WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Sextant 2009 Central Coast Cabernet Sauvignon (6)

Speed to First Woot:
3m 11.555s
First Sucker:
Elk Grove
Last Wooter to Woot:
Steelbarb
Last Purchase:
a year ago
Order Pace (rank):
Top 46% of Wine Woots
Top 40% of all Woots
Woots Sold (rank):
Top 21% of Wine Woots
Top 20% of all Woots

Purchaser Experience

• 4% first woot
  • 3% second woot
  • 10% < 10 woots
  • 28% < 25 woots
  • 54% ≥ 25 woots

Purchaser Seniority

• 2% joined today
  • 0% one week old
  • 0% one month old
  • 9% one year old
  • 89% > one year old

Quantity Breakdown

• 78% bought 1
  • 17% bought 2
  • 5% bought 3

Percentage of Sales Per Hour

8%
1%
1%
1%
1%
2%
7%
10%
11%
7%
7%
6%
5%
3%
4%
1%
3%
2%
4%
4%
6%
1%
3%
2%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

Cesare

quality posts: 1597 Private Messages Cesare

Sextant 2009 Central Coast Cabernet Sauvignon 6-Pack
$54.99 $̶1̶1̶5̶.̶0̶0̶ 52% off List Price
Sextant 2009 Cabernet Sauvignon
CT link above

Winery website

Previous offer:
11/11/11

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

chipgreen

quality posts: 185 Private Messages chipgreen

Nice daily drinker. I previously purchased this same deal here for $8.00 more (before sales tax, but even with tax it's still $3-$4 less). I drank a bottle one month ago and posted these notes to CT:
---------------
Dark cherries on the palate with creamy vanilla oak, medium body and moderate tannins. I detected only the slightest trace of secondary fermentation upon PnP, it seems to have mostly resolved itself in-bottle and this wine is drinking nicely right now.

greyday

quality posts: 52 Private Messages greyday

This is a screaming deal. And I was doing so well with the whole not buying thing. May have to be in for 3...

sdfreedive

quality posts: 24 Private Messages sdfreedive

Please no more fizzy cabs! I'm not in the mood for a faulted wine if I want bubbles I'll buy a sparkler. Bring back the Woot Cellars Reboot!

chipgreen

sdfreedive wrote:Please no more fizzy cabs! I'm not in the mood for a faulted wine if I want bubbles I'll buy a sparkler. Bring back the Woot Cellars Reboot!

I would not even have noticed any secondary fermentation if it hadn't been brought up in the earlier CT notes. I only talked about it myself in order to ease any lingering concerns that others may have had. As mentioned, it seems to have resolved itself in the bottle.

IOW, it's not fizzy. Anymore.

sdfreedive

quality posts: 24 Private Messages sdfreedive

They note it in the woot description too. Even if this has resolved itself in the bottle it means the wine was bottled to young. Maybe the qpr is there but I'm going to pass of it.

Also did the chemistry change for you? Did you note it as more acidic or hotter? Any RS taste left or did that all get converted?

Thanks for the notes though!

chipgreen wrote:I would not even have noticed any secondary fermentation if it hadn't been brought up in the earlier CT notes. I only talked about it myself in order to ease any lingering concerns that others may have had. As mentioned, it seems to have resolved itself in the bottle.

IOW, it's not fizzy. Anymore.

chipgreen

sdfreedive wrote:They note it in the woot description too. Even if this has resolved itself in the bottle it means the wine was bottled to young. Maybe the qpr is there but I'm going to pass of it.

Also did the chemistry change for you? Did you note it as more acidic or hotter? Any RS taste left or did that all get converted?

Thanks for the notes though!

Since I didn't drink any when it was younger, I can't say how it changed - only that the 3 bottles I've gone through recently were not fizzy despite having a few bubbles.

dmallette

quality posts: 2 Private Messages dmallette
chipgreen wrote:Nice daily drinker. I previously purchased this same deal here for $8.00 more (before sales tax, but even with tax it's still $3-$4 less). I drank a bottle one month ago and posted these notes to CT:
---------------
Dark cherries on the palate with creamy vanilla oak, medium body and moderate tannins. I detected only the slightest trace of secondary fermentation upon PnP, it seems to have mostly resolved itself in-bottle and this wine is drinking nicely right now.

