WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Vinum Cellars Petite Sirah/Zinfandel (6)

Speed to First Woot:
20m 43.445s
First Sucker:
flymoma42
Last Wooter to Woot:
salseromayor
Last Purchase:
a year ago
Order Pace (rank):
Bottom 31% of Wine Woots
Top 49% of all Woots
Woots Sold (rank):
Bottom 44% of Wine Woots
Top 43% of all Woots

Purchaser Experience

• 0% first woot
  • 0% second woot
  • 9% < 10 woots
  • 30% < 25 woots
  • 61% ≥ 25 woots

Purchaser Seniority

• 0% joined today
  • 0% one week old
  • 0% one month old
  • 5% one year old
  • 95% > one year old

Quantity Breakdown

• 90% bought 1
  • 6% bought 2
  • 4% bought 3

Percentage of Sales Per Hour

3%
0%
1%
1%
0%
1%
3%
13%
10%
4%
18%
3%
5%
8%
1%
0%
3%
3%
4%
4%
5%
8%
3%
3%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

Cesare

quality posts: 1652 Private Messages Cesare

Vinum Cellars Petite Sirah & Zinfandel 6-Pack
$69.99 $̶1̶0̶7̶.̶0̶0̶ 35% off List Price
2009 Vinum Cellars Petite Sirah White Label
2011 Vinum Cellars California Zinfandel
CT links above

Winery website

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

Shyrik

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Shyrik

did woot start collecting CA sales tax? i thought they are based in TX

rjquillin

quality posts: 179 Private Messages rjquillin
Shyrik wrote:did woot start collecting CA sales tax? i thought they are based in TX

It's not woot, it's the MotherShip.

CT

Shyrik

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Shyrik
rjquillin wrote:It's not woot, it's the MotherShip.

Amazon?

jimjacks66

quality posts: 32 Private Messages jimjacks66
rjquillin wrote:It's not woot, it's the MotherShip.

Actually on wine.woot, the wineries are the sellers. So sales tax is calculated based on where the wineries have obtained the licenses to ship.

vinumrichard

quality posts: 7 Private Messages vinumrichard

Hello Wine Wooters, this is Richard from Vinum Cellars. I thought I'd say hello and ask anyone who is listening if you had any questions about the wines?

trifecta

quality posts: 73 Private Messages trifecta
vinumrichard wrote:Hello Wine Wooters, this is Richard from Vinum Cellars. I thought I'd say hello and ask anyone who is listening if you had any questions about the wines?

I have had exposure to other Vinum wine, namely "For a Song" syrah. That was awesome juice that was basically bought out from a failed winery. Is that common for Vinum? Were these wines similar in origin?

Wilson vineyards in Clarksburg sounds familiar too. I seem to remember meeting Mr Wilson at a Dark and Delicious BBQ where he was pouring his own label of PETs.

vinumrichard

Mr. Wilson is the next door neighbor to Dennis the Menace ;). Ken Wilson, I suppose the Mr. Wilson is a 3 rd generation grape grower out in Clarksburg (near Sacramento). It's in our Delta and receives a cooling trend in the afternoon from the San Francisco Bay and moderates the long warm inland days. It's exactly why Chenin Blanc, Chardonnay and Pinot Noir do well her, but magically PETS does well here too. It makes a deep, dark and concentrated red which is actually drinkable in its youth, but will stain your teeth just as we'll...

trifecta wrote:I have had exposure to other Vinum wine, namely "For a Song" syrah. That was awesome juice that was basically bought out from a failed winery. Is that common for Vinum? Were these wines similar in origin?

Wilson vineyards in Clarksburg sounds familiar too. I seem to remember meeting Mr Wilson at a Dark and Delicious BBQ where he was pouring his own label of PETs.

talidal

quality posts: 0 Private Messages talidal

Excellent description for the Zin. Very evocative. Fruit.

vinumrichard

talidal wrote:Excellent description for the Zin. Very evocative. Fruit.

