bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
bahwm wrote:Urggggghhhhh! Annoying kids! Four more days of classes. Breathe in, breathe out! *****end rant. Thank you.*****

Kids Perspective: Annoying teachers! Four more days of classes. Breathe in, breathe out!

End of the school year = BRUTAL on everyone involved.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

otolith

quality posts: 22 Private Messages otolith
bhodilee wrote:Try this: "why do you think I care, we both know you're not going to do anything about it, don't you have girlfriends to Stooge about this crap to?"

I can't guarantee it works as well for you as it did for me. I think it was two full days before she said anything other than Hello. Hellooo. Hellooooo. to me though. Point is, I don't get this very often anymore.

I've tried this on my wife as well, especially when she's Stoogeing about me to me!

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 185 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
cmaldoon wrote:Who has been there? *Raises hand*

This is one of the things I remember from "Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus", mostly because I really didn't read it all.

Men have this "need" to fix things when we hear about it, and women just want us to listen (and not try to fix it).

But as bowtie so elegantly put it, if you don't want us to try to fix it, don't tell us about it, that's why you have girlfriends to tell it to!!!

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

otolith

bahwm wrote:Urggggghhhhh! Annoying kids! Four more days of classes. Breathe in, breathe out! *****end rant. Thank you.*****

Heh. I don't think my kids have had any homework for the past 2 weeks, which really makes me wonder why they are still in school beyond needing to be in school X amount of days to get all the funding...

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

chemvictim

quality posts: 3 Private Messages chemvictim
MarkDaSpark wrote:This is one of the things I remember from "Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus", mostly because I really didn't read it all.

Men have this "need" to fix things when we hear about it, and women just want us to listen (and not try to fix it).

But as bowtie so elegantly put it, if you don't want us to try to fix it, don't tell us about it, that's why you have girlfriends to tell it to!!!

Not exactly correct. Fix stuff all you want, but don't try to fix ME. I am imperfect but I don't need fixing, and a rundown of all the ways I could be improved is most unwelcome.

Men, remember. Maybe you think venting is stupid, useless, and a waste of your time, but I guarantee your woman puts up with useless crap from you all the time.

joelsisk

quality posts: 10 Private Messages joelsisk
ddeuddeg wrote:Cross-posting from the wrong pub:
Alrighty then, maybe I can attract some attention. Wooters, it's still not too late to contribute to a worthy cause, and help our friend PB reach his fund-raising goal.
Click here.

Yeah, I lost track of the month. Thanks for reminding us! Now he's at 85% of his goal.

InFrom

quality posts: 32 Private Messages InFrom
chemvictim wrote:Not exactly correct. Fix stuff all you want, but don't try to fix ME. I am imperfect but I don't need fixing, and a rundown of all the ways I could be improved is most unwelcome.

Men, remember. Maybe you think venting is stupid, useless, and a waste of your time, but I guarantee your woman puts up with useless crap from you all the time.

What she said.

I already saw that video this week -- my SO sent me the link a couple of days ago. "We were discussing this at our staff meeting, it's so perfect, we can approach our discussions with clients so much better! Sometimes all they want is validation!" But I couldn't help but suspect it wasn't only about the clients...

bhodilee

chemvictim wrote:Not exactly correct. Fix stuff all you want, but don't try to fix ME. I am imperfect but I don't need fixing, and a rundown of all the ways I could be improved is most unwelcome.

the problem is, if you come to me with problems then I'm going to offer solutions. That's how guys are built. I'm not trying to fix you, I'm trying to fix your problem. If you see it as "fixing you," then I can't help and you shouldn't bring it to me in the first place.

Conversely, if I come to you and say I have issue X, I'm not looking for you to listen attentively, stroke my hand and tell me how wonderful I am and this too shall pass. I'm looking for an answer to X. (which may make me an ex )

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

joelsisk

quality posts: 10 Private Messages joelsisk
bhodilee wrote:the problem is, if you come to me with problems then I'm going to offer solutions. That's how guys are built. I'm not trying to fix you, I'm trying to fix your problem. If you see it as "fixing you," then I can't help and you shouldn't bring it to me in the first place.

This is exactly it. It's a difference of perspective. And no matter how often you discuss with anyone of the opposite sex, it's still going to be a different perspective.

chipgreen

quality posts: 197 Private Messages chipgreen
joelsisk wrote:This is exactly it. It's a difference of perspective. And no matter how often you discuss with anyone of the opposite sex, it's still going to be a different perspective.

