Cesare

quality posts: 1676 Private Messages Cesare

R. Merlo Trinity County Pinot Noir 4-Pack
$63.99 $̶1̶1̶5̶.̶0̶0̶ 44% off List Price
2008 Pinot Noir, Trinity County

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

rjquillin

quality posts: 184 Private Messages rjquillin

Looks like I drew the lucky number this weekend. This is bottle #2 of the tri-pack.
I've enjoyed other R Merlo's, looking forward to this one, but gonna have to wait till tomorrow...

CT

bolligra

quality posts: 33 Private Messages bolligra

If their PN is as good as their syrah, then this will be a great buy!

As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

trifecta

quality posts: 74 Private Messages trifecta
rjquillin wrote:Looks like I drew the lucky number this weekend. This is bottle #2 of the tri-pack.
Gonna have to wait till tomorrow on this one...

Envious! I want notes!

I have really enjoyed the R. Merlo Syrahs and the numbers on this Pinot look pretty good.

Curious what style this Pinot is given the terroir.

coolchris160

quality posts: 47 Private Messages coolchris160

A fellow wooter recommended R. Merlo to me quite a while ago and what do ya know, here it is! I am most likely in for one of these.

(Unless he wants to split some. In which case I'm in for two or possibly three.)

This is apparently very well made juice. I wish I had more notes to offer, but I'm just going off of what a fellow Wooter told me. I'm sure he will post up and offer more insight for others...

andreaserben

quality posts: 21 Private Messages andreaserben
rjquillin wrote:Looks like I drew the lucky number this weekend. This is bottle #2 of the tri-pack.
I've enjoyed other R Merlo's, looking forward to this one, but gonna have to wait till tomorrow...

*shakes his fist* tri-packs? unconceivable!

andreaserben

I woke up, checked Woot and seeing the words R. Merlo and the label/color of the bottle - got all excited.
Then I saw pack size, the price and the varietal and my excitement turned to disappointment since I do not know this wine and hoped for an awesome offer on their Syrah.

ajrod27

quality posts: 41 Private Messages ajrod27
trifecta wrote:...the numbers on this Pinot look pretty good.

The numbers look VERY good, given the terroir.

What is the age-ability on these bad boys?

greyday

quality posts: 54 Private Messages greyday
andreaserben wrote:*shakes his fist* tri-packs? unconceivable!

This word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

pseudogourmet98

quality posts: 19 Private Messages pseudogourmet98
andreaserben wrote:I woke up, checked Woot and seeing the words R. Merlo and the label/color of the bottle - got all excited.
Then I saw pack size, the price and the varietal and my excitement turned to disappointment since I do not know this wine and hoped for an awesome offer on their Syrah.

+1

rjquillin

trifecta wrote:Envious! I want notes!

I have really enjoyed the R. Merlo Syrahs and the numbers on this Pinot look pretty good.

ajrod27 wrote:The numbers look VERY good, given the terroir.

Patience ya'll, it's 0530 out here! That's AM, I'm taking one for the team here.

PnP @ 55F, a bit cloudy, but it just traveled here too, not going to knock it down for that.
Still too dark to get a true color, that too will have to come later, after the sun is up, but earth and mushroom lept out of the glass, followed by fruit.

This is not a simple PN as first taste confirms, all the nose is there on the palate. Totally dry, no detectable RS, and a long finish where the oak and tannins make their presence well known.

There seems to be a lot going on here, but I'm going to let things settle down until this evening.
First impressions; every bit as good as the Syrah.

My only question now is one or two, 'cause this one is coming to a locker near me.

If that third bottle comes up tonight/tomorrow, this is going to be an expensive weekend.

CT

alforsd

quality posts: 0 Private Messages alforsd

Woot (or fellow Wooters), I would like to go in for one of these, but what assurance do I have that it won't get cooked en route like my last shipment? 100 degrees on a Fedex truck 'til the 6:03 p.m. delivery didn't work out too well...

rjquillin

alforsd wrote:Woot (or fellow Wooters), I would like to go in for one of these, but what assurance do I have that it won't get cooked en route like my last shipment? 100 degrees on a Fedex truck 'til the 6:03 p.m. delivery didn't work out too well...

As many of us have posted in the past, have it delivered to your local FedEx office and pick it up there.

CT

alforsd

quality posts: 0 Private Messages alforsd
rjquillin wrote:As many of us have posted in the past, have it delivered to your local FedEx office and pick it up there.

Got it - thank you very much for the tip.

klezman

quality posts: 130 Private Messages klezman
rjquillin wrote:My only question now is one or two, 'cause this one is coming to a locker near me.

If that third bottle comes up tonight/tomorrow, this is going to be an expensive weekend.

The stats + your initial notes have me wanting a bottle or two for myself. I'll wait until you add more notes though, but maybe a split of your second set?

2014: 42 bottles. Last wine.woot: 2012 Iron Horse Estate Chardonnay
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

andreaserben

deleted - I was too tired to capture the movie reference being shot back at me.

(I was blabbering about 'unconceivable' being the archaic form of 'inconceivable')

moondigger

quality posts: 11 Private Messages moondigger
andreaserben wrote:deleted - I was too tired to capture the movie reference being shot back at me.

My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

trifecta

ajrod27 wrote:The numbers look VERY good, given the terroir.

So given the reputation of R. Merlo in this household, I have the green light from SWMBO.
Sub $20 Pinot, with good numbers, a good review from a trusted palate, mushroom and earth, and from a trusted winey....

Looks like I am in. I want 6 bottles, but not 8. Any bay area folks want a couple bottles?

bsevern

quality posts: 110 Private Messages bsevern
trifecta wrote:So given the reputation of R. Merlo in this household, I have the green light from SWMBO.
Sub $20 Pinot, with good numbers, a good review from a trusted palate, mushroom and earth, and from a trusted winey....