Thanks man. It's a wine we were so concerned about, perhaps it was the first vintage, but maybe more so it was our risk in putting out a restrained Zinfandel for a change. It's been well received, I'm actually drinking a glass now (on a Monday night no less).

jenreuting

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jenreuting

I just want to verify - it's three bottles of each, right?

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 185 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

Not sure if I've tasted a Vinum PS at D&D. Will have to wait for PetiteSirah to chime in.

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 169 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

jenreuting wrote:I just want to verify - it's three bottles of each, right?

Yes, 3 of each year:

2009 Vinum Cellars Petite Sirah White Label 750ml 3-Pack

and

2011 Vinum Cellars California Zinfandel 750ml 3-Pack

cortot20

quality posts: 153 Private Messages cortot20
MarkDaSpark wrote:Not sure if I've tasted a Vinum PS at D&D

I'm sure you did. I think you tasted all of the PS the world has to offer.

CT

vinumrichard

jenreuting wrote:I just want to verify - it's three bottles of each, right?

Yep! 3 Pets, 3 Zin

cortot20

quality posts: 153 Private Messages cortot20

Seem like a solid offer at $13.50 a bottle. Don't have room for it though.

CT

empapel

quality posts: 6 Private Messages empapel

For how long could I cellar this?

sarcasm, geeks & microsoft humor
http://2tothe5th.com

vinumrichard

cortot20 wrote:Seem like a solid offer at $13.50 a bottle. Don't have room for it though.

You're not having a BBQ this weekend? How un-American of you. These wines are Accessible in their slick little screw caps. Opening them is a cinch!!!

vinumrichard

empapel wrote:For how long could I cellar this?

They will both do well for 4-5 years, but why wait ;)

trifecta

trifecta wrote:I have had exposure to other Vinum wine, namely "For a Song" syrah. That was awesome juice that was basically bought out from a failed winery. Is that common for Vinum? Were these wines similar in origin?

So my real question wasnt addressed with your response. Knowing that Vinum buys up barreled and bottled juice, is that what happened with these wines?

vinumrichard

trifecta wrote:So my real question wasnt addressed with your response. Knowing that Vinum buys up barreled and bottled juice, is that what happened with these wines?

That is completely inaccurate. We make everything we put in the bottle. Where do you get your information???

vinumrichard

vinumrichard wrote:That is completely inaccurate. We make everything we put in the bottle. Where do you get your information???

I am not acquainted with "For a Song Syrah". But regardless, we have been making wine from scratch for 16 years now at the same winery in the Napa Valley (Oakville), though it would be more profitable to buy finished wine from other wineries. But I'd further argue that the quality wouldn't be as good as it could be. Authenticity is important!

trifecta

vinumrichard wrote:I am not acquainted with "For a Song Syrah". But regardless, we have been making wine from scratch for 16 years now at the same winery in the Napa Valley (Oakville), though it would be more profitable to buy finished wine from other wineries. But I'd further argue that the quality wouldn't be as good as it could be. Authenticity is important!

I have the bottle in front of me. Olsen Estates fruit. The story I have is that Vinum was the distributor of Olsen estates when they went out of business and re labeled some of the wine under there name. Is there another vinum in the wine biz?

Ah, my apologies. Not Vinum Cellars. Just Vinum.

trifecta

vinumrichard wrote:That is completely inaccurate. We make everything we put in the bottle. Where do you get your information???

Not completely inaccurate, because Vinum does do that, just not Vinum cellars. My mistake. Was hoping it was the same because that was incredible QPR.

vinumrichard

trifecta wrote:I have the bottle in front of me. Olsen Estates fruit. The story I have is that Vinum was the distributor of Olsen estates when they went out of business and re labeled some of the wine under there name. Is there another vinum in the wine biz?