I purchased this last time and also enjoyed it. I recall that it was a solid purchase and agree with your notes.

I'm not sure if I'll purchase again though. As it is my 40 bottle rack is full and I have a 1.5 cases still in boxes. I know, I know...you feel bad for me. No worries, I'll make it through this dilemma somehow. ;-)

sphervey

quality posts: 39 Private Messages sphervey

Wine Enthusiast review:

http://buyingguide.winemag.com/catalog/sextant-2009-cabernet-sauvignon-central-coast-paso-robles

Korista

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Korista
sphervey wrote:Wine Enthusiast review:

http://buyingguide.winemag.com/catalog/sextant-2009-cabernet-sauvignon-central-coast-paso-robles

For those of us who are lazy and dislike cutting and pasting into the URL....

;)

mstern20878

quality posts: 9 Private Messages mstern20878

No Maryland, no love.

keithnowak7

quality posts: 11 Private Messages keithnowak7

Awesome! A flawed wine at a discount. Just what I have been waiting for. "Blah blah blah it was good, but I do not see myself getting more. Blames it on the cellar."

So, you had some, didn't like it, and won't buy more. Just man up and say that. Oh wait, you have to save face with the wine woot gods. This is a killer QPR and you are all fools for not getting in on it! (Sound like the line you are supposed to tow?)

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316

Wasn't the Mirage one of Sextant's lines as well?

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

ryall12

quality posts: 3 Private Messages ryall12

I purchased this last time and just drank a bottle again last week.

All I taste with this wine is fizz. Its got some flavors buried beneath which have promise but I cannot get past the carbonation. I have no other way to describe it but it makes the wine taste bad, in my opinion. Bad as in it went bad, not that the flavor is bad.

If you enjoy a fizzy type of wine this review should be ignored as it is not about the flavor, body, etc.
If you do not enjoy fizzy wine I would suggest avoiding.
If you never had a fizzy wine please consider this when purchasing, it is a very different cab experience than what you may expect...

jchasma

quality posts: 9 Private Messages jchasma
keithnowak7 wrote:Awesome! A flawed wine at a discount. Just what I have been waiting for. "Blah blah blah it was good, but I do not see myself getting more. Blames it on the cellar."

So, you had some, didn't like it, and won't buy more. Just man up and say that. Oh wait, you have to save face with the wine woot gods. This is a killer QPR and you are all fools for not getting in on it! (Sound like the line you are supposed to tow?)

I actually really enjoyed this wine. It's a fantastic QPR. The fizz goes away with some decanting if you don't enjoy it. I shared a bottle of this with a friend and she actually really loved the fizz. You can't go wrong with Sextant wines!

jchasma

I went to check out and South Carolina is on the list but it won't let me pay? Any thoughts on what to do?

keithnowak7

jchasma wrote:I The fizz goes away with some decanting if you don't enjoy it.

Enjoy it or not, that is a flawed bottle. Market it as a sparkler or do not have fizz in a dry red cab. I decant the hell out of most of the wines I get on here, but come on. The bottles are bad, the wine was flawed, and there is no point in fancying up a turd. Garnish it with all the praise you feel obligated to, but it still smells like crap.

I mean, that is the elephant in the room. This is BAD wine. You can decant it, vinturi it, maybe even dump it into a wine barrel and age it more, but it is bad wine. Stop pretending elsewise. This is what woot has come to. Well that and blowing smoke up my ass about "winery samples" but hey, Amazon.com ya'll.

