trifecta

quality posts: 69 Private Messages trifecta

It's time to host another NorCal event down in the South Bay. It will be at our place on June 22nd. Come help us ring in Summer with a fun tasting event.

We'll plan on getting started at 4pm opening bottles and setting out snacks. Folks can filter in, but please try to make it by around 5 so that we can set out the lineup.

The theme for the night is a Cab Franc centered tasting. No need for 100% franc, but would need to be the major component of the blend. I have a couple that should be singing right now.

The main thing is to get together and share some really great wine with good friends who share a passion for the good stuff.

Based on previous gatherrings, a bottle per person works out well. So start scrounging up the good stuff!

It would be great to meet some other wooters from the bay area we haven't met before, as well as see some who we haven't seen in quite a while.

I have 5 decanters, so if folks could bring a few more it would help.

I will have the grill going, so please bring your own protein (or veggie) for that and a side dish or dessert to share. I'll make sure we have additional munchies available.

Cheers!

Attending:
trifecta
trifecta +1
ajrod27
bsevern
bsevern +1
CAgrl
CAgrl +1
andreaserben
random122
webdev511

Maybe:
trifecta +2
Tassadar2k03
Tassadar2k03 +1

Regrets:
Neilfindswine
andreaserben +1

Wine List:
1998 Walla Walla Vintner Cabernet Franc (Columbia Valley)
2004 Meeker Cabernet Franc (Anderson Valley)
2004 Moon Mountain Vineyard Cabernet Franc Estate Grown (Sonoma Valley)
2004 DeRose Port (Cabernet Franc), Cienega Valley
2005 Teldeschi Cabernet Franc (Dry Creek)
2007 Wellington Cab Franc (Sonoma)
2008 C.G. di Arie Cabernet Franc, Sierra Foothills
2009 White Cottage Ranch Cab Franc Howell Mountain
2009 Philippe Delesvaux Anjou (Loire Valley, Anjou-Saumur)
2010 Palatine Hills Estate Cabernet Franc Rosé (Niagra, Ontario)
2010 Couly-Dutheil Chinon
2010 Braganini Reserve Cabernet Franc (Michigan)
2010 DeRose Cabernet Franc, Cienega Valley

bsevern

quality posts: 109 Private Messages bsevern

I like both ideas, although I'm much more intrigued by the "Bring your Best" night!

Minimum MSRP of $100+ would be cool....I'm sure we all have something stashed in our cellars that would fit the bill

cmaldoon

quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon
bsevern wrote:I like both ideas, although I'm much more intrigued by the "Bring your Best" night!

Minimum MSRP of $100+ would be cool....I'm sure we all have something stashed in our cellars that would fit the bill

My opinion, biased by the fact that Rebecca is out of town and I likely am too, is you should do the Cab Franc! I'd love to do the "Ringer" tasting as Neil put it. Lets do that one... Next time :-)

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

trifecta

cmaldoon wrote:My opinion, biased by the fact that Rebecca is out of town and I likely am too, is you should do the Cab Franc! I'd love to do the "Ringer" tasting as Neil put it. Lets do that one... Next time :-)

Ah yes... "Ringer". I was trying to remember how he put it. While I can respect your not wanting to miss the "Ringer", if the group will swings that way....

rjquillin

quality posts: 170 Private Messages rjquillin
trifecta wrote:Ah yes... "Ringer". I was trying to remember how he put it. While I can respect your not wanting to miss the "Ringer", if the group will swings that way....

So, all would brown bag it in, sit it down, shuffle, someone else would number, all would consume, then the reveal?

Interesting...

CT

bsevern

rjquillin wrote:So, all would brown bag it in, sit it down, shuffle, someone else would number, all would consume, then the reveal?

Interesting...

Not sure if that was the intent, but that would certainly make it interesting.