Vinum International is owned by Fred Franzia. I assume this is who you are referring to. Unfortunately, while I think we chose a good name years ago, the word Vinum means wine in Latin. Therefore anyone can use Vinum this or that because given the generic base of our name causes confusion. There is a Vinum Distributing and several Vinum brands that we are often confused with worldwide. A South African winery, Greek, Italian wineries and even one from Hungaria. More to come I'm sure...

random122

quality posts: 6 Private Messages random122

Been pretty busy lately, but I was able to taste this one on my way to bed. *Just a quick note that I enjoy bigger, bolder wines.* That being said, this Zin is gentle and soft. No denying the short blurb in the description about it as tasting like fruit though. Fruit indeed. More specifically, a tartness that I usually associate with cherries. It's pretty jammy and the jamminess kinda hovers around the tongue. Not much in the way of tannins, so there's not a lot of bite. Might be better with food, which, unfortunately, I don't have much of tonight. I'd say this is worth a shot if you're looking for an easy drinker and like your PB&J without the PB and with double the J. Pretty safe looking price point to boot.

vinumrichard

vinumrichard wrote:Vinum International is owned by Fred Franzia. I assume this is who you are referring to. Unfortunately, while I think we chose a good name years ago, the word Vinum means wine in Latin. Therefore anyone can use Vinum this or that because given the generic base of our name causes confusion. There is a Vinum Distributing and several Vinum brands that we are often confused with worldwide. A South African winery, Greek, Italian wineries and even one from Hungaria. More to come I'm sure...

I just googled Vinum Olsen estate and yes, this is Vinum Distributing in Washington state. This is not us, but I think our wines are most likely offer a higher QPR.

noslensj

quality posts: 42 Private Messages noslensj

My doorbell rang rather unexpectedly during the day a few weeks ago. I came up the stairs to answer and opened the door, and there was a Labrador, dressed as FedEx deliveryman. He barked appreively, and placed a bottle of 2009 Vinum Cellars Petite Sirah PETS Wilson Vineyards at my feet. With an affirming yelp, he headed back to the truck and left. On seeing the shipping address I knew I what was expected. So herewith are my notes.

Decanted for 45 minutes before consuming with grilled steaks. Purple color and opaque. The nose was very muted; a bit of earth, with notes of dark fruits. Also a bit of spice – most reminiscent of allspice to my nose. Maybe a bit of cedar. Some modest legs on the glass.

First taste was just before starting the meal, and it was not what I expected. Not much fruit; flavors just as muted as the nose, and what was there faded quickly. Some bite and heat, with just a bit of tannin arriving after a few minutes. The first adjective that came to my mind was “thin”; just didn’t seem like there was much there. I can’t say whether or not it was integrated, because there wasn’t much there to integrate.

The next taste came after the meal started. The wine came across much better with food. Detectable notes of dark currant, prune, black cherry, with a few brighter fruits peeping around the corners. Still not a powerful wine, and barely able to handle the steak, but definitely more character with the food than without..

Not much further change during dinner. DW’s main comment was that she generally liked lighter red wines (true enough, her primary “go to” red wine is a Willamette Valley pinot noir”), and she said this fit for her.

We finished off the bottle after taking care of dishes. By that time the bottle had been open for close to two hours. At that juncture there was more going on with the wine; the flavor notes were stronger and there was more bite. Also a significant tannin presence by now. Although there were more elements present, the package didn’t seem integrated to me. Everything was there but they didn’t seem to come together into a satisfying whole.

But in the finest PS traditions, we did end up with purple teeth!

Based on my notes I would say that this wine needs a significant amount of breathing time, and shows better with food. That being said, I didn’t feel this juice was anything special. There wasn’t anything that was discordant in the wine, but neither was there anything notable. If I saw this on a shelf in a store, there’s nothing that would cause me to put it in my cart.

emmabean2000

quality posts: 6 Private Messages emmabean2000

I had the opportunity to recently try this wine. My wife and I invited my parents over for dinner, and we had two bottles of Petit Sirah to go with our meal. Vinium and Kent Rasmussen 2008. I know, I know. On the surface it would be like Hank Aaron (KR) staring down a fastball that I (Vinium) am tossing to home plate, clocking in at a whopping 55 miles per hour. But, after a few hours of conversation and drinking, we found enough distinctions and pleasure in both bottles.

