WootBot


quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

All Roads Lead to Pinot

Four Pinot Noirs enter. Four Pinot Noirs leave - with you, that is, if you have any sense. Burgundy's favorite son shows off in all its multifaceted glory in this selection of Wine.Woot favorites. It's impossible to choose just one. Fortunately, you don't have to.




Cesare


quality posts: 1598 Private Messages Cesare

All Roads Lead to Pinot

James Family Cellars Sonoma Coast Pinot Noir 3-Pack
$69.99 $̶1̶1̶8̶.̶0̶0̶ 41% off List Price
2008 Stony Point Vineyard Pinot Noir, Sonoma Coast

Macrae Family Winery Russian River Pinot Noir 4-Pack
$59.99 $̶1̶5̶3̶.̶0̶0̶ 61% off List Price
2007 Macrae Family Winery Russian River Valley Pinot Noir, Bacigalupi Vineyard

Winter's Hill 2009 Willamette Valley Pinot Noir 6-Pack
$79.99 $̶1̶4̶3̶.̶0̶0̶ 44% off List Price
2009 Winter's Hill Pinot Noir, Willamette Valley

De Tierra Vineyards 2008 Monterey Pinot Noir 4-Pack
$63.99 $̶1̶1̶3̶.̶0̶0̶ 43% off List Price
2008 Pinot Noir, Monterey

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

jamesfamilycellars


quality posts: 7 Private Messages jamesfamilycellars

Hi Wooters! We received some great comments on our wine the last time you guys got your hands on it, so we're glad to be back "by popular demand"... we feel so popular!

mrlbem


quality posts: 4 Private Messages mrlbem

Just purchased both the James Family and Macrae offers and was surprised to be charged shipping on both. Doesn't one purchase lock in free shipping for additional purchases for the day? Or was that a limited time promotion that has since expired?

North316


quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
mrlbem wrote:Just purchased both the James Family and Macrae offers and was surprised to be charged shipping on both. Doesn't one purchase lock in free shipping for additional purchases for the day? Or was that a limited time promotion that has since expired?



That was limited. You can still add several items to your cart, and check out all at once for a total of $5 shipping on that order, but just because you add something to your cart, does not mean it won't sellout.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

mrlbem


quality posts: 4 Private Messages mrlbem
North316 wrote:That was limited. You can still add several items to your cart, and check out all at once for a total of $5 shipping on that order, but just because you add something to your cart, does not mean it won't sellout.



So because I purchased the wines as two separate offers instead of combining them as one order, I cost myself an extra $7? Terrific.

lurcher


quality posts: 8 Private Messages lurcher
mrlbem wrote:So because I purchased the wines as two separate offers instead of combining them as one order, I cost myself an extra $7? Terrific.



Welcome to the new Woot.

Enough of Amazon to start messing things up, but not enough to integrate "prime" shipping....

xibbumbero


quality posts: 5 Private Messages xibbumbero
mrlbem wrote:So because I purchased the wines as two separate offers instead of combining them as one order, I cost myself an extra $7? Terrific.



I wonder if they'll ship all as one order?

North316


quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
xibbumbero wrote:I wonder if they'll ship all as one order?



Other woot items will generally ship together if they are coming from the same fullfilment center. Wine orders will not ship together unless they are coming from the same winery, and even then may not be shipped together. Wine is packed and shipped from the winery, not from woot.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

cortot20


quality posts: 137 Private Messages cortot20

Why is shipping on the winewoot plus offers $7 but today's main wine woot offer $10?

CT

North316


quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
cortot20 wrote:Why is shipping on the winewoot plus offers $7 but today's main wine woot offer $10?



Answered in the thread, but the $10 is for 2-day shipping. Summer shipping option is $7

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

coynedj


quality posts: 7 Private Messages coynedj

If any of the Minnesota crew are interested in a split, just let me know.

Yes, yes, SIWBM. But I'm actually low on Pinots!

I started out on Burgundy but soon hit the harder stuff. Bob Dylan, Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues

How on earth did I get 7 QPs?

johnt007871


quality posts: 8 Private Messages johnt007871

How is the winter hill? We are normally Mirassou drinkers but like to be adventurous via woot.

greyday


quality posts: 52 Private Messages greyday
johnt007871 wrote:How is the winter hill? We are normally Mirassou drinkers but like to be adventurous via woot.



