WootBot


quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

McClean Vineyards: The Last Syrah

You think you'll always have enough time for another glass, another bottle, another McClean Vineyards dea. Until one day, that time runs out. After 20 years, Michael McClean is moving on. But there'll be time to cry later. Now is the time to enjoy this one last McClean deal.
McClean Vineyards official site



Quality Posts


fredrinaldi


quality posts: 33 Private Messages fredrinaldi

looks like another week saving $$$.

Cesare


quality posts: 1562 Private Messages Cesare

McClean Vineyards: The Last Syrah

McClean Vineyards 2011 Viognier 4-Pack
$49.99 $̶8̶5̶.̶0̶0̶ 41% off List Price
2011 McClean Vineyards Viognier, Paso Robles

McClean Vineyards Paso Robles Syrah 6-Pack
$68.99 $̶1̶5̶9̶.̶0̶0̶ 57% off List Price
2005 McClean Estate Private Reserve Syrah, Paso Robles

McClean Vineyards Paso Robles Syrah 6-Pack
$68.99 $̶1̶4̶7̶.̶0̶0̶ 53% off List Price
2007 McClean Vineyards Private Reserve Estate Syrah, Paso Robles

McClean Vineyards Aged Syrah Rosé Random 6-Pack
$45.99 $̶1̶1̶5̶.̶0̶0̶ 60% off List Price
2005 McClean Syrah Rosé, Paso Robles, Estate Private Reserve
2006 McClean Syrah Rosé, Paso Robles, Estate Private Reserve
2007 McClean Ruby Rosé, Paso Robles, Estate Private Reserve

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

rjquillin


quality posts: 168 Private Messages rjquillin
fredrinaldi wrote:looks like another week saving $$$.

Then you are doing yourself a disservice Fred.

CT

cmaldoon


quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon

McClean Vineyards 2007 Ruby Syrah

At 15.3% alcohol this is almost certainly a Saginee from their estate Syrah which I have purchased and greatly enjoyed in the past. I served this wine chilled a bit in the fridge from cellar temp.

The first, and most noticeable thing about this wine is its dark pink color in the clear bottle. This wine could pass for a Pinot just by looks.

The bottle is corked with a true cork, looking good at 5 years old. The bottom of the cork is as dark as many commercial reds which gives you another taste of just how solidly colored this wine is.

Nose: light at first as I generally expect from a chilled wine. Digging in, I get notes of watermelon (like a jolly rancher) as well as strawberries and rainier cherry. There is a hint of creaminess behind the red fruit that comes off like banana at the moment. At 15.3 and just popped there is certainly some heat as well.

Palate: There is a bit of red fruit on the front and then a good kick of acid and hit of bitterness like a very mild lemon. The wine then progresses into a solid pineapple (not sweet). On the finish it leaves a figgy flavor which actually sticks around for ~10 sec.

Next glass: As the wine develops, I get more creaminess on the nose and perhaps a little less heat. The palate has calmed down and is very much like a light flavored Pinot noir without any funk. Cherries and cream.

Overall assessment: I would only treat this one half like a rose. This wine has deeper flavors and perhaps a little less acid then many roses have. I would compare this most closely to either a light and Pinot, or a light Grenache. Being a heavy end red drinker in general, I don't drink many roses, But this is almost certainly the most complex Rose I have ever tasted. 2007 rose in 2013 may scare people away, but this wine doesn't seem tired at all. At anything under $15 per bottle this is fantastic QPR and it will almost certainly fall in that category.

I'll probably blow a hundred or two bucks on this plus sale, the question is for which wines?

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

cmaldoon


quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon
rjquillin wrote:Then you are doing yourself a disservice Fred.



I now understand your confusion... You must have tried the 2006...

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

North316


quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316

I'll be posting some notes on the 2005 rose this evening. Looking forward to trying it.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

bhodilee


quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee

I had a glass of the 06 Rose last night and it was stellar. I'm going to finish the bottle and compile all my notes tonight and post around 10 p.m. CST. I'd have never thought an 06 Rose would still have life. This thing is like the Jack LaLanne of Rose.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

tdedek


quality posts: 4 Private Messages tdedek

Very interested in the Rose offer after cmaldoon's review. Was a little thrown off by these being so far past vintage for Rose but it looks like this could possibly be a different animal.

