chipgreen

quality posts: 179 Private Messages chipgreen
ryall12 wrote:I purchased this last time and just drank a bottle again last week.

All I taste with this wine is fizz. Its got some flavors buried beneath which have promise but I cannot get past the carbonation. I have no other way to describe it but it makes the wine taste bad, in my opinion. Bad as in it went bad, not that the flavor is bad.

If you enjoy a fizzy type of wine this review should be ignored as it is not about the flavor, body, etc.
If you do not enjoy fizzy wine I would suggest avoiding.
If you never had a fizzy wine please consider this when purchasing, it is a very different cab experience than what you may expect...

I guess there must be some bottle variation, mine had a few bubbles but definitely not enough to qualify as "fizzy", like the Mirage Cab.

chipgreen

bhodilee wrote:Rick James?

I'm Rick James, biottcchh!"

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
krobart wrote:Thanks. I'm old and confused now.

I tend to have that effect. Basically, you now have to put everything you intend to buy today in your cart and check out at the same time. If you do this, everything in your cart ships for five bucks. If you buy this wine now it will cost you five bucks to ship. If later in the day you decide, you know what, I really need a reel mower and buy that. It's gonna cost you five bucks to ship. Had you decided I'm gonna buy the wine and the mower in the same transaction, you'd have only paid five bucks to ship both.

This is of course for your benefit and in no way, shape, or form, is a pain in the ass.*

*opinions may vary

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

hiten900

quality posts: 9 Private Messages hiten900

[quote postid="5442051" user="bhodilee"]I tend to have that effect. Basically, you now have to put everything you intend to buy today in your cart and check out at the same time. If you do this, everything in your cart ships for five bucks. If you buy this wine now it will cost you five bucks to ship. If later in the day you decide, you know what, I really need a reel mower and buy that. It's gonna cost you five bucks to ship. Had you decided I'm gonna buy the wine and the mower in the same transaction, you'd have only paid five bucks to ship both.

This is of course for your benefit and in no way, shape, or form, is a pain in the ass.*

The Money-gods are influencing the Woot-gods. Gone are the days or fixed shipping for all you buy on any one day, add sales taxes, wines that are (generally speaking) more expensive per bottle then the trend 2 years ago. My buying is less frequent on wine.woot and has been probably replaced by folks who wish to spend more than I do. Power to them!
I will wait for the odd offering that makes sense to my pocket. Maybe this one? Waiting to see some more tasting related comments.

bhodilee

hiten900 wrote:The Money-gods are influencing the Woot-gods. Gone are the days or fixed shipping for all you buy on any one day, add sales taxes, wines that are (generally speaking) more expensive per bottle then the trend 2 years ago. My buying is less frequent on wine.woot and has been probably replaced by folks who wish to spend more than I do. Power to them!
I will wait for the odd offering that makes sense to my pocket. Maybe this one? Waiting to see some more tasting related comments.

The shipping thing was actually pretty short lived and was always billed as temporary (though obviously a smashing success). Insofar as wines being sold for more now than two years ago. Two years ago wineries were still feeling the effects of the recession, you know that time where nobody spent any money, and had to move wine at much lower costs just to sell it. Now that spending has picked back up, prices have picked back up. Sucks for us, but not much can be done about it.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

deecue

quality posts: 0 Private Messages deecue
bhodilee wrote:Insofar as wines being sold for more now than two years ago. Two years ago wineries were still feeling the effects of the recession, you know that time where nobody spent any money, and had to move wine at much lower costs just to sell it. Now that spending has picked back up, prices have picked back up. Sucks for us, but not much can be done about it.

yeah, i've heard that argument one too many times.. you can't lump sum the entire market and associate it to purchasing levels of an individual commodity.. you can keep telling yourself things are better, but the truth is many things are still plummeting as recent as a year ago and the unemployment rate is still much higher than it was 5 years ago..

