3%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 181 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

Renwood Grandmere Zinfandel Library Mini-Vertical 4-Pack
$69.99 (Normally $135.00, 48% off List Price)

2002 Renwood Grandmere Zinfandel, Amador County 750ml 2-Pack
2004 Renwood Grandmere Zinfandel, Amador County 750ml 2-Pack
CT Links above

Winery website

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

renwoodwinery

quality posts: 17 Private Messages renwoodwinery

Hi all!
Did someone ask for Renwood Zinfandel?
Given our last wine.woot discussion we went for the GRAND offering and opened the library for this offer.
Renwood's Director of Winemaking, Dave Crippen, started with the winery in 2003 and these bottles of wine are the transition vintages. We pulled, tasted and had great conversations about both these wines. We all agreed the Renwood Grandmère Zinfandel is worth the wait and waiting was worth it.
Please let me know if you have any questions.
Cheers!

klezman

quality posts: 122 Private Messages klezman

OK, at first I thought this was Renwood's allocation from Vineyard 1869/OGP. Looks like it's not, at a paltry 1917 planting. I was thinking of letting the siwbm crumble momentarily, but then I noticed the high alcohols at 15.5-16%. Now I need to know more. Winery...where are you? I'd love to know more about the stats (pH, TA, brix, etc).

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

chipgreen

quality posts: 188 Private Messages chipgreen

I won a bottle of 2002 Renwood Grandmere Zinfandel in the CA state wine lottery.

PnP: Lighter color than expected, thin but grippy legs, pleasant nose of cherry-strawberry and sweet oak. Not as much fruit on the palate. Raspberry, bramble, spice/pepper, firm/chewy tannins. Well balanced and much more Zin-like on the palate than the nose.

Poured a full glass, let it sit for 3 hours. Came back to stewed prunes and lots of bramble. Better on the PnP, additional air doing no favors although wish I would have gotten back to it in one-two hrs. instead of three. It probably would have been drinking nicely after an hour, two might have been pushing it.

Due to tannin structure on PnP would have guessed several years of life left but emergence of stewed fruits after exposure to air makes me rethink that a bit.

All in all, it's a pleasant well-balanced Zin on the initial PnP. Aeration might be ok but I would not decant. Drink now through 2014.

I still have 1/3 bottle left, vacu-vin'd for the night. Will revisit tomorrow with some additional notes.

EDIT: Poured another small glass and let it sit for 45 minutes, as I wanted to give this more of a fair shot at having some air, without it being excessive.

Very smooth right now, everything is nicely integrated. Getting a creamy vanilla oak note in the mid-palate that wasn't as evident on PnP or after prolonged air. This is some good juice for as long as it holds up.

renwoodwinery

klezman wrote:OK, at first I thought this was Renwood's allocation from Vineyard 1869/OGP. Looks like it's not, at a paltry 1917 planting. I was thinking of letting the siwbm crumble momentarily, but then I noticed the high alcohols at 15.5-16%. Now I need to know more. Winery...where are you? I'd love to know more about the stats (pH, TA, brix, etc).

I'll take a deeper dive and see what I can find. I asked for this information when we proposed this offer and we had conflicting information in the details. New winemaker and notes at the time. I don't want to post anything misleading.

klezman

renwoodwinery wrote:I'll take a deeper dive and see what I can find. I asked for this information when we proposed this offer and we had conflicting information in the details. New winemaker and notes at the time. I don't want to post anything misleading.

Cool...thanks for the info and for taking a deeper look. Transparency is excellent, imo.

2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

mbuffy

quality posts: 3 Private Messages mbuffy
chipgreen wrote:I won a bottle of 2002 Renwood Grandmere Zinfandel in the CA state wine lottery.

PnP: Lighter color than expected, thin but grippy legs, pleasant nose of cherry-strawberry and sweet oak. Not as much fruit on the palate. Raspberry, bramble, spice/pepper, firm/chewy tannins. Well balanced and much more Zin-like on the palate than the nose.