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
keithnowak7 wrote:Awesome! A flawed wine at a discount. Just what I have been waiting for. "Blah blah blah it was good, but I do not see myself getting more. Blames it on the cellar."

is it toe the line or tow the line? I'm not really sure, but I always envisioned it as toe. I hate toes though, nasty malformed fingers. Completely useless for hanging from trees. Chimps have it all over people when it comes to trees.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

North316

keithnowak7 wrote:Enjoy it or not, that is a flawed bottle. Market it as a sparkler or do not have fizz in a dry red cab. I decant the hell out of most of the wines I get on here, but come on. The bottles are bad, the wine was flawed, and there is no point in fancying up a turd. Garnish it with all the praise you feel obligated to, but it still smells like crap.

I mean, that is the elephant in the room. This is BAD wine. You can decant it, vinturi it, maybe even dump it into a wine barrel and age it more, but it is bad wine. Stop pretending elsewise. This is what woot has come to. Well that and blowing smoke up my ass about "winery samples" but hey, Amazon.com ya'll.

Actually it is not the elephant in the room, it appears to be the skeleton in YOUR closet. We see/hear/read your opinion and we can make decisions for ourselves, no need to cram your opinions down the throats of others, no matter how strongly you may feel in one direction or another.

My CT

bhodilee

keithnowak7 wrote:Enjoy it or not, that is a flawed bottle. Market it as a sparkler or do not have fizz in a dry red cab. I decant the hell out of most of the wines I get on here, but come on. The bottles are bad, the wine was flawed, and there is no point in fancying up a turd. Garnish it with all the praise you feel obligated to, but it still smells like crap.

Another idiom I have never quite understood. You'd need some kind of funnel type device to effectively get the smoke up there, otherwise it's more like blowing smoke around my ass. Seeing as how I'm fat, I would suggest they use a cigar or one of the Wildfires that like to hit the San Diego area, if in fact they wanted to blow smoke anywhere around my posterior.

Also, it probably smells like crap due the aforementioned funnel. There may have been some residual after the smoke blowing.

insofar as elephants in rooms (this would not work in my house by the way, completely impractical.), it would only be an elephant if it wasn't actually discussed. There is plenty of disclosure though, so it's more of the elephant out in the yard where elephants belong. Not on hot days though. You shouldn't leave your elephant outside on hot days.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

keithnowak7

I am so shocked that the same people who get samples got pissy with my comment. So shocked. You missed the opportunity to tout the wine as being the bee's knees. Isn't that part of your deal?

TheBackburner

quality posts: 0 Private Messages TheBackburner
mstern20878 wrote:No Maryland, no love.

Seriously, why no MD? I thought we could direct ship now? Finally one I want to try and I can't get it...

There is a river where a riverbed should be...
-DISPATCH

North316

keithnowak7 wrote:I am so shocked that the same people who get samples got pissy with my comment. So shocked. You missed the opportunity to tout the wine as being the bee's knees. Isn't that part of your deal?

1) There are currently no reviews posted here from people who did not purchase the wine.

2) I have seen plenty of negative reviews posted on others wines in the past.

3) Get over yourself already. If you don't like/want the wine, simply don't buy it.

My CT

North316

TheBackburner wrote:Seriously, why no MD? I thought we could direct ship now? Finally one I want to try and I can't get it...

Shipping is dependent on each individual winery having the proper licensing for a given state. One winery may have it, while the next may not.

My CT

bhodilee

keithnowak7 wrote:I am so shocked that the same people who get samples got pissy with my comment. So shocked. You missed the opportunity to tout the wine as being the bee's knees. Isn't that part of your deal?

pretty sure my contract specifically has a "no bees knees" clause. Copyright laws or some-such, I'm not a lawyer.

I think the point people are trying to make though, is that this wine may in fact have a flaw, but it's not a bretty flaw or something that renders the wine undrinkable. It underwent secondary fermentation. These things happen. They're very upfront about it and many reviews have stated, yeah, once I let the fizz blow off what I was left with was cab that drinks WELL above it's price point. Sounds like a deal to me. Sounds like Wake up and go to sleep! to you. One mans trash and all that.

cynthylee

quality posts: 9 Private Messages cynthylee
bhodilee wrote:Another idiom I have never quite understood. You'd need some kind of funnel type device to effectively get the smoke up there, otherwise it's more like blowing smoke around my ass. Seeing as how I'm fat, I would suggest they use a cigar or one of the Wildfires that like to hit the San Diego area, if in fact they wanted to blow smoke anywhere around my posterior.

