moondigger

quality posts: 11 Private Messages moondigger
rjquillin wrote:I am unable to find this quote,

The name reference ("Winedavid39 wrote:") is a hyperlink. If you click it you will be taken directly to the referenced post. In this particular case, you will be taken to a previous discussion in which he made that statement.

nathanbsmith

quality posts: 3 Private Messages nathanbsmith

Seriously, I can't believe the 2005 and 2007 Syrah hasn't sold out. For those of you on the fence, get off and buy this juice. This is an incredible deal at $13 per bottle which includes shipping and taxes.

LAST PURCHASE: Creminelli Italian Salami

2014: 1 (Thanks to stick-in-the-mud buzzkilling state legislators)

2013: 183 bottles and counting
2012: 74 bottles
2011: 38 bottles

My CT

cortot20

quality posts: 153 Private Messages cortot20

I Ended up with a bottle of the 05' rose Syrah at my FedEx pickup location but I'll hold it since its sold out already but i'll make sure I put notes in CT when I drink it. Sorry guys.

CT

andreaserben

quality posts: 21 Private Messages andreaserben
rjquillin wrote:I am unable to find this quote, but I can report the 2005 Rose i still drinking quite well. Very happy I filled up when I could. Do I want more of the '05? Could help out Kyle if I did..

[edit] duh, a link. should'a caught that.

muuuuuuaaaaahahaahahaahahaaaaaaa!

chipgreen

quality posts: 197 Private Messages chipgreen
nathanbsmith wrote:Seriously, I can't believe the 2005 and 2007 Syrah hasn't sold out. For those of you on the fence, get off and buy this juice. This is an incredible deal at $13 per bottle which includes shipping and taxes.

I already have 2 bottles of each (plus 2 of the '03 stashed) but would jump on a mixed 6, (3) 2005 and (3) 2007. It would be nice if there were more buying options.

redwinefan

quality posts: 74 Private Messages redwinefan

I would be in on the 2005 Syrah if Summer Shipping were in effect. These last few weeks of May, first few weeks of June are when Wines tend to get cooked on their way to me, so I will be in a SIWBM for a bit.

"You need to invest in a corkscrew. Wine is for drinking." -- Peter Wellington

rjquillin

quality posts: 179 Private Messages rjquillin
losthighwayz wrote:I'll take three off your hands if you go in...

Done.
Send me a reminder before the next time we cross paths so I can do the delivery deed. I tend to forget those details on bottles I like.

CT

maseille07

quality posts: 0 Private Messages maseille07

I placed an order on 5/22, but the status is still "awaiting shipping." What's going on?

andreaserben

maseille07 wrote:I placed an order on 5/22, but the status is still "awaiting shipping." What's going on?

my guess: memorial day messed up the shipping schedule. fedex home delivery did not operate Tuesday (after Memorial Day) as far as I can see, and Woot/WCC tries to ship in the summer so that the bottles keep moving and not stall somewhere over the weekend. I talked to my local FedEx guy a few days ago and he said that their storage facilities are not heat controlled and sometimes are just a metal container style - which can cook the wine.
So... you would not want your wine to ship on a Wednesday for example if it only would get to your area on a Saturday morning, too late for the FedEx delivery truck to take the wine because they left in the early morning - then it would have to stay in such a warehouse until Tuesday (FedEx home does not deliver Monday)... so - two days of cooking potential.
But that is just my guess.

rjquillin

Posted elsewhere

rjquillin wrote:Neil, WD, any ETS for the McCleans?
Salivating for those Rosé's
neilfindswine wrote:I'm told they'll be going out top of next week.... They usually ship the "Q's" last...

CT

maseille07

andreaserben wrote:my guess: memorial day messed up the shipping schedule. fedex home delivery did not operate Tuesday (after Memorial Day) as far as I can see, and Woot/WCC tries to ship in the summer so that the bottles keep moving and not stall somewhere over the weekend. I talked to my local FedEx guy a few days ago and he said that their storage facilities are not heat controlled and sometimes are just a metal container style - which can cook the wine.
So... you would not want your wine to ship on a Wednesday for example if it only would get to your area on a Saturday morning, too late for the FedEx delivery truck to take the wine because they left in the early morning - then it would have to stay in such a warehouse until Tuesday (FedEx home does not deliver Monday)... so - two days of cooking potential.
But that is just my guess.