Look forward to the reviews of the 2005 and 2006.

North316


quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316

I'm also interested in the 2007 Syrah, but not sure what to make of the CT reviews. Seems like some bottle variation maybe. cmaldoon said it was the best syrah he ever had. Trifecta's first note concurred that it was excellent but his subsequent notes are far from that.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

tdedek


quality posts: 4 Private Messages tdedek

cmaldoon -

The 2007 has pretty high alc and you mention the heat in your review. Seems to have been very present on pnp and then calmed down a bit with your second glass. How distracting was it as the night wore on? Did it find some balance or was it something that took some effort to push to the back of your mind while you enjoyed the other aspects of the wine?

Thanks for the detailed review.

rjquillin


quality posts: 168 Private Messages rjquillin
cmaldoon wrote:I now understand your confusion... You must have tried the 2006...

Yes, and it's only 13.5%. Did you transpose?

CT

North316


quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
rjquillin wrote:Yes, and it's only 13.5%. Did you transpose?



The 2005 and 2006 are 13.5%. 2007 is 15.3%.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

rlmanzo


quality posts: 23 Private Messages rlmanzo

I bought the previous sampler and have had the 2005. It is an excellent example of a finesse(read non-aussie type) Syrah and was the hit of Easter Dinner.

Subtle fruit and just enough oak. A surprisingly long finish.

This wine punches WELL above its weight class and I highly recommend.

I need to try the 2007 as well.

This may be in the running for best QPR I've had on Woot.

Is it broke or just fractured?

cmaldoon


quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon
tdedek wrote:cmaldoon -

The 2007 has pretty high alc and you mention the heat in your review. Seems to have been very present on pnp and then calmed down a bit with your second glass. How distracting was it as the night wore on? Did it find some balance or was it something that took some effort to push to the back of your mind while you enjoyed the other aspects of the wine?

Thanks for the detailed review.



It never jumped out at me after the first glass. In the first place I was admittedly looking for it BECAUSE of the 15.3.

Take this with a grain of salt though because I am rarely disturbed or distracted by high alcohol wines, I am not terribly sensitive to the taste or smell of it.

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

cmaldoon


quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon
rjquillin wrote:Yes, and it's only 13.5%. Did you transpose?



No, I figured you had the 2007 just like me and when you commented on not having this vintage before on woot I found it odd. You were correct, we have not seen 2006 here before.

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

trifecta


quality posts: 69 Private Messages trifecta

I have had better experience with aged Rose's overall. The best Rose I have ever had was a 2005 Iron Horse TbarT, 7 years from vintage. Also had quite good experiences with 2002 Uvaggio Rose's as well.

At this price point, for this winery, I am going in on the Rose. I have also heard folks say they preferred the 2005 Syrah to the '07, so that piques my interest.

To pile on, I have a viognier to try tonight. I might be going for the trifecta!

trifecta


quality posts: 69 Private Messages trifecta
North316 wrote:I'm also interested in the 2007 Syrah, but not sure what to make of the CT reviews. Seems like some bottle variation maybe. cmaldoon said it was the best syrah he ever had. Trifecta's first note concurred that it was excellent but his subsequent notes are far from that.



I definitely have had variation with the '07. I am pretty much at 2 good and 2 not so great. Was waiting to see if it was related to shipment (bought 2 separate 6 packs) before I contacted woot. When its good, its really quite good especially at the price point.

cmaldoon


quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon
trifecta wrote:I have had better experience with aged Rose's overall. The best Rose I have ever had was a 2005 Iron Horse TbarT, 7 years from vintage. Also had quite good experiences with 2002 Uvaggio Rose's as well.

At this price point, for this winery, I am going in on the Rose. I have also heard folks say they preferred the 2005 Syrah to the '07, so that piques my interest.

To pile on, I have a viognier to try tonight. I might be going for the trifecta!



