3 2009 Syrah, San Antonio Valley AVA, Monterey County

Tara Bella Russian River Cabernet Sauvignon Black Tie Buy 2-Pack
$69.99 $̶1̶6̶0̶.̶0̶0̶ 56% off List Price
2010 Tara Bella Estate Cabernet Sauvignon, Russian River Valley
2009 Tara Bella Estate Cabernet Sauvignon, Russian River Valley

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

emmabean2000

quality posts: 6 Private Messages emmabean2000

Intrigued. Tell me more about the Giornata...

aprilbolin

quality posts: 2 Private Messages aprilbolin

I have tried the Tara Bella Cab. It was good, but QPR isn't great. For nearly $40/bottle, I have had better. My aunt (unaware of the price) said it was excellent.

brianterrizzi

quality posts: 18 Private Messages brianterrizzi
emmabean2000 wrote:Intrigued. Tell me more about the Giornata...

My wife Stephy and I started Giornata in 2005 to purely focus on the wines from Italy that we love. Our technique is focused on the italian way of making wine in that we emphasize balance and acidity creating wines for the dinner table. We use larger format barrels imported from Italy and even Italian Amphora. Tons more information can be found on our website, but let me know if there's any specific questions.

http://www.giornatawines.com/news---events/Newsletter

tarabellawine

quality posts: 4 Private Messages tarabellawine
aprilbolin wrote:I have tried the Tara Bella Cab. It was good, but QPR isn't great. For nearly $40/bottle, I have had better. My aunt (unaware of the price) said it was excellent.

We think your aunt has excellent taste....

cmaldoon

quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon
tarabellawine wrote:We think your aunt has excellent taste....

Laughs. Point Tara Bella.

I have 2 sets of these but haven't opened them yet. The taste I had at a woot event before the last offer though was very good. I distinctly remember a lot of jalapeño/green bell characteristics which made it taste significantly different than standard cabs from warmer areas. It also had excellent deep concentration. I look forward to popping a bottle at some point.

Is it stunning QPR? No. But it is certainly worth this price.

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
cmaldoon wrote:Is it stunning QPR? No. But it is certainly worth this price.

Absolutely agree.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

karenhynes

quality posts: 10 Private Messages karenhynes

I ordered the 2010 Premonition RRV Pinot Noir when it was offered a few weeks ago, so I decided to "take one for the team" and opened a bottle tonight.

Pop and Pour: Beautiful garnet color, clear. Nose is initially of cedar, earth, and mushroom with maybe the slightest touch of smoke. Flavorwise, I didn't pick up much of anything on the first few sips (it's prime allergy season here in Chicago....stupid cottonwood trees!)

I wandered away from my glass for a while and came back about 30 minutes or so later to a healthy dose of bright fruit (cranberry, raspberry, cherry) and those lovely earthy undertones (you know, that earthy/forest floor pinot-thing and mushroom). Not a lot of tannins here, but some nice acid. I continued sipping all evening, but forgot I was taking notes for my Woot-homework! Oooops! I would say that the flavor profile is about the same now (4+ hours later).

I'm drinking alone tonight, so I won't finish the bottle and will post additional notes tomorrow evening, if anything changes.

Overall, I like it and am happy that I purchased. Thanks Neil for finding this wine!

Cheers!

Oh...I've also tried both of the Lineshack wines in the offer (Syrah and Roussanne), but I need to hunt down my notes.....

Wine is bottled poetry - Robert Louis Stevenson

tarabellawine

cmaldoon wrote:Laughs. Point Terra Bella.

I have 2 sets of these but haven't opened them yet. The taste I had at a woot event before the last offer though was very good. I distinctly remember a lot of jalapeño/green bell characteristics which made it taste significantly different than standard cabs from warmer areas. It also had excellent deep concentration. I look forward to popping a bottle at some point.

Is it stunning QPR? No. But it is certainly worth this price.

Just for the record... it is TARA Bella..... But I'll bet you knew that......

This is an amazing price for this wine..... get it while you can......

tarabellawine

tarabellawine wrote:Just for the record... it is TARA Bella..... You're gonna love those '09s

The one you have that has that "jalapeno" characteristic we talked about before is definitely the 2010.... Weather..... That needs to be put to bed for awhile... Meanwhile the 09 is completely rockin'...

Cyradia

quality posts: 29 Private Messages Cyradia
karenhynes wrote:I ordered the 2010 Premonition RRV Pinot Noir when it was offered a few weeks ago, so I decided to "take one for the team" and opened a bottle tonight.

Pop and Pour: Beautiful garnet color, clear. Nose is initially of cedar, earth, and mushroom with maybe the slightest touch of smoke. Flavorwise, I didn't pick up much of anything on the first few sips (it's prime allergy season here in Chicago....stupid cottonwood trees!)

I wandered away from my glass for a while and came back about 30 minutes or so later to a healthy dose of bright fruit (cranberry, raspberry, cherry) and those lovely earthy undertones (you know, that earthy/forest floor pinot-thing and mushroom). Not a lot of tannins here, but some nice acid. I continued sipping all evening, but forgot I was taking notes for my Woot-homework! Oooops! I would say that the flavor profile is about the same now (4+ hours later).