Poured a full glass, let it sit for 3 hours. Came back to stewed prunes and lots of bramble. Better on the PnP, additional air doing no favors although wish I would have gotten back to it in one-two hrs. instead of three. It probably would have been drinking nicely after an hour, two might have been pushing it.

Due to tannin structure on PnP would have guessed several years of life left but emergence of stewed fruits after exposure to air makes me rethink that a bit.

All in all, it's a pleasant well-balanced Zin on the initial PnP. Aeration might be ok but I would not decant. Drink now-2014.

I still have 1/3 bottle left, vacu-vin'd for the night. Will revisit tomorrow with some additional notes.

"Bramble". I don't think I've ever smelled or tasted bramble. Can you elaborate?

jimjacks66

quality posts: 32 Private Messages jimjacks66
mbuffy wrote:"Bramble". I don't think I've ever smelled or tasted bramble. Can you elaborate?

I could be wrong (most likely) but I think bramble can be likened to blackberry. I know there are multiple varieties of blackberry so not sure which variety bramble may equate to...

Per my Renwood comment in a prior offering, glad I am First Sucker given QPR and that prior owner is no longer current owner given earlier issues between Scott Harvey (a wine.woot fav) and prior owner. Renwood has made great wines regardless of not optimal prior ownership. Will not hold that against them as I stated in prior Estate Syrah offering.

klezman

mbuffy wrote:"Bramble". I don't think I've ever smelled or tasted bramble. Can you elaborate?

Bramble fruits are the whole gamut of raspberry/blackberry/boysenberry/etc family of fruits. So brambly in a description of wine tends to refer to raspberry or blackberry, depending on the "darkness" of the fruit flavours. I think most people tend to by default assume bramble is more related to dark fruit than red fruit.

smartheart

quality posts: 94 Private Messages smartheart

Renwood....could you check your private woot message box please.
Thanks.

"Three be the things I shall never attain: Envy, content, and sufficient champagne."
--D. Parker

chipgreen

Think pepper/spice and dark fruit together, similar to blackberry as JimJacks said but with a prominent spicy component. Or, dark fruit with a "kick" to it. At least, that's what I mean when I use the term.

renwoodwinery

jimjacks66 wrote:I could be wrong (most likely) but I think bramble can be likened to blackberry. I know there are multiple varieties of blackberry so not sure which variety bramble may equate to...

Per my Renwood comment in a prior offering, glad I am First Sucker given QPR and that prior owner is no longer current owner given earlier issues between Scott Harvey (a wine.woot fav) and prior owner. Renwood has made great wines regardless of not optimal prior ownership. Will not hold that against them as I stated in prior Estate Syrah offering.

Thank you for your support. I hope you enjoy these wines as much as we have while tasting and making notes for this offer.

jimjacks66

quality posts: 32 Private Messages jimjacks66
chipgreen wrote:Think pepper/spice and dark fruit together, similar to blackberry as JimJacks said but with a prominent spicy component. Or, dark fruit with a "kick" to it. At least, that's what I mean when I use the term.

Thanks chipgreen for adding the spicy note that does accompany a blackberry taste which equals (I think) a brambly note.

chipgreen

renwoodwinery wrote:Thank you for your support. I hope you enjoy these wines as much as we have while tasting and making notes for this offer.

What are your thoughts afa decanting and/or aeration on the '02?

Am I wrong to think that it would not benefit from decanting but might from aeration?

EDIT: also, what is your suggestion for drinking windows for both vintages?

mbuffy

quality posts: 3 Private Messages mbuffy
chipgreen wrote:Think pepper/spice and dark fruit together, similar to blackberry as JimJacks said but with a prominent spicy component. Or, dark fruit with a "kick" to it. At least, that's what I mean when I use the term.

Ok that makes sense. For some reason, the word "bramble" makes me think of "bullnettle", which if you've ever run into, you wouldn't want your wine being like that.