1yr:
oil down 10%
coffee down 19%
sugar down 19%

http://money.cnn.com/data/commodities/

5yr:
unemployment up 3%

https://www.google.com/publicdata/explore?ds=z1ebjpgk2654c1_&met_y=unemployment_rate

sure some commodities are up, i won't deny that.. but it's also my point, you can't lump sum the entire market and say "things are better so it's ok to charge us more for our purchases of wine now"

as far as getting back on track, this one particular deal today is in fact that, a good deal compared to it's past offerings so i'm not complaining..

not buying either, but that's because for other unrelated reasons.. as others have said, it's up to the individual whether they feel any offer is worth their money and decide to buy or not buy in the end..

so.... anymore tasting notes?

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
deecue wrote:yeah, i've heard that argument one too many times.. you can't lump sum the entire market and associate it to purchasing levels of an individual commodity.. you can keep telling yourself things are better, but the truth is many things are still plummeting as recent as a year ago and the unemployment rate is still much higher than it was 5 years ago..

1yr:
oil down 10%
coffee down 19%
sugar down 19%

http://money.cnn.com/data/commodities/

5yr:
unemployment up 3%

https://www.google.com/publicdata/explore?ds=z1ebjpgk2654c1_&met_y=unemployment_rate

sure some commodities are up, i won't deny that.. but it's also my point, you can't lump sum the entire market and say "things are better so it's ok to charge us more for our purchases of wine now"

Speaking of generalizations...wow.

Looking at 1 year changes in commodities and a 5 year change in unemployment lends absolutely no credence to what was being discussed (changes in wine prices due to the recession). Aside from everything else, oil prices do not directly correlate with the price of gas. Oil costs are down from last year, yet gas prices are up.

If you actually want to make a generalization and correlation like you are trying to do, the appropriate measurement would be the consumer price index. When looking at all items included in the index (including food an energy), the index was at a low of -2.2 in mid-2009 and as of march 2013 is at 1.5 (http://www.bls.gov/cpi/cpid1303.pdf)(yet the government swears there has been no inflation!). Whether you feel that the economy has improved or not, or whether your selected commodities are showing drops in prices, the CPI shows that on average ALL consumer prices have risen significant since the recession. Wine is just now starting to catch up. Lets not even begin to mention how the mediocre 2010 harvest and the horrible 2011 harvest may begin to affect prices as those vintages are released.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

bhodilee

North316 wrote:Speaking of generalizations...wow.

Looking at 1 year changes in commodities and a 5 year change in unemployment lends absolutely no credence to what was being discussed (changes in wine prices due to the recession). Aside from everything else, oil prices do not directly correlate with the price of gas. Oil costs are down from last year, yet gas prices are up.

If you actually want to make a generalization and correlation like you are trying to do, the appropriate measurement would be the consumer price index. When looking at all items included in the index (including food an energy), the index was at a low of -2.2 in mid-2009 and as of march 2013 is at 1.5 (http://www.bls.gov/cpi/cpid1303.pdf)(yet the government swears there has been no inflation!). Whether you feel that the economy has improved or not, or whether your selected commodities are showing drops in prices, the CPI shows that on average ALL consumer prices have risen significant since the recession. Wine is just now starting to catch up. Lets not even begin to mention how the mediocre 2010 harvest and the horrible 2011 harvest may begin to affect prices as those vintages are released.

or do

rjquillin

quality posts: 170 Private Messages rjquillin
North316 wrote:Wasn't the Mirage one of Sextant's lines as well?

Yes it was, and I compared this Sextant next to the Mirage when the fizzy cab was first offered. This Sextant definitely shared characteristics with the Mirage, including some fizz and a certain taste profile, with the Mirage, but to a lesser degree on both counts for the Sextant. If you like this characteristic, fine. Not my glass of wine however for either the fizz or the shared taste characteristic.

CT

neilfindswine

quality posts: 168 Private Messages neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

I thought I'd do a little live tasting on this one based on the discussion, and since I happen to have a bottle on my desk that was given to me by a friend...

pnp- nice color; and yes, some bubbles. letting it sit for a minute in the glass while I jump on a conference call and send some emails. Just another day at the office, working for the man (the man being WD39, not Amazon).

Let the glass sit for all of five minutes and gave it a swirl. Dark fruit on the nose, a little rose petal and maybe a touch of alcohol (14%).