My thoughts are for one each of the 3 syrahs. I'm not a rose' kind of drinker but that stuff isn't standard rose'

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

hiten900


quality posts: 9 Private Messages hiten900

The Reserve Syrah - any comments on the difference in the taste/aroma between the two years - 2005 and 2007?

neilfindswine


quality posts: 167 Private Messages neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

trifecta wrote:I have had better experience with aged Rose's overall. The best Rose I have ever had was a 2005 Iron Horse TbarT, 7 years from vintage. Also had quite good experiences with 2002 Uvaggio Rose's as well.

At this price point, for this winery, I am going in on the Rose. I have also heard folks say they preferred the 2005 Syrah to the '07, so that piques my interest.

To pile on, I have a viognier to try tonight. I might be going for the trifecta!



trifecta? how apropos.

I report to winedavid39...
...I like getting PM's from wannabe rodents...

klezman


quality posts: 119 Private Messages klezman

Don't know why there's a predisposition against "old" rosé. I've had magnificent 10 year old versions and I have a bottle of Iron Horse PN Rosé that's on the order of 2001 sitting waiting to drink. I expect it to be excellent.

However, I was not a fan of the McClean samples when I tried them, so somebody should convince me on the rosé. Or I could take a bottle or two from somebody looking to split.

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

klezman


quality posts: 119 Private Messages klezman
neilfindswine wrote:trifecta? how apropos.



Woodside Vineyards Kings Mtn Cab & Estate Zin
/Jedi mind trick

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

bhodilee


quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
klezman wrote:Don't know why there's a predisposition against "old" rosé. I've had magnificent 10 year old versions and I have a bottle of Iron Horse PN Rosé that's on the order of 2001 sitting waiting to drink. I expect it to be excellent.

However, I was not a fan of the McClean samples when I tried them, so somebody should convince me on the rosé. Or I could take a bottle or two from somebody looking to split.



I honestly didn't know it could age. I don't drink a lot of it so it's not in my knowledge wheelhouse. I'm actually quite excited by the discovery!

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

chipgreen


quality posts: 178 Private Messages chipgreen

I also received a bottle of the 2007 Ruby Syrah. It just happened to arrive a couple hours before I was heading with my g/f to her parents house for a spaghetti dinner, so I brought it along with us after chilling it in the fridge.

The stars usually don't align for me tasting complimentary mystery bottles with others so I was excited to have additional input this time. I knew my g/f's mother wouldn't like it because she only likes sweet wines but she tried a sample and remarked "it's dry" before switching to a local wine called "Sweet Elisa".

Next up, my g/f who has been gradually working her way out of her comfort zone of off-dry wines. She doesn't like 'em too dry and doesn't like 'em too sweet. I had a feeling she was going to like this one but she took one sip and said "cherry cough syrup" and poured the rest into my glass and had some "Sweet Elisa" with her mother. Women!
(Note that she based that comment on cherry flavor with a chemical component to it, as opposed to sweetness or mouthfeel.)

Her father prefers dry reds but will drink just about anything (except Pinot Noir for some reason). Although he happily split the bottle with me he didn't really have anything of note to say about it. He and my g/f both seemed to feel there was a bit of a chemical taste to it. She again said "Robitussin" and dared me to put that in my review, so there it is.

I expressed that Bing cherries are what stood out for me on first sip. I asked her father did he notice any fruit and he said "not really" but agreed that it was tart and not unpleasant. FWIW, he is 80 years old and was probably more interested in the wine for washing down the food than anything else. Even at his age, that man can eat me under the table.

I even busted out the rpm tour aroma wheel in hopes of more detailed input but that just led to a discussion of the wheel itself and some of the interesting descriptions found on said wheel such as "wet dog".

Have to say that I was disappointed in the tasting notes (or lack thereof) that I received from them about the wine and somewhat regretted having brought it over to share. With the distractions of dinner, conversation and TV in the background, I didn't really get good notes on this, but I thought it was a very enjoyable and refreshing wine.

It wasn't a perfect pairing with the spaghetti dinner but it was certainly adequate. However, it was magnificent with the Balsamic dressing on my salad. Tried it with fresh raspberries after dinner and that was not a good match at all but I highly recommend the Balsamic pairing.