Your description makes sense to me though.

I'd be in on this offer, but it is in the 90s where I live. Does woot/the winery offer a shipping delay until the fall when it is cooler, or, alternatively, refrigerated shipping like lastbottle offers?

renwoodwinery

smartheart wrote:Renwood....could you check your private woot message box please.
Thanks.

Checked and responded. Cheers!

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 158 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

mbuffy wrote:Ok that makes sense. For some reason, the word "bramble" makes me think of "bullnettle", which if you've ever run into, you wouldn't want your wine being like that.

Your description makes sense to me though.

I'd be in on this offer, but it is in the 90s where I live. Does woot/the winery offer a shipping delay until the fall when it is cooler, or, alternatively, refrigerated shipping like lastbottle offers?

per the Wine.Woot FAQ:

What about shipping during the summer months? How do I know my wine won't get damaged in the heat?
Because during the summer months, your wine will be shipped with special precautions to keep it in peak drinking condition, whether that means logistical wizardry, faster delivery, refrigerated shipping, or some combination of all three. Wine Country Connect has been helping wineries get their products to consumers come heat, humidity, or dust storm for years now. Just chill. They got this.

chipgreen

ROGETRAY wrote:per the Wine.Woot FAQ:

What about shipping during the summer months? How do I know my wine won't get damaged in the heat?
Because during the summer months, your wine will be shipped with special precautions to keep it in peak drinking condition, whether that means logistical wizardry, faster delivery, refrigerated shipping, or some combination of all three. Wine Country Connect has been helping wineries get their products to consumers come heat, humidity, or dust storm for years now. Just chill. They got this.

Is summer shipping in effect now?

MarkDaSpark

I too, won a bottle in the CA state wine lottery, but of the 2004 Renwood Grandmere Zinfandel.

Tasted with my Sister, who was down visiting Mom on her bi-weekly visits. Mom of course wanted a taste, and went "Eww, it's too harsh." (Note that Mom drinks White Zin exclusively, but always wants a taste of our red wines, and never, ever likes them. But still wants to taste them!)

Upon opening, Dark red color, both thin and thick legs. More prominent and pleasant nose of berries and sweet oak on opening which faded. Not as much fruit on the palate, hints of berries on front and back palette, and with more pepper after an hour in the glass.

2nd glass after 1.5 hours (in the bottle, no cork) after opening didn't have the nose or flavors that it had on opening, as noted on the 2002, additional air doing no favors for it.

All in all, it's a pleasant Zin on the initial opening and good for 2 to 2.5 hours after opening. Aeration might be ok but I don't believe decanting would help at all. Drink now-2014.

Sis and I would buy this at $15, but not the $20.

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 158 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

chipgreen wrote:Is summer shipping in effect now?

I know that summer technically begins in June, but I'm not certain if they have begun summer shipping quite yet. I would image they do though.

I'll contact Dave at WCC and find out. Thanks for the inquiry!

andreaserben

quality posts: 21 Private Messages andreaserben

When a neighbor illegally shot at a flock of birds, a giant wren

must have dropped a bottle in the pile of chopped wood behind our house. I dislogded it, nurtured it for a few days to let the bottle recover from that shock and finally popped the cork at night with family in town.
We were four tasters, 3 of them not drinking much wine and their descriptions were more along the line "like", "dislike".
Pour, dark red.
The nose was muted, some cherry/blackberry came through, a slight touch of (sweet?) oak, at the first sip similar impressions, smooth, did not taste much tannic, some spiciness, but it did not seem fully integrated yet.