Thanks, that makes sense totally. They're being considerate about the wine quality at the expense of longer shipping time. If it goes out on Monday then I'd be happy about that :-)

maseille07

rjquillin wrote:Posted elsewhere

Very cool. Hopefully the poster is accurate :-)

moondigger

neilfindswine wrote:I'm told they'll be going out top of next week.... They usually ship the "Q's" last...

Hey Neil... I'm a bit concerned, given that my two orders have to make it all the way to NY via ground... and the weather has been hot all over. Is there any way my shipments will avoid a weekend layover somewhere?

pseudogourmet98

quality posts: 19 Private Messages pseudogourmet98
moondigger wrote:Hey Neil... I'm a bit concerned, given that my two orders have to make it all the way to NY via ground... and the weather has been hot all over. Is there any way my shipments will avoid a weekend layover somewhere?

Same here. It has been in the 90s every day.

neilfindswine

quality posts: 171 Private Messages neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

Quoting WineDavid:

The timing is of particular significance this time of year. We've gotten pretty darn good over the years of timing the packages to ensure the wine gets to you in good working order, minimizing the exposure to heat. does that mean it some times takes longer? yes. We will hold packages to ship out on a certain day of the week and release the package so that the carrier is always moving the packages through the system. Sitting idle is the enemy of wine during transit.

We've run this (logistically optimal IMO) approach since wine.woot started. Not much has changed there.

So i say trust it. all parties are very motivated to get this right. If the wine comes to you damaged (and you'll see it by the symptoms- protruding corks, leakage) it will get replaced.

thanks,

WD39

I report to winedavid39...
...I like getting PM's from wannabe rodents...

moondigger

Moved this from another discussion to here, as it's more appropriate here.

My concern (and question) was quite specific: Given that my orders have to make it from California to upstate NY via ground, what can be done to prevent the wine from sitting in a warehouse over a weekend?

I have had many items (most of them not wine) ground shipped from California to me over the years. None of them -- EVER -- has made it coast-to-coast without at least a day on the weekend or an entire weekend stalled in a warehouse or shipping truck. It may well be possible to ground ship something from California on Monday and have it arrive in Chicago or St. Louis by Friday, but I have never seen that happen to my location in upstate New York.

I have wine.woot orders shipped to my work address because during the week there is nobody at my home to sign for the packages. Unfortunately that means even if a ground shipment somehow made it to my hometown by Friday night, ready for Saturday delivery, nobody would be at work to sign for it on the weekend and the shipment will sit in a truck or warehouse until Monday.

The standard answer ("don't worry") always ends with the following sentiment: Even if something bad happens to your wine, woot will make it right by refunding or replacing your shipment. This is alright, I guess, if we're talking about a wine that is in plentiful supply. But this is it for the McCleans -- once they're gone, they're gone, and there won't be any more new vintages. A refund for damaged wine would certainly be appreciated, but not nearly as much as receiving the wine in good shape in the first place.

rjquillin

Somewhere, and I'd have to expend effort I'm just not gonna do, WD explained how trans-con wine shipments go refrigerated truck to more local distribution centers where FedEx takes over. Thus, one would speculate, any over nights/weekends would be in a controlled climate.

Correct me if I'm passing gas here.

CT

HitAnyKey42

quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42

Moondigger (and others), do you have any FedEx/Kinko's offices anywhere within a reasonable driving distance from you? If so, once you get your tracking notice, go over to the fedex website and mark the package to be held at one of those for pickup.

