andreaserben

quality posts: 21 Private Messages andreaserben
rjquillin wrote:groan.

groan --> moan
Renwood --> wrenwoot

cortot20

quality posts: 162 Private Messages cortot20
rpm wrote:I generally like aged Zinfandel, and I've been known to keep them more than 20 years in the case of some 1970s.

This one, given the high alcohol, overripe fruit aromas/flavors almost universally described, and the fragility tasters have noted, is probably not my style, even based on the original winemaker's notes which talk about vanilla (which usually reflects oak tannin) and caramel (which often reflects very-to-over-ripe fruit and/or residual sugar)

Someone asked about brambly earlier: I think of it as an aroma (and flavor related to the aroma) that reminds me of the way a bramble bush smells on a warm Indian Summer day after the berries are picked or fallen.

We had the ridge zin from 87' 89' and 91' this year at a woot gathering in SoCal. They were still beautiful wines and drank wonderfully for their age. I don't recall the alc on those bottles but I am sure it was a bit lower.

CT

renwoodwinery

quality posts: 17 Private Messages renwoodwinery

Thanks to everyone for their participation.

With just a short time left I encourage a last minute frenzy. This is a great deal!
(said the marketing guy).

Please email woot with your feedback and requests. We are excited to offer 'exclusives' to woot, so please ask away.

Cheers!
Scott

klezman

quality posts: 130 Private Messages klezman
cortot20 wrote:We had the ridge zin from 87' 89' and 91' this year at a woot gathering in SoCal. They were still beautiful wines and drank wonderfully for their age. I don't recall the alc on those bottles but I am sure it was a bit lower.

One of them was in the 15% range, iirc, but overall the flavour profiles were more towards the red fruit and I don't recall anything stewed. Just lots of deliciousness.

2014: 57 bottles. Last wine.woot: 2011 Wellington Cab & Merlot, Roessler 2009 Bluejay, 2010 Bell Cabernet
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

rpm

quality posts: 183 Private Messages rpm
klezman wrote:One of them was in the 15% range, iirc, but overall the flavour profiles were more towards the red fruit and I don't recall anything stewed. Just lots of deliciousness.

Paul Draper's Ridge Zins often come in in the high 14% range, occasional around 15% or just a bit over. Ridge is one of extremely few wineries who can make this work, be balanced, and age-worthy without excessive heat. Even so, I am happier with his Zins when they are around 14% or even below. As you note, he tends to red fruit, not prunes/stewed fruit.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

richardhod

quality posts: 261 Private Messages richardhod
rpm wrote:I generally like aged Zinfandel, and I've been known to keep them more than 20 years in the case of some 1970s.

This one, given the high alcohol, overripe fruit aromas/flavors almost universally described, and the fragility tasters have noted, is probably not my style, even based on the original winemaker's notes which talk about vanilla (which usually reflects oak tannin) and caramel (which often reflects very-to-over-ripe fruit and/or residual sugar)

Someone asked about brambly earlier: I think of it as an aroma (and flavor related to the aroma) that reminds me of the way a bramble bush smells on a warm Indian Summer day after the berries are picked or fallen.

It's funny, but although I like a lot of the wines you do, my Zinfandel tastes have gone the other way. It's such a lively fruit, I reckon you either want it austere and trying to be like sort of a less-complex zingy Merlot with more kick, or (maybe as here) ripe, dark, fruity, fun, and ridiculous!

I reckon if a Zin is done well in the ripe style it's amazing, fun and doesn't aspire to be austere, balanced or for pairing with partridge!

The Redemption from Alexander Valley Vineyards is like that. From a woot trio, big brother of the weedy Sin Zin, it's just all dark fruit, fun, and cojones.

If these are that full of spheres, and lively to boot, then they may well be worth a punt. I see Zin as a grape where a winemaker can make a populist, accessible wine with some ripeness and depth if you want, but certainly with a lot of enjoyment!

rpm

quality posts: 183 Private Messages rpm
richardhod wrote:It's funny, but although I like a lot of the wines you do, my Zinfandel tastes have gone the other way. It's such a lively fruit, I reckon you either want it austere and trying to be like sort of a less-complex zingy Merlot with more kick, or (maybe as here) ripe, dark, fruity, fun, and ridiculous!

I reckon if a Zin is done well in the ripe style it's amazing, fun and doesn't aspire to be austere, balanced or for pairing with partridge!

The Redemption from Alexander Valley Vineyards is like that. From a woot trio, big brother of the weedy Sin Zin, it's just all dark fruit, fun, and cojones.

If these are that full of spheres, and lively to boot, then they may well be worth a punt. I see Zin as a grape where a winemaker can make a populist, accessible wine with some ripeness and depth if you want, but certainly with a lot of enjoyment!

Not so much. I want Zinfandel to taste and smell like Zinfandel, pretty much the way it did from the time people started using it to make red wine in California through the mid-1970s, when the vogue for massive, high alcohol, overripe fruit, Zins began. And, btw, the very first of them that I recall, the 1976 Montevina from Amador County, was a charming wine.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!