Premonition Cellars Russian River Valley Pinot Noir 3-Pack
$69.99 $̶1̶1̶5̶.̶0̶0̶ 39% off List Price
2010 Pinot Noir, Russian River Valley
CT link above

Winery website

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

loveladyelectric

quality posts: 23 Private Messages loveladyelectric

I'm drunk, but I've got notes to give on this. It's a great fruit-forward (fruit bomb?) PN. I'll post more notes, but for now I'm in for 2.

nealkb

quality posts: 13 Private Messages nealkb

I just downed a bottle of wellington cab and a Fogarty chard. The design on this bottle alone makes me wanna break my siwbm

Neal K Bharadwaj

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316

"This wine showcases concentrated flavors of plum, cranberry and black cherry with hints of earth, forest floor and oak aromas on the nose. Dark fruits, plum, raspberry jam and spicy oak coat the palette, finishing with juicy acidity. This cool year helped retain its natural acidity, and the heat spikes closer to harvest developed dark berry fruit flavors on the nose and palette. This wine has been barreled for 20 months in French oak, and has warm toasty aromas weaved throughout."

A new incorrect spelling of palate in the description today. Now we are painting!

Anyways. Interesting that lady notes this as fruit forward, but maybe sober notes will be more clear. Their website does not list the 2010, however, notes the 2009 to be elegant and balanced, which would lean towards more old world in my mind. It also appears that this had anyway from 18-21 months in 40% new French Oak, which seems like a lot if they were aiming for a fruit-forward stylistic approach.

With all of that being said. What is the PH of the wine? With such limited production (160 cases), is this being released first to woot and not the public (via website)? If so, why? And lastly, ageability of this wine? (PH might help answer that question.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

twstdvn

quality posts: 72 Private Messages twstdvn

Hi All,
Jon from Inspiration here... Anthony (owner/winemaker of Premonition) is a personal friend.

That said - this guy has a few vintages now under his belt and is making really nice Russian River Pinot from a vineyard that he took over and brought back to life several years ago.

From grape to glass, he's doing it all - and this wine reflects his passion.

Since his first vintage, my wife and I have also been supporting him - buying his wines because they are really good.

Knowing he'd be on woot, I pulled out a bottle tonight to serve w/ my chicken marsala.

Notes of cedar, tar & vanilla are on the nose - sweet cherry, cranberry flavors immediately come out with a nice mocha (& long) finish (contributed by his oak program)

If I didn't already have some of his wines in my rack, I'd be in for at least one of these... If you're serious about Pinot - I highly recommend.

Cheers!
JP

dalematthew

quality posts: 23 Private Messages dalematthew

Man in dark alley: Hey man – you want some ‘shrooms?

Me: Huh?

Man in dark alley: Yeah – I have some ‘shrooms – do you want some?

Me(now fearful for self being): Ah – sure.

Man in dark alley: Shoves a brown paper bag in my hand and takes off running.

Me: (running in opposite direction): This is heavy – what the h*ll – a bottle of wine?

Later that night I get home with a raging head cold (that’s the true part) and as I’m heading out of the country the next day (another true part) decide to forget the fact that I can’t smell much of anything (true) and the chance of travel shock (true) and crack open the bottle.

2010 Premonition Cellars 2010 Pinot Noir

PnP: Color of bright garnet with good clarity, medium amount of legs on the glass on swishing (which was interesting to me). On the nose cranberry/cherry with a bit of black pepper. On first sip this translated to cranberry with a certain tartness and bite of alcohol present, definite earthiness undertones there – maybe just awakening.

A little while later: Much more mellow different characteristics presenting themselves. Cherry on entry (with the cranberry and touch of sour having dissipated). Subtely flowery, but here come the ‘shrooms – oh the ‘shrooms. As this opened up there was a great mushroom influence on the palate – it was very interesting to me and I really enjoyed that aspect. A longish finish. A slight bite of alcohol was still there (it could also be the wine was warming up).