For example, I just got my McClean tracking notice this morning. I see it arrived at the Sacramento fedex facility Friday night (from woot) and left that facility on a truck first thing Saturday morning. I have a scheduled delivery of Friday (6/7) out here in NY. And I just logged in and set it to be sent to the Fedex location that is on my way home from work (and is open until 11pm).
I'm sure not everyone has this easy of an option, but you should check to see if there's one that works at least somewhat better for you than having wine sit over a weekend after it arrives to your location.

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

HitAnyKey42

rjquillin wrote:Somewhere, and I'd have to expend effort I'm just not gonna do, WD explained how trans-con wine shipments go refrigerated truck to more local distribution centers where FedEx takes over. Thus, one would speculate, any over nights/weekends would be in a controlled climate.

Correct me if I'm passing gas here.

This particular shipment doesn't appear to be doing that, since FedEx picked it up in Sacramento, but that may be due to the timing since it left Sacramento Saturday morning and is set to be delivered on Friday of the same week. So no sitting in warehouses over a weekend, as long as the receiver has a way to actually receive it on Friday.

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

rjquillin

Here's that shipping discussion. I got un-lazy, and while it's likely dated, I doubt the process has changed much if any.

CT

sdbcmr

quality posts: 16 Private Messages sdbcmr

Thanks, moondigger and rjquillin - both constructive posts on the topic.

I think some folks (partly because of where they live) will be more reassured than others by the woot shipping process.

Provenance is important to me, and wine is fragile. It is NOT risk-free, for me, because I have limited space (700 bottles and really only space for about 600) and so it's very inconvenient and time-consuming to bring wine in, let it rest from its travels for a few weeks, and THEN taste it, bottle by bottle ... it just isn't worth it without more reassurance than I've seen so far.

I often order wines elsewhere and have them held (cellared) through the summer until cooler weather prevails, or held through the winter until less frigid temps come along.

Today's Woot wine would have been of great interest to me. Shipping was the only obstacle, really. (Well, that and space! But I'd have dealt with the space issue if I could have more clarity about shipping. Your posts helped with that some, but with all the recent change at Woot, I'll need to see more clarity from Woot itself.)

Thanks again.

HitAnyKey42

I know mine is just the word of a customer, but I have bought over 645 bottles of wine from Woot (shipped to NY) since June 2007 and have never had a single cooked bottle.
I've had a "bad" bottle or two due to cork taint or some other issue, but never one cooked during shipping.

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

sdbcmr

quality posts: 16 Private Messages sdbcmr
HitAnyKey42 wrote:I know mine is just the word of a customer, but I have bought over 645 bottles of wine from Woot (shipped to NY) since June 2007 and have never had a single cooked bottle.
I've had a "bad" bottle or two due to cork taint or some other issue, but never one cooked during shipping.

Impressive!!

I've only had one failed shipment. It took a while to resolve, but it eventually got done.

There are very limited windows during which I'll order wine from woot, so I've bought a fair amount here, too. But I buy more where I can let them cellar it until ideal shipping weather, which is really only a few weeks in the spring and fall.

NedDawg

quality posts: 34 Private Messages NedDawg

Received notice this afternoon that the wine is on its way to SoCal. No progress info yet, but estimated delivery is tomorrow (6/4/2013).

4:50 pm PDT 6/4/2013 update: Still no progress info via FedEx tracking. I suspected that delivery today was a tad optimistic.

maseille07

I just got a notice saying that the item has shipped, although the tracking says Anticipated ship date : Fri 5/31/2013. I hope it doesn't mean it was sitting in some hot storage over the weekend.

rjquillin

maseille07 wrote:I just got a notice saying that the item has shipped, although the tracking says Anticipated ship date : Fri 5/31/2013. I hope it doesn't mean it was sitting in some hot storage over the weekend.

Highly improbable. Got my notices yesterday as well. One now scanned into the system for Wednesday delivery, others likely to follow.

CT

maseille07

This is my first purchase on wine.woot here, so I'm curious what happens if you fail to sign the shipment upon arrival.

I am working pretty much every weekday and I don't have anyone that can sign -- unless I work from home.

Can I later go to a Fedex office or something and pick it up?

HitAnyKey42

maseille07 wrote:This is my first purchase on wine.woot here, so I'm curious what happens if you fail to sign the shipment upon arrival.