For the Vinium, we unscrewed the cap and poured while eating a spicy pate. First thing we noticed was the tannins. Heavier than what I expected, but they did not stay long on the palate, focusing mostly on the front palate. We could taste the blackberry overtones right away with the Vinium. Once the tannins relinquinshed, there was a nice finish, mostly berry tones.

Next we uncorked the KR and did a side by side comparison. The KR was more full bodied, had less of an initial blast of tannins, and we agreed it was an overall immediate smooth drinker. However, the Vinium clearly had a lower alcohol percentage than the KR, which for a few, was a strong point for the Vinium. The color of the KR was a bit deeper purple, but the Vinium was not far behind. As the meal progressed, half of us chose the Vinium to go with dinner (peppercorn encrusted steak), and the other half preferred to finish off the KR. In the end, as a group we decided that we liked the Vinium with the light appetizers more than we did the KR. In my opinion, the KR seemed to pair better with dinner, but if I had to serve the Vinium, I would not be reluctant, especially if given some time to burn off the initial tannins.

Overall, we agreed that if we wanted a summer red to sit on the patio and sip while the dogs chase each other around the yard, snacking on appetizers, this would be a great QPR wine. As I am partial to reds, finding a lighter alcohol Petit Sirah on a summer night that will not overwhelm my bank account is a very good thing.

One side note on the glories of WW. I was at my local wine store this past weekend, for the first time in nearly 6 months. I would say 95% of my wine purchases are from online, with 90% of that being from WW. I was surprised when I stumbled across a bottle of KR Late Harvest Viogner. I flipped out my phone and did a web check, and one of the first links was to when WW sold this in 2009 ($13 a bottle, I paid $27!). I felt like I was treated to a trip in the way back machine. Lots of discussion on how exciting it was to have THREE wine offerings in a week, and hold on to your hats, the first WW Woot Off! It was a trip to read the posts, which helped me not only instantly snap up the wine and subsequently make a great poached pear for dessert, but also how WW has progressed over the years. Eleven pages of comments for one offering, great feedback, and a Sunday night hint of what was to come. It’s no wonder why we fell in love with this website. Yes, Amazon may have its fingers on it a bit more, but overall, the underlying passion for great wine is still there! Thanks WD for continuing to stock my cellars!

PetiteSirah

quality posts: 80 Private Messages PetiteSirah

I hate to burst a PS bubble, but my experience with this wine -- which, to be fair, was was limited to prior vintages -- has never been good.

Several years ago, when I was living in DC (so 2008-2009), I tried a few different vintages of both of the Vinum PetS bottlings that were available, and was just not particularly impressed -- insufficient tannins, not enough fruit extraction, hot, thin, and acidic. Just wildly off-balance all around, and across several of their offerings.

I also had it again later at Best Cellars, and it had risen to mediocre and inoffensive. I've never sought out Vinum's PS again, and when it's been an option, I've always chosen to go with something else. But, again, those were previous vintages, and they may have gotten things straightened out.

I'm not one to trash PS, and there are certainly way worse wines out there. But one of the things I love about PS is that it provides bang for your buck, and this one doesn't. At this price range, you're far better served with the entry level Concannon, The Crusher, or if you want to stay in the Clarksburg area, even Bogle (which is much more varietally correct and consistent).

I've never had the Zin, so I can't offer anything there.

Sorry WD, I call it like I see it, and this is one that, based on my experiences with prior vintages, I don't get excited about seeing. Even I can't love every PS out there.

Hail the victor, the king without flaw
Salute your new master ... Petite Sirah!

"Who has two thumbs and loves Petite Sirah?" ThisGuy!

sphervey

quality posts: 39 Private Messages sphervey

Richard, is a portion of the profits from Pets still being donated to Vinum's local animal shelter, the San Francisco SPCA?

fsuman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fsuman

I just happened to share a bottle of the Zin with my family who were visiting this weekend. The main players were my dad (Zin is his favorite, specifically Scott Harvey), my wife (she likes mostly whites and sweet reds) ,and myself (I like pretty much everything except extremely sweet wines).