Second pour (probably 1 hour later) - we had a glass of the 2005 R.Merlo Syrah that was left over from the previous night in between and interesting enough while people loved the Syrah the first night, the second night, in comparison with the Zin, the Zin won. (The Syrah was overly oaky for some reason - but that is another story).
It integrated very well by then, was very smooth, you do not notice the 16% alcohol.
The nose was still not overwhelming but more fruity. Red fruit and 'bramby' (collective term for blackberry/raspberry/ type fruits). This reflected in the taste, some vanilla from the oak made it through without the typical 'oak flavor', only slight spice from the alcohol, but not as much as you would expect.

What is funky are always the official 'winemakers notes' as posted on some sites - I did not get tannic at all ("The full bodied tannin structure is built for a lasting finish.") The finish was long though and lingers.

I still had some left over that I put in the fridge (rubber cab on the bottle - so oxidization yes, but not unlimited), and now am finishing it 2 days later.
Some jammyness/stewed notes came through with the 'fresh' fruit notes subsiding. It actually works well and aged the wine a bit more.

For those who are interested in the vineyards involved, I just reached out the the winery with a few questions and the winemaker David Crippen responded directly within a few hours:

Thank you for your inquiry regarding the 2004 Grandmère Zinfandel. Yes the wine was made under the previous ownership but I have been the winemaker since 2003. This was my second vintage at Renwood (after stints at Kendall-Jackson, Covey Run and Steele Wines). It was a warm vintage even by our standards and not particularly large. The original premise for this wine was as a companion wine the Grandpère vineyard. Our goal was that instead of the single vineyard GP we could have a super Old Vine blend each year from the best lots in the cellar. This wine has 96% Zinfandel and four % Syrah. Of the Zin, 65% came from the Jack Rabbit Flat Vineyard which was planted in 1917 and 25% from the Crain-Sleeper Vineyard, planted in 1972. The balance was from younger vineyards. It was aged in half American and half French oak, with 15-20% new wood (going from memory here). I have never found our Zinfandels to throw much sediment, but a bit of air when tasting will probably help. The wine was inventory that was not sold in the market but held for Library purposes. We would keep a pallet or two and release them later to the wine club. Like most Amador Zinfandels, there is a nice spice component to the wine. It is a rich wine and would probably go well with the usual suspects that pair with less tannic wines. Enjoy it as I think it is a great example of a Zinfandel at its peak.

Overall we enjoyed it and think that it is priced fair around this price tag.

andreaserben

MarkDaSpark wrote:Renwood Grandmere Zinfandel Library Mini-Vertical 4-Pack
$69.99 (Normally $135.00, 48% off List Price)

2002 Renwood Grandmere Zinfandel, Amador County 750ml 2-Pack
2004 Renwood Grandmere Zinfandel, Amador County 750ml 2-Pack
CT Links above

Winery website

Who was Cesare?

aprilbolin

quality posts: 2 Private Messages aprilbolin

How is it that NC always seems to be a dark color on the wine.woot map, but there's never anyone to split cases or interest in a wine woot meet up in the RDU area? Just wondering...

otolith

quality posts: 22 Private Messages otolith
MarkDaSpark wrote:I too, won a bottle in the CA state wine lottery, but of the 2004 Renwood Grandmere Zinfandel.

Tasted with my Sister, who was down visiting Mom on her bi-weekly visits. Mom of course wanted a taste, and went "Eww, it's too harsh." (Note that Mom drinks White Zin exclusively, but always wants a taste of our red wines, and never, ever likes them. But still wants to taste them!)

Upon opening, Dark red color, both thin and thick legs. More prominent and pleasant nose of berries and sweet oak on opening which faded. Not as much fruit on the palate, hints of berries on front and back palette, and with more pepper after an hour in the glass.

2nd glass after 1.5 hours (in the bottle, no cork) after opening didn't have the nose or flavors that it had on opening, as noted on the 2002, additional air doing no favors for it.

All in all, it's a pleasant Zin on the initial opening and good for 2 to 2.5 hours after opening. Aeration might be ok but I don't believe decanting would help at all. Drink now-2014.

Sis and I would buy this at $15, but not the $20.

Stop the presses! Sparky drank a bottle of wine!