Also, it probably smells like crap due the aforementioned funnel. There may have been some residual after the smoke blowing.

insofar as elephants in rooms (this would not work in my house by the way, completely impractical.), it would only be an elephant if it wasn't actually discussed. There is plenty of disclosure though, so it's more of the elephant out in the yard where elephants belong. Not on hot days though. You shouldn't leave your elephant outside on hot days.

+1 This is a quality post! Nothing like a good laugh to get the work day off to a great start.
Cheers!

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
North316 wrote:1) There are currently no reviews posted here from people who did not purchase the wine.

2) I have seen plenty of negative reviews posted on others wines in the past.

3) Get over yourself already. If you don't like/want the wine, simply don't buy it.

I agree with North.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

bhodilee

kylemittskus wrote:I agree with North.

But this would mean I agree with you, and I'm not ready for that level of commitment.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 563 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Uhm, let's stop the bickering, please. It's too early for it.

Back to the wine.

FORUM MODERATOR.............ON VACATION!
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 563 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

jchasma wrote:I went to check out and South Carolina is on the list but it won't let me pay? Any thoughts on what to do?

Mistake on our end. Thank you for letting us know.

It's fixed now so please try again.

FORUM MODERATOR.............ON VACATION!
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

bsevern

quality posts: 109 Private Messages bsevern
dmallette wrote:I purchased this last time and also enjoyed it. I recall that it was a solid purchase and agree with your notes.

... As it is my 40 bottle rack is full and I have a 1.5 cases still in boxes. I know, I know...you feel bad for me. ....

If only I had this problem

daveinwarshington

quality posts: 16 Private Messages daveinwarshington

SEX

SEX

SEX

I'm still giggling because their name has the word sex in it.....

jchasma

ThunderThighs wrote:Mistake on our end. Thank you for letting us know.

It's fixed now so please try again.

Thanks! +1

krobart

quality posts: 0 Private Messages krobart

I'm in for an order. But, hey, wait a minute . . . I don't see the semi-truck telling me I have unlocked free shipping on all of my other woot orders for today. What gives?

chipgreen

North316 wrote:Wasn't the Mirage one of Sextant's lines as well?

Yes

bhodilee

krobart wrote:I'm in for an order. But, hey, wait a minute . . . I don't see the semi-truck telling me I have unlocked free shipping on all of my other woot orders for today. What gives?

they changed that like weeks ago. now you have a shopping cart and it's all sorts of spiffy and fun. You just add everything you think you wanna buy today, check out all at once and BAM! Emeril Lagasse gives you five dollar shipping on everything. If you try to order things separately and check out more than once though you have to listen to Emeril scream BAM! each time and charges you five bucks for each order while throwing essence in your eyes. Which type of essence he throws depends entirely upon his whims.

krobart

quality posts: 0 Private Messages krobart
bhodilee wrote:they changed that like weeks ago. now you have a shopping cart and it's all sorts of spiffy and fun. You just add everything you think you wanna buy today, check out all at once and BAM! Emeril Lagasse gives you five dollar shipping on everything. If you try to order things separately and check out more than once though you have to listen to Emeril scream BAM! each time and charges you five bucks for each order while throwing essence in your eyes. Which type of essence he throws depends entirely upon his whims.

Thanks. I'm old and confused now.

chipgreen

He said he did like it, who are you to say he didn't? Did the Wine Enthusiast writer also have to "save face with the wine woot gods"? Speaking for myself I have no line to tow, wine.woot needs to please me to get my continued business, not the other way around.

bhodilee

chipgreen wrote:He said he did like it, who are you to say he didn't?

Rick James?