Raised By Wolves Bad Moon Rising Red Blend 6-Pack
$99.99 $̶2̶5̶3̶.̶0̶0̶ 60% off List Price
2010 Bad Moon Rising Red Blend, Columbia Valley
CT link above

Winery website

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

kylemittskus

quality posts: 231 Private Messages kylemittskus

This should be quite popular.

Once again, mobile site fail. Can someone post the blend, please.

Edit: CT has the info:

- 64% Cabernet Sauvignon, StoneRidge Vineyards
- 28% Merlot, StoneRidge Vineyards
- 8% Cab Franc, StoneRidge Vineyards
Barrel Ageing: 22 Months French/American Oak (15% new)
Cases Produced: 336 Cases
Alcohol: 14.1%

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

mproulx49

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mproulx49

Hey, my first " first sucker", Love me some Raised By Wolves!

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 570 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

kylemittskus wrote:This should be quite popular.

Once again, mobile site fail. Can someone post the blend, please.

What problem are you having with the mobile site? I could see them on my iPhone. Clicked on the picture to see the sale. Clicked on specs to expand the specs. The blend was there.

Feel free to PM details to reproduce and what device so I can report.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

raisedbywolves

quality posts: 34 Private Messages raisedbywolves

Hey wooters, I am checking in to see if you have any questions?

I believe this blend in my opinion is as good as the 09 Cabernet from last years offering.

-BILL

aprilbolin

quality posts: 2 Private Messages aprilbolin

Anyone in the Raleigh-Durham area want to split some, including some that is already on its way? Trying to budget both the Raised by Wolves and the McLean offerings. Can't sell wine here, but apparently splitting purchases is ok. I have some Ardente Cab (1996, 1997, 2001, 2002), California Karma, some of the every day drinkers from last week. PM me if you're interested.

dianefreda

quality posts: 9 Private Messages dianefreda
raisedbywolves wrote:Hey wooters, I am checking in to see if you have any questions?

I believe this blend in my opinion is as good as the 09 Cabernet from last years offering.

-BILL

loved, loved, loved the cab and am certainly excited about this.

smartheart

quality posts: 94 Private Messages smartheart

Tried to post this last night (and again this morning) but kept getting servers busy message....hopefully
"takes" this time.

Received bottle early enough to let this settle down a bit from shipping....stood upright to allow settling for 2 1/2 days....

More info about the wine and winery via an actual current and comrehensive website typical of other wineries would have been helpful. (I don't do Facebook for security reasons).

Bottle was identified as "red table wine"...varietal composition not listed. So table wine suggested to me a simple meal. Pizza and sandwiches. Rather then a fancier meal I might ordinarily taste with.

Opened wine.....let it stand about 60 minutes....my normal procedure would be to use my Vinturi but that's packed up at the moment. Minor legs when pouring and gently swirling....noted a full, pleasant bouquet.....a bit hard to specifically identify individual components of aroma.....somewhat floral (violets??)....also a bit woody and woodsy.

First tastes....pleasant.....just pleasant, simply pleasant....but then.... a late-emerging slight medicinal tone. Then a bit of a metallic aftertaste. Then noted a puckery sensation on inside of cheeks. Slight chemical sense.

Now for all I know at this point this may be a wine free of additives widely (and often appropriately) used among winemakers but the slight unnatural taste and aftertaste reminded me about how I have been reading lately about legislation and regulations which would require that all substances added to wine must be disclosed on labels. The wine industry will have to do some consumer education so that the wine buying public has a more sophisticated understanding of additives and what role some of them play.

The wine harmonized acceptably with the food. But I'll bet it would have been a better combination with a spicy tomato sauced pasta.

As I write this review I don't know this wine's MRSP or what good price wine.woot will offer this at in a few hours. That's been kind of fun. ((UPDATE: Deal had gone live and I see...List price of $42+ per bottle....Mama Mia....well, Woot's offering a hefty 60% discount which no doubt will catch the eye of potential buyers.))

