Fleuron Chardonnay by Captûre Wines 4-Pack
$59.99 $̶1̶1̶1̶.̶0̶0̶ 46% off List Price
2010 Fleuron Chardonnay
CT link above

Winery website

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

sdfreedive

quality posts: 27 Private Messages sdfreedive

Whoa! I've been gifted a bottle of this and I'm opening it now.
PnP out of my fridge:
Straw color very light
On swirl it does not show any legs
Nose of citrus (orange) blossoms maybe green apple.
Flavor is not fruit more floral, I'm leaning back towards those citrus blossom flavors. Tastes like it smells I guess. Maybe a slight chalk aftertaste. It's a long aftertaste too. And it does coat your mouth, it almost feels oily.
Acid wise this seems low as in it has a high pH. I'm not getting much crispness out of it.

As of right now I'm not a fan. I much preferred the Salexis.

I'll update this in an hour as the wine warms. And hopefully I can get a few notes from tomorrow with some food.

Edit: 45 minutes into my first glass.
Nose is honeysuckle and orange blossom.
Flavor is nectarine and apricot but not sweet. The chalk is diminished but the mouthfeel is still full. It did not go well with a Taiwanese pineapple cake/cookie I had with it. I'm still not a fan. Maybe with some chicken tomorrow it'll perk up.

Last note: Had with dinner with some sauteed chicken, chives, and mushrooms.
It was better with food. And my wife enjoyed it. Her note was minerally, a predominant flint note. She likes French style like a Chablis so this worked for her. She'd buy this if she drank more wine.

dalematthew

quality posts: 23 Private Messages dalematthew

Infamous man I the dark alley says - hey I've got something here that will make your lady happy, as he handed me something in a brown paper bag .....

PnP:
Color is a very light / pale with a golden hue. Initially I thought SB but a tinge more gold.

Nose of pineapple and honeysuckle.

After a while (and a bit warmer):

Pineapple turning now into nectarine and honey, very slight mineral taste, with touch of oak. Honey (slight sweetness) lingers through the medium finish. Viscous mouthfeel.

My wife is the chard drinker in the family and she enjoyed this one. Not a butter bomb.

Once again advice from the alley is accurate.

cmaldoon

quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon

The description seems a bit fishy to me.

They talk about finding a wonderful site to grow Bordeaux varietals (Chardonay is Burgundian) at tin cross vineyards in Sonoma county which is either 1600 ft (features tab) or 2500 ft (winery tab) above the floor of Alexander valley. Lastly and most disturbing, the wine is labeled with a "California" AVA label when it is being described as wholy Sonoma fruit (and nobody that I know would label a truly Sonoma wine "California").

What information is missing / flawed here?

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 604 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

cmaldoon wrote:The description seems a bit fishy to me.

They talk about finding a wonderful site to grow Bordeaux varietals (Chardonay is Burgundian) at tin cross vineyards in Sonoma county which is either 1600 ft (features tab) or 2500 ft (winery tab) above the floor of Alexander valley. Lastly and most disturbing, the wine is labeled with a "California" AVA label when it is being described as wholy Sonoma fruit (and nobody that I know would label a truly Sonoma wine "California").

I'll send off your question.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

cortot20

quality posts: 158 Private Messages cortot20
cmaldoon wrote:The description seems a bit fishy to me.

The way this reads to me is that this is non estate fruit. Their estate vineyards sits at 2500 feet but the vineyard this is sourced from in at 1600 feet and therefore owned by someone else. Everything else would appear to line up with this distinction clarified. Hope that helps.

CT

cmaldoon

cortot20 wrote:The way this reads to me is that this is non estate fruit. Their estate vineyards sits at 2500 feet but the vineyard this is sourced from in at 1600 feet and therefore owned by someone else. Everything else would appear to line up with this distinction clarified. Hope that helps.

Ah ha... Found it: "they launched Captûre Wines in 2008, on a parcel of land that rises from 1,600 to 2,500 feet above the Alexander Valley floor in Sonoma County, California"

Which clears up everything except the burgundy varietals grown at a Bordeaux estate (nitpick, doesn't matter) and the wine labeled California when it is supposedly Sonoma estate fruit (Really Really weird and potentially fishy)

My Cellar

zoeldar

quality posts: 4 Private Messages zoeldar

The founders are really focused on Bordeaux reds as their primary gig, with the Chard to help pay the bills...competent winemaker for sure...but I haven't had this bottle yet. His reds can be special.

Z

UBlink

quality posts: 19 Private Messages UBlink

The detail notes on the website say 61% Sonoma County 39% Lake County = California appellation.

