Perfect Union Napa Valley Red Blend 4-Pack
$69.99 $̶1̶3̶5̶.̶0̶0̶ 48% off List Price
2009 Perfect Union, Napa Valley Red Wine
CT link above

Winery website

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

andreaserben

quality posts: 21 Private Messages andreaserben

I was mowing the lawn to get ready for Memorial Day and found this in the midst of the dandelion massacre what a friend must have left for me on our porch:

Now, wow - what a way to start Memorial Day weekend.
Before the sun set, I decapitated - armh - uncorked the bottle and carefully checked for surprises jumping out of the bottle such as funk. None.
The nose was relatively subdued. A slight touch of oak, some fruit, a tiny bit of mocha maybe - but it was a pretty mellow, subtle nose.
So I poured and was not sure what to expect.
Quite a full mouthfeel, it was fruity, ripe - dark berries, some plum, some chocolate notes perhaps - and maybe a bit of oak.
Full-bodied.
So, while not too complex, it had enough subtleties to discover a different shade of fruit with each sip, mixed with some chocolate or so - it was not boring me.
I liked it.

I was not sure what to make of it, the flavor was not Cab not Syrah... until I read that it is actually a blend of Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, and Syrah.
It came together quite nicely. So the pretentious sounding 'harmony' actually describes it quite well.
When taking a large sip (or gulp rather), the 14.2% alcohol can bring out a bit of the heat, but otherwise this is not really noticeable.

Day 2 - the wine did not change dramatically. Maybe a bit less plum and actually it seemed a bit more tannic. Still good.

I tried it on its own and also with some pasta with marinara/red pepper/spicy sauce... it worked better as a "sipping wine".

While it is still a fairly young wine, it drinks very well now.

What do I like? I like the McClean Syrahs, I like R.Merlo Syrahs, I like the Ardente Cabernets, I like many Washingtonian Reds, I like the 'undrinkable' Fizzy Mirage when properly decanted and the fizz is gone, I even like some of the Bogle Cabs. Internationally I e.g. like good Spanish Tempranillo.
Oh, I can also drink a cheap wine - but never found a drinkable cheap Merlot - e.g. the airplane Merlots are almost undrinkable to me.

It is a well made blend and I believe it can please a wide variety of audiences - perfect for a casual holiday weekend sipping with friends.
The patriotic design works well for this time around Memorial Day or July 4 and also makes it a nice bottle to gift - though personally I think the McClean Syrah with their support for homecoming veterans makes a much better story.

At a price of $17.5 it seems to be priced fair, though not a killer-bargain. If I had the space, I would seriously consider a pack. But I got too many great bargains lately that are crowding my basement.

Third party review:
http://nhwineman.blogspot.com/2012/07/perfect-union-2009-red-wine-whitehall.html
The winery about themselves:
http://www.winetasting.com/Winery-Profiles/Whitehall-Lane-Winery

whitehalllane

quality posts: 1 Private Messages whitehalllane

We are really pleased you are enjoying this offer. And yes it's perfect for lots of gatherings. We had someone stop by the winery on Thursday and buy a case for their Rehearsal Dinner this weekend, as they prepare for their 'perfect union'. I took some to my Aunt and Uncle's 60th Wedding Anniversary to celebrate their 'perfect union'. Uncle Moe was sure we made it just for them!

Perfect Union is one of our first offering that is not a specific varietal. It is a wine to enjoy now

wisemas2

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wisemas2

How is this a good deal when the PLCB sold this same wine for $17.99 a bottle?

whitehalllane

wisemas2 wrote:How is this a good deal when the PLCB sold this same wine for $17.99 a bottle?

We wanted to give everyone across the country the opportunity to get the great deal that PA had and winewoot is making it happen.

Kev50027

quality posts: 13 Private Messages Kev50027

Uh oh, this wine has a flag on its label, and looks to patriotic. Better watch out for the IRS.

mrsjhaye

quality posts: 16 Private Messages mrsjhaye

I would be in on this for my daughter's 4th of July birthday (an annual event at our home)except WV is not on the list for shipping.

whitehalllane

Kev50027 wrote:Uh oh, this wine has a flag on its label, and looks to patriotic. Better watch out for the IRS.

Very funny. And looking at the map of where people are buying, it looks like the blue states are ahead of the red states!

whitehalllane

mrsjhaye wrote:I would be in on this for my daughter's 4th of July birthday (an annual event at our home)except WV is not on the list for shipping.

I don't know a lot about the shipping restrictions. If woot knows of a way, we might be able to make it work.

winedrew

quality posts: 6 Private Messages winedrew
whitehalllane wrote:Very funny. And looking at the map of where people are buying, it looks like the blue states are ahead of the red states!

Hello Woot Nation,

Just wanted to give a big shout out to Whitehall Lane for featuring Perfect Union today!

I think we can all say that purple states are the best!

Cheers,
Winedrew

dianefreda

quality posts: 9 Private Messages dianefreda

Decided to order and ship to Mom's in Georgia since Virginia is out of the question and lo and behold-no Georgia either!!

andreaserben

wisemas2 wrote:How is this a good deal when the PLCB sold this same wine for $17.99 a bottle?

Do they drop it off at your doorstep?

andreaserben

whitehalllane wrote:We are really pleased you are enjoying this offer.

Glad to have you - who is writing?
Winemaker? Marketing? Owner? If we would know your function it would help

whitehalllane

andreaserben wrote:Glad to have you - who is writing?
Winemaker? Marketing? Owner? If we would know your function it would help

I am the GM. Production, marketing, sales. Done it all over the last 20 years at Whitehall Lane.

winedrew

quality posts: 6 Private Messages winedrew
whitehalllane wrote:I am the GM. Production, marketing, sales. Done it all over the last 20 years at Whitehall Lane.

Thanks my friend for jumping on the boards!

Their GM is one of best in the business and I love working with him!