I do suggest that the winery put more information on the label regarding the wine's varietals and %'s and also make more comprehensive information available about the wine and winery via a dedicated website.

Five hours ago I left a small amount of wine in my glass to see how it changed over time. Aroma is even more inviting. Taste is less satisfactory. I'll refrigerate tonight and post an update tomorrow if I note anything additional.

"Three be the things I shall never attain: Envy, content, and sufficient champagne."
--D. Parker

losthighwayz

quality posts: 59 Private Messages losthighwayz

Have a bottle on hand and like a true warrior will have some for breakfast to share with the community. "Forced" my wife to partake in my shenanigans. Below are my first set of notes BEFORE looking at price, specs, etc. Cheers!

RBW Bad Moon Rising

PnP
Color: ruby red, blood color, brownish tinge
Nose: pepper, vanilla extract, black cherry, wife says blueberries, 
Taste: hibiscus, dark red cherries, sof tannins, low alcohol, medium finish
Liking it so far. Recorked and will revisit later.
Guessing the blend has cab Sauv, cab franc, tempranillo, touch of zin? 
Msrp guess: 20. WW offer: $14/bottle shipped

UPDATE: four hours later...nose has opened up and reminds me of pleasant spring flowers....still getting cherries and blueberries....pepper gone. Very easy to drinking lively...not complex nor a true fruit forward CA wine though...has that WA taste I can never describe but can always recognize....anyway, this a a nice table wine that wouldair with many foods...I would be ok paying $20 at a wine shop but not more....not sure about the winery price...I don't think anyone would be disappointed going in on this but neither do I think anyone would screa, greatQPR...my two cents!

"The older I get the better I was"

liverman

quality posts: 16 Private Messages liverman
raisedbywolves wrote:Hey wooters, I am checking in to see if you have any questions?

-BILL

Hi, Bill. I've never had any of your wines, though I have seen them pass through Woot. I seem to recall that reviews have been good. (Woot: Google search does not seem to be able to pull up the old threads???)

What sort of style is this wine: fruit forward, drink young American style or the old world Bordeaux style?
The stated drinking window is through 2025. What is the acid and pH levels on this wine? For a wine with a 15-year window, should we expect to lay this down for 3-5 years or more to allow it to reach its full potential...or do you think it is fully evolved now and will hold that long?

The two reviews here differ markedly (I have never had good luck with drinking wine right after it arrived), I cannot find the reviews for the previous woots and I am trying to figure out whether I want to jump in for $100+ worth of vino on speculation

Regards,

Greg

fredrinaldi

quality posts: 35 Private Messages fredrinaldi

-BILL

I still have 14 bottles of the "Gold Standard" 2009 Cab.
In for 1

Last Wooter to Woot:
fredrinaldi

chipgreen

quality posts: 190 Private Messages chipgreen

hcnate

quality posts: 2 Private Messages hcnate

I missed out on the previous offers, so jumped on this one along with the baking stone over on Home.

Royal City (and Stoneridge) is a particular favorite of another winemaker, Charles Smith. So, this can't be bad at all.

raisedbywolves

hcnate wrote:I missed out on the previous offers, so jumped on this one along with the baking stone over on Home.

Royal City (and Stoneridge) is a particular favorite of another winemaker, Charles Smith. So, this can't be bad at all.

Stoneridge Vineyards is our family estate vineyard and rarely do even I get fruit from my own vineyard. Charles Smith contracts the whole property less a few white varietals.

raisedbywolves

liverman wrote:Hi, Bill. I've never had any of your wines, though I have seen them pass through Woot. I seem to recall that reviews have been good. (Woot: Google search does not seem to be able to pull up the old threads???)

What sort of style is this wine: fruit forward, drink young American style or the old world Bordeaux style?
The stated drinking window is through 2025. What is the acid and pH levels on this wine? For a wine with a 15-year window, should we expect to lay this down for 3-5 years or more to allow it to reach its full potential...or do you think it is fully evolved now and will hold that long?

