WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Poll: Does the state where you live produce good wines?
  • 23.6% - Of course! I live in California, Washington, Oregon, or New York. 193
  • 23.8% - Yes, my state's wine scene is underrated. 195
  • 31.2% - Not too many, but there are a few gems if you know where to look. 255
  • 21.4% - No, sadly. 175
818 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

curtisuxor

quality posts: 56 Private Messages curtisuxor

Denial Vineyards is fantastic.

mdkopper

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mdkopper

Does the state where you live produce good wines?

Don't care about wine, But they make a Great beer, Coors Light..

scotteri

quality posts: 1 Private Messages scotteri

New York?!? Are you guys nuts?

olperfesser

quality posts: 2 Private Messages olperfesser

Florida? Unless you like Carambola wine... It's too hot for most grape species.

moondigger

quality posts: 11 Private Messages moondigger
scotteri wrote:New York?!? Are you guys nuts?

New York wineries make many fantastic whites and dessert wines. Their reds don't fare as well, in part because the growing season here is not ideal for many of the most popular red grape varieties.

deckerbrian

quality posts: 16 Private Messages deckerbrian

Fireside Winery in Iowa had a new varietal last year call Marquette. I'm planting some of the vines myself this year.

sunnyx0r

quality posts: 9 Private Messages sunnyx0r

I'd say Illinois is producing some good stuff. Didn't make the list here though.

coynedj

quality posts: 7 Private Messages coynedj

I live in South Dakota. 'Nuff said.

I once tried a bottle from what was described as "one of South Dakota's best wineries". It wasn't a dessert wine, but the sugar content was ridiculous.

I started out on Burgundy but soon hit the harder stuff. Bob Dylan, Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues

How on earth did I get 7 QPs?

SumDuud

quality posts: 21 Private Messages SumDuud

Yes, in my state our wine is called Bourbon!

Let's see the quality impulse buys!
Wooter to blame for sellout: SumDuud
Sellout time: 8:11:25 AM Central Time

thumperchick

quality posts: 234 Private Messages thumperchick

We have some great wines produced here. Our dessert wines are crisp and sweet.

But something we do ridiculously well are ciders. Check out Sylboro Cider House for a great dessert cider - the Iced does very well in place of a sweet white.

rpm

quality posts: 167 Private Messages rpm

I am told by a couple I respect in the NY wine scene that there is one decent winery in Connecticut (although it is her sister and brother-in-law's winery), but I have not yet visited. With that one possible exception, no the state does not produce drinkable, let a lone good, vinifera grape wine.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
mdkopper wrote:Does the state where you live produce good wines?

Don't care about wine, But they make a Great beer, Coors Light..

Oddly enough, I revisited Coors this last week and found it quite nice. Coors light on the other hand. not so much

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

marbaulo

quality posts: 5 Private Messages marbaulo

Don't be a snob! NY makes some great wines. Also Niagara region of Canada if you get up that way. Open your mind and your palette may find some great happiness without breaking your wallet. My everyday wine is a lightly fruity little number from Hazlitt - RedCat. Moderately sweet that goes with everything - including ALL my friends whether they have a taste for fine wines or not. I don't serve dry reds to people who don't appreciate them- It's rude to the drinker and the wine.

baileydawn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages baileydawn

Texas has amazing wines!

rizaroni

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rizaroni

I live in OR and live 10 minutes from Walla Walla, WA, where there are over 70 wineries. I guess you could say we're known for wine.

Larisa

chipgreen

quality posts: 178 Private Messages chipgreen
bhodilee wrote:Oddly enough, I revisited Coors this last week and found it quite nice. Coors light on the other hand. not so much

But, but... it's the Silver Bullet! Who cares if it tastes like carbonated smogwater?

chipgreen

Best Rieslings in the world, outside of Germany. For starters. The rest is for you to discover.

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
chipgreen wrote:But, but... it's the Silver Bullet! Who cares if it tastes like carbonated smogwater?

you're too kind!

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

trifecta

quality posts: 69 Private Messages trifecta
baileydawn wrote:Texas has amazing wines!

Please provide me with the name of one. I have tried a dozen or so and all were plonk

chipgreen

moondigger wrote:New York wineries make many fantastic whites and dessert wines. Their reds don't fare as well, in part because the growing season here is not ideal for many of the most popular red grape varieties.

NY has a few good reds. Cab Franc and Chambourcin do extremely well and there are some good Merlots and Pinot Noirs. In particular Dr. Konstantin Frank's Old Vines PN from NY's Finger Lakes are consistently good.

coynedj

quality posts: 7 Private Messages coynedj
chipgreen wrote:NY has a few good reds. Cab Franc and Chambourcin do extremely well and there are some good Merlots and Pinot Noirs. In particular Dr. Konstantin Frank's Old Vines PN from NY's Finger Lakes are consistently good.

I wish I could get Dr. Frank's wines out here in the hinterland. When I'm back in Rochester in August, I'm going to have to stock up. A trip to Century Liquor or the House of Bacchus is in my future.

I started out on Burgundy but soon hit the harder stuff. Bob Dylan, Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues

How on earth did I get 7 QPs?

moondigger

quality posts: 11 Private Messages moondigger
chipgreen wrote:NY has a few good reds. Cab Franc and Chambourcin do extremely well and there are some good Merlots and Pinot Noirs. In particular Dr. Konstantin Frank's Old Vines PN from NY's Finger Lakes are consistently good.

I was going to mention Cab Franc as a grape that grows well in NY, and then lost the thought while typing my comment.

That said, I didn't claim that there were no drinkable reds in NY. I said there were many fantastic whites and dessert wines, and that the reds don't fare as well. Because I've never tried a NY red I'd call "fantastic." But I've had some decent Cab Francs.

I admit I have not tried a lot of NY Pinots, because the first few I tried were plonk, and it turned me off to that varietal in NY.

And I don't drink many Merlots, whether from NY or elsewhere. I've had some good California Merlots, and even a couple Chilean Merlots that I liked. But I don't like enough of them to want to want to 'risk' the money for a NY Merlot.

A suggestion for those who think New York doesn't belong on the list: Try a Hermann J. Wiemer Riesling sometime, and get back to me. I prefer his Dry Riesling to the Semi-Dry, but they're both great.