cray2320

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cray2320

Hi - we are looking for a 100+ wine cooler and hope to not spend a lot of money - does anyone have any ideas?
Thanks

Chris

cmaldoon

quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon
cray2320 wrote:Hi - we are looking for a 100+ wine cooler and hope to not spend a lot of money - does anyone have any ideas?
Thanks

Chris

We have a whole 7 year thread on that topic here: Coolers

I'd recommend browsing the last 4 or so pages

Costco seems to be a decent place especially if you find a sale.

I personally have a 28 bottle cellar at home and keep the other 250+ bottles in a wine storage facility I rent shelves at.

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
cray2320 wrote:Hi - we are looking for a 100+ wine cooler and hope to not spend a lot of money - does anyone have any ideas?
Thanks

Chris

craigslist

It takes patience to find exactly what you are looking for, but thats where to find the real deal. Also, if you are looking for a 100+ bottle cooler, you might as well buy a 200+ bottle cooler, because you will need it sooner than you think.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

NedDawg

quality posts: 34 Private Messages NedDawg

With a couple caveats, I agree that Costco is a good place to buy a wine cooler. First, I have, over time, purchased 4 coolers from Costco and have noticed that the warehouses generally have better deals than Costco.com if you can get the unit home yourself. However, the ones available in the warehouses tend to range in size from ~30 to ~55 bottles, whereas you can buy large units (>400 bottles) online and the price often includes delivery. Secondly, most units they sell, including the 4 I bought, are made by VinoTemp. One of mine failed after 6 years and another after 3 years. (A third is currently making a strange fan noise.) Therefore, I consider VinoTemp to have fair reliability at best. Maybe others have had better luck. Finally, I checked at my SoCal Costco a few weeks ago, and they didn't have any wine coolers in stock. In fact, the desk told me only one SoCal warehouse had any in stock, along with the Maui Costco. So availability can be spotty.

rjquillin

quality posts: 183 Private Messages rjquillin
NedDawg wrote:Maybe others have had better luck. Finally, I checked at my SoCal Costco a few weeks ago, and they didn't have any wine coolers in stock. In fact, the desk told me only one SoCal warehouse had any in stock, along with the Maui Costco. So availability can be spotty.

San Diego Craigs list has been rich with chillers/cabinets lately.
I got my ~250 bottle unit for $200, but did have to do some, ok extensive, refurb on it. About $500 additional, but for $700 and some labor I'm very pleased, except it's now too small.

CT