The two reviews here differ markedly (I have never had good luck with drinking wine right after it arrived), I cannot find the reviews for the previous woots and I am trying to figure out whether I want to jump in for $100+ worth of vino on speculation

I would call it a new American style or a classic Bordeaux. It what K-Vintners call Stoneridge. With acids at 3.59 and subtle tannins that will extend its longevity.

trevindalton

quality posts: 0 Private Messages trevindalton

I can't say enough good things about the Raised by Wolves Cabernet. I had the 2008 back when it was offered on Lot 18 a couple years ago, then ordered the 09 from Woot last year and look forward to enjoying this blend. Don't even think about this offer, just do it.

trifecta

quality posts: 72 Private Messages trifecta

Heard lots of good things about RBW here. If anyone in the bay area has a couple extra let me know.

rlmanzo

quality posts: 23 Private Messages rlmanzo

2009 cab was excellent. 2010 cab and merlot also quite good. Malbec not as much...

All delicious, fruit driven wines. Not particularly complex and certainly NOT old world but delicious and well worth the money.

Reviews of this offering seem less enthusiastic but on the strength of prior wines, I'm in.

Sorry honey......

Is it broke or just fractured?

trifecta

quality posts: 72 Private Messages trifecta
smartheart wrote:
I do suggest that the winery put more information on the label regarding the wine's varietals and %'s

Typically smaller wineries don't list. The big reason is label approval. By not listing the composition, they could make Bad Moon Rising again next year and not have to jump through hoops/financial burden to get the label approved again.

A recent example that comes to mind is that Scott Harvey has (I believe this is changing with the next vintage)listed his Jana Cabernet as "Cathedral" despite the ability to label it as a single varietal. With this approach, if his blend one year fell below 75% cab, he wouldn't have to go back and get another costly label approval done.

smartheart

trifecta wrote:Typically smaller wineries don't list. The big reason is label approval. By not listing the composition, they could make Bad Moon Rising again next year and not have to jump through hoops/financial burden to get the label approved again,

Thanks for reminding me of that. But it does underscore the importance of the blend information being available online.

"Three be the things I shall never attain: Envy, content, and sufficient champagne."
--D. Parker

manny651

quality posts: 1 Private Messages manny651

Sipping the '09 cab as I type this. Ever since the first offering of the RBW cab, I've bought every one of their reds I've seen on woot. In for 1. Please keep up the great work. As long as quality and pricing don't change, I'll remain a fan.

fredrinaldi

quality posts: 35 Private Messages fredrinaldi
manny651 wrote:Sipping the '09 cab as I type this. Ever since the first offering of the RBW cab, I've bought every one of their reds I've seen on woot. In for 1. Please keep up the great work. As long as quality and pricing don't change, I'll remain a fan.

+1 so agree, RBW and Rockus Bockus some of the best Cabs Offered

chipgreen

quality posts: 190 Private Messages chipgreen
rlmanzo wrote:2009 cab was excellent. 2010 cab and merlot also quite good. Malbec not as much...

Bring back the Merlot!

smartheart

With the positive comments made on some of the Cabs folks have tasted in the past, I wish I had had the chance to experience some of those. I'll be on the lookout for them.

--D. Parker

losthighwayz

quality posts: 59 Private Messages losthighwayz

Update on my notes above

Day 2: had the f inal pour (about 2oz) from recorked bottle. Wow! The fruit has shown up as well as some complexity....defonitely better on day 2.... I suppose this means laying them for a while, right?

Verdict: good QPR at 20 delivered...not awesome, but definitely an upgrade from what I posted yesterday. Hope this helps! Now off to the waterpark with my lil boys!

"The older I get the better I was"

smartheart

I concur that the wine somehow seemed improved, relative to my inital findings, in the retasting on the second day.

--D. Parker

dianefreda

quality posts: 9 Private Messages dianefreda

This wine shipped some time ago and has still not arrived-I am worried about the heat-it's headed for Georgia!!!