardboard and warm off the truck.

Winedavid39

quality posts: 200 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

fogtower wrote:CA, and the CA wine is in styrofoam and the stuff from Michigan was in cardboard and warm off the truck.

Our feeder hub (for lack of a better term) is in Ohio for Michigan packages. So carrier tranit should have been one day.

but the best laid plans don't always pencil out and there may have been a delay within the FedEx system. if you see protruding corks or leakage, for sure contact support@woot.com with our apologies.

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
Winedavid39 wrote:Our feeder hub (for lack of a better term) is in Ohio for Michigan packages. So carrier tranit should have been one day.

but the best laid plans don't always pencil out and there may have been a delay within the FedEx system. if you see protruding corks or leakage, for sure contact support@woot.com with our apologies.

I think you misintepretted him. It sounds like this was a St. Julian package, so it originated in Michigan and then shipped to CA w/o styro-packaging.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013