+1

chemvictim

bhodilee wrote:the problem is, if you come to me with problems then I'm going to offer solutions. That's how guys are built. I'm not trying to fix you, I'm trying to fix your problem. If you see it as "fixing you," then I can't help and you shouldn't bring it to me in the first place.

Conversely, if I come to you and say I have issue X, I'm not looking for you to listen attentively, stroke my hand and tell me how wonderful I am and this too shall pass. I'm looking for an answer to X. (which may make me an ex )

I think it depends on the nature of the problem. If I mention it's been a terrible day and I have a headache, I'm going to get cranky if you go on and on about how I drink too much coffee, need to learn to relax, stare at computer too much, etc. Instead, you could offer an aspirin or a glass of wine and keep your thoughts about my bad habits or character flaws to yourself.

I might come to you with a "problem" that I need to move something heavy. You can help out without mentioning that I'd be stronger if I worked out more.

This is what I mean by fixing ME.

Your comment made me wonder...when you complain about your coworker's appalling bathroom habits on FB, are you seeking solutions to the problem?

InFrom

quality posts: 32 Private Messages InFrom
joelsisk wrote:This is exactly it. It's a difference of perspective. And no matter how often you discuss with anyone who isn't you, it's still going to be a different perspective.

IFTFY.

It's not limited to relationships with the opposite sex. (Trust me.)

chipgreen

quality posts: 197 Private Messages chipgreen
InFrom wrote:IFTFY.

It's not limited to relationships with the opposite sex. (Trust me.)

I see what you did there.

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22
joelsisk wrote:Yeah, I lost track of the month. Thanks for reminding us! Now he's at 85% of his goal.

Thanks much to everyone, especially the last few days of contributions. Goals are just that, sometimes you meet them, sometimes you don't. I did not try as hard this year, so not surprised to be a little short. Other years, I have had to increase the goal to keep people motivated to contribute.

Thanks for the support.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

MarkDaSpark

chemvictim wrote:I think it depends on the nature of the problem. If I mention it's been a terrible day and I have a headache, I'm going to get cranky if you go on and on about how I drink too much coffee, need to learn to relax, stare at computer too much, etc. Instead, you could offer an aspirin or a glass of wine and keep your thoughts about my bad habits or character flaws to yourself.

I might come to you with a "problem" that I need to move something heavy. You can help out without mentioning that I'd be stronger if I worked out more.

Your comment made me wonder...when you complain about your coworker's appalling bathroom habits on FB, are you seeking solutions to the problem?

Then don't ask us if that outfit makes you look fat!!

I keed! I keed!

But yes, you are right in that we should light some candles and give you a back massage at that point. Anything to get rid of that headache!!!

Although I seem to remember reading/hearing that "women go into marriage expecting we will change, and men go into marriage expecting you not to change." Which seems to be mostly accurate.

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

chemvictim

MarkDaSpark wrote:Then don't ask us if that outfit makes you look fat!!

I keed! I keed!

But yes, you are right in that we should light some candles and give you a back massage at that point. Anything to get rid of that headache!!!

Although I seem to remember reading/hearing that "women go into marriage expecting we will change, and men go into marriage expecting you not to change." Which seems to be mostly accurate.

I never ask that question.

Marriage is interesting, I think my spouse and I have both changed a bunch of times over the last 13 years. We're like pokemon that way.

mommadeb1

quality posts: 18 Private Messages mommadeb1

Our last day is Friday. I (as usual) have been working everyday this week... I am not complaining, I do LOVE my job.. I just think it is strange that I usually end up working the first week and last week of school. We have a tropical storm in the gulf, so it will be raining for a while!! yippie...

mommadeb1

otolith wrote:Heh. I don't think my kids have had any homework for the past 2 weeks, which really makes me wonder why they are still in school beyond needing to be in school X amount of days to get all the funding...

My poor daughter has exams all this week. I think it cruel to give the kids a final exam the last day of school!

bahwm

quality posts: 30 Private Messages bahwm
mommadeb1 wrote:My poor daughter has exams all this week. I think it cruel to give the kids a final exam the last day of school!