I'm drinking alone tonight, so I won't finish the bottle and will post additional notes tomorrow evening, if anything changes.

Overall, I like it and am happy that I purchased. Thanks Neil for finding this wine!

Cheers!

Oh...I've also tried both of the Lineshack wines in the offer (Syrah and Roussanne), but I need to hunt down my notes.....

Thanks for these notes. I'd be interested in hearing about the Lineshack tasting notes if you find them.

karenhynes

quality posts: 10 Private Messages karenhynes
Cyradia wrote:Thanks for these notes. I'd be interested in hearing about the Lineshack tasting notes if you find them.

Ask and you shall receive!

The Syrah Notes are form the oricinal offereing back on 10-21-2012. The Roussanne notes are from the Autumn Whites Plus Offer 11-12-2012.

2009 Lineshack Sryah:
Nose of cherry which then evolved into black licorice with swirling. Lots of licorice. Taste: licorice, spice, lots of pepper, with underlying cherry notes and maybe a hint of chocolate. Some vanilla on the finish. Smooth, with some nice tannins.

2010 Lineshack Roussanne:
Lovely floral nose with lots of peach and a bit of citrus. Taste very much of peach, apricot, and a bit of honey. Nice acid, crisp and well balanced, with some nice body.

I’ve not had much Roussanne in the past. For me, this falls in the same nose/palate family as a nice Viognier. I would pair this with a panang curry chicken with jasmine rice, and actually wish I'd had a bottle to go with the curry I had last Friday night. The slightly less detailed version of my notes read "Yum...Buy".

It turns out the Roussanne has 20% Viognier blended in...and I did buy it.

Wine is bottled poetry - Robert Louis Stevenson

sdfreedive

quality posts: 24 Private Messages sdfreedive

I didn't take great notes on the Kaleidos Reds but what I remember was that I found the Morpheus to be not to my palate. I don't remember what it was but it wasn't drinkable to me.

However I really enjoyed the Osiris. Which really surprised me as I wasn't expecting much after the two bottles of Morpheus.

If the offer was just for the Osiris I'd be in but since it's still 2 Morpheus and 1 Osiris I'm passing.

aequitas111

quality posts: 2 Private Messages aequitas111
sdfreedive wrote:I didn't take great notes on the Kaleidos Reds but what I remember was that I found the Morpheus to be not to my palate. I don't remember what it was but it wasn't drinkable to me.

However I really enjoyed the Osiris. Which really surprised me as I wasn't expecting much after the two bottles of Morpheus.

If the offer was just for the Osiris I'd be in but since it's still 2 Morpheus and 1 Osiris I'm passing.

I completely agree! the Osiris was amazing stuff. Come on woot bring on the Osiris only and ill be in for 3 no second thoughts.

loveladyelectric

quality posts: 23 Private Messages loveladyelectric

Hey guys! I stumbled my way through Napa and the RRV this weekend, and hit up Tara Bella.

Their cab is definitely not the fruitier, warmer climate Napa cabs. These have a very dark, tart cherry palate with bold, greener tannins. The acid starts out pretty high on these, so I would definitely wait 4-5 years from the vintage to start drinking. I was able to try the 2011 (in barrel), 2010, and 2009 of both of their cabs, and it was nice to see the acid and tannins balance out over time. I managed to snatch a vertical of the 2008/2009/2010 of their RRV cab (non reserve.) I preferred the RRV cab because it seemed to show a bit more fruit.

Judging by the 2009, which is drinking pretty well, I will probably hold the 2008 for about a year before I open it. I think the acid on these will allow it to age well, and I would prefer the greener tannins to mellow out a bit.

This is a nice cab that will go well with food. If you prefer your wine to be a bit more acidic, the 2009 is drinking well, but I prefer to hold mine. This is definitely a good deal, especially if you have a soft spot for very small, almost garagiste, wineries.

rmm989

quality posts: 26 Private Messages rmm989
emmabean2000 wrote:Intrigued. Tell me more about the Giornata...

I wish the Il campo was a separate deal - it was probably one of the highest QPR reds I've had in a while. If you like Italian reds, I'd recommend it. It was perfect as a daily drinker.

We're drowning in white, or I'd be in on it.

CT

luisifer777

quality posts: 4 Private Messages luisifer777

Any notes or opinions about the Tara Bella, just trying to decide on it. Thanks

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
luisifer777 wrote:Any notes or opinions about the Tara Bella, just trying to decide on it. Thanks

There was a LOT of discussion on the Initial Offering Thread a few months back.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

brianterrizzi

quality posts: 18 Private Messages brianterrizzi
rmm989 wrote:I wish the Il campo was a separate deal - it was probably one of the highest QPR reds I've had in a while. If you like Italian reds, I'd recommend it. It was perfect as a daily drinker.

We're drowning in white, or I'd be in on it.