PnP: We probably opened this a little cold right out of my wine fridge. It was extremely closed initially on the nose but as it warmed up a bit I started getting notes of dark and sour cherry with a bit of raspberry. On the palate it was more of the same. We all agreed it needed to warm up a bit and get some air.

After about 10-15 minutes it started opening up but it still held the same cherry and raspberry notes but I noticed a charcoal-y note and my dad said it had a jello chocolate pudding note. Weird, but I couldn't disagree. We figured it was probably from the barrel. Taste was a little more jammy now but still the same simple fruits it showed on the nose. It did have nice acidity though so we were excited to try it with the skirt steak and vegetables that were grilling.

It paired well with the food, the acidity cutting nicely thru the spicy rub on the steak, but it never really developed into anything complex. It stayed with the same cherry/raspberry note and touch of barrel influence. To really put it to the test we opened a bottle of Scott Harvey 2010 Old Vine Zin. the SH blew it away in complexity and subtlety. It was no contest. The only one who preferred the Vinum to the SH was my wife, which didn't surprise me.

Overall: We all decided it was probably about a 10-12 dollar bottle of wine, a decent weekday wine but nothing amazing.

chriscondos

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chriscondos

Hi Wooters....
I'm Chris Condos, one of the Winemakers/Owners of Vinum Cellars. Let me know if you have any questions on the wines. The Zin is from the cool 2011 Vintage. All the fruit is grown in Paso Robles. Lower alcohol and nicely balanced. Definitely a change from the average Zin.
The Petite is from a single vineyard in Clarksburg called Wilson Vineyard. We have been getting Chenin Blanc and Petite Sirah from them since 1997. Actually when I worked at Pine Ridge in the mid 90's we also got Chenin from the Wilson's too. The Petite Sirah was aged in French Oak barrels for 18 months.
I think you will really like the wines...

sphervey

quality posts: 39 Private Messages sphervey

You had me at the label - yes, an adorable yellow lab reminiscent of The Great Dog Sam, our beloved first puppy, but I digress.

We very seldom drink Petit Sirah and the ones I have (Stillman's) are nestled in the cellar waiting a future opening. We did not decant this wine, just unscrewed it and poured. It was a lovely plum color with a pleasant bouquet. I thought it had a dark, rich nose with hints of chocolate. My spouse said it smelled like hershey bar and strawberry shortcake and upon tasting said in the normal effusive manner: "Yeah, that's a good wine."

It is not a sophisticated wine IMO but I think it is meant to be enjoyed now instead of cellaring for years. It is indeed a teeth stainer with ripe fruit (blueberry, plum) and a hint of spice which I like. The cocoa flavor was also nice. Tannins were not overpowering and we greatly enjoyed it with barbeque.

I received permission to buy more of it, but alas, our state is completely white due to the ridiculous interference of the government in free commerce.

In short, this wine is a pleasant everyday drinker that can be enjoyed right out of the bottle at a decent price. And of course, who can resist a beautiful yellow lab on the label. We did indeed drink a Petit Sirah toast to the Great Dog Sam, and for just one moment felt like he was back with us sitting patiently and drooling in anticipation of a bite of barbeque . . .

chriscondos

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chriscondos

I also wanted to let everyone know that we only made 100 cases of this Petite Sirah. Its our best 4 barrels from the 2009 vintage....

vinumrichard

PetiteSirah wrote:I hate to burst a PS bubble, but my experience with this wine -- which, to be fair, was was limited to prior vintages -- has never been good.

Several years ago, when I was living in DC (so 2008-2009), I tried a few different vintages of both of the Vinum PetS bottlings that were available, and was just not particularly impressed -- insufficient tannins, not enough fruit extraction, hot, thin, and acidic. Just wildly off-balance all around, and across several of their offerings.

I also had it again later at Best Cellars, and it had risen to mediocre and inoffensive. I've never sought out Vinum's PS again, and when it's been an option, I've always chosen to go with something else. But, again, those were previous vintages, and they may have gotten things straightened out.