Btw – also really enjoyed this small producers FB page – nice photo documentation of the wine producing process Premonition Cellars FB

Overall, I really enjoyed this pinot – if you’re into mother nature and are looking for a mushroomy / earthy pinot balancing out the cherry – this will be right up your “alley”.

premonitioncellars

quality posts: 1 Private Messages premonitioncellars
North316 wrote:"This wine showcases concentrated flavors of plum, cranberry and black cherry with hints of earth, forest floor and oak aromas on the nose. Dark fruits, plum, raspberry jam and spicy oak coat the palette, finishing with juicy acidity. This cool year helped retain its natural acidity, and the heat spikes closer to harvest developed dark berry fruit flavors on the nose and palette. This wine has been barreled for 20 months in French oak, and has warm toasty aromas weaved throughout."

A new incorrect spelling of palate in the description today. Now we are painting!

Anyways. Interesting that lady notes this as fruit forward, but maybe sober notes will be more clear. Their website does not list the 2010, however, notes the 2009 to be elegant and balanced, which would lean towards more old world in my mind. It also appears that this had anyway from 18-21 months in 40% new French Oak, which seems like a lot if they were aiming for a fruit-forward stylistic approach.

With all of that being said. What is the PH of the wine? With such limited production (160 cases), is this being released first to woot and not the public (via website)? If so, why? And lastly, ageability of this wine? (PH might help answer that question.

Hi North,

To answer your questions, the PH is 3.7 and the TA is 0.61. The age ability of this wine in my opinion is 2-3 years. I did not release this wine to Woot first. I sold a portion of it before it was even bottled out of the winery. I am testing a new marketing strategy to increase brand awareness and was told that the Wooters were a wine savvy crowd. Please let me know if you have any further questions and I would be happy to answer. Cheers and Thank you. Anthony

andreaserben

quality posts: 21 Private Messages andreaserben
premonitioncellars wrote:Hi North,

To answer your questions, the PH is 3.7 and the TA is 0.61. The age ability of this wine in my opinion is 2-3 years. I did not release this wine to Woot first. I sold a portion of it before it was even bottled out of the winery. I am testing a new marketing strategy to increase brand awareness and was told that the Wooters were a wine savvy crowd. Please let me know if you have any further questions and I would be happy to answer. Cheers and Thank you. Anthony

While I have not tasted this wine, definitely congratulations on the bottle design. It is very appealing to me.

wkdpanda

quality posts: 11 Private Messages wkdpanda

To my surprise, a friend happened to have shared a bottle of this with me last week.

Premonition Pinot Nior 2010

Well, I opened this with my fiance, and we made some notes.

------------
Initial opening - I was scared, because when I checked the cork, my nose detected a hint of vinegar! Luckily, I think my nose was off, because the wine was perfectly fine.

Having said my nose was off, it didn't deter me from continuing.

------------
Initial pnp

Color - a clear garnet, nicely shaded all the way to the edge.

Nose - a little bit of alcohol, but very neutral. I didn't get much right away.

Entry - light, with not a lot going on

Mid Palate - light red berries, not much of the cherry I normally get in a Pinot. My fiance felt it was a pale strawberry she detected

End - I tasted something nutty, with tannins on the back of the tongue. She felt she tasted toasted marshmallows - she described it as something like a marshmallow that was toasted before it went into a s'mores.

------------
45 min of decanting

Nose - picking up a bit of menthol? She felt is was mint. Maybe a compromise would be a bit of euclyptus? Again, not a lot of fruit.

Entry - better, with bits of fruit, cherry and cranberry.

Middle - opened up a bit more, cherry and stronger hint of berry with something tart.

End - Fruit and toffee? I tasted a bit of that burnt sugar on the end, but I still couldn't call it marshmallow like she did. Think this is a good charred oak barrel showing.

At this point, it is tasting more like a Barolo than I would expect from a normal Pinot. None of the twigs and leaves that sometimes is predominant in a Pinot Nior.

-------------
2 hours after decanting

Nose - the forest floor is starting to show. I am detecting some earthyness, with a nutty undertone. My fiance gets the earthyness, but describes it more as a truffle like note. Yes, 'shrooms.

Entry and middle - fruit is showing, some cherry, but now it is also showing some darker fruit. I would describe it as a sour cherry note, while she calls it Bing cherry.

End - good long finish that lingers, without the tannins curling your tongue. She still detects a bit of the burnt sugar, but describes it more like the topping of a creme brulee.

------------

So, we now got into raiding the pantry to figure out what this would pair with. Yes, you could go with the traditional pork or turkey, but also maybe with duck. Surprisingly, it also seemed to work with spice. Yeah, now we're getting crazy. Red Devil hot sauce on a piece of sourdough. It worked, the salty spiciness on good sourdough just combined well with the wine. Call us odd.