So our last "Full Day of Classes" is Tuesday with a part of their Social Studies exam in the morning and shortened classes the rest of the day. We will run a separate exam schedule through the following Tuesday for the 7th & 8th grade exams--pretty much 8th grade in the AM & 7th grade in the PM. My exam is Monday, the 17th in the PM. Grades are due by 3 PM on Wednesday.
Just got back from SeaBar and got an invite to the opening of Mike's new Italian restaurant, Tappo, on Monday, the 17th from 5 - 7 PM. Guess we gotta/wanna go! That'll be my break for the day!

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

chemvictim

I drove by and they are framing our new house! It's going to be moving along quickly now! I'm excited.

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
MarkDaSpark wrote:Thank you!!!! Sheesh, Cheron gets engaged and is so busy she doesn't have time to smack people around anymore for posting in the old Pub.

Even ThunderThighs posted, and she should have known better!!! Granted, she's on Vacation, but still!

Yeah, sorry I'm a slacker these days. been moderately busy.

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
MarkDaSpark wrote:Cross Post

Cheron, I think we're gonna need a bigger club!

I'm sure I've got one around here somewhere... It may have been misplaced in the move, though.

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

mommadeb1

polarbear22 wrote:Thanks much to everyone, especially the last few days of contributions. Goals are just that, sometimes you meet them, sometimes you don't. I did not try as hard this year, so not surprised to be a little short. Other years, I have had to increase the goal to keep people motivated to contribute.

Thanks for the support.

Done! sorry it took me so long!

losthighwayz

quality posts: 59 Private Messages losthighwayz
otolith wrote:Heh. I don't think my kids have had any homework for the past 2 weeks, which really makes me wonder why they are still in school beyond needing to be in school X amount of days to get all the funding...

A school with a proactive admin and staff should be preparing students for the next grade level...no need for homework. In fact, research shows that homework has a very low impact on student achievement. Hattie released an awesome book n over 1000 metacognitive analyses in education. I am a huge proponent of little to no homework. It means nothing. Not trying to be rude or anything.

"The older I get the better I was"

rjquillin

quality posts: 178 Private Messages rjquillin

Woot servers speed:
SSSSllllllooooooowwwwwwwwww,

Is it just me?
Just did an inet speed test and it's fine, but from any of the five or six machines I have here (OsX, iOS, Linux, XP, Win7 SBServer) woot is very slow today.

Anyone else notice or having issues?

CT

MarkDaSpark

chemvictim wrote:I never ask that question.

Marriage is interesting, I think my spouse and I have both changed a bunch of times over the last 13 years. We're like pokemon that way.

So before he married you, he didn't drive pink cars?

MarkDaSpark

cheron98 wrote:Yeah, sorry I'm a slacker these days. been moderately busy.

I can't imagine why!

You've got our country's 500th anniversary to plan, your wedding to arrange, your husband to murder and Guilder to frame for it; You're swamped!

bahwm

quality posts: 30 Private Messages bahwm
rjquillin wrote:Woot servers speed:
SSSSllllllooooooowwwwwwwwww,

Is it just me?
Just did an inet speed test and it's fine, but from any of the five or six machines I have here (OsX, iOS, Linux, XP, Win7 SBServer) woot is very slow today.

Anyone else notice or having issues?

I am. Coast to coast slowness!

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

bhodilee

chemvictim wrote:I think it depends on the nature of the problem. If I mention it's been a terrible day and I have a headache, I'm going to get cranky if you go on and on about how I drink too much coffee, need to learn to relax, stare at computer too much, etc. Instead, you could offer an aspirin or a glass of wine and keep your thoughts about my bad habits or character flaws to yourself.

Aspirin would be the logical solution. Whenever my wife complains of a headache my initial response is, would you like me to get you something for it. If she says No, then I tell her I no longer wish to hear her complain. We are in agreement here. Now if this is a persistent thing, I would absolutely try to find the underlying cause and offer suggestions.

I tell my wife all the time, the only reason she keeps me around is to kill spiders and lift heavy things. I don't expect my wife to lift heavy things (you are all perverts). I also tell her it absolutely sucks to be the designated spider killer when all you want to do is burn down the house and start over somewhere else.

I know the solution, but it involves the high likelihood that I end up in jail. Also, there is at least one person who is an UNDER and not an OVER. Under makes NO SENSE and angers me greatly. I have yet to call them out in staff meeting, but that day is coming.

B is the only sane answer

bhodilee

so you get an error after 43204375290-uflkandjshe minutes, then you post again and get another error after 4587-48075280tjsanvjhuty-2834u1894 minutes, then you come back and it's posted TWICE. Nice job Niagara Falls! , nice job.