Thank you very much for the kind words on il Campo. This is actually the new vintage and I would put it even a notch above the '10. I understand that you have too many whites, but the Vermentino might be interesting as a red alternative. I fermented a portion on the skins and then aged it in a giant clay amphora. The wine has a much more spicy, savory quality than other lighter bodied Vermentino. It's a brand new release and I'm excited to get feedback as folks start getting into it. Many of my industry colleges have given good feedback so far - at least to my face ;).

Brian

tarabellawine

luisifer777 wrote:Any notes or opinions about the Tara Bella, just trying to decide on it. Thanks

ajrod27 says about this wine: I had the chance to sample this wine at the NorCal Pinot night, thanks to Neil. Here are some notes I typed on my phone.

2010 Tara Bella Estate Cabernet Sauvignon

Color: Very deep ruby

Nose: Lively nose of pickled jalapeño, olive, mushroom

Palate: blackberry, bell pepper, plum and balanced oak. Moderate tannin. Good acidity. 20+ second finish of vanilla and blackberry

This wine is definitely not your everyday cab! Unique flavors and complexity make it a must try for any cab lover. It is medium to full-bodied, but it's not a tannin monster or an oak monster. It has the complexity to satisfy drinking a la carte and the acidity to pair well with food.

tarabellawine

tarabellawine wrote:ajrod27 says about this wine: I had the chance to sample this wine at the NorCal Pinot night, thanks to Neil. Here are some notes I typed on my phone.

2010 Tara Bella Estate Cabernet Sauvignon

Color: Very deep ruby

Nose: Lively nose of pickled jalapeño, olive, mushroom

Palate: blackberry, bell pepper, plum and balanced oak. Moderate tannin. Good acidity. 20+ second finish of vanilla and blackberry

This wine is definitely not your everyday cab! Unique flavors and complexity make it a must try for any cab lover. It is medium to full-bodied, but it's not a tannin monster or an oak monster. It has the complexity to satisfy drinking a la carte and the acidity to pair well with food.

tytiger58 says about the 09: I happened to have a bottle of the 09 a couple of nights ago.

The nose was nice I got a lot of cranberries and had some floral notes, decanted for an hour and the first glass was all about cassis and tart red fruits and cassis did i mention cassis, nice tannin and acid structure, there is some greenness that I think will flesh out with time . As the wine opened up it started to take on some notes of dark fruits and some tart plum and a nice long finish. There is a lot going on with this wine and I think this wine will do very well with some cellar time. I liked this a lot!

And since I seem to be on a buying binge today i'm in for a set.

tarabellawine

loveladyelectric wrote:Hey guys! I stumbled my way through Napa and the RRV this weekend, and hit up Tara Bella.

Their cab is definitely not the fruitier, warmer climate Napa cabs. These have a very dark, tart cherry palate with bold, greener tannins. The acid starts out pretty high on these, so I would definitely wait 4-5 years from the vintage to start drinking. I was able to try the 2011 (in barrel), 2010, and 2009 of both of their cabs, and it was nice to see the acid and tannins balance out over time. I managed to snatch a vertical of the 2008/2009/2010 of their RRV cab (non reserve.) I preferred the RRV cab because it seemed to show a bit more fruit.

Judging by the 2009, which is drinking pretty well, I will probably hold the 2008 for about a year before I open it. I think the acid on these will allow it to age well, and I would prefer the greener tannins to mellow out a bit.

This is a nice cab that will go well with food. If you prefer your wine to be a bit more acidic, the 2009 is drinking well, but I prefer to hold mine. This is definitely a good deal, especially if you have a soft spot for very small, almost garagiste, wineries.

It was so great to meet you yesterday, do some tasting, check out the grounds and process and wander through the Clone 4 Cab & Clone 7 Cab vineyards..... you can see we are in for some great fruit so far this 2013 vintage...

We're having an '08 Estate right now with a gorgeously juicy Pork Milanese.....

absolutely perfect....

tarabellawine

tytiger58 says about the 09: I happened to have a bottle of the 09 a couple of nights ago.

The nose was nice I got a lot of cranberries and had some floral notes, decanted for an hour and the first glass was all about cassis and tart red fruits and cassis did i mention cassis, nice tannin and acid structure, there is some greenness that I think will flesh out with time . As the wine opened up it started to take on some notes of dark fruits and some tart plum and a nice long finish. There is a lot going on with this wine and I think this wine will do very well with some cellar time. I liked this a lot!

And since I seem to be on a buying binge today i'm in for a set.

andreaserben

quality posts: 21 Private Messages andreaserben

didn't pay attention to it - but usually a wine woot plus runs until Friday? What happened?

chipgreen

quality posts: 186 Private Messages chipgreen
andreaserben wrote:didn't pay attention to it - but usually a wine woot plus runs until Friday? What happened?

Yes and I forgot to combine something from this sale with my Planet Pluto purchase. Oops.

andreaserben

quality posts: 21 Private Messages andreaserben
chipgreen wrote:Yes and I forgot to combine something from this sale with my Planet Pluto purchase. Oops.

Still wonder about the reasoning for this to end before Friday... glitch or on purpose?