Palate: More dark fruit- plums and dark cherry, a little vanilla and spice. Decent finish with mild tannins. No bubbles. A pleasant Central Coast Cab.

Oh, and it's $9 and change per bottle.

Ok, going back to work. Taking 'Sextant tasting' off of my to-do-list, 11:29AM.

It's a grind.

I report to winedavid39...
...I like getting PM's from wannabe rodents...

chipgreen

neilfindswine wrote:I thought I'd do a little live tasting on this one based on the discussion, and since I happen to have a bottle on my desk that was given to me by a friend...

pnp- nice color; and yes, some bubbles. letting it sit for a minute in the glass while I jump on a conference call and send some emails. Just another day at the office, working for the man (the man being WD39, not Amazon).

Let the glass sit for all of five minutes and gave it a swirl. Dark fruit on the nose, a little rose petal and maybe a touch of alcohol (14%).

Palate: More dark fruit- plums and dark cherry, a little vanilla and spice. Decent finish with mild tannins. No bubbles. A pleasant Central Coast Cab.

It's a grind.

Video or it didn't happen! Seriously, I think you could take a pin and pop the 10-12 bubbles in a glass of this wine and be done with it. At least from the bottles I drank...

rjquillin

quality posts: 170 Private Messages rjquillin
neilfindswine wrote:I thought I'd do a little live tasting on this one based on the discussion, and since I happen to have a bottle on my desk that was given to me by a friend...

It's a grind.

We all bow in awe of your diligence.

CT

hiten900

quality posts: 9 Private Messages hiten900
bhodilee wrote:The shipping thing was actually pretty short lived and was always billed as temporary (though obviously a smashing success). Insofar as wines being sold for more now than two years ago. Two years ago wineries were still feeling the effects of the recession, you know that time where nobody spent any money, and had to move wine at much lower costs just to sell it. Now that spending has picked back up, prices have picked back up. Sucks for us, but not much can be done about it.

Remember Black Tie Tuesdays? Today, More days of the week seem to be Black Tie days. For me, Wine.woot used to be about sampling wines from many small wineries at a great price point. This is the price point that works for me.

pseudogourmet98

quality posts: 15 Private Messages pseudogourmet98
bhodilee wrote:is it toe the line or tow the line? I'm not really sure, but I always envisioned it as toe.

"In the 19th century, sailors were expected to prepare themselves for group punishment by standing in formation on deck and 'toeing the line' between boards - also called 'toeing the crack'. From The Edinburgh Literary Journal, January - June 1831:

"The matter, therefore, necessarily became rather serious; and the whole gang of us being sent for on the quarter-deck, we were ranged in a line, each with his toes at the edge of a plank, according to the orthodox fashion of these gregarious scoldings, technically called toe-the-line matches."

I'm guessing that was right before they had to "walk the plank" and then maybe "swim with the fishes"...

pseudogourmet98

It's a grind.

I want your grind.

thommygun48

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thommygun48
sdfreedive wrote:Please no more fizzy cabs! I'm not in the mood for a faulted wine if I want bubbles I'll buy a sparkler. Bring back the Woot Cellars Reboot!

YA-- NORE MORE FIZZ

fogtower

quality posts: 1 Private Messages fogtower

I have yet to find a Cab here under $50 per bottle that really even resembles a Cab. Cheap cabs flawed or not rarely taste like Cabs, even many $100 bottles are not so great or even decent. Wake me up when Woot has some decent Cabs worth drinking. "Daily drinker" used on a bottle of cab at this price says one sip and the drain to me. Cabs were never meant to be chap or "daily drinkers".

chipgreen

fogtower wrote:I have yet to find a Cab here under $50 per bottle that really even resembles a Cab. Cheap cabs flawed or not rarely taste like Cabs, even many $100 bottles are not so great or even decent. Wake me up when Woot has some decent Cabs worth drinking. "Daily drinker" used on a bottle of cab at this price says one sip and the drain to me. Cabs were never meant to be chap or "daily drinkers".

