WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

We Love Oregon!

The Beaver State! Land of the rose and sunshine, land of the summer's breeze! The 33rd state to join the Union, but the 2nd or 3rd state in the hearts of American wine drinkers, depending on where you rank Washington! Flow on like the mighty Willamette, o wines of Oregon!

Quality Posts

Cesare

quality posts: 1595 Private Messages Cesare

Chateau Bianca 2002 Library Oregon Pinot Noir 2-Pack
$49.99 $̶1̶0̶6̶.̶0̶0̶ 53% off List Price
2002 Chateau Bianca Estate Reserve Oregon Pinot Noir, Willamette Valley

Eastburn Vineyards Oregon 2007 Pinot Noir 4-Pack
$79.99 $̶1̶5̶2̶.̶6̶0̶ 48% off List Price
2007 Eastburn Vineyards Estate Single Block Pinot Noir, Chehalem Mountains
2007 Eastburn Vineyards Estate Pinot Noir, Chehalem Mountains

Naked Winery Big Red Mixed 6-Pack
$99.99 $̶1̶7̶8̶.̶0̶0̶ 44% off List Price
2009 Diva Sangiovese, Columbia Valley, WA
2009 Naked Merlot, Columbia Valley, WA
2008 Penetration Cabernet Sauvignon, Columbia Valley, WA
2008 Committed Big Red
2010 Vixen Syrah, Rogue Valley
2008 Climax, American Red Table Wine

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

jjfahey

quality posts: 5 Private Messages jjfahey

Bought this the last time but haven't cracked one. So now tempted to re-up. Any notes out there?

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
jjfahey wrote:Bought this the last time but haven't cracked one. So now tempted to re-up. Any notes out there?

There are several items in this Plus offer, you may want to clarify which one you are referring to.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus

I have had 2 OR PNs and liked neither of them. I'm not at all writing OR PN off, but I'm leery to purchase without a direct recommendation from someone who knows my palate.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

moondigger

quality posts: 11 Private Messages moondigger

I was shocked to see anything other than Pinot Noir in this Oregon offer. Then I read the specs, and noticed that all of the non-Pinot wines are actually from Washington.

Correction: The Syrah is from Oregon. Everything else that isn't Pinot is from Washington.

jjfahey

quality posts: 5 Private Messages jjfahey
North316 wrote:There are several items in this Plus offer, you may want to clarify which one you are referring to.

Oops, my apologies ... Failed to notice the feedback was combined. I refer to Eastburn Vineyards Oregon 2007 Pinot Noir 4-Pack. Cheers!

kungpowbetty

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kungpowbetty

I'm thinking about getting the Eastburn Vineyards Oregon 2007 Pinot Noir as a gift...has anyone tried it? Any good?

neilfindswine

quality posts: 170 Private Messages neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

moondigger wrote:I was shocked to see anything other than Pinot Noir in this Oregon offer. Then I read the specs, and noticed that all of the non-Pinot wines are actually from Washington.

Correction: The Syrah is from Oregon. Everything else that isn't Pinot is from Washington.

yeah... the Naked pack contains wines made from Washington fruit, but Naked's headquarters is in Oregon, thus the inclusion.... For the record, we love Washington too!

I report to winedavid39...
...I like getting PM's from wannabe rodents...

moondigger

neilfindswine wrote:For the record, we love Washington too!

So do I.

pnonor

quality posts: 10 Private Messages pnonor

Just cracked a bottle of the 2002 Pinot Noir Chateau Bianca Reserve last night. If you missed the first offer don't miss out this time around. The color is amazing, the aromatics will swoon you, and the texture and mouth feel are to die for.

rjquillin

quality posts: 171 Private Messages rjquillin
kylemittskus wrote:I have had 2 OR PNs and liked neither of them. I'm not at all writing OR PN off, but I'm leery to purchase without a direct recommendation from someone who knows my palate.

...and little to no love from CT notes from unknown tasters. At 13.5% and 3.42pH it seems this could of held up well, but not in one opinion.
Hoping for some winery or additional community TN's on this one.

Just had a 2008 PN shootout last night, more later no that.

CT

rjquillin

pnonor wrote:Just cracked a bottle of the 2002 Pinot Noir Chateau Bianca Reserve last night. If you missed the first offer don't miss out this time around. The color is amazing, the aromatics will swoon you, and the texture and mouth feel are to die for.