If you like oregon pinots, it's one of the best qpr deals on this thing! Amazingly good daily drinker.

noslensj


quality posts: 42 Private Messages noslensj
johnt007871 wrote:How is the winter hill? We are normally Mirassou drinkers but like to be adventurous via woot.



previous offer

rpm


quality posts: 170 Private Messages rpm
johnt007871 wrote:How is the winter hill? We are normally Mirassou drinkers but like to be adventurous via woot.



I think it's a considerably better wine than the Mirassou.

I have purchased twice in the past and purchase another dozen more through this offer. This is an excellent QPR Pinot for regular daily drinking.

It's not super complex, but it has nice bright red fruit aromas and flavor, good acidity and a nice finish. Good food wine, good sipper.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

rjquillin


quality posts: 171 Private Messages rjquillin
rpm wrote:I think it's a considerably better wine than the Mirassou.

I have purchased twice in the past and purchase another dozen more through this offer. This is an excellent QPR Pinot for regular daily drinking.

It's not super complex, but it has nice bright red fruit aromas and flavor, good acidity and a nice finish. Good food wine, good sipper.

Any thoughts as to how long this will cellar when properly stored?

CT

noslensj


quality posts: 42 Private Messages noslensj
johnt007871 wrote:How is the winter hill? We are normally Mirassou drinkers but like to be adventurous via woot.



I've not had Mirassou PN, but I have had some other Mirassou varietals. I had the Winter Hill PN from a previous offering.

I think I can reasonably say that Mirassou and Winter Hill are targeting different market segments. Mirassou is a Gallo brand, and is generally targeted above their mass market wines. The Mirassou wines that I have had fit that mold; they are very easy drinkers, generous on the oak, with a very soft and smooth mouthfeel, and some residual sugar. They would be an easy choice for me to bring to a neighborhood barbecue, as most people will find them very palatable and enjoyable. I normally find them drinkable for the first glass, then they lose their appeal and I move to other offerings.

Winter Hill fits into a different market, and matches my drinking style more closely. Winter HIll is not a mass market wine in the same way that Mirassou is, though it is certainly not a cult wine.

As for what to advise you - if you really enjoy Mirassou wines and those are in the center of your wheelhouse, I suspect you may not find added value in Winter HIll. If there are times, however, when you find the Mirassou a bit boring, or cloying, or overbearing, then Winter Hill might be a nice choice for you. Certainly that was the path that I followed in my "career"; I started out with Charles Shaw, and after starting to get some palatte, found it a bit boring and tried some other wines. Then when those started getting boring I tried others. Then I i discovered wine.woot and the rest is history.

HTH.

rpm


quality posts: 170 Private Messages rpm
rjquillin wrote:Any thoughts as to how long this will cellar when properly stored?



It's not entirely clear to me: the cork is artificial, so that rules out extended aging, IMHO. The structure is pretty good, but not exceptional. I'm planning to drink it over the next 2-3 years, unless SWMBO goes through it sooner. I think it will continue to improve over that time - 7 is about the optimum for good Pinot, though (of course) really serious Pinot can go decades. I'm not even thinking about my 2005 Buena Vista Ramal for another 4-5 years.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

kylecountryman


quality posts: 1 Private Messages kylecountryman

Can anyone confirm that the Winter's Hill will ship to Ohio? Last time it was offered it said yes, then my order was cancelled.

It says that it can ship to Ohio again, but I'm a bit skeptical about having a second order cancelled.

ThunderThighs


quality posts: 563 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

kylecountryman wrote:Can anyone confirm that the Winter's Hill will ship to Ohio? Last time it was offered it said yes, then my order was cancelled.

It says that it can ship to Ohio again, but I'm a bit skeptical about having a second order cancelled.

Let me ping WD and see what he says.



