Quality Posts

Cesare

quality posts: 1564 Private Messages Cesare

The Shepherd Napa Valley Sauvignon Blanc Case
$104.99 $̶2̶2̶3̶.̶0̶0̶ 53% off List Price
The Shepherd 2011 Sauvignon Blanc
CT link above

Winery website

• Every winery needs a separate license from each state which is why your state isn't listed.
  • Wine Woot is no longer able to ship to Virginia. Click here for more info.
  • Sales tax is now calculated and charged at checkout for your location.
  • -il Cesare
    Sole Absolute Triple
    Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
    “In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

rjquillin

quality posts: 169 Private Messages rjquillin

This could well be another WD/woot sleeper.
    I've enjoyed Truchard's Tempe's from a year or two ago.
    Let the TN's commence.

CT

cortot20

quality posts: 132 Private Messages cortot20

I picked this up at FedEx today and tossed it in the freezer after work to get it chilled quickly. I was going to open it with dinner which was BBQ chicken pizza tonight but Dr. Toots was in a particularly cranky mood and so I decided to give the wine my full attention after dinner after he went to bed. My wife had a couple glasses with dinner though.

After dr. Toots went to bed I drank a couple glasses and here are my notes, BTW the bottle says produced and bottled by barn 85 not Truchard.

Clear and light muted yellow. Straight out of the refrigerated bottle it's nose is quite strong and all fresh cut grapefruit and grass. Some herbal note that's bordering on savory that I can't quite put my finger on is lingering in the background as well.
    On the tongue It doesn't come across as overly acidic despite the prevalent citrus notes but seems to coat the mouth more than other light white wines I have had in the past. With that said the wine seems to start crisp and finish with a round feel on the back of the tongue. And I would put the finish in the medium range.

As the wine warmed it took more of a lemongrass flavor that was intriguing but not necessarily better.

One of the more interesting and unusual SB's I have had in both the flavor profile and mouth feel. My wife who has recently been burnt out on the varietal didn't seem to like it much. I found it interesting but not to my taste either. It seems well made but unusual.

CT

Tunes4u

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Tunes4u

What? No Wyoming? Are you kidding me? Probably the cheapest state to get approval on!!!! LOL !

Ok...I will watch....I bet it is a two minute process....or sumpthin'.....

It is well to remember that there are five reasons for drinking wine: the arrival of a friend; one's present or future thirst; the excellence of the wine; or any other reason.

Tunes4u

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Tunes4u

Whoo! Just realized that I have been a Wine.Woot.com guy 7 years today!

I love this place, although I loved it even more early on.....

Keep on keeping on guys.....just stop selling out.....go for the long run!

Happy Woot wine birthday to me! & years!!! Today!

Tunes

It is well to remember that there are five reasons for drinking wine: the arrival of a friend; one's present or future thirst; the excellence of the wine; or any other reason.

djlund999

quality posts: 3 Private Messages djlund999

Any specs or thoughts on RS? I couldn't directly infer from Cortot20's review, and I like to steer away from hidden sugar.

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316

I literally just discovered a bottle of this 5 minutes ago....I will be posting notes this evening.

I did have to do a double-take to make sure it was the correct wine though. I have no idea how they get that wine color in the picture, because that is not what the wine looks like.

My CT
    "Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
    R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

amtruchard

quality posts: 18 Private Messages amtruchard

Hello from Napa Valley. This is my family's Sauv Blanc. Just getting going with a cup of coffee in my hand before I head out to the vineyards for the day. We haven't offerred anything on woot for a while but thought this would be a good summer sipper. Please let me know if you have any questions about the wine today.

amtruchard

Tunes4u wrote:What? No Wyoming? Are you kidding me? Probably the cheapest state to get approval on!!!! LOL !

Ok...I will watch....I bet it is a two minute process....or sumpthin'.....

Not sure why we don't have a permit for WY. I check in with the office.

amtruchard

djlund999 wrote:Any specs or thoughts on RS? I couldn't directly infer from Cortot20's review, and I like to steer away from hidden sugar.

There is no perceivable RS in this wine, it is around .07 grams per liter which in the wine world is dry.

cortot20

djlund999 wrote:Any specs or thoughts on RS? I couldn't directly infer from Cortot20's review, and I like to steer away from hidden sugar.

It came across as dry.

CT

HeartbreakRidge

quality posts: 7 Private Messages HeartbreakRidge
    cortot20 wrote:
    Clear and light muted yellow. Straight out of the refrigerated bottle it's nose is quite strong and all fresh cut grapefruit and grass.

Are talking like a good New Zealand grassy nose? I've come to really adore that in a SB.

amtruchard

HeartbreakRidge wrote:Are talking like a good New Zealand grassy nose? I've come to really adore that in a SB.

It definitely has some grapefruit aromas, although not as strong as most NZ. It has some lemongrass and lime flavors as well. Also it has bright acidity, but not as acidic as most NZs.

rjquillin

Thread hijack...

But since support has failed to answer the question posed days ago via the link.

CAS-267588-C7Y3Z7

When is SEARCH going to get tended to and FIXED? or is this just another lost feature?
    grumph.

/hijack

CT

joelsisk

quality posts: 7 Private Messages joelsisk

I'd be in for 6 bottles, not sure about a full 12. Anyone in/around Denver (and even WY) want to split?

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 547 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Tunes4u wrote:Whoo! Just realized that I have been a Wine.Woot.com guy 7 years today!

Tunes

Congrats on the Lucky 7!

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
    ••• ► Woot's Return Policy
    ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
    CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

ThunderThighs

Staff

rjquillin wrote:Thread hijack...

But since support has failed to answer the question posed days ago via the link.