Could you put this into some perspective for us? Compared to what? What are your preferences/tastes?

CT

nakeddavidb

quality posts: 16 Private Messages nakeddavidb
neilfindswine wrote:yeah... the Naked pack contains wines made from Washington fruit, but Naked's headquarters is in Oregon, thus the inclusion.... For the record, we love Washington too!

Yeah, the Columbia Valley AVA spans both Oregon and Washington state. We're in Hood River, right on the border i.e. the Columbia River and hence, source fruit from both states.

Cheers,

David B (naked winery)

pnonor

rjquillin wrote:Could you put this into some perspective for us? Compared to what? What are your preferences/tastes?

Well aged Pinot Noir is reminiscent of great Burgundy. If made well the wines will have lower ph values which will show a bit more acid when they are young. However, the benefit with age is this keeps the wine bright and fresh for a very long time. I like my PInot Noirs to be elegant with a nice balance of fruit and structure. I don't like heavy oak, over extraction, or fruit bombs. Pinot Noir is one of the most food friendly wines out there.....if it's made the right way-and this one is!

rjquillin

pnonor wrote:Well aged Pinot Noir is reminiscent of great Burgundy. If made well the wines will have lower ph values which will show a bit more acid when they are young. However, the benefit with age is this keeps the wine bright and fresh for a very long time. I like my PInot Noirs to be elegant with a nice balance of fruit and structure. I don't like heavy oak, over extraction, or fruit bombs. Pinot Noir is one of the most food friendly wines out there.....if it's made the right way-and this one is!

Kinda sounds like you may be with the winery, and just noticed your handle.
True?
Rather agreeing with your summary.
Anything else you an share regarding this?
TA perhaps?
Seems like this is a bottle to drink up soon, works for me, but just where in it's life would you speculate it to be?

Thanks.

CT

tytiger58

quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58

Drank my last bottle of the Eastburn last night, it really is quite good but needs a couple hours of air at least.

I will probably buy another set.

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

kylemittskus

pnonor wrote:Well aged Pinot Noir is reminiscent of great Burgundy.

I've been so good lately, but I have to say something here. I'm using my BS flag. This reeks of a facile marketing pitch.

There's no way a $30 bottle of PN is "reminiscent of great Burg" no matter where it's from, including Burgundy. We're talking about wine that starts at 10x the cost of these offers and quickly goes 30x more +. But here's the catch: a $30 OR PN shouldn't taste like a $400 bottle of Burg. It should taste like an OR PN and be proud of that fact. And aged OR PN, like the bottle you were describing, should taste like an aged OR PN. Everything else you said --acid levels good for aging, food friendly varietal -- I agree with. But when you throw a line in there suggesting that your $25 (!!!) bottle is reminiscent of a $100 Burg, let alone a "great Burgundy," it just hurts your credibility. We're a rather educated (if I do say so myself) group and know what is and what isn't in the wine world. And while your PN may be delicious, it doesn't compare to a "great Burgundy." But like I said earlier, it shouldn't.

I'm sorry if this comes off as unnecessarily rude. I don't mean to be rude (if I am ), but I also, sometimes to my detriment, call spades "spades."

pnonor

rjquillin wrote:Kinda sounds like you may be with the winery, and just noticed your handle.
True?
Rather agreeing with your summary.
Anything else you an share regarding this?
TA perhaps?
Seems like this is a bottle to drink up soon, works for me, but just where in it's life would you speculate it to be?

Thanks.

Very astute. Yes, I am with the winery. I don't remember the TA of this wine off the top of my head but my guess is it was in the 7.5g/l range when bottled. I still have 20+ year old Pinot Noirs in my cellar and they still are beautiful wines. Though the wine is very drinkable and something I would be willing to open and drink I still think there is plenty of life over the next 5 years.
Try some. You won't be disappointed.

pnonor

kylemittskus wrote:I've been so good lately, but I have to say something here. I'm using my BS flag. This reeks of a facile marketing pitch.

There's no way a $30 bottle of PN is "reminiscent of great Burg" no matter where it's from, including Burgundy. We're talking about wine that starts at 10x the cost of these offers and quickly goes 30x more +. But here's the catch: a $30 OR PN shouldn't taste like a $400 bottle of Burg. It should taste like an OR PN and be proud of that fact. And aged OR PN, like the bottle you were describing, should taste like an aged OR PN. Everything else you said --acid levels good for aging, food friendly varietal -- I agree with. But when you throw a line in there suggesting that your $25 (!!!) bottle is reminiscent of a $100 Burg, let alone a "great Burgundy," it just hurts your credibility. We're a rather educated (if I do say so myself) group and know what is and what isn't in the wine world. And while your PN may be delicious, it doesn't compare to a "great Burgundy." But like I said earlier, it shouldn't.