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

rjquillin

quality posts: 174 Private Messages rjquillin
otolith wrote:Stop the presses! Sparky drank a bottle of wine!

This is entirely permissible, and predictable; it's not a bottle from his purchased inventory.

CT

renwoodwinery

klezman wrote:Cool...thanks for the info and for taking a deeper look. Transparency is excellent, imo.

Here you go...

2002 Grandmère Zinfandel
Aged: 17 months in 20% New French, 9% New American and 71% 3-year-old French & American oak
Bottled: July 2004
Alcohol: 15.5%
pH: 3.58
TA: 0.61 g/100 ml

2004 Grandmère Zinfandel
Aged: 18 months in 12% New French, 20% New American and 68% 3-year-old French & American oak
Bottled: August 2006
Alcohol: 16.0%
pH: 3.55
TA: 0.61 g/100 ml

renwoodwinery

chipgreen wrote:What are your thoughts afa decanting and/or aeration on the '02?

Am I wrong to think that it would not benefit from decanting but might from aeration?

EDIT: also, what is your suggestion for drinking windows for both vintages?

Given the age of the wine we are in agreement that decanting is not necessary. Exposure in the glass does an adequate job.

We think these are both 'drink now' wines and from others that have tasted and posted here it seems to be the consensus.

chipgreen

renwoodwinery wrote:Given the age of the wine we are in agreement that decanting is not necessary. Exposure in the glass does an adequate job.

We think these are both 'drink now' wines and from others that have tasted and posted here it seems to be the consensus.

Thanks for your response. I was thinking the '04 might last a few more years since it was aged a little longer, in a higher percentage of new oak (and is of course, two years younger than the '02).

jmdavidson

quality posts: 57 Private Messages jmdavidson

While I don’t live in California, I, too, won a bottle in the California State Lottery. Imagine that! I decided that, based on a planned menu, I would have a couple of nights for drinking zinfandel this week. So, Monday night I opened a bottle of 2007 Wellington Zin, Meeks Hilltop Ranch. Wellington seemed like a no-brainer since his wines have been up on wine.woot within the last two weeks. This was an easy drinking, cherry prominent wine that was still on the young side, but quite good.

Last night, I opened a bottle of the 2002 Renwood Grandmere Zin, which I think is grandmother in French if it spelled grand-mère. Upon PnP, using a Riedel glass, I noticed the wine looked a little light. I figured being in the bottle for 11 years would have darkened it. Upon swirling it, the wine clung to the top of the glass and the legs were slow to appear. There was some slight brownish bricking on the edges. The only smell I got was of oak and virtually no bouquet. It reminded of a weak port. The initial taste was of fruit that was a little stewed, including being a little on the sweet side. Not raisin-like or anything to indicate an oxidized wine. So, this is probably attributed to being an 11 year old wine. The finish was also a little dry, which was surprising. After seeing that it was abv of 15.5%, I was expecting it to be a little hot, but it was’t. So, at this initial phase, I’m not getting alot of anything. I figured I had better let it sit.

With no decanting/no venturing, I came back to try this an hour later. Now there was some plum to go with the stewy fruit and oak. I made burgers on the grill, which should have been a good pairing, but it wasn’t. The wine was drinking better by itself. I did not detect any spice or pepper. I decided to try this wine every fifteen minutes for the next hour. I found that it kept improving. It got softer (less harsh) and the prominent flavors were plum, possibly vanilla and the stewy fruit. I would have liked to have tried this wine when it was younger, because then I would be able to say, without hesitation, that the fruit is starting to fade. SWMBO, who tasted this with me every step of the way, enjoyed it and would drink it again. I probably would not based on my tastes and preferences. If you decide to buy this wine, I would open it and drink it between hours 1 and 3 of being opened.

renwoodwinery

jmdavidson wrote:While I don’t live in California, I, too, won a bottle in the California State Lottery. Imagine that! I decided that, based on a planned menu, I would have a couple of nights for drinking zinfandel this week. So, Monday night I opened a bottle of 2007 Wellington Zin, Meeks Hilltop Ranch. Wellington seemed like a no-brainer since his wines have been up on wine.woot within the last two weeks. This was an easy drinking, cherry prominent wine that was still on the young side, but quite good.

