5%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 188 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

Atlas Peak Spring Mountain Cabernet Sauvignon 2-Pack
$89.99 (Normally $184.00, 51% off List Price)

2005 Atlas Peak Cabernet Sauvignon, Spring Mountain District
Cellar tracker link above

Previous offer (different year):
Spring Mtn 3 pack on 12/15/12 with 2006 Spring Mtn
Atlas Peak 2004 Cabernet Sauvignon - 2 Pack on 11/17/10 with 2004 Spring Mtn

Winery website

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

bsevern

quality posts: 110 Private Messages bsevern

2005 Spring Mountain Napa Cab......ding, ding, ding, we have a winner folks!!

tytiger58

quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58

Awww crap had to do it..

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

rjquillin

quality posts: 189 Private Messages rjquillin
tytiger58 wrote:Awww crap had to do it..
tytiger58 wrote:Awww crap had to do it..

So whadda you two know?
[edit] Hey! I've got the '06 and didn't know it!

CT

cortot20

quality posts: 163 Private Messages cortot20

I so want to be all over this but absolutely should not. So today I will keep my money. Remember when we got the 04's about 3 years ago for $35 a bottle shipped. That was awesome!

Edited for truthiness.

CT

cortot20

quality posts: 163 Private Messages cortot20
rjquillin wrote:So whadda you two know?

This is awesome mountain cab. Have not had the 05' but the 04's are big mountain cabs, very tannic but will settle down with some air.

CT

NedDawg

quality posts: 34 Private Messages NedDawg

tytiger58

quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58
rjquillin wrote:So whadda you two know?
[edit] Hey! I've got the '06 and didn't know it!

All I know is I love mountain cabs from great/good vintages

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

pfajardo19

quality posts: 9 Private Messages pfajardo19

Not the greatest CT reviews for the 2003 and 2004. Just 89-91 and comments weren't that compelling either. Would expect a lot more from a Mtn Reserve Cab. Any tasting notes to refute the mediocre CT comments/scores? I still have 3 bottles left of 2005 Atlas Peak Mt. Veeder I bought for $35 each from WSpies and I'm not excited to open the other 3. Checking my 2012 notes, it was a little thin, green and unbalanced for my taste. Okay, but even at $35, I would not buy again especially at $85 retail. Want good Mtn. Cab under $100, go buy a Dunn, Togni or CADE Howell Mtn (PlumpJack). Many others at this price point too!

come2thedarkside

MarkDaSpark

pfajardo19 wrote:Not the greatest CT reviews for the 2003 and 2004. Just 89-91 and comments weren't that compelling either. Would expect a lot more from a Mtn Reserve Cab. Any tasting notes to refute the mediocre CT comments/scores? I still have 3 bottles left of 2005 Atlas Peak Mt. Veeder I bought for $35 each from WSpies and I'm not excited to open the other 3. Checking my 2012 notes, it was a little thin, green and unbalanced for my taste. Okay, but even at $35, I would not buy again especially at $85 retail. Want good Mtn. Cab under $100, go buy a Dunn, Togni or CADE Howell Mtn (PlumpJack). Many others at this price point too!

It's sad when an 89 and 91 scores are considered not great.

Which wine glass did you use to drink out of? I've found that there are some that you get more green tastes with.

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark

Cellaring time left?

And the Search feature would be handy about now, since I haven't been updating CT with new WW stuff, because I haven't entered the wine club shipments to get the total for the contest. Whew! Try saying that fast three times!

Trying to figure out if I got the 2004 & 2006 so I can make a Vertical!

Go Go Gadget Wine.Woot Search Feature!

Edit: Okay, have the 2006 (set listed above). Now to try to find the 2004, which will probably be a no, since that was back in 2010. Which should have been entered in CT if I got it. And it isn't showing there.

dalematthew

quality posts: 24 Private Messages dalematthew

And, I'm in.

Also have the '06. If anyone locates the '04 - let me know!

Speed to first woot: 4m 16.996s
First sucker:tytiger58
Last wooter to woot:dalematthew
Last purchase:a few seconds ago

hogfatt

quality posts: 16 Private Messages hogfatt

I had to. I remembered this one came up a bit over a year ago when I was buying wine like gang-busters and I wanted to sleep on it..it was gone by the time I woke up.

I haven't bought wine (outside of wine clubs) in over a year, but I had to pull the trigger on this one. I have the 07 last year for our anniversary and it was so beautiful.

CT Updating, please wait....

rjquillin

MarkDaSpark wrote:Cellaring time left?

And the Search feature would be handy about now, ...

Go Go Gadget Wine.Woot Search Feature!

Did I misread?
TT told up search was back up again before she left on here vaca.

She back yet?
Miss her.