FORUM MODERATOR.............ON VACATION!
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

losthighwayz


quality posts: 59 Private Messages losthighwayz

Anyone tried the macrae or detierra? Low on PN and looking for easy drinking CA pinots that have no RS nor cloying . I've enjoyed the So Be It PN and Swami previously offered. Thanks

"The older I get the better I was"

Winedavid39


quality posts: 200 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

kylecountryman wrote:Can anyone confirm that the Winter's Hill will ship to Ohio? Last time it was offered it said yes, then my order was cancelled.

It says that it can ship to Ohio again, but I'm a bit skeptical about having a second order cancelled.



Hello, Sorry for the delay. i answered this in the morning, but apparently it did not stick.

* Ohio is good to go here *

coolchris160


quality posts: 47 Private Messages coolchris160
coynedj wrote:If any of the Minnesota crew are interested in a split, just let me know.

Yes, yes, SIWBM. But I'm actually low on Pinots!


Sent you a PM :-)

kylecountryman


quality posts: 1 Private Messages kylecountryman
Winedavid39 wrote:Hello, Sorry for the delay. i answered this in the morning, but apparently it did not stick.

* Ohio is good to go here *




Thanks for the info! I'm in on this.

klezman


quality posts: 122 Private Messages klezman
losthighwayz wrote:Anyone tried the macrae or detierra? Low on PN and looking for easy drinking CA pinots that have no RS nor cloying . I've enjoyed the So Be It PN and Swami previously offered. Thanks



I sampled a bottle of the Macrae a few weeks ago - go back and read the full offering discussion would be my suggestion. My Coles Notes version: bigger, fuller, more oaky style of Pinot. Excellent for those whose preferences it matches.

I've not tried the Swami or SoBeIt, so no comparison points there unfortunately. Unless it was the SoBeIt I tried at Tim's lasdt month - in which case it wasn't my style but don't remember a whole lot else.

Agreed with rpm on the Winters Hill - great value and I'd stock up if I had any reason to toss out the SIWBM.

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

coynedj


quality posts: 7 Private Messages coynedj
coolchris160 wrote:Sent you a PM :-)



Answered!

I started out on Burgundy but soon hit the harder stuff. Bob Dylan, Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues

How on earth did I get 7 QPs?

wintershillvineyard


quality posts: 4 Private Messages wintershillvineyard
greyday wrote:If you like oregon pinots, it's one of the best qpr deals on this thing! Amazingly good daily drinker.



Thanks, I'm glad you are enjoying our wines.

wintershillvineyard


quality posts: 4 Private Messages wintershillvineyard
Winedavid39 wrote:Hello, Sorry for the delay. i answered this in the morning, but apparently it did not stick.

* Ohio is good to go here *



Thanks!

rjquillin


quality posts: 171 Private Messages rjquillin
klezman wrote:I sampled a bottle of the Macrae a few weeks ago - go back and read the full offering discussion would be my suggestion. My Coles Notes version: bigger, fuller, more oaky style of Pinot. Excellent for those whose preferences it matches.

I've not tried the Swami or SoBeIt, so no comparison points there unfortunately. Unless it was the SoBeIt I tried at Tim's lasdt month - in which case it wasn't my style but don't remember a whole lot else.

Agreed with rpm on the Winters Hill - great value and I'd stock up if I had any reason to toss out the SIWBM.

Yes, you had this SoBeIt at Tim's.
Agree, read the Macrae notes.
Picked up additional Winter's Hill, based in part upon rpm's comment, but I found the SoBeIt a decent bottle as well, but it takes a bit of air to show properly. Wondering if that could have been an issue for you at Tom's?

CT

wintershillvineyard


quality posts: 4 Private Messages wintershillvineyard
rjquillin wrote:Any thoughts as to how long this will cellar when properly stored?



I think this wine will age well for another four to six years. this planned is not designed for long-term aging but it has good acidity and balance. We use a Diams cork closure, and we have been very pleased with the aging and absence of corked bottles

rjquillin


quality posts: 171 Private Messages rjquillin
wintershillvineyard wrote:I think this wine will age well for another four to six years. this planned is not designed for long-term aging but it has good acidity and balance. We use a Diams cork closure, and we have been very pleased with the aging and absence of corked bottles

Thanks, grabbed another woot earlier. Appreciate your presence and input here.