Ha, Niagara Falls! is filtered. How about amawoot?

bhodilee

losthighwayz wrote:A school with a proactive admin and staff should be preparing students for the next grade level...no need for homework. In fact, research shows that homework has a very low impact on student achievement. Hattie released an awesome book n over 1000 metacognitive analyses in education. I am a huge proponent of little to no homework. It means nothing. Not trying to be rude or anything.

I agree almost completely with this. My KINDERGARTNER had homework this year. Ridiculous.

I always argued with the teachers that if I was acing the tests, I obviously understood the concepts so I see no reason to do the homework. This worked in college, not at all in High School.

otolith

losthighwayz wrote:A school with a proactive admin and staff should be preparing students for the next grade level...no need for homework. In fact, research shows that homework has a very low impact on student achievement. Hattie released an awesome book n over 1000 metacognitive analyses in education. I am a huge proponent of little to no homework. It means nothing. Not trying to be rude or anything.

Let me rephrase...I don't think they have done much academically over the past two weeks.

Also, show me some long term research on your points above so I can bring it to our administration.

--John Muir

losthighwayz

quality posts: 59 Private Messages losthighwayz
otolith wrote:Let me rephrase...I don't think they have done much academically over the past two weeks.

Also, show me some long term research on your points above so I can bring it to our administration.

It's all in Visible Learning by John Hattie. The book is pricey but the bible for what we should be doing in Education. I will try to extrapolate pertinent info related to HW when I get to work. If not much has been done academically these past few weeks then I would be upset!

"The older I get the better I was"

otolith

losthighwayz wrote:It's all in Visible Learning by John Hattie. The book is pricey but the bible for what we should be doing in Education. I will try to extrapolate pertinent info related to HW when I get to work. If not much has been done academically these past few weeks then I would be upset!

Sounds good. I'm not sure how it would apply to our kids' school, however.

Also, as much as I despised it, I did need the homework to learn/master the topics.

--John Muir

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg
otolith wrote:

Good luck with that. My experience with the typical administrator in education circles is that, if you have a really good idea and you want it to get accepted, first you have to waltz him around until he thinks it's his idea. And every one of them has a mind like a steel trap: once it's closed, nothing gets in.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

otolith

ddeuddeg wrote:Good luck with that. My experience with the typical administrator in education circles is that, if you have a really good idea and you want it to get accepted, first you have to waltz him around until he thinks it's his idea. And every one of them has a mind like a steel trap: once it's closed, nothing gets in.

Actually, I'm not too worried about our kids' education, otherwise I would raise a stink or change schools.

--John Muir

otolith

Anyone have a recommendation for the bestest, fastest wireless router. This amped wireless router is a POS and has to go. I think I like the linksys I have, but want a router both up and downstairs.

Thanks for any input, and if you want a good deal on an amped router, lmk.

--John Muir

kylemittskus

quality posts: 231 Private Messages kylemittskus
ddeuddeg wrote:Good luck with that. My experience with the typical administrator in education circles is that, if you have a really good idea and you want it to get accepted, first you have to waltz him around until he thinks it's his idea. And every one of them has a mind like a steel trap: once it's closed, nothing gets in.

QFT!!!

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

coynedj

quality posts: 7 Private Messages coynedj

I have a boss (actually my boss' boss) who's the exact same way. Methinks this applies to more than just education.

Re homework, my kids are past that age but I always thought that the homework they got was of little value. Having heard about what they did in class, it seemed that the homework was often used to make up for a lack of focus in the classroom. This wasn't always true of course, but often enough.

I started out on Burgundy but soon hit the harder stuff. Bob Dylan, Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues

How on earth did I get 7 QPs?

MarkDaSpark

bhodilee wrote:so you get an error after 43204375290-uflkandjshe minutes, then you post again and get another error after 4587-48075280tjsanvjhuty-2834u1894 minutes, then you come back and it's posted TWICE. Nice job Niagara Falls! , nice job.

Ha, Niagara Falls! is filtered. How about amawoot?

Yep. I've learned to check (using another tab) to see if it did get posted or not, before re-posting it.

And I'm getting errors this morning still.

Edit: And it happened on this post as well, just as I was replying to a PM in another tab. Both actually went thru, but got Server errors on both.

Niagara Falls! !