There would be a minimal MSRP set...there have been a tasting or two I've been to that some are bringing $100 bottles and others are bringing $10 bottles, which would defeat the purpose of the "Bring your Best" night.

trifecta

bsevern wrote:Not sure if that was the intent, but that would certainly make it interesting.

There would be a minimal MSRP set...there have been a tasting or two I've been to that some are bringing $100 bottles and others are bringing $10 bottles, which would defeat the purpose of the "Bring your Best" night.

I have never been to a woot tasting and seen someone bring a $10 RSP bottle. Definitely a need for a minimum, but it is also important to make this approachable for everyone. I don't have any problem sharing my higher end wines with someone who is genuinely interested, but just can't afford to buy them.

If we are getting into the situation where folks would have to stretch to the min (and possibly not attend because of it), and others would be stingy and only bring a bottle that fits the min requirement, it would be defeating the purpose. In that case I would rather just do the cab franc and have everyone feel comfortable.

There is also another caveat to consider, and that is rarity. If you have a particularly old or rare wine, that wasn't particularly expensive, it could still be a ringer.

EDIT: I just looked at my CT and I don't have a single bottle that is over $100 SRP. I must not be in the same league as you . Regardless, we can't exclude the host!

trifecta

Here are some potential bottles I am considering for each theme:

Ringer:
-1974 Sonoma Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon Alexander's Crown Vineyard (Sonoma County, Alexander Valley)

*This was the very first single vineyard Cabernet every bottled (licensed and sold, probably a few homemade or under the tables before) in Sonoma County. Sonoma Vineyards later became Rodney Strong, and they are still producing Alexander's Crown Cab

-1985 Christian Brothers Cabernet
-1979 Concannon Petite Sirah (magnum)

Cab Franc:
-2004 Meeker Cabernet Franc (Alexander Valley)
-1998 Walla Walla Vintners Cabernet Franc (Columbia Valley)

bsevern

trifecta wrote:I have never been to a woot tasting and seen someone bring a $10 RSP bottle. Definitely a need for a minimum, but it is also important to make this approachable for everyone. I don't have any problem sharing my higher end wines with someone who is genuinely interested, but just can't afford to buy them.

If we are getting into the situation where folks would have to stretch to the min (and possibly not attend because of it), and others would be stingy and only bring a bottle that fits the min requirement, it would be defeating the purpose. In that case I would rather just do the cab franc and have everyone feel comfortable.

There is also another caveat to consider, and that is rarity. If you have a particularly old or rare wine, that wasn't particularly expensive, it could still be a ringer.

EDIT: I just looked at my CT and I don't have a single bottle that is over $100 SRP. I must not be in the same league as you . Regardless, we can't exclude the host!

OK, OK, good points

If we go Cab Franc I have:

2009 Philippe Delesvaux Anjou
2009 Flora Springs Limited Reserve Cabernet Franc
2001 and/or 2004 Moon Mountain Vineyard Cabernet Franc Estate Grown

If we go the other route....I'm sure I can round up something interesting.

CAGrl

quality posts: 13 Private Messages CAGrl

I don't have any ringers that are currently drinkable. I do have some that are 2004-2006 cabs that I would love to drink, but they're probably in their dumb phase right now.

For cab franc, I have Wellington and White Cottage. Not sure of the years yet.

bsevern

CAGrl wrote:I don't have any ringers that are currently drinkable. I do have some that are 2004-2006 cabs that I would love to drink, but they're probably in their dumb phase right now.

2004 cabs are actually drinking really well right now.

I haven't tried many Cab Francs at all, but I do recall trying the White Cottage at the woot tasting last summer and it was really good (honestly does White Cottage make a bad wine?), but no clue on the Wellington.

trifecta

Calling ajrod27 and Neilfindswine....