A few final thoughts; beautiful color, I can see why they decided to call it "Ruby". Not much on the nose although being chilled probably had something to do with that. I did notice some of the creaminess mentioned by cmaldoon as it warmed up a bit, but mostly tart cherries for me on the palate.

Lastly, I will just reiterate that I really enjoyed this wine and was surprised at the less than enthusiastic reactions of those who shared it with me.

North316


quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
chipgreen wrote:she tried a sample and remarked "it's dry" before switching to a local wine called "Sweet Elisa".



I can't blame them too much, I too like the Sweet Elisa, which reminds me I still have a bottle.

I can't help but wonder if the chemical taste they were getting was simply the 15.3% alcohol. Based on their preference from off-dry it may be more noticable to them then others.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

North316


quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
bhodilee wrote:I honestly didn't know it could age. I don't drink a lot of it so it's not in my knowledge wheelhouse. I'm actually quite excited by the discovery!



Not only can they age, but they can be quite lively as well. I still have a 2007 Rose from Provence that was showing no signs of slowing down last summer.

Depending on my tasting tonight, might have to be in on the rose and maybe some others

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

trifecta


quality posts: 69 Private Messages trifecta
chipgreen wrote:However, it was magnificent with the Balsamic dressing on my salad. Tried it with fresh raspberries after dinner and that was not a good match at all but I highly recommend the Balsamic pairing.



One of the strangest sounding, but most amazing pairings I have experienced was with aged Rose. 2002 Uvaggio il Gufo and Colman's mustard. (if you haven't tried this mustard, you must).

trifecta


quality posts: 69 Private Messages trifecta
neilfindswine wrote:trifecta? how apropos.



Glad someone caught that

tdedek


quality posts: 4 Private Messages tdedek
klezman wrote:Don't know why there's a predisposition against "old" rosé. I've had magnificent 10 year old versions and I have a bottle of Iron Horse PN Rosé that's on the order of 2001 sitting waiting to drink. I expect it to be excellent.

However, I was not a fan of the McClean samples when I tried them, so somebody should convince me on the rosé. Or I could take a bottle or two from somebody looking to split.



My experience with Rose in the past has been that it starts to drop off considerably two or three after vintage. From those that I've tried, they appeared to be built for immediate consumption and not the long haul. At the same time, not until this year have I really made an effort to seek out and try multiple Rose wines from various producers around the world to see where my preferences stand. It's been great fun so far!

Very interested and even happy to find out ageable Rose exists. Hindsight tells me that I should have assumed that they exist, as long as a skilled winemaker intended them to be made in this way. Don't think I can pass it up...a learning opportunity right???

chipgreen


quality posts: 178 Private Messages chipgreen
North316 wrote:I can't blame them too much, I too like the Sweet Elisa, which reminds me I still have a bottle.

I can't help but wonder if the chemical taste they were getting was simply the 15.3% alcohol. Based on their preference from off-dry it may be more noticable to them then others.


That would make sense, since I didn't detect anything chemical in the flavor profile.

chipgreen


quality posts: 178 Private Messages chipgreen
trifecta wrote:One of the strangest sounding, but most amazing pairings I have experienced was with aged Rose. 2002 Uvaggio il Gufo and Colman's mustard. (if you haven't tried this mustard, you must).


That does sound strange, but interesting. I will have to keep an eye out for Colman's. I should mention that the Balsamic dressing I had that was so good with the Ruby Syrah was a Balsamic Vinaigrette.

chipgreen


quality posts: 178 Private Messages chipgreen
North316 wrote:Not only can they age, but they can be quite lively as well. I still have a 2007 Rose from Provence that was showing no signs of slowing down last summer.

Depending on my tasting tonight, might have to be in on the rose and maybe some others


I didn't even think to address the age factor of the '07 Ruby Syrah because it drinks like a much younger wine. If the '05 and '06 were crafted in a similar fashion they should still be drinking well also. The '07 could go for another couple years at least, no problem.