I'm sorry if this comes off as unnecessarily rude. I don't mean to be rude (if I am ), but I also, sometimes to my detriment, call spades "spades."

I'm glad you have an opinion. Perhaps you regularly drink $400 dollar bottles of Burgundy. However, I believe very strongly in the law of diminishing returns. I would rather drink great value wines from down to earth wineries than from ones that are highly overrated and yes that is calling a spade a spade.
Besides at the end of the day it is just wine and if this about getting it right or wrong-I'll leave it to those that are willing to give it a try rather than spend the day over analyzing it.

shrdlu

quality posts: 4 Private Messages shrdlu
kylemittskus wrote:I've been so good lately, but I have to say something here. I'm using my BS flag. This reeks of a facile marketing pitch.

There's no way a $30 bottle of PN is "reminiscent of great Burg" no matter where it's from, including Burgundy.

[snip]

But when you throw a line in there suggesting that your $25 (!!!) bottle is reminiscent of a $100 Burg, let alone a "great Burgundy," it just hurts your credibility. We're a rather educated (if I do say so myself) group and know what is and what isn't in the wine world. And while your PN may be delicious, it doesn't compare to a "great Burgundy." But like I said earlier, it shouldn't.

Thanks for bringing out what wasn't obvious to me. Please, pnonor, in future consider identifying yourself right away as working with the winery.

Kyle speaks for me in this case. I gently point out that many folks here have wide ranging tastes, and reasonable budgets. I like some Oregon PNs, but have also had some awful ones.

I think I'll wait until someone I know tries it...

[edit] BTW, Here is an example of a PN that Woot has offered before that I liked (as did many others).

https://www.cellartracker.com/classic/wine.asp?iWine=953362

It takes months to find a customer, but only seconds to lose one.
The good news is that we should run out of them in no time.

http://demotivators.despair.com/demotivational/disservicedemotivator.jpg

greyday

quality posts: 52 Private Messages greyday
moondigger wrote:I was shocked to see anything other than Pinot Noir in this Oregon offer. Then I read the specs, and noticed that all of the non-Pinot wines are actually from Washington.

We grow a lot of grapes here!

Also, for the record, the WA fruit here, if this is a true cv, you're talking about a division of politics only (the river is literally the border), not of region...

greyday

kylemittskus wrote:I have had 2 OR PNs and liked neither of them. I'm not at all writing OR PN off, but I'm leery to purchase without a direct recommendation from someone who knows my palate.

Which pinots? There's a lot of variation in vintage, region, and maker, just like, well, most wine. I don't know what you drank, but if they're random that could be on the level of me saying I don't like CA cabernet because I drank Columbia crest and trinity oak and didn't like either...

EDIT: this reads a bit defensively. For the record, it took me a couple years to get into OR pinot as most of the lower end wine just isn't very good (with notable exception to J Christopher's JJ, which costs $16 in stores and drinks easily in the $30-40 range...), but I have had some exceptional OR bargains on here. That said, never tried the first offer and while I'm sure I've had Eastburn before, I have no notes or memory on them, and Naked I've had a couple above average to very good glasses of. So not necessarily talking about any of these, they could be steals or they could be average, I know not. Just defending the region, from someone who currently is not involved in the industry and tends to lean toward big, jammy reds and happens to really like the PN from the cv...

greyday

Did you read his whole post? I don't think he said any of what you're calling him out for; I think what he said made sense and clarified/justified his statement perfectly...

kylemittskus

pnonor wrote:I'm glad you have an opinion. Perhaps you regularly drink $400 dollar bottles of Burgundy. However, I believe very strongly in the law of diminishing returns. I would rather drink great value wines from down to earth wineries than from ones that are highly overrated and yes that is calling a spade a spade.
Besides at the end of the day it is just wine and if this about getting it right or wrong-I'll leave it to those that are willing to give it a try rather than spend the day over analyzing it.