Cab Franc or "Ringer"??

andreaserben

quality posts: 21 Private Messages andreaserben

Would love to join - I happen to be in the area that weekend, but traveling from another destination, not from home - making it logistically difficult to bring something unless I pick it up at BevMo or so... if I join, I would bring company (local friends I would be staying with).

neilfindswine

quality posts: 168 Private Messages neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

trifecta wrote:Calling ajrod27 and Neilfindswine....

Cab Franc or "Ringer"??

I was going to suggest 'domestic pinot Grigio under $11'. Whatever the group decides is alright with me.

I report to winedavid39...
...I like getting PM's from wannabe rodents...

andreaserben

trifecta wrote:IThe other idea would be a "Bring your Best" night, where we all dig deep and bring a special bottle to put together a really impressive lineup not to be seen again. I

Frankly, I do not like the idea.
In a potentially larger gathering where easily 10, 20 or more bottles will be tasted, at one point it is impossible to really appreciate the killer wines, since you cannot put enough attention to it.
Maybe you guys have gatherings so often that it makes sense to theme it... I am already happy to meet fellow wooters (+friends) of all sorts, sizes and budgets.
My opinion about a wine gathering is like my opinion I have about gifts - it matters that what you bring you thought about why you want to bring/share it.
I would not consider a three-buck-chuck industrial mass-produced blend-wine appropriate - but if there is a wine that for some reason is unique, interesting, intriguing, controversial, overlooked - even if affordable, then it is not a bad thing.

bsevern

neilfindswine wrote:I was going to suggest 'domestic pinot Grigio under $11'. Whatever the group decides is alright with me.

Sadly, I could do that, I have one bottle of 2010 Piccolo Wine Company Pinot Grigio Piro Piro Piccolo left

I'm down with whatever you guys decide....although the ringer sounds like a lot of fun.

trifecta

andreaserben wrote:Frankly, I do not like the idea.
In a potentially larger gathering where easily 10, 20 or more bottles will be tasted, at one point it is impossible to really appreciate the killer wines, since you cannot put enough attention to it.

I don't know about 20 plus wines. I think the most we've hit is 14 with some half bottles mixed in. I understand your point, but it is also a great chance to be able to try many great wines and you only had to buy one.

andreaserben wrote:
Maybe you guys have gatherings so often that it makes sense to theme it...

Themes are pretty much par for the course recently. They let us really dive in and learn some specifics. Recently we have done Vintage Cab, Vintage Pinot, Vintage Merlot, and '99 classified Bordeaux (2nd Cru).

trifecta

Updated initial post.

We're going with Cab Franc on this one. We can do the Ringer tasting next time!

ajrod27

quality posts: 41 Private Messages ajrod27
trifecta wrote:Calling ajrod27 and Neilfindswine....

Cab Franc or "Ringer"??

I have only one bottle that meets the ringer criteria (two if you count magnums) and it needs a few more years. I guess Cab Franc will have to do this time!

Since trifecta has the 2005 Meeker on his list, I'll bring a 2005 Teldeschi Cabernet Franc Pedroni Vineyard, Dry Creek Valley; to compare and contrast. I can also bring a second bottle, either Cab Franc rose or ice wine. Any preference?

trifecta

ajrod27 wrote:I have only one bottle that meets the ringer criteria (two if you count magnums) and it needs a few more years. I guess Cab Franc will have to do this time!

Since trifecta has the 2005 Meeker on his list, I'll bring a 2005 Teldeschi Cabernet Franc Pedroni Vineyard, Dry Creek Valley; to compare and contrast. I can also bring a second bottle, either Cab Franc rose or ice wine. Any preference?

My '05s are in long term storage out of state, but I do have the '04s. The Teldeschi sounds awesome, I have one or two of those as well, but again not available.

The cab franc rose might be a nice palate cleanse.