CT

wintershillvineyard


quality posts: 4 Private Messages wintershillvineyard
rpm wrote:I think it's a considerably better wine than the Mirassou.

I have purchased twice in the past and purchase another dozen more through this offer. This is an excellent QPR Pinot for regular daily drinking.

It's not super complex, but it has nice bright red fruit aromas and flavor, good acidity and a nice finish. Good food wine, good sipper.



Thank you for sharing your experience with our wines.

ibexscribe


quality posts: 7 Private Messages ibexscribe

I really enjoyed the 2007 De Tierra offered here before, enough so that I purchased more later at full price. I think the description they provided for the wine was spot on. I haven't tried the 2008, and wish I could pick some up now (and try another winery's offerings, too!), but the money just isn't in the bank account to make it happen this month. Hope to see some of these back again when I can afford to pamper myself a bit more!

ajrod27


quality posts: 41 Private Messages ajrod27
losthighwayz wrote:Anyone tried the macrae or detierra? Low on PN and looking for easy drinking CA pinots that have no RS nor cloying . I've enjoyed the So Be It PN and Swami previously offered. Thanks



I opened a bottle of the 2008 Macrae last night. It's difficult to find a well made pinot at this price point. For $15/bottle, the Macrae is a no brainer!

Very pleasant nose of cherries, strawberry rhubarb tart, sweet earth, evergreen forest floor, and toasty oak nuances. Nice cherry palate with rose and oak on the finish; definitely no RS. It's a little heavier than most pinot's I've had; I'd say it's a solid medium bodied wine. There is some slightly noticeable heat on the finish, which I didn't mind.

The acidity level in this wine makes it pretty easy drinking. I haven't tried the So Be It or Swami yet, so I can't offer any comparison.

Hope that helped!

losthighwayz


quality posts: 59 Private Messages losthighwayz
ajrod27 wrote:I opened a bottle of the 2008 Macrae last night. It's difficult to find a well made pinot at this price point. For $15/bottle, the Macrae is a no brainer!

Very pleasant nose of cherries, strawberry rhubarb tart, sweet earth, evergreen forest floor, and toasty oak nuances. Nice cherry palate with rose and oak on the finish; definitely no RS. It's a little heavier than most pinot's I've had; I'd say it's a solid medium bodied wine. There is some slightly noticeable heat on the finish, which I didn't mind.

The acidity level in this wine makes it pretty easy drinking. I haven't tried the So Be It or Swami yet, so I can't offer any comparison.

Hope that helped!



Awesome. Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like a sleeper for $15! One more question: it sounds like it is on the earthier spectrum as opposed to the cola spectrum. Am I correct? Wife and I enjoy both though RRV cola style gets the nod by a bit.

"The older I get the better I was"

ajrod27


quality posts: 41 Private Messages ajrod27
losthighwayz wrote:Awesome. Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like a sleeper for $15! One more question: it sounds like it is on the earthier spectrum as opposed to the cola spectrum. Am I correct? Wife and I enjoy both though RRV cola style gets the nod by a bit.



Correct. I've had RRV pinots from Davis Family Vineyards which had big cola notes. The Macrae is not like that. There is a nice balance of ripe fruit, tart fruit and earth; leaning more towards fruity than earthy though.

I'll revisit the Macrae tonight to see how it's evolved at the 48 hour mark.

shelli1330


quality posts: 0 Private Messages shelli1330

What is your typical turn around time for orders?

ThunderThighs


quality posts: 563 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

shelli1330 wrote:What is your typical turn around time for orders?


The FAQ answers that pretty darn well:

How long is shipment going to take?
You should get your wine in 2-3 weeks, often sooner. We know the wait is kind of a drag. But it's still gonna taste good (maybe even better), and since we leave it to the wineries to get the wine to you, you can count on their experience to send their wine using their expert methodologies.



FORUM MODERATOR.............ON VACATION!
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

guzmantis


quality posts: 5 Private Messages guzmantis
shelli1330 wrote:What is your typical turn around time for orders?



Ordered the Winter's Hill half-case, along with the Twisted Oak offer, on 6/15. Received my Twisted Oak on 6/26, but the tracking # for Winter's Hill says the shipment was cancelled. . . Anybody else having a similar issue?