North316


quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
chipgreen wrote:I didn't even think to address the age factor of the '07 Ruby Syrah because it drinks like a much younger wine. If the '05 and '06 were crafted in a similar fashion they should still be drinking well also. The '07 could go for another couple years at least, no problem.



05 and 06 both have lower alcohol, so I would assume might have a little more acid as well, lending them to age better than the 07.

If you watch the Indians game tomorrow afternoon. Look for me, I will be decked out in my teal Mariners Jersey sitting behind home-plate (couple dozen rows back though).

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

PemberDucky


quality posts: 41 Private Messages PemberDucky

Staff

North316 wrote:05 and 06 both have lower alcohol, so I would assume might have a little more acid as well, lending them to age better than the 07.

If you watch the Indians game tomorrow afternoon. Look for me, I will be decked out in my teal Mariners Jersey sitting behind home-plate (couple dozen rows back though).



WE FLOGGED THE YANKEES! i'm still riding that wave.


-----------------------------------------------
Not sure if you should post that? This slightly-nsfw-flowchart will help.

North316


quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
PemberDucky wrote:WE FLOGGED THE YANKEES! i'm still riding that wave.



Should have won the seried 3-0, not 2-1. Umpires stole the first game.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

kellymcclean


quality posts: 8 Private Messages kellymcclean

Hey All!! Kelly McClean here. So the rumors are true, we are sadly closing up shop, this is literally the "Last the Hurrah...er...Syrah?"

After about 20 years in the business we have decided to close up shop and move on to the next adventures of life. Pretty sure my dad is ready to enjoy retirement instead of worry about every aspect of the winery. Fly fishing and motorcycle riding are calling his name.

That said, this is our final blow out! Enjoy while its still available! We have had nothing but great feedback from our killer Syrahs and now that the summer is on its way the Rose and Viognier are perfect for those warm summer nights!

I'll be around to answer any questions so feel free to email me or message me! Thanks to all of our wonderful support from you guys here at Woot! We are so thankful for all of your love and support though out these years!

InFrom


quality posts: 31 Private Messages InFrom
kellymcclean wrote:Hey All!! Kelly McClean here. So the rumors are true, we are sadly closing up shop, this is literally the "Last the Hurrah...er...Syrah?"

After about 20 years in the business we have decided to close up shop and move on to the next adventures of life. Pretty sure my dad is ready to enjoy retirement instead of worry about every aspect of the winery. Fly fishing and motorcycle riding are calling his name.

That said, this is our final blow out! Enjoy while its still available! We have had nothing but great feedback from our killer Syrahs and now that the summer is on its way the Rose and Viognier are perfect for those warm summer nights!

I'll be around to answer any questions so feel free to email me or message me! Thanks to all of our wonderful support from you guys here at Woot! We are so thankful for all of your love and support though out these years!

Good luck! Looking forward to trying the wines.

klezman


quality posts: 119 Private Messages klezman
kellymcclean wrote:Hey All!! Kelly McClean here. So the rumors are true, we are sadly closing up shop, this is literally the "Last the Hurrah...er...Syrah?"

After about 20 years in the business we have decided to close up shop and move on to the next adventures of life. Pretty sure my dad is ready to enjoy retirement instead of worry about every aspect of the winery. Fly fishing and motorcycle riding are calling his name.

That said, this is our final blow out! Enjoy while its still available! We have had nothing but great feedback from our killer Syrahs and now that the summer is on its way the Rose and Viognier are perfect for those warm summer nights!

I'll be around to answer any questions so feel free to email me or message me! Thanks to all of our wonderful support from you guys here at Woot! We are so thankful for all of your love and support though out these years!



So what's happening to the vinted/barreled/bottled wines from 2007 onward?

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

kellymcclean


quality posts: 8 Private Messages kellymcclean
klezman wrote:So what's happening to the vinted/barreled/bottled wines from 2007 onward?




Well, we had no water in 2009 so no harvest that year. Aww farming.

2011 barrels have been completely sold!

But we still have 2,200 gallons of 2010 in the barrels that we are selling in 1 lot (hopefully) for $14/gallon. Any takers? haha