There are so many things wrong with your post that I wouldn't even know where to begin....

cortot20

quality posts: 132 Private Messages cortot20

Took me almost the entire threads reading to figure out we were talking about this wine being fizzy and not the mirage. I am so smrt.

CT

greyday

quality posts: 51 Private Messages greyday

Exactly. There are multiple factors, it's not just down to the price of oil or corporate greed. Supply, demand, cost of refining/production rates of refining (remember the price raises that happened after Katrina?), etc. Not to mention that prices vary by brand, as each of the major companies tends to buy oil in bulk at the times they need it (though they try to shoot for the lowest price in that time range, of course), so what you're buying right now is likely gas made from oil that was much more expensive than the current price of oil.

Not that corporate greed or the current price of oil are irrelevant, just that they are two of many factors...

Getting back to wine and wine prices on Woot, yeah, it would be ignorant to claim that Amazon buying Woot didn't have an effect. Then again, that sale happened before I even started buying wine on here, which was, for the record, four years ago. So if you're comparing prices on wines you're still buying, chances are you're comparing two post-Amazon sale prices.

Likewise, the economy DOES have a very real effect. The height of the recession saw a huge decline in mid range wine sales, so wineries dropped their prices. They have been slowly creeping back up over time, as was stated this is just a reality of supply and demand economics--prices will always be aimed at the maximum the customer is willing to pay. Right now the mid-range wine market is stronger than it was 2010. This is just a reality--people with small disposable incomes are willing to spend right now, combined with the growth of urban wineries and smaller wineries/vineyards popping up all over the place right now.

And a third brief point--comparing prices of similar or identical wine woot sales reveals pretty fair pricing across the board, either comparable but mostly a bit more expensive (or sometimes even a bit cheaper). Which, when you factor in all the above, library aging, and the fact that businesses tend to grow (which is part of the point of selling on wine.woot in the first place, discount pricing to get your brand out there), is wayyy more than fair. Yes, it was awesome to get a Scott Harvey wine insanely cheap a couple years back, but getting one now for still pretty cheap but more than it was is in NO way a bad deal.

But ultimately, just buy what you want at the price you're willing to spend. Free all day shipping, shopping cart, or standard $5 shipping, the overall deal is pretty darned impressive, especially when you consider the price difference in buying direct (and, ungh, shipping direct)...

cortot20

quality posts: 132 Private Messages cortot20

Wine is a luxury item not a commodity. It has to be looked at in a different light. It's price curve will mimic food, oil, and other consumer commodities but it will lag behind by a bit. The opposite of this is construction consumables, wood, steel, and other raw materials do lead the pack in a price down turn and are often used as predictors as to what the consumer markets will do in the short term.

Oil prices do impact gas prices but less than you might think. Other factors include cost of refining (which is up) taxes (which are up) and environmental restrictions (which is way up). This is my industry so I know all bout this.

Gas prices being up does impact everything that gets trucked, railed, boated and flown any where.

Brining this conversation back to wine, prices should quickly get back to their 05-07' range and the woot favorites that we all know and love keep prices reduced for this medium because we have helped in their success. For those looking for rock bottom pricing on good/great wine this is still the place to be. Especially for newer wineries looking to get their name out and older wineries looking for a broader audience or to just unload some expiring vintages.

Cheers.

CT

fredrinaldi

quality posts: 33 Private Messages fredrinaldi

WOW Major cat fight today, It there a full moon?

pseudogourmet98

fredrinaldi wrote:WOW Major cat fight today, It there a full moon?

chipgreen

fredrinaldi wrote:WOW Major cat fight today, It there a full moon?

Join the fray, Fred!

ifixboats

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ifixboats

We got this last time and loved it. This time not so much. We have to decant it for at least a day to be able to drink it.

CasualSax

quality posts: 8 Private Messages CasualSax

OKAY, so I'm just going to ignore the economy/amazon/syria conversations and ask:

I'm new to mass wine purchases. My wine rack is empty. I like reds, dryer the better. I'm on a budget. Should I buy this?

24 x woots (0 Bunnies Ogling Carrots )
23 x shirts (18 Random )
.5 x wine (split order)
5 x sellout (mandatory parentheses)
1 x kids (did I win yet?)