*Please don't read this with any angry tone or anything. As I type this, I mean nothing but a conversation about something we're both passionate about.*

I'm not sure why the sarcasm (if indeed, that's what your first sentence is -- that's how it comes off). I do not ever drink $400 Burgs, or other wines for that matter. But that wasn't my point at all. My point was simply, it seems disingenuous to a) post a review without identifying yourself as a winery rep (this actually seems quite inappropriate to me and b) to subtlety suggest that this wine is like a great Burg.

Are Burgs WAY overpirced? Very likely yes. Not the point. Would I rather drink a value wine than a $400 bottle every night? Of course. I do it all the time save for a few special occasions. Not the point either. Again, I'm not questioning your wine's QPR, style, or deliciousness (the #s look quite promising). I'm merely saying that a $400 Burg is very likely (much) better than your $25 PN. And again, there's absolutely nothing wrong with that!

boatman72

quality posts: 13 Private Messages boatman72

Wonder why Eastburn website only shows 2006 and 2007 wine?? Did they stop producing?

kylemittskus

greyday wrote:Did you read his whole post? I don't think he said any of what you're calling him out for; I think what he said made sense and clarified/justified his statement perfectly...

I did read his whole post and my two issues are outline above.

As to what OR PN I've had, we had one of the Eastburns at the So Cal gathering 2 times ago. I also tried a 2006 Z'ivo Pinot Noir Eola Amity Hills recently. And I forgot that woot had a 3-pack from the Will. valley 3-4 years ago, but all three were almost unanimously panned by everyone. I'm totally open to trying more and not at all throwing out OR with the bathwater, but I need a recommendation from someone who knows my palate before I go spending $30+ on another OR PN.

greyday

kylemittskus wrote:I did read his whole post and my two issues are outline above.

As to what OR PN I've had, we had one of the Eastburns at the So Cal gathering 2 times ago. I also tried a 2006 Z'ivo Pinot Noir Eola Amity Hills recently. And I forgot that woot had a 3-pack from the Will. valley 3-4 years ago, but all three were almost unanimously panned by everyone. I'm totally open to trying more and not at all throwing out OR with the bathwater, but I need a recommendation from someone who knows my palate before I go spending $30+ on another OR PN.

The clarification helped, but I read his post (and still do) as saying he thinks the two varietals can improve with age comparably. The high end comparison to his wines seemed to come from you, not him. All I was trying to say, it just seemed like a pretty angry response to a relatively simple opinion from my point of view. *shrug*

And I hear you, it's hard to get an accurate depiction of a region when your first few bottles are let downs (one of the reasons I've never been big on Australian wines, actually). Hmm. Most of my faves are in the mid range (but also some of them do pop up on here and that other daily wine site we're not supposed to mention). I can put together a list if you're interested, but it's neither here nor there for these since I haven't tried them...

The best bargain nw Pinot I know of is the j. Christopher "JJ". Seriously, whenever I see it in stores I buy as much as I can afford and it's usually gone like that. Sokol Blossor is another that I've never had a bad bottle of any varietal or vintage, but especially their PN. And the Plush Reserve was an unbelievable bargain at around $23/bottle...

The only Eola I've liked that I can recall offhand was the Expression 44 (which was also sold on ww). Usually they just feel too...wet, I guess, like they're watered down or something, with too little fruit.

I usually speak up emphatically on the forums when something from the nw that I love pops up.

kylemittskus

greyday wrote:The clarification helped, but I read his post (and still do) as saying he thinks the two varietals can improve with age comparably. The high end comparison to his wines seemed to come from you, not him.

*I may be beating a dead horse. If I am, tell me and we can move on.* Burgundy = PN. I saw it as he was comparing his OR PN to Burgundy, arguably the best PN-producing region in the world, especially when we start talking about "great Burgundy" (his words). I don't think I'm making that comparison, I think he did. I, of course, could be wrong, though. It happens... rarely.

moondigger

greyday wrote:And the Plush Reserve was an unbelievable bargain at around $23/bottle...

I just do not understand all the love given to the Plush Pinot Noir. I bought a four pack during a woot-off a few months ago based on the positive comments on that discussion and on previous discussions of the same wine.

My reaction after tasting the first bottle was "meh." I found it neither offensive nor exciting. It didn't pair well with the foods I tried it with. It seemed somewhat closed even after spending considerable time breathing. I never would have guessed it was a $20 bottle (woot price) if I had tasted it blind. And the idea that it's actually a $50 bottle (suggested retail) is patently absurd to me.