After the Francs have gone home I have other bottles we can move on to as well....

trifecta

bsevern wrote:OK, OK, good points

If we go Cab Franc I have:

2009 Philippe Delesvaux Anjou
2009 Flora Springs Limited Reserve Cabernet Franc
2001 and/or 2004 Moon Mountain Vineyard Cabernet Franc Estate Grown

The Flora Springs is probably awesome, but Cab Franc can be pretty tight on the nose and palate when young. Maybe the older Moon Mtn's will be closer to their prime.

CAGrl wrote:

I like the sound of the White Cottage, never tried them before.

CAGrl

trifecta wrote:I like the sound of the White Cottage, never tried them before.

I think I'll bring both. I have 2 bottles (I believe) left of White Cottage and 2-3 bottles of Wellington. Curious to see how they're tasting.

Tried White Cottage last year and I remember liking it a lot. And thought it was great QPR. My MIL thought it was drinking a lot more expensive than what I paid for it.

So I'll bring 2009 White Cottage Ranch Cab Franc Howell Mountain and 2007 Wellington Cab Franc.

What should I bring for food?

trifecta

CAGrl wrote:I think I'll bring both. I have 2 bottles (I believe) left of White Cottage and 2-3 bottles of Wellington. Curious to see how they're tasting.

So I'll bring 2009 White Cottage Ranch Cab Franc Howell Mountain and 2007 Wellington Cab Franc.

What should I bring for food?

I added your bottles to the list. I will get back to you about the food. Maybe we can still tie in the "Bring your Best" and apply it to a food dish....(like whatever you are best at making, not SRP )

We'll have the grill available and folks can bring whatever protein they want to have. Side dishes we can coordinate after I talk with SWMBO.

trifecta

andreaserben wrote:Would love to join - I happen to be in the area that weekend, but traveling from another destination, not from home - making it logistically difficult to bring something unless I pick it up at BevMo or so... if I join, I would bring company (local friends I would be staying with).

It will be fun to have you. Where are you traveling from? Close to our place there are two wine shops that I would highly recommend over Bevmo, both for selection and price. They are The Wine Club on Coleman and Artisan Wine Depot in Mountain View on El Camino. You will have much better luck finding Cab Franc there.

Are your friends into wine? Just let me know how many it will be, as we will have to cap it at some point because our place isn't the biggest.

neilfindswine

quality posts: 168 Private Messages neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

..eyeing a bottle or two... stand by....

I report to winedavid39...
...I like getting PM's from wannabe rodents...

andreaserben

trifecta wrote:It will be fun to have you. Where are you traveling from? Close to our place there are two wine shops that I would highly recommend over Bevmo, both for selection and price. They are The Wine Club on Coleman and Artisan Wine Depot in Mountain View on El Camino. You will have much better luck finding Cab Franc there.

Are your friends into wine? Just let me know how many it will be, as we will have to cap it at some point because our place isn't the biggest.

One is quite a bit into wine and he said 'count me in', the two others not sure if they will be joining - have not responded to me yet.

trifecta

andreaserben wrote:One is quite a bit into wine and he said 'count me in', the two others not sure if they will be joining - have not responded to me yet.

Sounds good. Just let me know.

CAGrl

By the way, I also have a bottle of the Chateau Montelena Cab Franc. Hmmm. Choices to be made.

trifecta

CAGrl wrote:By the way, I also have a bottle of the Chateau Montelena Cab Franc. Hmmm. Choices to be made.

No choice needed! Just bring it all! .

If you had to pick two out of the 3, I vote (as if I have one) for the White Cottage and Chateau Montelena.

I am also seeking out a bottle or two of some french stuff (Loire Valley, Chinon).

ajrod27

CAGrl wrote:By the way, I also have a bottle of the Chateau Montelena Cab Franc. Hmmm. Choices to be made.

You brought a bottle to Scotts house for the DD gathering right? If so, that's goooood stuff

andreaserben

trifecta wrote:Close to our place there are two wine shops that I would highly recommend over Bevmo, both for selection and price. They are The Wine Club on Coleman and Artisan Wine Depot in Mountain View on El Camino. You will have much better luck finding Cab Franc there.

