zTimothyBz

quality posts: 2 Private Messages zTimothyBz

All sorts of stuff to celebrate!

Host: zTimothyBz

Theme: Cheron and HAK get married, Timothy's birthday, rjquillin's birthday, RPM's birthday, Cathy Corison's birthday!

Date: August 10th, 2013 (Saturday)

Time: 2 PM - at 6:30 it turns into Timothy's birthday party - see below - so drink the good stuff before then!

Attendees:
- zTimothyBz +1
- Sparky
- rjquillin

Maybes:
- Java (WHO?!?!)
- CoffeeMate
- sukeiasa

Regrets:
- klezman (at some wedding)
- molarche (at some wedding)
- anyone else who misses this

As for a theme for the wines, I plan on opening this, this and my one magnum of this to celebrate the day.

... and since I mentioned the party, the theme for the evening is...

I'm so chic, I'm so sheik!
An Arabian Nights fantasy

The party will be starting at 6:30, so if we start the wine tasting at 2pm, that gives us plenty of time to toast Cheron on her wedding day! After that, put on your curly-toed slippers!

Official holder of unofficial, unauthorized, non-woot gatherings.
My cellar

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 181 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
zTimothyBz wrote:So for August, I'm planning on having a birthday party on the 10th. It's not going to be a wine.woot gathering, but save the date.

And then, I'm thinking of a tasting the weekend between that and the wootception. And that happens to be right around RPM's birthday.

Do you remember that scene from Cellar of Dreams? Well, if we pull the right corks, then maybe RPM will come to So Cal. Or maybe I'm becoming a cargo cultist.

More details later - but what do y'all think?

Possible. Maybe.

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

zTimothyBz

Here's my new thought.

What if we had a deluxe, celebratory tasting early in the afternoon on August 10th?

We can do that in honor of the Cat/HAK. (And maybe drunk dial them!)

Then things can transition to my b-day party.

My cellar

MarkDaSpark

zTimothyBz wrote:Here's my new thought.

What if we had a deluxe, celebratory tasting early in the afternoon on August 10th?

We can do that in honor of the Cat/HAK. (And maybe drunk dial them!)

Then things can transition to my b-day party.

I like this thought!

Edit: Or is this just a way to get help setting up?

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

sukeiasa

quality posts: 6 Private Messages sukeiasa

are you thinking about irvine as a venue?? i'll be in cali that weekend and it's one of my buddie's bday as well so i was thinking about hosting a tasting in irvine anyways... want to combine and open up even more bottles?

wine woot gatherings: manchego dinner, '11 cyber pub bottling, '12 cyber pub bottling, DMV #25, #26, #28, #29, #29.5, #30, NY #19, NY #20; socal #22

sukeiasa

my bad, i see you're doing this the week after the 10th... but hey, feel free to drop by on the 10th for a pre- bday celebration!

wine woot gatherings: manchego dinner, '11 cyber pub bottling, '12 cyber pub bottling, DMV #25, #26, #28, #29, #29.5, #30, NY #19, NY #20; socal #22

MarkDaSpark

sukeiasa wrote:are you thinking about irvine as a venue?? i'll be in cali that weekend and it's one of my buddie's bday as well so i was thinking about hosting a tasting in irvine anyways... want to combine and open up even more bottles?

They close around 7 pm on Saturdays, and Tim's party will go longer. Plus he was going to have a wine only early in the afternoon just for us, then open it up later for everyone else (absinthe, etc.).

sukeiasa

MarkDaSpark wrote:They close around 7 pm on Saturdays, and Tim's party will go longer. Plus he was going to have a wine only early in the afternoon just for us, then open it up later for everyone else (absinthe, etc.).

hmm... absinthe in the summer... yum.... is this going to happen in lakewood? my folks are right next doors around artesia haha...

MarkDaSpark

sukeiasa wrote:hmm... absinthe in the summer... yum.... is this going to happen in lakewood? my folks are right next doors around artesia haha...

Yep!

And my grandparents lived in Artesia, and my Uncle and Aunt still do!

zTimothyBz

Edited initial post so it's all on the 10th.