Sweet didn't work (cherry and apple preserves), just brought out the bitterness, which didn't really surprise me.

Sourdough bread to cleanse the palate - the sourdough actually brought out a bit of the menthol. We decided the salty/sour taste of an olive sort of worked, which after the hot sauce, wasn't that surprising.

Crazily, we tried some Baron's West Indies Hot Sauce with it. This is a mustard based hot sauce with some serious hot. Say what you will, but it worked.

Final food verdict - pair with with some mustard crusted lamb. Spicy if that is your thing.

Overall, a young, but very drinkable Pinot. It benefits from decanting, needing some time to open up.

Scoring - We judged it a 16 on the UC Davis scale, taking points off for Aroma and Bouquet, Total Acidity, and Astringency. Maybe we were a bit critical, but everyone's palate is a bit different.

We didn't think about price, but now that we see the offer, it isn't out of reason for a well crafted Pinot like this.

----------------
Andy the Wicked Panda

sphervey

quality posts: 39 Private Messages sphervey

Interesting article with more background on the winemaker. Clearly he has a great passion for his wines. Mulling this one over.

http://www.lifeinthetetons.com/Jackson-Hole-Magazine/Winter-2013/Grape-Expectations/

strean

quality posts: 1 Private Messages strean

I often get the smell of vinegar from the cork. I keep telling myself not to smell the cork, but I almost always do...and it almost always smells bad...why do I keep doing that?

wkdpanda wrote:To my surprise, a friend happened to have shared a bottle of this with me last week.

------------
Initial opening - I was scared, because when I checked the cork, my nose detected a hint of vinegar! Luckily, I think my nose was off, because the wine was perfectly fine.

------------
Initial pnp

Mid Palate - light red berries, not much of the cherry I normally get in a Pinot. My fiance felt it was a pale strawberry she detected

End - I tasted something nutty, with tannins on the back of the tongue. She felt she tasted toasted marshmallows - she described it as something like a marshmallow that was toasted before it went into a s'mores.

------------
45 min of decanting

Nose - picking up a bit of menthol? She felt is was mint. Maybe a compromise would be a bit of euclyptus? Again, not a lot of fruit.

Middle - opened up a bit more, cherry and stronger hint of berry with something tart.

End - Fruit and toffee? I tasted a bit of that burnt sugar on the end, but I still couldn't call it marshmallow like she did. Think this is a good charred oak barrel showing.

At this point, it is tasting more like a Barolo than I would expect from a normal Pinot. None of the twigs and leaves that sometimes is predominant in a Pinot Nior.

-------------
2 hours after decanting

Nose - the forest floor is starting to show. I am detecting some earthyness, with a nutty undertone. My fiance gets the earthyness, but describes it more as a truffle like note. Yes, 'shrooms.

Entry and middle - fruit is showing, some cherry, but now it is also showing some darker fruit. I would describe it as a sour cherry note, while she calls it Bing cherry.

End - good long finish that lingers, without the tannins curling your tongue. She still detects a bit of the burnt sugar, but describes it more like the topping of a creme brulee.

------------

So, we now got into raiding the pantry to figure out what this would pair with. Yes, you could go with the traditional pork or turkey, but also maybe with duck. Surprisingly, it also seemed to work with spice. Yeah, now we're getting crazy. Red Devil hot sauce on a piece of sourdough. It worked, the salty spiciness on good sourdough just combined well with the wine. Call us odd.

Sweet didn't work (cherry and apple preserves), just brought out the bitterness, which didn't really surprise me.

Sourdough bread to cleanse the palate - the sourdough actually brought out a bit of the menthol. We decided the salty/sour taste of an olive sort of worked, which after the hot sauce, wasn't that surprising.

Crazily, we tried some Baron's West Indies Hot Sauce with it. This is a mustard based hot sauce with some serious hot. Say what you will, but it worked.

Final food verdict - pair with with some mustard crusted lamb. Spicy if that is your thing.

Overall, a young, but very drinkable Pinot. It benefits from decanting, needing some time to open up.

Scoring - We judged it a 16 on the UC Davis scale, taking points off for Aroma and Bouquet, Total Acidity, and Astringency. Maybe we were a bit critical, but everyone's palate is a bit different.