CT

rpm

quality posts: 183 Private Messages rpm

Atlas Peak makes some very fine Cabernet.

2005 was a very good year, the sort to lay down for 10 years minimum from vintage.

What's not to like here? If you really want immediate drinking, this wine may well be in its 'dumb' phase: the period in the life of serious Cabernet when the bloom of the fruit at initial release has passed, but the wine has not yet fully 'knit' remaining fruit with the more complex aromas and flavors that come with bottle age. An awkward stage for many wines and the reason most people used to say California wines did not age well: they didn't wait long enough.

Interestingly, before Prohibition (as rpm Tour participants will recall) some California producers routinely held premium Cabernet until it was 10 years from vintage before releasing it to market. One could actually purchase aged premium California wine more easily in 1913 than one can today!

Most of the time on woot lately, we've been seeing 2008, 2010 and newer wines. These are not the years you are looking for in premium Cab. Mostly not even 2006 (though there were some spectacular successes, such as Peter Wellington's 2006 Victory).

We have seen 2005 a few years ago, we saw lots of 2007, and the past year we've seen some 2009. Hopefully you followed my advice to lay down Cabernet from those years.

I would give these wines a minimum of 2 more years in the cellar, and then try one to see how they're developing.

If you've got the dosh, put in on this, not 2008 or 2010 slosh. I did.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

moondigger

quality posts: 11 Private Messages moondigger
rjquillin wrote:Did I misread?

Search was restored at least a week ago. Just checked, and it's still working.

If it were down, one could still search using Google, by prefacing the search string with a site designation. For example:

Click here for demonstration.

PTommins

quality posts: 7 Private Messages PTommins

Holy Black Tie Batman !!!

srwatters

quality posts: 0 Private Messages srwatters

In for 2. I Checked my notes on the '06 and was impressed. I have some '04 Juslyn Spring Mountain that is drinking wonderfully now so this is a no-brainer for me.

Loading up on Mountain Cabs is becoming almost as addicting as drinking them... :-)

deckerbrian

quality posts: 18 Private Messages deckerbrian

I just finished my 2006 this past weekend. While still buzzing I ordered 6 more online.

Can anyone compare the '05 and '06 to help convince me I need to get some of this too?

rpm

deckerbrian wrote:I just finished my 2006 this past weekend. While still buzzing I ordered 6 more online.

Can anyone compare the '05 and '06 to help convince me I need to get some of this too?

Although specific wines may differ, in general, both 2005 and 2007 are significantly better vintages than 2006, with better structure, longer lives, and ultimately much more sophistication among the better wines.

While 2006 was a little lost between 2005 and 2007 early on, the wines are often quite good and are probably drinking better right now than either 2005 or 2007. That will unlikely be true other than in a handful of cases in 5 or 10 years.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

woopdedoo

quality posts: 36 Private Messages woopdedoo

Grrrr ...

Was hoping to pass - then rpm chimed in.

ScottHarveyWines

quality posts: 157 Private Messages ScottHarveyWines
rpm wrote:Although specific wines may differ, in general, both 2005 and 2007 are significantly better vintages than 2006, with better structure, longer lives, and ultimately much more sophistication among the better wines.

While 2006 was a little lost between 2005 and 2007 early on, the wines are often quite good and are probably drinking better right now than either 2005 or 2007. That will unlikely be true other than in a handful of cases in 5 or 10 years.

I completely agree with RPM. We pulled our 05 off the market and went to the 06 Cathedral. Mountain vineyards also have more tannins coupled with a 3.6pH means this wine should easily be a 15 to 20 year wine.

Synos10

quality posts: 14 Private Messages Synos10
cortot20 wrote:This is awesome mountain cab. Have not had the 05' but the 04's are big mountain cabs, very tannic but will settle down with some air.

Looks like from the description that these wines will not be as tannic as perhaps the '04, as they are described as having "soft tannins." May be my novicehood, but softer tannics to me usually mean not as tannic. I'm usually a fan of wines with some more tannin on them, noting that as a wine ages those tannins will often smooth out.

That said, would love to hear a little from the wine maker. I was tempted to begin with, and with rpm chiming in, may have to break my rule about buying wine during the summer months. Its not that hot out yet, right?

deckerbrian

GREAT!!!! Now I not only have to buy this offering, but I should drink the 2006's I have on the way quicker...

Honestly, I'm not sure my palate has completely developed the taste for a fully aged great cab. I've heard I totally wasted a young JP Insignia recently, but I thought it was amazing. Decanted it for a couple hours and it was real and spectacular. Just to be safe, I did get another one and tucked it away in the fridge for a later date (or the apocalypse).

I think I'll get 6 of these and drink them at the rate of 1 every two years and keep good notes.

rpm

deckerbrian wrote:GREAT!!!! Now I not only have to buy this offering, but I should drink the 2006'a I have on the way quicker...