Last night, I opened a bottle of the 2002 Renwood Grandmere Zin, which I think is grandmother in French if it spelled grand-mère. Upon PnP, using a Riedel glass, I noticed the wine looked a little light. I figured being in the bottle for 11 years would have darkened it. Upon swirling it, the wine clung to the top of the glass and the legs were slow to appear. There was some slight brownish bricking on the edges. The only smell I got was of oak and virtually no bouquet. It reminded of a weak port. The initial taste was of fruit that was a little stewed, including being a little on the sweet side. Not raisin-like or anything to indicate an oxidized wine. So, this is probably attributed to being an 11 year old wine. The finish was also a little dry, which was surprising. After seeing that it was abv of 15.5%, I was expecting it to be a little hot, but it was’t. So, at this initial phase, I’m not getting alot of anything. I figured I had better let it sit.

With no decanting/no venturing, I came back to try this an hour later. Now there was some plum to go with the stewy fruit and oak. I made burgers on the grill, which should have been a good pairing, but it wasn’t. The wine was drinking better by itself. I did not detect any spice or pepper. I decided to try this wine every fifteen minutes for the next hour. I found that it kept improving. It got softer (less harsh) and the prominent flavors were plum, possibly vanilla and the stewy fruit. I would have liked to have tried this wine when it was younger, because then I would be able to say, without hesitation, that the fruit is starting to fade. SWMBO, who tasted this with me every step of the way, enjoyed it and would drink it again. I probably would not based on my tastes and preferences. If you decide to buy this wine, I would open it and drink it between hours 1 and 3 of being opened.

Quality post. Thank you for your detailed notes. A long time resident dug up the original winemaker notes and just sent them to me...

WINEMAKER’S NOTES
The 2002 Grandmère Zinfandel is a light garnet red with slight brick tones on
the edge. The aroma of this wine welcomes the drinker with its soft, yet
complex fruit. Raspberry and clove mid-palate essences balance the wine as it
finishes with a rich texture of vanilla and caramel. The elegant, soft round
tannin structure is built for a lasting finish.

MarkDaSpark

andreaserben wrote:Who was Cesare?

You mean Caesare Belvano, the Elvis Impersonator?

Or Cesare Borgia, Duke of Valentinois and Cardinal of Rome?

Or did you mean our very own Sole Absolute Triple Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme and Keeper of the CT Links? Because he was on vacation, and should be back on duty with tonight's offer.

MarkDaSpark

rjquillin wrote:This is entirely permissible, and predictable; it's not a bottle from his purchased inventory.

rpm

quality posts: 172 Private Messages rpm

I generally like aged Zinfandel, and I've been known to keep them more than 20 years in the case of some 1970s.

This one, given the high alcohol, overripe fruit aromas/flavors almost universally described, and the fragility tasters have noted, is probably not my style, even based on the original winemaker's notes which talk about vanilla (which usually reflects oak tannin) and caramel (which often reflects very-to-over-ripe fruit and/or residual sugar)

Someone asked about brambly earlier: I think of it as an aroma (and flavor related to the aroma) that reminds me of the way a bramble bush smells on a warm Indian Summer day after the berries are picked or fallen.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

btphillips

quality posts: 4 Private Messages btphillips
andreaserben wrote:When a neighbor illegally shot at a flock of birds, a giant wren

must have dropped a bottle in the pile of chopped wood behind our house. I dislogded it, nurtured it for a few days to let the bottle recover from that shock and finally popped the cork at night with family in town.
We were four tasters, 3 of them not drinking much wine and their descriptions were more along the line "like", "dislike".
Pour, dark red.
The nose was muted, some cherry/blackberry came through, a slight touch of (sweet?) oak, at the first sip similar impressions, smooth, did not taste much tannic, some spiciness, but it did not seem fully integrated yet.