My cellar

MarkDaSpark

zTimothyBz wrote:Edited initial post so it's all on the 10th.

You can probably make it #27, since we won't be having one today.

zTimothyBz

This is just over a week away! Who's in for drunk dialing the Cat-HAK?

My cellar

sukeiasa

wait, so this is a costume party!?
or are we bringing arabian wine!?

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg
zTimothyBz wrote:This is just over a week away! Who's in for drunk dialing the Cat-HAK?

Sounds charming.
Check your PM for info request.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

javadrinker

quality posts: 4 Private Messages javadrinker

Coffeemate and I should be able to make this but just remember...we don't do costumes. ;)

And the path to drunken poverty continues... Java's Stash at CT

• Wine.woots: um, lost count.
  • Other woots: um, lost count too. I might have a problem.

cortot20

quality posts: 138 Private Messages cortot20
sukeiasa wrote:wait, so this is a costume party!?

Arabian wine.

CT

rjquillin

quality posts: 173 Private Messages rjquillin
javadrinker wrote:Coffeemate and I should be able to make this but just remember...we don't do costumes. ;)

+1 on the costume aspect, and it'll be good to see you two again.

CT

zTimothyBz

sukeiasa wrote:wait, so this is a costume party!?

I think for the tasting at 2pm people will be dressing as normally as they ever do.

For the party part, costume optional.

ddeuddeg wrote:Sounds charming.

That's because they inspire us to be a class act!

Speaking of class, since we will be drinking the health of Cheron and HAK, I'm planning on opening a couple of (what I hope will will be) interesting bottles. Remember on the 2012 RPM tour that Dry Creek had some of their 1995 Cab available from their library? And since the 9th is Cathy Corison's birthday, a Corison will be appropriate, so we can toast to her as well.

[Edit: Just called the winery. Perhaps it's time to open the mag of 1991..]

My cellar

rjquillin

And, just to add to the party as I'm having a special B-day as well on the 15th...

CT

klezman

quality posts: 122 Private Messages klezman

Sounds like this one is going to suck to miss. Oh well...next time! If you drunk dial the Cat-HAK we'll say hello.

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

zTimothyBz

Completely re-did the initial post to match the way Sparky does them.

Any other people in or out?

My cellar

zTimothyBz

Just another request to know if anyone attending has any particular dietary requirements or allergies.

If all goes well, the menu we've planned will be:

• Crunchy Pickled Garlic
  • Tangy Hot Tomato Sauce for dipping Pita bread
  • Fresh Cucumber and Tomato Salad with Sumac
  • Spiced Lentil Soup with Lemon
  • Classic Hummus
  • Thick and Rich Lamb Pottage
  • Melt-in-Your-Mouth Cardamom Shortbreads

And perhaps, just perhaps, some Peach Sherbet ala Harold Shea and the Castle of Iron...

If you would like to bring some food, here are a few ideas to fit the theme:

• Tabbouleh
  • Falafel
  • Kabobs
  • Baklava
(please garnish anything you bring with glorious adjectives)

My cellar

rjquillin

zTimothyBz wrote:
  • Tabbouleh
  • Falafel
  • Kabobs
  • Baklava
(please garnish anything you bring with glorious adjectives)

Not a huge published attendee list. If planning to supply one of the above, what volumetric quantity might you suggest?

CT

zTimothyBz

rjquillin wrote:Not a huge published attendee list. If planning to supply one of the above, what volumetric quantity might you suggest?

Well, those foods - which are mostly not very palate-friendly - are for the party portion of the evening. For the tasting, I'm going to pretend(!) we're serious about tasting some classier wines. So I'll have bread and water crackers - though I'm going to do the signature Dubliner cheese + Apricot jam thing with the crackers.

If you want to bring just for the tasting, maybe bring for four?

And are you planning on sleeping in the glass house? It will be more restful than the sofa bed this time!

My cellar

rjquillin

zTimothyBz wrote:Well, those foods - which are mostly not very palate-friendly - are for the party portion of the evening. For the tasting, I'm going to pretend(!) we're serious about tasting some classier wines. So I'll have bread and water crackers - though I'm going to do the signature Dubliner cheese + Apricot jam thing with the crackers.

And are you planning on sleeping in the glass house? It will be more restful than the sofa bed this time!

Ooooo, the glass house. Hadn't considered that option; was considering just leaving early, but that is very tempting as I like outside, just tytiger. Speaking of, is he boycotting? Sounds very much like an offer difficult to refuse. I'm in, barring some nasty work thing (unlikely at this point) that may come up. You gonna do a fire-pit thing as well? Should I bring another bread offering?

Looking forward to this now, not that I wasn't before...

CT

MarkDaSpark

zTimothyBz wrote:Well, those foods - which are mostly not very palate-friendly - are for the party portion of the evening. For the tasting, I'm going to pretend(!) we're serious about tasting some classier wines. So I'll have bread and water crackers - though I'm going to do the signature Dubliner cheese + Apricot jam thing with the crackers.

I suppose I should bring that canned cheese along ...

zTimothyBz

MarkDaSpark wrote:I suppose I should bring that canned cheese along ...

We'll all be good with that!

My cellar

rjquillin

MarkDaSpark wrote:I suppose I should bring that canned cheese along ...

That the one with the spray thingies on top?

CT

zTimothyBz

rjquillin wrote:That the one with the spray thingies on top?

No way, man! We're talking Cougar Gold, here!

Also:

rjquillin wrote:Should I bring another bread offering?

That could work. Can you also bring sleeping bag / padding for glass house? I don't know if I can get to the air mattress, right now.

My cellar

rjquillin

zTimothyBz wrote:That could work. Can you also bring sleeping bag / padding for glass house? I don't know if I can get to the air mattress, right now.

Don't bother trying, I gotta dig it out for camping at the wootception as well, so, hopefully...

CT

zTimothyBz

(forgot to reply to this)

rjquillin wrote:You gonna do a fire-pit thing as well?

Depends on whether there's fire-spinning and the timing of it.

My cellar

zTimothyBz

Two days away - RSVP? Will it just be a table for 6?

Anyone have a magnum decanter?

My cellar

rjquillin

zTimothyBz wrote:Two days away - RSVP? Will it just be a table for 6?

Sparky did till I helped him shatter it...

Two standard's?

CT

merryberry

quality posts: 10 Private Messages merryberry

I think you should add at least 1 more seat. Could be 2, SWMBO has some plans she's trying to work around.

My Cellar in CT

MarkDaSpark

I think my spare is a magnum. The one RJ didn't break.

MarkDaSpark

Java and Coffeemate will be late arrivals. Or so he claimed yesterday. When I reminded him.

rjquillin

MarkDaSpark wrote:I think my spare is a magnum. The one RJ didn't break.

Hey, I was just there to 'help'...

CT

rjquillin

Bread parbaked, just needs a final warm-up and browning; check

Rosemary and Asiago cheese on the right, on the left the golden standard with Alder smoked finishing sea salt.

Ar rig and bedding loaded and ready to to; check

A quick shower and I'll be on the way. Ahhh, this is a bit cool, very quick shower. Plenty of propane, cooked this morning, but the pilot light is out!
That's happened before, but not because of this...

Yes, that's a water heater...

But the lake under it is a new addition. Now I know why the pilot went out, it was drowned.

So much for the 'on the road' to a B-day party part of the day. Now it's gonna be on the road to purchase a new water heater.
Better now I suppose than the weekend, yes, this is a weekend, of the wootception.

Bringing up that jeroboam of Madeira would have been less expensive than this.

Must be payback for the Poli"ticks" row I started.

CT

zTimothyBz

Does this mean you are going to be arriving a touch late?

My cellar

rjquillin

zTimothyBz wrote:Does this mean you are going to be arriving a touch late?

10:1 Java is there way before I make it. My choices are find and install, or suffer the wrath of SWMBO when she attempts to shower.
Looking now for something in stock I can get today.

CT