Honestly, I'm not sure my palate has completely developed the taste for a fully aged great cab. I've heard I totally wasted a young JP Insignia recently, but I thought it was amazing. Decanted it for a couple hours and it was real and spectacular. Just to be safe, I did get another one and tucked it away in the fridge for a later date (or the apocalypse).

I think I'll get 6 of these and drink them at the rate of 1 every two years and keep good notes.

If you have the luxury, drink the '06s over the next 5-10 years and the 05's beginning in 4-5 years and on, and 07's beginning around 2020.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

jmdavidson

quality posts: 59 Private Messages jmdavidson
rpm wrote:If you have the luxury, drink the '06s over the next 5-10 years and the 05's beginning in 4-5 years and on, and 07's beginning around 2020.

I'm getting too old to let wines sit until then. Any suggestions?

deckerbrian

jmdavidson wrote:I'm getting too old to let wines sit until then. Any suggestions?

Send them to me ;-)

deckerbrian

rpm wrote:If you have the luxury, drink the '06s over the next 5-10 years and the 05's beginning in 4-5 years and on, and 07's beginning around 2020.

I'll try that. If you pass through Iowa, let me know and I'll open some then.

woopdedoo

quality posts: 36 Private Messages woopdedoo
jmdavidson wrote:I'm getting too old to let wines sit until then. Any suggestions?

Don't let him fool you.

jhkey

quality posts: 52 Private Messages jhkey

In for the max on these. Great wine, great value.

"I double the doctor's recommendation of a glass and a half of wine a day and even treble it with a friend."
- Thomas Jefferson (CT)

MarkDaSpark

rjquillin wrote:Did I misread?

She back yet?
Miss her.

Silly Human. Not the Google Custom Search.

Stuff You Bought Search. As in did I buy any of this fine wine before?

And she's out til the 10th.

jmdavidson

quality posts: 59 Private Messages jmdavidson
woopdedoo wrote:Don't let him fool you.

60. Fooled ya. Thus, the reason why I look for web deals offering older wines. It's like having free storage.

NedDawg

quality posts: 34 Private Messages NedDawg
ScottHarveyWines wrote:I completely agree with RPM. We pulled our 05 off the market and went to the 06 Cathedral. Mountain vineyards also have more tannins coupled with a 3.6pH means this wine should easily be a 15 to 20 year wine.

Scott: This gets off topic, but 1) Do you have a guess of when your 05 will wake/wise up? 2) When you say today's offering is a 15 to 20 year wine, do mean until it enters the dumb phase?

kylemittskus

quality posts: 234 Private Messages kylemittskus
NedDawg wrote:Scott: This gets off topic, but 1) Do you have a guess of when your 05 will wake/wise up? 2) When you say today's offering is a 15 to 20 year wine, do mean until it enters the dumb phase?

Answer to 2 is 15 to 20 year wine from vintage for it's lifespan.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

jhkey

quality posts: 52 Private Messages jhkey
jmdavidson wrote:60. Fooled ya. Thus, the reason why I look for web deals offering older wines. It's like having free storage.

Wow! what's your secret? Lots of wine I hope?

"I double the doctor's recommendation of a glass and a half of wine a day and even treble it with a friend."
- Thomas Jefferson (CT)

MarkDaSpark

woopdedoo wrote:Grrrr ...

Was hoping to pass - then rpm chimed in.

Ditto.

And Scott.

Dang!

PemberDucky

quality posts: 41 Private Messages PemberDucky

Staff

moondigger wrote:Search was restored at least a week ago. Just checked, and it's still working.

If it were down, one could still search using Google, by prefacing the search string with a site designation. For example:

Click here for demonstration.

yes, we deployed fixes for the google search widget about 2 weeks ago. it should be good to go.

by "we," i mean the developer people who make the internet happen. not me. as a mod, i am merely an online babysitter.

anyhoo, is the google search function not working for folks? seems okay on my end.

-----------------------------------------------
Not sure if you should post that? This slightly-nsfw-flowchart will help.

rjquillin

PemberDucky wrote:yes, we deployed fixes for the google search widget about 2 weeks ago. it should be good to go.

by "we," i mean the developer people who make the internet happen. not me. as a mod, i am merely an online babysitter.

anyhoo, is the google search function not working for folks? seems okay on my end.

Some of us still carp on the lack of an acceptable way to search purchases. Back when, it was simple; they were all on a single (long) page. Alas, the troubles killed what was working wonderfully dead in it's tracks.

Oh, Ducky, great flowchart!

CT

Donfrank

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Donfrank

I bought the 3l Spring Mountain Magnum back in December. Maybe these will tide me over while the big boy rests.