We didn't think about price, but now that we see the offer, it isn't out of reason for a well crafted Pinot like this.

sdfreedive

quality posts: 25 Private Messages sdfreedive

I'm a little lost on all these reviews. I see some indicate jam and fruit leading me to the fruit bomb style of PN, which I like. Yet a lot of other ones indicate a more refined style with earthiness and mushrooms which I've not been able to appreciate as much. Also the winemaking notes on chemistry indicate a drink now sensibility which puts it more in the new style.

I'm so confused. I'm hoping for a few more reviews and wondering if this was an issue of it being such a small lot of wines.

Help!

loveladyelectric

sdfreedive wrote:I'm a little lost on all these reviews. I see some indicate jam and fruit leading me to the fruit bomb style of PN, which I like. Yet a lot of other ones indicate a more refined style with earthiness and mushrooms which I've not been able to appreciate as much. Also the winemaking notes on chemistry indicate a drink now sensibility which puts it more in the new style.

I'm so confused. I'm hoping for a few more reviews and wondering if this was an issue of it being such a small lot of wines.

Help!

This wine was a more California style, fruit forward PN, but did have great mushroom and earthy undertones. It was really nice.

neilfindswine

quality posts: 171 Private Messages neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

Note to self- Wooters take better notes than I ever will. Not much to add here as it has all been said!

I'd say that it is a bigger Pinot - classic Russian River, but with some style and grace that I don't always get in RRV Pinots.

And Anthony is a solid guy with a passion for Pinot.

I report to winedavid39...
...I like getting PM's from wannabe rodents...

wkdpanda

quality posts: 11 Private Messages wkdpanda

This wine is not a classic French Bordeaux style wine. Didn't have a lot of tannins, as I mentioned. Would agree with the wine maker that its a drink now sort of wine.

Huge fruit? I didn't think so, not compared to some I've had, but not overly earthy. I think this is a well made RRV PN, which is different from a Sonoma Coast, or Carneros PN.

----------------
Andy the Wicked Panda

cortot20

quality posts: 152 Private Messages cortot20
wkdpanda wrote:This wine is not a classic French Bordeaux style wine. Didn't have a lot of tannins, as I mentioned. Would agree with the wine maker that its a drink now sort of wine.

Huge fruit? I didn't think so, not compared to some I've had, but not overly earthy. I think this is a well made RRV PN, which is different from a Sonoma Coast, or Carneros PN.

Bordeaux is a blend of the 6 permissible varietals. Cab Sauv, Merlot, Malbec, cab franc, Carménère and petite verdot. French Pinot Noir is grown in Burgundy and thus is called Burgundy.

I'm guessing you meant to say this is not classic burgundy in style.

CT

premonitioncellars

andreaserben wrote:While I have not tasted this wine, definitely congratulations on the bottle design. It is very appealing to me.

Thank for your compliment. We worked really hard on the design and tied in some personal meaning. For example, there are 15 berries in the grape cluster, which was my baseball number growing up. Baseball was the reason I came to Sonoma County in the first place.

chipgreen

quality posts: 197 Private Messages chipgreen
premonitioncellars wrote:Thank for your compliment. We worked really hard on the design and tied in some personal meaning. For example, there are 15 berries in the grape cluster, which was my baseball number growing up. Baseball was the reason I came to Sonoma County in the first place.

"Baseball been berry berry good to me".

premonitioncellars

dalematthew wrote:Man in dark alley: Hey man – you want some ‘shrooms?

Me: Huh?

Man in dark alley: Yeah – I have some ‘shrooms – do you want some?

Me(now fearful for self being): Ah – sure.

Man in dark alley: Shoves a brown paper bag in my hand and takes off running.

Me: (running in opposite direction): This is heavy – what the h*ll – a bottle of wine?

Later that night I get home with a raging head cold (that’s the true part) and as I’m heading out of the country the next day (another true part) decide to forget the fact that I can’t smell much of anything (true) and the chance of travel shock (true) and crack open the bottle.

2010 Premonition Cellars 2010 Pinot Noir

PnP: Color of bright garnet with good clarity, medium amount of legs on the glass on swishing (which was interesting to me). On the nose cranberry/cherry with a bit of black pepper. On first sip this translated to cranberry with a certain tartness and bite of alcohol present, definite earthiness undertones there – maybe just awakening.