Following the eight word profile, political economy in eight words:
Ain't no free lunch - them what has gets.

Wicked Gollum

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Wicked Gollum

What does PnP mean?

Popped and poured?

Curly Joe lurker on Wine.Woot

--
.:d:.

"Travel is fatal to bigotry, prejudice and narrow-mindedness. Broad, wholesome and charitable views cannot be acquired by vegetating in one tiny corner of the globe."
-- Mark Twain

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
Wicked Gollum wrote:What does PnP mean?

Popped and poured?

Curly Joe lurker on Wine.Woot

that is precisely what it means precious

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

trifecta

quality posts: 73 Private Messages trifecta
ThunderThighs wrote:I'll send off your question.

Hey TT. The google search within the forums appears to be down.

fredrinaldi

quality posts: 39 Private Messages fredrinaldi

Look whats on WTSO,:
Azienda Agricola Pietro Rinaldi San Cristoforo Barbaresco Nebbiolo 2009 .
got a nice "ring" to it

cmaldoon

I am still hoping for a resolution on the AVA question... Anyone?

My Cellar

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 604 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

trifecta wrote:Hey TT. The google search within the forums appears to be down.

Strange. It's just wine. Thanks for the heads up. I've reported it.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

trifecta

quality posts: 73 Private Messages trifecta
cmaldoon wrote:I am still hoping for a resolution on the AVA question... Anyone?

From Ublinks post:

UBlink wrote:The detail notes on the website say 61% Sonoma County 39% Lake County = California appellation.

cmaldoon

trifecta wrote:

Thanks trifecta. I am blind this morning and missed that.

Does their estate span 2 counties? Lake county has some sneaky good fruit too.

My Cellar

cmaldoon

UBlink wrote:The detail notes on the website say 61% Sonoma County 39% Lake County = California appellation.

Thanks, I guess as the saying goes: "UBlink and you'll miss it"

My Cellar

capturewines

quality posts: 1 Private Messages capturewines
cmaldoon wrote:Thanks trifecta. I am blind this morning and missed that.

hey guys, estate is located in Sonoma on Mayacama Mountain range. Newest AVA of Sonoma, Pine Mountain - Cloverdale Peak. 2010 Chardonnay is entirely estate fruit coming from that AVA although on the label we positioned California as the AVA since we did not have TTB approval until this year.

capturewines

quality posts: 1 Private Messages capturewines
cmaldoon wrote:Thanks trifecta. I am blind this morning and missed that.

Our estate is located in Pine Mountain - Cloverdale Peak, Sonoma side w/ 40 acres of vineyards. 7 acres are Chardonnay, 30 year old vines with one clonal selection. "Robert Young - Wente Clone".

kaolis

quality posts: 28 Private Messages kaolis

That description is from the 2011, not the 2010.

The 2010 simply states appellation as California.

kaolis

quality posts: 28 Private Messages kaolis

Love the Capture whites. Have been drinking both Sauvignon Blancs and the Capture Ma Vie Chardonnay since the first vintage 2009 but yet to try a Fleuron Chard. The Ma Vie Chardonnay is an elegant wine, striking a nice balance of minerality and richness with great fruit. Looking at the website the way the 2010 Fleuron is handled is very close to that of the Ma Vie, 11 months sur lie with stirring, 100% French oak. This was bottled earlier, so my guess this is lots that didn't make the cut. If this is a trimmed down version of the Ma Vie, sounds good to me. At a little over $15 I'm in for 2, after all, summer is finally on the way.

sdfreedive

But why not just Sonoma? The broad California designation gives a different idea. If I see California Chard I expect a certain price point and flavor profile. Obviously you're not going for that profile but it'd be nice to realize that*.

*I didn't taste this wine with any thoughts or ideas. I did it pretty much blind and wouldn't have noticed it was a California AVA until it was pointed out.

capturewines wrote:hey guys, estate is located in Sonoma on Mayacama Mountain range. Newest AVA of Sonoma, Pine Mountain - Cloverdale Peak. 2010 Chardonnay is entirely estate fruit coming from that AVA although on the label we positioned California as the AVA since we did not have TTB approval until this year.

chipgreen

quality posts: 201 Private Messages chipgreen
capturewines wrote:...we did not have TTB approval until this year.

Seems pretty clear. Also, standard posting etiquette has quoted text on top, reply underneath.

sdfreedive

chipgreen wrote:Seems pretty clear. Also, standard posting etiquette has quoted text on top, reply underneath.

I thought that they wanted to have a smaller AVA noted, the Pine Mountain-Cloverdale one, and it wasn't yet approved. But they'd still be in Sonoma County and could note it as such. No biggie.