CAS-267588-C7Y3Z7

When is SEARCH going to get tended to and FIXED? or is this just another lost feature?
    grumph.

/hijack

I reported it when y'all first told me. I'm asking again.

CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

rjquillin

ThunderThighs wrote:I reported it when y'all first told me. I'm asking again.

Thanks TT, you rock.

CT

pecarroll

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pecarroll
    amtruchard wrote:Not sure why we don't have a permit for WY. I check in with the office.

Try this link:http://wi.shipcompliant.com/StateDetail.aspx?StateId=42

Or call Mike Moser at 307-634-6484 ext 15. He heads the Dept.

amtruchard

pecarroll wrote:Try this link:http://wi.shipcompliant.com/StateDetail.aspx?StateId=42

Or call Mike Moser at 307-634-6484 ext 15. He heads the Dept.

Thanks for the info, but don't think we will get the permit in time for todays offering.

bolligra

quality posts: 33 Private Messages bolligra
    joelsisk wrote:I'd be in for 6 bottles, not sure about a full 12. Anyone in/around Denver (and even WY) want to split?

I will, Joel.

As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

amtruchard

I know that you won't believe this, but I just got back from Shepherding goats this morning for their annual vaccine. We named the wine "The Shepherd" for two reasons. One, we have about 100 goats on the vineyards that we use for weed control. Two, we were one of the original pioneers of Carneros (which translates to "Sheep" or "Ram" in Spanish). Hope that you enjoy our Sauvignon Blanc.

Winedavid39

quality posts: 197 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

Tunes4u wrote:Whoo! Just realized that I have been a Wine.Woot.com guy 7 years today!

Tunes

Congrats on the 7 year body of work!

and thanks for the advice!

Winedavid39

quality posts: 197 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

amtruchard wrote:I know that you won't believe this, but I just got back from Shepherding goats this morning for their annual vaccine. We named the wine "The Shepherd" for two reasons. One, we have about 100 goats on the vineyards that we use for weed control. Two, we were one of the original pioneers of Carneros (which translates to "Sheep" or "Ram" in Spanish). Hope that you enjoy our Sauvignon Blanc.

very cool. Welcome!

amtruchard

The background on this wine is that we starting making it about 3 years ago. It is all estate fruit from Carneros Napa Valley. We only do a small lot each year. We make it in a very clean style, the wine does not see any time in oak or go through any maloactic fermentation. This keeps the wine fresh and vibrant, which we feel best represents the wines of Carneros.

seamore2001

quality posts: 3 Private Messages seamore2001

I really like the Kiwi (Marlborough)Sauvignon Blanc, which have a really clean fresh taste. Most of the California SBs have a woody/oaky undertone, which is why I've stopped buying any California SBs.

Does this SB have woody notes, or is it nice and fresh?

Edit: Just saw the post, directly above! No wood. I guess I'm gonna have to talk to the household CFO about getting a case.

joelsisk

bolligra wrote:I will, Joel.

PM for you.

ipodsimpleton

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ipodsimpleton
    amtruchard wrote:I know that you won't believe this, but I just got back from Shepherding goats this morning...

So I was leaning away from a purchase because of the quantity, even with a good friend who loves summer sippers, especially whites with a hint of lime.

But the goat story got to me. Bought.

Now I'm assuming that any of us who can show evidence of a Woot purchase can get a free wine tasting at your beautiful vineyard? Please? If not, don't worry. I doubt I will be able to make it back to the west coast anytime soon.

shuree

quality posts: 1 Private Messages shuree

I just tried to buy a case but got an error in the cart that it doesn't ship to Missouri but when looking on winery site, MO is in the dropdown. ???

joelsisk

bolligra wrote:I will, Joel.

done

ipodsimpleton

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ipodsimpleton

Wow. Instead of "Ships in 3-5 business days" I got a shipping notice 2 hours after my order.

So this is definitely a message of love…

amtruchard

ipodsimpleton wrote:So I was leaning away from a purchase because of the quantity, even with a good friend who loves summer sippers, especially whites with a hint of lime.

But the goat story got to me. Bought.

Now I'm assuming that any of us who can show evidence of a Woot purchase can get a free wine tasting at your beautiful vineyard? Please? If not, don't worry. I doubt I will be able to make it back to the west coast anytime soon.

We would love to host you at the winery. We usually charge $20 for a tasting, but normally waive it with a couple bottle purchase. But if you send me a Personal Message or ask for me, Anthony, we would comp your tour and tasting.

amtruchard

shuree wrote:I just tried to buy a case but got an error in the cart that it doesn't ship to Missouri but when looking on winery site, MO is in the dropdown. ???

When we ship through woot, we can't always ship to the same states as we can directly from the winery; some of the time,it is logistics, sometimes it is the permits. Sorry for this, I just handle the grape and wine side and have someone who does the shipping compliance.

michaelvella

quality posts: 12 Private Messages michaelvella

flavor-wise, how would you compare this to some of the classic examples of sancerre?

amtruchard

michaelvella wrote:flavor-wise, how would you compare this to some of the classic examples of sancerre?

It does not quite have the minerality that you find in Sancerre but it has a little more citrus and fruit behind it.

ThunderThighs

Staff

FYI: Google Search is fixed.

cortot20

HeartbreakRidge wrote:Are talking like a good New Zealand grassy nose? I've come to really adore that in a SB.

It's a more subtle grass note. I think lemon grass is probably a better descriptor.

CT

rjquillin

ThunderThighs wrote:FYI: Google Search is fixed.

moved to the pub

CT

maurakid

quality posts: 7 Private Messages maurakid

Are there any other rats out there? I'm interested...but it's a lot of wine unless it's my kind of SB.