Hmmm - better than BevMo "5 cent" on the second bottle offers? Admittedly you have to be lucky to see something you want offered in a "5 cent" mode, but hard to beat when it hits.

ajrod27

trifecta wrote:No choice needed! Just bring it all! .

I am also seeking out a bottle or two of some french stuff (Loire Valley, Chinon).

I had some stuff from Loire when I was on vacation in San Siego. Totally different from Cali, if you can imagine , but very interesting; riper actually. I prefered the Cali stuff but what you're looking for might be different....I hope!

bsevern

I'll bring a bottle of 2009 Philippe Delesvaux Anjou from Loire Valley, Anjou-Saumur, Anjou, and 2004 Moon Mountain Vineyard Cabernet Franc Estate Grown - Sonoma Valley.

Please add my +1......I could probably be enticed to trade some good cigars for wine

trifecta

andreaserben wrote:Hmmm - better than BevMo "5 cent" on the second bottle offers? Admittedly you have to be lucky to see something you want offered in a "5 cent" mode, but hard to beat when it hits.

Pretty much every bottle I have bought from the 5 cent sale has been returned over the last couple years. I don't even try anymore. Other than a couple high end bottles, it seems like they are just moving plonk.

It did come in handy when I was looking for a buddy's wedding though. We had to taste and return a lot of bottles before we found one red and one white that was ok and met the budget.

Both shops I mentioned have good selections of high and low price wines.

trifecta

ajrod27 wrote:I had some stuff from Loire when I was on vacation in San Siego. Totally different from Cali, if you can imagine , but very interesting; riper actually. I prefered the Cali stuff but what you're looking for might be different....I hope!

I had a tasty Chinon a couple weekends back while on vacation. I would agree that the ones I have tried are a bit riper than the CA baseline, but also tend to have a bit more funk and less vegetal. I'll see what I can find, should be a fun comparison (albeit a small sample size).

trifecta

bsevern wrote:I'll bring a bottle of 2009 Philippe Delesvaux Anjou from Loire Valley, Anjou-Saumur, Anjou, and 2004 Moon Mountain Vineyard Cabernet Franc Estate Grown - Sonoma Valley.

Please add my +1......I could probably be enticed to trade some good cigars for wine

The Anjou sounds interesting. Looking forward to it. The '04 will be a nice Anderson/Sonoma comparison too.

Updated initial post to add bottles to the wine list and add your +1.

I'm sure we can make some sort of deal on wine for cigars...

CAGrl

I think I'll bring Wellington and White Cottage. We were able to taste Chateau Montelena at Scott Harvey's so I'd like to try the other 2 this time.

trifecta

trifecta wrote:Close to our place there are two wine shops that I would highly recommend over Bevmo, both for selection and price. They are The Wine Club on Coleman and Artisan Wine Depot in Mountain View on El Camino. You will have much better luck finding Cab Franc there.

I was at The Wine Club yesterday for a quick Rhone tasting, so I took a look at what they had for Cab Franc. They had one Chinon that I picked up and couldn't really find any domestic Cab Franc's. From perusing Artisan Wine Depot's website, it looks like they have a dozen or so to choose from across a wide price range.

bsevern

trifecta wrote:I was at The Wine Club yesterday for a quick Rhone tasting, so I took a look at what they had for Cab Franc. They had one Chinon that I picked up and couldn't really find any domestic Cab Franc's. From perusing Artisan Wine Depot's website, it looks like they have a dozen or so to choose from across a wide price range.

K&L Wines has over fifty 100% cab franc wines listed with a nice mix of French and Californian wines.

klezman

quality posts: 119 Private Messages klezman

Cab Franc! Why didn't this tasting happen when I was still in the area?! Sigh.
Maybe the next gathering ay my place will be Cab Franc. I have a nice selection of those, including some aged Niagara examples and icewine.

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT