Iron Horse UnOaked Chardonnay 3-Pack
$56.99 $̶9̶4̶.̶0̶0̶ 39% off List Price
2010 Iron Horse UnOaked Chardonnay
CT link above

Winery website

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 187 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

Speed to first woot: 1m 27.552s
First sucker: MarkDaSpark
Last wooter to woot: MarkDaSpark

Wow! Really? No one else jumped on this yet? It's Iron Horse peeples!!

Edit: I am not weirded out by being first! Am not! Am not!!

I'm flabbergasted that I was first!

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

rjquillin

quality posts: 183 Private Messages rjquillin
MarkDaSpark wrote:Speed to first woot: 1m 27.552s

Only one?!

CT

MarkDaSpark

rjquillin wrote:Only one?!

3 bottles! Remember, I only got one of the Wellington case as well!

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

loveladyelectric

quality posts: 23 Private Messages loveladyelectric

I went to Iron Horse a few weeks ago and tried their sparkling offers and two Pinot Noirs. I have not tried any of their Chardonnays. Any tasting notes?

klezman

quality posts: 130 Private Messages klezman

Well well well! I won't be going in on this, only because I already have 6 bottles at home and one consumed already. molarchae and I both love this wine. It's bright, crisp, interesting, refreshing, and just what an unoaked Chard ought to be. Tasting note from the first bottle (from CT):

3/18/2013 Nose is pear and semi-ripe cheese. Palate is apple, lemon, and slightly creamy. I'm left wondering if there's a touch of residual sugar, barely at the level of perceptibility or if it's just a more tropical note like mango. Excellent wine, and I may go get a bunch more to store away for a while.

2014: 42 bottles. Last wine.woot: 2012 Iron Horse Estate Chardonnay
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

MarkDaSpark

loveladyelectric wrote:I went to Iron Horse a few weeks ago and tried their sparkling offers and two Pinot Noirs. I have not tried any of their Chardonnays. Any tasting notes?

Just Nom, nom, nom.

craiggery

quality posts: 2 Private Messages craiggery

Last wooter to woot:craiggery

first purchase in awhile. happy to be back and glad to see some Iron Horse. Cant wait to drink this stuff. any news on summer shipping as its starting to get a little warm and id like for these to not be cooked on arrival

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 175 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

craiggery wrote:Last wooter to woot:craiggery

first purchase in awhile. happy to be back and glad to see some Iron Horse. Cant wait to drink this stuff. any news on summer shipping as its starting to get a little warm and id like for these to not be cooked on arrival

No news on summer shipping yet, but once we find out anything, we'll let you guys know ASAP.

rjquillin

quality posts: 183 Private Messages rjquillin

This has got to be one of, if not the best, $20 chard I've had; speaking of the 2009. Purchased a case without even blinking.

Every time I open one up when company is over it brings nothing but praise.

Klez's endorsement sot on and quite likely to tip me over, but I as sooo out of room.

CT

cortot20

quality posts: 159 Private Messages cortot20

One of my favorites from iron horse. I'm not a huge sparkling wine drinker and found their pinots to be pricey but this unoaked chard at this price is a great deal. Highly recommended.

CT

MarkDaSpark

rjquillin wrote:This has got to be one of, if not the best, $20 chard I've had; speaking of the 2009. Purchased a case without even blinking.

Klez's endorsement sot on and quite likely to tip me over, but I as sooo out of room.

Talk to the hand. zTimBz just got his 3 cases of Wellington and his Club case of Corison in. Oh, and my measly single Wellington case.

We're going to need a gathering at our locker to help make room! Oh wait, we are!

chipgreen

quality posts: 202 Private Messages chipgreen

Tried this at the end of our visit to Iron Horse on the rpm tour last summer. No detailed notes but I remember liking it and later regretting that I didn't pick up a bottle or two. Now I'll have three!

redwinefan

quality posts: 74 Private Messages redwinefan

Nice wine. Unexpectedly on the creamy/viscous side compared to most Unoaked Chards.

I'd be in, but I was able to snag some of this at my local Costco a few months ago and still have bottles left to drink.

"You need to invest in a corkscrew. Wine is for drinking." -- Peter Wellington

MarkDaSpark

And we have a Nallie sighting!!

Last wooter to woot: nallie

Our resident Ninja Assassin likes IH Chard!

bsevern

quality posts: 110 Private Messages bsevern

Would love to see the Thomas Road Pinot on wine.woot some day....it was really yummy at the winery, but far too $$$ IMHO.

I had to chuckle at today's kids woot

rpm

quality posts: 177 Private Messages rpm

Ah, Joy! This unoaked Chardonnay is one of my favorite Russian River Valley Chardonnays! Everyone who has been on woot for any length of time knows that I am a huge fan of Iron Horse sparklers - consistently one of the top 3 in California. I am almost equally a fan of their still wines: fine Pinot Noir and Chardonnay. The Chardonnay comes in a couple of versions - with or without oak aging, depending on what the winemaker thinks is best for the lot of fruit.

On our Tours, we have consistently found the unoaked Chardonnay to be one of the great, perhaps lesser known, values. Most really good California Chardonnay is pretty expensive, especially here on the East coast when compared to middle rank white Burgundy and Chablis. (Rare indeed is the California Chardonnay that soars to the heights of the grand cru Chablis or white Burgundy). More people should know this wine, but then it would get much more expensive. So, I hope it stays a little less known (sorry, Joy!!) so we can buy it.

While this wine can go several more years I think -- the '09 is drinking beautifully -- this is a wine you can, and our family will, enjoy this Summer.

Oh, yes, this is an rpm autobuy. Do not fail in this charge!

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

pseudogourmet98

quality posts: 19 Private Messages pseudogourmet98
rjquillin wrote:
Klez's endorsement sot on..(snip).

Pun intended???

jhkey

quality posts: 51 Private Messages jhkey

This would be an autobuy for me, but I already have 6 of the 2010 Chards. I'll plan to pop one of those tonight and post notes.

"I double the doctor's recommendation of a glass and a half of wine a day and even treble it with a friend."
- Thomas Jefferson (CT)

joyironhorse

quality posts: 50 Private Messages joyironhorse
MarkDaSpark wrote:Speed to first woot: 1m 27.552s

Congratulations and thank you!

Edit: I am not weirded out by being first! Am not! Am not!!

I'm flabbergasted that I was first!

rpm

jhkey wrote:This would be an autobuy for me, but I already have 6 of the 2010 Chards. I'll plan to pop one of those tonight and post notes.

And 6 is enough, why? If you have one tonight that's only 5. There are 14 more weeks of Summer. If you have 3-4 bottles of white wine per week (more when entertaining friends), that's at least 4-5 cases of white wine to be drunk between now and the autumn equinox. Surely, 1 of those cases should be Iron Horse.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

joyironhorse

loveladyelectric wrote:I went to Iron Horse a few weeks ago and tried their sparkling offers and two Pinot Noirs. I have not tried any of their Chardonnays. Any tasting notes?

Here are my tasting notes: Bright, clean, crisp, remarkably rich and smooth. It's a perfect expression of our cool, foggy climate and has that special lime/mandarin splash that says Green Valley.

joyironhorse

MarkDaSpark wrote:Just Nom, nom, nom.

Well said!

joyironhorse

rjquillin wrote:This has got to be one of, if not the best, $20 chard I've had; speaking of the 2009. Purchased a case without even blinking.

This is one you'll drink up in no time. It is especially delicious with heirloom tomatoes, mozzarella and basil.I also love it with prosciutto.

pseudogourmet98

quality posts: 19 Private Messages pseudogourmet98
rpm wrote:
On our Tours, we have consistently found the unoaked Chardonnay to be one of the great, perhaps lesser known, values. Most really good California Chardonnay is pretty expensive, especially here on the East coast when compared to middle rank white Burgundy and Chablis. (Rare indeed is the California Chardonnay that soars to the heights of the grand cru Chablis or white Burgundy). More people should know this wine, but then it would get much more expensive. So, I hope it stays a little less known (sorry, Joy!!) so we can buy it.

While this wine can go several more years I think -- the '09 is drinking beautifully -- this is a wine you can, and our family will, enjoy this Summer.

I drink mostly reds but do enjoy crisp whites by the pool and with seafood.

I have a friend who drinks mostly Chardonnay and loves Rombauer. Would like to gift a bottle (something other than Rombauer since he always buys that) but something he might like. Do you think this would fit the bill?

I too am on the east coast (FL) where selection is more limited.

Thank you.

joyironhorse

rpm wrote:Ah, Joy! This unoaked Chardonnay is one of my favorite Russian River Valley Chardonnays! Everyone who has been on woot for any length of time knows that I am a huge fan of Iron Horse sparklers - consistently one of the top 3 in California. I am almost equally a fan of their still wines: fine Pinot Noir and Chardonnay. The Chardonnay comes in a couple of versions - with or without oak aging, depending on what the winemaker thinks is best for the lot of fruit.

Good Morning! Great to "see" you this fine day. Thank you for the excellent recommendation. I agree that our UnOaked Chardonnay ages beautifully. I had the pleasure of drinking 2007 recently and it was just coming into its stride.

joyironhorse

rpm wrote:And 6 is enough, why? If you have one tonight that's only 5. There are 14 more weeks of Summer. If you have 3-4 bottles of white wine per week (more when entertaining friends), that's at least 4-5 cases of white wine to be drunk between now and the autumn equinox. Surely, 1 of those cases should be Iron Horse.

I like the way you think!

rpm

joyironhorse wrote:I like the way you think!

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

justplainjulie

quality posts: 5 Private Messages justplainjulie

I love, love, love this wine! I've had several vintages and have really enjoyed them all, especially as a summer sipper.

I don't have super detailed tasting notes, but I remember getting a lot of citrus and green apple with a fair amount of minerality.

I'm definitely in on this one.

guzmantis

quality posts: 6 Private Messages guzmantis

Bring on the summer whites! In for 2 based on my experiences with the lovely Iron Horse Rosé.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 232 Private Messages kylemittskus
pseudogourmet98 wrote:I drink mostly reds but do enjoy crisp whites by the pool and with seafood.

I have a friend who drinks mostly Chardonnay and loves Rombauer. Would like to gift a bottle (something other than Rombauer since he always buys that) but something he might like. Do you think this would fit the bill?

I too am on the east coast (FL) where selection is more limited.

Thank you.

For you, I say buy. For your friend, not so much. Rombauer is an OAK/BUTTER BOMB. This sees no oak at all. Likely interesting for him/her to try, but based on the sole like you gave us, this is a totally different style.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

siwbm

quality posts: 5 Private Messages siwbm

Oh noes! Not sure I can hold!

Picked up a bottle on the tour, and we loved it.

Winedavid39

quality posts: 211 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

craiggery wrote:Last wooter to woot:craiggery

Enjoy summer shipping precautions this week without the added cost. Stay tuned for more news next week.

81prelude

quality posts: 10 Private Messages 81prelude

Full discloser I am a casual wine drinker. I do like to drink Chardonnay and from the comments seems like a no brainer buy to me.

My question is when would be the best time to uncork this wine? Now or a year..etc? Also, what foods should I pair this wine with?

kylemittskus

quality posts: 232 Private Messages kylemittskus
81prelude wrote:Full discloser I am a casual wine drinker. I do like to drink Chardonnay and from the comments seems like a no brainer buy to me.

My question is when would be the best time to uncork this wine? Now or a year..etc? Also, what foods should I pair this wine with?

This year or next easily. It will likely be good past that. Any seafood, shrimp would be awesome, chicken dishes.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

MarkDaSpark

joyironhorse wrote:Well said!

And thanks again for hosting us during last year's RPM Magical Historical Tour! You did get the pic of you and your mom, right?

davidironhorse

quality posts: 14 Private Messages davidironhorse

David Munksgard-winemaker here:
No RS on the UnOaked or any Iron Horse Still wines. Full mouthfeel comes from skin contact prior to pressing the grapes. This drops the acidity a bit without having to resort to malo-lactic, which I consider a fruit killing experience.
Cold Stainless fermentation retains fruity esters. Yum Yum!

klezman wrote:Well well well! I won't be going in on this, only because I already have 6 bottles at home and one consumed already. molarchae and I both love this wine. It's bright, crisp, interesting, refreshing, and just what an unoaked Chard ought to be. Tasting note from the first bottle (from CT):

3/18/2013 Nose is pear and semi-ripe cheese. Palate is apple, lemon, and slightly creamy. I'm left wondering if there's a touch of residual sugar, barely at the level of perceptibility or if it's just a more tropical note like mango. Excellent wine, and I may go get a bunch more to store away for a while.

davidironhorse

quality posts: 14 Private Messages davidironhorse

David Munksgard-winemaker here:
This wine came about because of folks saying they don't like Chardonnay. Actually most folks DO like Chardonnay; they just don't like how most Chardonnays are made.
This wine exresses true unmasked fruit.Wines from cooler climates have higher acidity and lower pH's, which gives these wines great potentail for aging. This wine drinks well now and will hold well for 2-3 more years with proper storage. This is my Summer white. Enjoy!

81prelude wrote:Full discloser I am a casual wine drinker. I do like to drink Chardonnay and from the comments seems like a no brainer buy to me.

moondigger

quality posts: 11 Private Messages moondigger

You guys are killing me. After the Wellington mixed case, I stood strong and did not order the Winesmith Planet Pluto Meritage. That was easy enough as it sold out pretty early.

Then I resisted the Atlas Peak Mountain Cab offer, despite the fantastic reviews. The cost of nearly $50 per bottle shipped made it a bit easier.

The next few days weren't too difficult to get through. I have plenty of Zin and Sauv Blanc already, so the Renwood and Terroir 95470 offers passed without incident.

The R. Merlo Pinot offer piqued my interest, but one glance at my completely full storage was enough to cool my ardor. Following up with another R. Merlo offer the next day was kind of sneaky, but I can usually resist Chardonnay offers without much difficulty.

Then things got more serious. It's like you guys knew I was running out of Vino Noceto Sangio. I came this close [imagine me holding the tips of my thumb and index fingers the width of a sheet of paper apart] to clicking the big yellow button for more Vino Noceto. Were it not for SWMBO putting her foot down, I'd have more of that on the way as we speak.

Then yesterday, an interesting Syrah offer from a producer I knew little about. The tasting notes looked good, and I do like trying new wines. But still I resisted, with my temp-controlled storage bursting at the seams.

And so we come to today. A Chardonnay -- no problem resisting that. I'm much more of a red wine guy than white, and Chardonnay isn't even my favorite white varietal.

Except that this is Iron Horse. Except for all the love being showered on this wine by woot contributors I have learned to trust. Good grief. Would I really break my SIWBM for a Chardonnay?

I'm still resisting. But I don't know how long I can hold out. Anybody care to compare this wine to the 2003 Winesmith Student Vineyard Chard?