I'm not one to trash PS, and there are certainly way worse wines out there. But one of the things I love about PS is that it provides bang for your buck, and this one doesn't. At this price range, you're far better served with the entry level Concannon, The Crusher, or if you want to stay in the Clarksburg area, even Bogle (which is much more varietally correct and consistent).

I've never had the Zin, so I can't offer anything there.

Sorry WD, I call it like I see it, and this is one that, based on my experiences with prior vintages, I don't get excited about seeing. Even I can't love every PS out there.

Hey petite sirah man, thanks for your feedback. Interestingly you mentioned The Crusher as one of your faves as I was the director of winemaking for Don Sebastiani for 8 years and was the guy who made the Crusher Petite Sirah among other varietals. That said, I'd be a little surprised if you didn't like this small bottling of ours. The next time you are in Napa, please let me know. I'd like to taste you through our line up of wines; I'm sure we will find something you like, maybe even a petite sirah ;) ... Have a GREAT Tuesday and I hope you have a nice bottle tonight.

vinumrichard

fsuman wrote:I just happened to share a bottle of the Zin with my family who were visiting this weekend. The main players were my dad (Zin is his favorite, specifically Scott Harvey), my wife (she likes mostly whites and sweet reds) ,and myself (I like pretty much everything except extremely sweet wines).

PnP: We probably opened this a little cold right out of my wine fridge. It was extremely closed initially on the nose but as it warmed up a bit I started getting notes of dark and sour cherry with a bit of raspberry. On the palate it was more of the same. We all agreed it needed to warm up a bit and get some air.

After about 10-15 minutes it started opening up but it still held the same cherry and raspberry notes but I noticed a charcoal-y note and my dad said it had a jello chocolate pudding note. Weird, but I couldn't disagree. We figured it was probably from the barrel. Taste was a little more jammy now but still the same simple fruits it showed on the nose. It did have nice acidity though so we were excited to try it with the skirt steak and vegetables that were grilling.

It paired well with the food, the acidity cutting nicely thru the spicy rub on the steak, but it never really developed into anything complex. It stayed with the same cherry/raspberry note and touch of barrel influence. To really put it to the test we opened a bottle of Scott Harvey 2010 Old Vine Zin. the SH blew it away in complexity and subtlety. It was no contest. The only one who preferred the Vinum to the SH was my wife, which didn't surprise me.

Overall: We all decided it was probably about a 10-12 dollar bottle of wine, a decent weekday wine but nothing amazing.

Glad you liked the Zin!!!

vinumrichard

sphervey wrote:Richard, is a portion of the profits from Pets still being donated to Vinum's local animal shelter, the San Francisco SPCA?

Yes, we make an annual donation to the SF SPCA! Thanks for noticing ;)

vinumrichard

sphervey wrote:You had me at the label - yes, an adorable yellow lab reminiscent of The Great Dog Sam, our beloved first puppy, but I digress.

We very seldom drink Petit Sirah and the ones I have (Stillman's) are nestled in the cellar waiting a future opening. We did not decant this wine, just unscrewed it and poured. It was a lovely plum color with a pleasant bouquet. I thought it had a dark, rich nose with hints of chocolate. My spouse said it smelled like hershey bar and strawberry shortcake and upon tasting said in the normal effusive manner: "Yeah, that's a good wine."

It is not a sophisticated wine IMO but I think it is meant to be enjoyed now instead of cellaring for years. It is indeed a teeth stainer with ripe fruit (blueberry, plum) and a hint of spice which I like. The cocoa flavor was also nice. Tannins were not overpowering and we greatly enjoyed it with barbeque.

I received permission to buy more of it, but alas, our state is completely white due to the ridiculous interference of the government in free commerce.

In short, this wine is a pleasant everyday drinker that can be enjoyed right out of the bottle at a decent price. And of course, who can resist a beautiful yellow lab on the label. We did indeed drink a Petit Sirah toast to the Great Dog Sam, and for just one moment felt like he was back with us sitting patiently and drooling in anticipation of a bite of barbeque . . .

Thanks for getting it!!! This is intended to be a drinkable wine now and you also noticed the easy access in screw caps. Cheers to all GREAT DOGS out there.