WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Poll: What do you think of wine ratings?
  • 7.1% - They're great. 67
  • 67.5% - They can be helpful, but are flawed, and should be taken with a grain of salt. 640
  • 24.1% - They're dumb. 228
  • 1.4% - I have something else I'd like to say in the comments. 13
948 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

mdkopper

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mdkopper

The hell with wine, tell us about
beer ratings...

cbs2208

quality posts: 2 Private Messages cbs2208

What are "Wine Ratings"?

RKett

quality posts: 2 Private Messages RKett

Why the hell would anyone rely on someone else's sense of taste to decide if something is good or not. Rotten grape juice, seriously? Give me water.

rachelegaffney

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rachelegaffney

I can't tell if this makes me sad that I remember or a genius (I'm leaning toward genius) ....but I swear we've had this poll before.

elchasqui

quality posts: 0 Private Messages elchasqui
rachelegaffney wrote:I can't tell if this makes me sad that I remember or a genius (I'm leaning toward genius) ....but I swear we've had this poll before.

Yeah, I think I've seen repeated polls too.

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 35 Private Messages ddeuddeg
mdkopper wrote:The hell with wine, tell us about
beer ratings...

You drink Coors Light. Rating: it sucks. Satisfied?
Try something with flavor, like Dogfish Head 90 minute IPA.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
ddeuddeg wrote:You drink Coors Light. Rating: it sucks. Satisfied?

He drinks Coors Light

You really think you're gonna get through to him?

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

fiz1point5

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fiz1point5

Above 90 points, it's totally hit-or-miss, but typically anything below 80 is "meh" at best.

kmagt

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kmagt

It never fails to amaze me how many non-wine drinkers like to put their opinions into these polls...

RKett wrote:Why the hell would anyone rely on someone else's sense of taste to decide if something is good or not. Rotten grape juice, seriously? Give me water.

kmagt

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kmagt

I agree. To quote Stone Breing "fizzy yellow beer is for wussies".

ddeuddeg wrote:You drink Coors Light. Rating: it sucks. Satisfied?

lorf

quality posts: 4 Private Messages lorf

I like seeing ratings, but wine opinions are subjective. I'll buy "80 point" wines if they are my type.

jawlz

quality posts: 12 Private Messages jawlz

None of the above... well, some of the above, but not all; I think they're useful, and I don't think they are particularly flawed. That said, I don't make my purchasing decisions exclusively based on ratings. They are an indicator of the wine's quality, which is obviously worth more or less depending on the source and how my tastes compare with that source's tastes.

I can understand why people hate scores, but in my mind the hate should be directed instead by those who use scores exclusively in deciding what to drink. Of course that's a flawed approach, but then I'd say that the flaw there is in how the scores are being used, not in the scores themselves.

nololtoday

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nololtoday

I don't drink wine.

I just like voting in polls and occasionally buying foodstuffs.

BuffBillsFan

quality posts: 8 Private Messages BuffBillsFan

Wine ratings have as much relevance to me as "dunk" ratings during the NVA All-star weekend... Yeah, I can kind of see where they come from and how some can assign them, but I lack the skills (and desire) to do it.

olperfesser

quality posts: 2 Private Messages olperfesser

Wine ratings are only good if the rated wine is available where you purchase your wine. And conversely, if the wine available where you purchase has been rated. Most of the time I see this year's vintage with last year's rating by it. Not very valid.

loveladyelectric

quality posts: 23 Private Messages loveladyelectric
BuffBillsFan wrote:Wine ratings have as much relevance to me as "dunk" ratings during the NVA All-star weekend... Yeah, I can kind of see where they come from and how some can assign them, but I lack the skills (and desire) to do it.

In volleyball it's called spiking, not dunking.

mdkopper

kmagt wrote:It never fails to amaze me how many non-wine drinkers like to put their opinions into these polls...

Amendment I
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

That's why..

kylemittskus

quality posts: 233 Private Messages kylemittskus
mdkopper wrote:Amendment I
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

That's why..

Because you can say something, you feel you must?

By the way, no one said you can't answer the polls. Many of us are just curious why you do so.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

mdkopper

kylemittskus wrote:Because you can say something, you feel you must?

By the way, no one said you can't answer the polls. Many of us are just curious why you do so.

Easy tiger, cheer up, have a glass of beer

ddeuddeg

kylemittskus wrote:Because you can say something, you feel you must?

As bowtie said:

bhodilee wrote:He drinks Coors Light

You really think you're gonna get through to him?

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
loveladyelectric wrote:In volleyball it's called spiking, not dunking.

obviously this person is referring to the North Vietnamese Army, who much like North Korea has never lost a game and wins them all by dunking from the three point line every possession. In fact, if North Vietnam and North Korea ever played basketball against each other the planet would implode from the sheer weight of the resulting awesome.

Stupid bowtie thought of the day...How come in Asia all the "North" countries are the communist ones? Are there any where this is flipped?

Does the same hold true for America? Are those in the North more predisposed to Commie thinking than those in the South? If you equate (possibly weakly) that the North is "Liberal" and the South is "Conservative" I think you can successfully argue that the Yankees are Evil Communists and the Braves are Loyal upstanding members of a true Constitutional Republic.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

ddeuddeg

loveladyelectric wrote:In volleyball it's called spiking, not dunking.

Since the B is next to the V on the keyboard, I'm betting that was a typo, and BillsFan meant NBA. Then dunk ratings would make more sense.
EDIT: OTOH, bowtie's classic post immediately above offers a different possibility.

ddeuddeg

woopdedoo wrote:Wine-tasting: It's Junk Science (from the Guardian)

Great to hear from you! Make sure you don't miss the link to the paper by Richard E Quandt, a Princeton economics professor, in the second-last paragraph of the article.