A little while later: Much more mellow different characteristics presenting themselves. Cherry on entry (with the cranberry and touch of sour having dissipated). Subtely flowery, but here come the ‘shrooms – oh the ‘shrooms. As this opened up there was a great mushroom influence on the palate – it was very interesting to me and I really enjoyed that aspect. A longish finish. A slight bite of alcohol was still there (it could also be the wine was warming up).

Btw – also really enjoyed this small producers FB page – nice photo documentation of the wine producing process Premonition Cellars FB

Overall, I really enjoyed this pinot – if you’re into mother nature and are looking for a mushroomy / earthy pinot balancing out the cherry – this will be right up your “alley”.

Thanks for the compliment on the Facebook page. My wife and I put a lot of work into it and we want to make sure that we document our journey in a fun way. As for the wine, I agree with your description of the earthiness balancing out the fruit and cherry. I find it to have a great balance and is a fun wine to sit and enjoy as it continues to open up.

chipgreen

loveladyelectric wrote:This wine was a more California style, fruit forward PN, but did have great mushroom and earthy undertones. It was really nice.

Are those your tasting notes?

loveladyelectric

chipgreen wrote:Are those your tasting notes?

Sorry! Just made it back to my computer!

2010 Premonition Cellars Russian River Valley Pinot Noir

This bottle overcame a lot of obstacles on it's journey here, including what I assume was a FedEx employee trying to capture this bottle from it's cardboard fortress using welding tools. The bottle also could have just seen a bit too much of the Central CA heat. Either way, the bottle arrived with the cork busted through the wax top and sitting out about 1/4". Not a good start, but whoa look a pretty bottle!

Because I'm brave, I opened the bottle anyway. The wine has a nice reddish hue that turns to plum at the edges. Doesn't look filtered, but is still somewhat translucent.

Initial nose was mute and closed off. I was sure that the bottle was spoiled at this point, so I just sat the glass aside.

Revisited 30 minutes later to a great bouquet of cherries and darker fruits with an earthy, tannic undertone. This bottle may not only not be spoiled, it might actually be good!

First taste was great. The cherries had a hint of sweetness to them that disappeared quickly but was very nice. There was a great mushroom undertone that seemed to fade the farther I got down the bottle, but that could just be from the heat damage. The acid was great and makes this a wonderful food wine. The tannins would also suggest that this could pair well with more than just seafood, possibly some sausage pizza, jambalaya, or other spicy red meats.

It's good to see that my notes are similar to everyone elses. If they weren't, I'd suggest putting the bottle in the oven for 1 minute, because it was a good PN even with the heat damage.

loveladyelectric

Also note that only 5-1/2 barrels of this stuff are made, so snatch it up now or you could miss out!

andrewtl

quality posts: 22 Private Messages andrewtl

When I saw that blood red P all I could think about was Poizin...

pfffft!

tytiger58

quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58

I like a good RR pinot ...hmm

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

chipgreen

Thanks to everyone for the notes and to Anthony for his participation, Jon for turning Anthony onto wine.woot and of course WD, Neil et.al. for snagging this deal.

Sounds like some tasty juice, the only thing still holding me back is the "drink now" advice since I have way too much wine and some of it is already "drink yesterday".

neilfindswine

quality posts: 171 Private Messages neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

chipgreen wrote:Thanks to everyone for the notes and to Anthony for his participation, Jon for turning Anthony onto wine.woot and of course WD, Neil et.al. for snagging this deal.

Sounds like some tasty juice, the only thing still holding me back is the "drink now" advice since I have way too much wine and some of it is already "drink yesterday".

...sounds like you're in the market for a time machine...

I report to winedavid39...
...I like getting PM's from wannabe rodents...

chipgreen

neilfindswine wrote:...sounds like you're in the market for a time machine...

Yes, plus more friends that drink wine and less that drink beer.

maurakid

quality posts: 7 Private Messages maurakid
wkdpanda wrote:To my surprise, a friend happened to have shared a bottle of this with me last week.

------------

------------
Initial pnp

------------
45 min of decanting

-------------
2 hours after decanting

------------

Wow. sounds like quite a nite there in the wicked panda kitchen.