I really am going to have to pop another cork soon just to see if that first bottle was an outlier. But at decision time I'm having a hard time convincing myself I should open another one when I have so many other wines I know I will enjoy to choose from.

HeartbreakRidge

quality posts: 7 Private Messages HeartbreakRidge

Since Oregon Pinot has gotten thrown around here, I have to speak up because pinot noir from Scott Paul is some of my most favorite wine on the planet. By no means is it a bargain wine ($40-50 a bottle), but their flagship Audrey is like drinking well-crafted, balanced (fruit and acidity) silk. (I like their more 'mundane' Pinot lines too, but Audrey made me fall in love with them.)

neilfindswine

quality posts: 170 Private Messages neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

HeartbreakRidge wrote:Since Oregon Pinot has gotten thrown around here, I have to speak up because pinot noir from Scott Paul is some of my most favorite wine on the planet. By no means is it a bargain wine ($40-50 a bottle), but their flagship Audrey is like drinking well-crafted, balanced (fruit and acidity) silk. (I like their more 'mundane' Pinot lines too, but Audrey made me fall in love with them.)

+1. Love their wines. And to continue the Oregon/Burgundy conversation, proprietor Scott Wright is a Burg-nut- he has Burgundy importing biz as well.

I report to winedavid39...
...I like getting PM's from wannabe rodents...

rpm

quality posts: 170 Private Messages rpm

Several of the Oregon Pinots woot has had the last year or so have been very good values for money and very decent wines. I've bought and light the Eastburn, the Winter Hill and a couple of others. Also the Bianca, which is pretty good. SWMBO is a pinot lover and these wines certainly work for her at a far better price point than equivalent Burgandys.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

moondigger

rpm wrote:Several of the Oregon Pinots woot has had the last year or so have been very good values for money and very decent wines.

I got the Plush and the Winter's Hill. I am completely unimpressed by the Plush (as described above). But I like the Winter's Hill, and were it not for my current severe storage problem, would likely order more of it if it came up again.

klezman

quality posts: 121 Private Messages klezman
rpm wrote:Several of the Oregon Pinots woot has had the last year or so have been very good values for money and very decent wines. I've bought and light the Eastburn, the Winter Hill and a couple of others. Also the Bianca, which is pretty good. SWMBO is a pinot lover and these wines certainly work for her at a far better price point than equivalent Burgandys.

+1, for my tastes. Although I'm only a novice wrt Oregon Pinot. The Winter's Hill went over very well at our company's board dinner. I've also enjoyed the Expression 44 Roserock, but less so their Willakia (all from woot).

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

GSanstrum

quality posts: 0 Private Messages GSanstrum

"B" careful. There are a lot of Ducks in Oregon too. We also like the wine!!

trifecta

quality posts: 72 Private Messages trifecta
moondigger wrote:
I really am going to have to pop another cork soon just to see if that first bottle was an outlier. But at decision time I'm having a hard time convincing myself I should open another one when I have so many other wines I know I will enjoy to choose from.

What style Pinot Noir do you prefer? What are your benchmark wines for a good QPR or even just a great Pinot?

Just curious so that there is a reference point on palate.

I for one was impressed by the value play at $20 for the Plush, which is a hard price point for a good quality Pinot. My palate leans old world and I definitely don't enjoy the ripe cola style of many RRV pinots.

There is a guy who the woot community knows well who is making rock solid Pinots at extremely good QPRs... but I am afraid to let the cat out of the bag and risk limited quantities for myself

klezman

quality posts: 121 Private Messages klezman
trifecta wrote:What style Pinot Noir do you prefer? What are your benchmark wines for a good QPR or even just a great Pinot?

Just curious so that there is a reference point on palate.

I for one was impressed by the value play at $20 for the Plush, which is a hard price point for a good quality Pinot. My palate leans old world and I definitely don't enjoy the ripe cola style of many RRV pinots.

There is a guy who the woot community knows well who is making rock solid Pinots at extremely good QPRs... but I am afraid to let the cat out of the bag and risk limited quantities for myself

Ummmmm...email or pm?

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

rjquillin

trifecta wrote:There is a guy who the woot community knows well who is making rock solid Pinots at extremely good QPRs... but I am afraid to let the cat out of the bag and risk limited quantities for myself
klezman wrote:Ummmmm...email or pm?

What he said ^^^^ ...

CT