Second pour (probably 1 hour later) - we had a glass of the 2005 R.Merlo Syrah that was left over from the previous night in between and interesting enough while people loved the Syrah the first night, the second night, in comparison with the Zin, the Zin won. (The Syrah was overly oaky for some reason - but that is another story).
It integrated very well by then, was very smooth, you do not notice the 16% alcohol.
The nose was still not overwhelming but more fruity. Red fruit and 'bramby' (collective term for blackberry/raspberry/ type fruits). This reflected in the taste, some vanilla from the oak made it through without the typical 'oak flavor', only slight spice from the alcohol, but not as much as you would expect.

What is funky are always the official 'winemakers notes' as posted on some sites - I did not get tannic at all ("The full bodied tannin structure is built for a lasting finish.") The finish was long though and lingers.

I still had some left over that I put in the fridge (rubber cab on the bottle - so oxidization yes, but not unlimited), and now am finishing it 2 days later.
Some jammyness/stewed notes came through with the 'fresh' fruit notes subsiding. It actually works well and aged the wine a bit more.

For those who are interested in the vineyards involved, I just reached out the the winery with a few questions and the winemaker David Crippen responded directly within a few hours:

Overall we enjoyed it and think that it is priced fair around this price tag.

That bird looks like a swallow carrying a coconut, but I can't tell if it's an African or European swallow. Please elaborate!

andreaserben

btphillips wrote:That bird looks like a swallow carrying a coconut, but I can't tell if it's an African or European swallow. Please elaborate!

A California wine-carrying wREN, living in the WOODs.

chipgreen

2002 Renwood Grandmere Zin, day 2:
PnP from refrigerated, vacu-vin'd bottle. Allowed to warm in the glass for 20 minutes. Still slightly chilled upon tasting.

This held up well overnight. Better than expected given my experience yesterday of having left it in the glass for a bit too long.

Muted nose, at least partially due to the fact that it is slightly chilled. Of my 3 tasting points yesterday (PnP, 45 minutes, 3 hours), it tastes most like it did after 45 minutes but leaning more towards the 3 hour mark than the PnP flavor profile.

So, while there is still some pretty good raspberry/vanilla cream and bramble on the palate, there is also a hint of stewed prunes in the background. The tannins are still firm and this is pairing wonderfully with some Amish "Marble Cheese" from the Middlefield Cheese Co.

Nom, nom, sip, sip, nom, nom, sip.

kaolis

quality posts: 27 Private Messages kaolis
rpm wrote:I generally like aged Zinfandel, and I've been known to keep them more than 20 years in the case of some 1970s.

This one, given the high alcohol, overripe fruit aromas/flavors almost universally described, and the fragility tasters have noted, is probably not my style, even based on the original winemaker's notes which talk about vanilla (which usually reflects oak tannin) and caramel (which often reflects very-to-over-ripe fruit and/or residual sugar)

Someone asked about brambly earlier: I think of it as an aroma (and flavor related to the aroma) that reminds me of the way a bramble bush smells on a warm Indian Summer day after the berries are picked or fallen.

Bramble bush is a blackberry bush..so that pretty much agrees with previous descriptions. But to say that the aroma smells like the bush itself, not the berry, after the berries have been picked, specifically on an Indian Summer day, seems to be a bit of hyperbole.

mho

Cheers!

renwoodwinery

I'm not sure if these are make or break but I finally got the full notes from the original sources. (PDF files)

2002 Grandmere Zinfandel

2004 Grandmere Zinfandel

rjquillin

quality posts: 174 Private Messages rjquillin
andreaserben wrote:A California wine-carrying wREN, living in the WOODs.

groan.

CT