12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

andreaserben

quality posts: 21 Private Messages andreaserben

EDIT:
CT link:
http://www.cellartracker.com/classic/wine.asp?iWine=1290430
Previous offers buried in this list:https://www.google.com/search?q=site:wine.woot.com%2Foffers+martian+ranch
(note that tasting notes are sparse - and found more on the "mixed" pack offers than on the pure Syrah offers - watch out that this is the 2009 vintage, some people mentioned they liked the 2008 vintage).

Funny - I just opened a bottle last night from a previous purchase when they were selling a mixed pack. (Not gifted to me).
Honestly - just a coincidence.

I love my Syrahs big and meaty. Espresso/chocolate notes and I am happy.

What I found: A little (tiny) bit of smoke, not very much. Quite tart, a bit sour fruit - more cherry than blackberry in my opinion. (they claim 'blackberry')
No complexity whatsoever.
Mouthfeel was mostly watery maybe with a bit of wet stone perception (slight minerality?).

Day 2: cherry and tartness subsided, actually some blackberry now and a tiny bit of earthyness. Better than yesterday.

My thoughts: A plainly unremarkable wine (even at day 2). Neither big nor meaty. And no complexity that I could notice.
It is not bad, and definitely not a badly made wine. However - I would not buy again. (given my preferences above)
If you like some good Syrah - head over to Woot Plus right now.

In comparison - their 2009 Grenache is more interesting with its intense smoke flavors. Not everybody's thing - but at least it is unique.

rmm989

quality posts: 26 Private Messages rmm989
andreaserben wrote:
My thoughts: A plainly unremarkable wine. Neither big nor meaty. And no complexity that I could notice.
I would not buy again.
If you like some good Syrah - head over to Woot Plus right now.

In comparison - their 2009 Grenache is more interesting with its intense smoke flavors. Not everybody's thing - but at least it is unique.

How funny - I liked this and disliked the grenache for the same reasons you didn't like the syrah and liked the grenache. It's not a good syrah by any means, but the price has a solid QPR to me. the grenche tasted like those Sonoma wines that got smoke tained to me. Acrid/campfire smokiness.

CT

andreaserben

UPDATED my notes above with day 2 impressions.

rmm989 wrote:How funny - I liked this and disliked the grenache for the same reasons you didn't like the syrah and liked the grenache. It's not a good syrah by any means, but the price has a solid QPR to me. the grenche tasted like those Sonoma wines that got smoke tained to me. Acrid/campfire smokiness.

Only that Santa Ynez is very, very far away from Sonoma - over 5 hours drive. Was the Grenache harvested way later? Was there a fire nearby? No idea... but I am still giving them the benefit of the doubt.

As for QPR - I compare this Syrah with the McClean Syrahs or with the only slightly more expensive previous offers of R.Merlo Syrahs...
those were GOOD Syrahs in my opinion... so why buy a Syrah that is not a good Syrah by any means.
Anyways - to each their own.

Glad you liked it.

true559

quality posts: 25 Private Messages true559

Pales in comparison to both Syrahs on woot plus.

fredrinaldi

quality posts: 39 Private Messages fredrinaldi

nothing like stalling a woot off.

andreaserben

fredrinaldi wrote:nothing like stalling a woot off.

lol - in that sense then - this is the best Syrah ever - buy 'em all!