I am working pretty much every weekday and I don't have anyone that can sign -- unless I work from home.

You have the Tracking number. Just go to the FedEx website and use the option to have it Held at a Fedex location of your choice.

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 169 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

maseille07 wrote:This is my first purchase on wine.woot here, so I'm curious what happens if you fail to sign the shipment upon arrival.

per the Wine.Woot FAQ:

What if I'm not around to sign for the shipment?
If no one is home, the shipper (UPS and FEDEX) will generally attempt to deliver the package two more times, and leave a notification after the third attempt with a number for you to call to arrange delivery options. If none of that works, we'll step in and contact you to resolve the sitchee-ation. We highly recommend using a business address when ordering, to ensure that a person aged 21 or over will be present to sign for this package (assuming you live in a state that allows a receptionist or receiving clerk to sign for it if you're not available to receive it personally from the carrier, and the business isn't staffed by teenagers).

maseille07

HitAnyKey42 wrote:You have the Tracking number. Just go to the FedEx website and use the option to have it Held at a Fedex location of your choice.

Wonderful, just what I needed. Thank you.

maseille07

ROGETRAY wrote:per the Wine.Woot FAQ:

What if I'm not around to sign for the shipment?
If no one is home, the shipper (UPS and FEDEX) will generally attempt to deliver the package two more times, and leave a notification after the third attempt with a number for you to call to arrange delivery options. If none of that works, we'll step in and contact you to resolve the sitchee-ation. We highly recommend using a business address when ordering, to ensure that a person aged 21 or over will be present to sign for this package (assuming you live in a state that allows a receptionist or receiving clerk to sign for it if you're not available to receive it personally from the carrier, and the business isn't staffed by teenagers).

Ah right. It must be part of the FAQ. My bad, I should've read that.

rjquillin

maseille07 wrote:Ah right. It must be part of the FAQ. My bad, I should've read that.

Not a problem, that's why we have mods, and some of the rest of us as well.
Many of us just have our local FedEx office as our default ship-to address. No worries should we forget or miss a shipment notification, it just goes to a generally A/C'd location for pickup when you can.

Welcome to WW.

CT

maseille07

rjquillin wrote:Not a problem, that's why we have mods, and some of the rest of us as well.
Many of us just have our local FedEx office as our default ship-to address. No worries should we forget or miss a shipment notification, it just goes to a generally A/C'd location for pickup when you can.

Welcome to WW.

Thank you. I am looking forward to the first purchase. I am hopeful it'll be great.

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 169 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

rjquillin wrote:Not a problem, that's why we have mods, and some of the rest of us as well.

Welcome to WW.

bolligra

quality posts: 33 Private Messages bolligra

Received my shipment of rosé today: 5 '05s and one '07. Not really my idea of a mixed set, but oh well, I'll survive. 😛

As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

cortot20

quality posts: 153 Private Messages cortot20
bolligra wrote:Received my shipment of rosé today: 5 '05s and one '07. Not really my idea of a mixed set, but oh well, I'll survive. 😛

If it makes you feel better, some of us didn't get the rosé at all.

CT

trifecta

quality posts: 73 Private Messages trifecta
cortot20 wrote:If it makes you feel better, some of us didn't get the rosé at all.

Yup. Hopefully they can dig up another aged Rose offer.

losthighwayz

quality posts: 59 Private Messages losthighwayz
bolligra wrote:Received my shipment of rosé today: 5 '05s and one '07. Not really my idea of a mixed set, but oh well, I'll survive. 😛

I got 11 205 and one 07. Not happy at all

"The older I get the better I was"

andreaserben

trifecta wrote:Yup. Hopefully they can dig up another aged Rose offer.

I asked what they (WD's team) might have some left of - the Rose is a goner. (Not sure if Mr McClean might have a private stash he is willing to get rid of.)

srpete

quality posts: 1 Private Messages srpete

I got my yesterday. Also got 5 '05's and 1 '07. Wonder if anyone got a 2006.