Looks like I am in. I want 6 bottles, but not 8. Any bay area folks want a couple bottles?

I could take a couple......trade for some Habanos?

chipgreen

quality posts: 202 Private Messages chipgreen

Sorry to be a little late to the party - a bottle of this arrived yesterday and I wasn't expecting it to be up so soon.

PnP: Magenta color, lighter around the edges. Thin, slow-forming legs. Nose of cherry, oak, wet leaves, spice and a little heat. Cherry tart, mushroom, white pepper and prominent oak on the medium-bodied palate. This has a nice silky mouthfeel and isn't as thin as many PNs. Lots of oak and soft tannins on the longish finish.

After an hour in the glass there is more spice, earthiness and a little more fruit. The oak, though still prominent, has knitted together nicely with the tannins.

I agree with rj that there is a lot going on with this wine although on the initial PnP the oak sort of overwhelmed the many nuances underneath (at least for me). After some air time and integration between the oak and tannins, this is really enjoyable.

I would suggest giving this wine an hour in the decanter or at least a run through the Vinturi before drinking. With the oak treatment this wine received (12 months/French/New) it should hold up nicely for another 3-5 years, minimum.

I'm up for a split if North316 or anyone in NE OH is interested.

trifecta

bsevern wrote:I could take a couple......trade for some Habanos?

ajrod27,

Do you want an order? We could all split the shipping.

trifecta

This may nudge some of you over the fence:

Speed to first woot: 4m 25.668s
First sucker:suzgarrett
Last wooter to woot:rpm
Last purchase:7 minutes ago

rpm

quality posts: 179 Private Messages rpm
trifecta wrote:This may nudge some of you over the fence:

Speed to first woot: 4m 25.668s
First sucker:suzgarrett
Last wooter to woot:rpm
Last purchase:7 minutes ago

How could I not? I've never had a wine from Trinity County before! And, it's good numbers Pinot. Worth a try.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

rjquillin

Daylight: now I understand murky in the morning.

CT

trifecta

bsevern wrote:I could take a couple......trade for some Habanos?

Ok. Picked up two orders. We can work out the trade deets at the gathering.

rjquillin

trifecta wrote:Ok. Picked up two orders. We can work out the trade deets at the gathering.

As did I just now. Klez, you wanting two of these?

CT

losthighwayz

quality posts: 61 Private Messages losthighwayz
rjquillin wrote:As did I just now. Klez, you wanting two of these?

I'll take two if Klez does not.

"The older I get the better I was"

klezman

quality posts: 130 Private Messages klezman
rjquillin wrote:As did I just now. Klez, you wanting two of these?

Yeah, I'll take two. If you want to get rid of a third I'll think about it Our ledger is getting long...

2014: 42 bottles. Last wine.woot: 2012 Iron Horse Estate Chardonnay
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

rjquillin

rjquillin wrote:Patience ya'll, it's 0530 out here! That's AM, I'm taking one for the team here.

PnP @ 55F, a bit cloudy, but it just traveled here too, not going to knock it down for that.
Still too dark to get a true color, that too will have to come later, after the sun is up, but earth and mushroom lept out of the glass, followed by fruit.

This is not a simple PN as first taste confirms, all the nose is there on the palate. Totally dry, no detectable RS, and a long finish where the oak and tannins make their presence well known.

There seems to be a lot going on here, but I'm going to let things settle down until this evening.
First impressions; every bit as good as the Syrah.

My only question now is one or two, 'cause this one is coming to a locker near me.

Notes holding true to this morning. Touches of methanol when it gets too warm, ~72F. The oak/tannins are still right there with plenty of, but not, excessive acid for structure with the fruit. Seems like this easily has a few years left for most, perhaps a few extra for me as I don't require the heavy, in general, fruit forward profile of many CA wines.

Pretty much agree with chipgreen, but I'm not getting as much cherry or pepper as it seems he is. This is not a light PN, so if you are looking for light, thin or fruity, this one likely isn't for you.

In for two earlier.

CT

rjquillin

klezman wrote:Yeah, I'll take two. If you want to get rid of a third I'll think about it Our ledger is getting long...

Just keep track and send me a list before our next gathering.

CT

losthighwayz

quality posts: 61 Private Messages losthighwayz
rjquillin wrote:Notes holding true to this morning. Touches of methanol when it gets too warm, ~72F. The oak/tannins are still right there with plenty of, but not, excessive acid for structure with the fruit. Seems like this easily has a few years left for most, perhaps a few extra for me as I don't require the heavy, in general, fruit forward profile of many CA wines.

Pretty much agree with chipgreen, but I'm not getting as much cherry or pepper as it seems he is. This is not a light PN, so if you are looking for light, thin or fruity, this one likely isn't for you.

In for two earlier.

Any fruit? I prefer RRV and Carneros pinots (though not overly fruit forward) over Oregon, and since Klez claimed his lot, on the fence on this....thanks!

"The older I get the better I was"

rjquillin

losthighwayz wrote:Any fruit? I prefer RRV and Carneros pinots (though not overly fruit forward) over Oregon, and since Klez claimed his lot, on the fence on this....thanks!

I've moved on to a Barolo tonight, but yes, absolutely there is fruit, but perhaps not as much as you would like. I'll bring a third bottle up next weekend, if WCC gets them out, and/or the remains of this bottle otherwise. It'll keep with the Ar no problem. At least if this comes up again in a woot-off you'll know what to expect.

OTOH, it looks like Klez would take a bottle off your hands if not to your liking. I could be game as well.

CT