bkarlan

quality posts: 46 Private Messages bkarlan

Well I was just informed that we are moving to Pittsburgh (from Albuquerque) in the middle of August. So now I have 2 things I am faced with.

1) Moving 150 bottles. Should I high a wine moving company to move these for me? It is during the hottest time of the year to move across country.

2) PA is not on the wine friendly 3rd party wine sales list. Is there anyone that lives near the PA/WV/OH border?

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse..." - John Stuart Mill

rjquillin

quality posts: 169 Private Messages rjquillin
bkarlan wrote:Well I was just informed that we are moving to Pittsburgh (from Albuquerque) in the middle of August. So now I have 2 things I am faced with.

1) Moving 150 bottles. Should I high a wine moving company to move these for me? It is during the hottest time of the year to move across country.

2) PA is not on the wine friendly 3rd party wine sales list. Is there anyone that lives near the PA/WV/OH border?

I'll be right there to pick it up and move it to San Diego.

CT

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
bkarlan wrote:Well I was just informed that we are moving to Pittsburgh (from Albuquerque) in the middle of August. So now I have 2 things I am faced with.

Pittsburgh really is a nice city, I have enjoyed my visits there, but it certainly is not an alcohol friendly state. I am in Northwest Ohio but visit the Akron area every couple of months (south of Cleveland and about 2 hours from pittsburgh). Chipgreen is also in that area and we split\trade a couple times a year.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

chipgreen

quality posts: 178 Private Messages chipgreen
North316 wrote:Pittsburgh really is a nice city, I have enjoyed my visits there, but it certainly is not an alcohol friendly state. I am in Northwest Ohio but visit the Akron area every couple of months (south of Cleveland and about 2 hours from pittsburgh). Chipgreen is also in that area and we split\trade a couple times a year.

Yep, 2 hrs. from Pittsburgh here. Willing to wootleg. Could meet up somewhere in between. I know of some wineries in NE Ohio that would fit the bill but I'm not really familiar with what's across the border. Most of my time in PA has been spent driving through to somewhere else, like NY or NJ.

bkarlan

chipgreen wrote:Yep, 2 hrs. from Pittsburgh here. Willing to wootleg. Could meet up somewhere in between. I know of some wineries in NE Ohio that would fit the bill but I'm not really familiar with what's across the border. Most of my time in PA has been spent driving through to somewhere else, like NY or NJ.

Glad to hear you will be somewhat near me. Would you mind if I send some bottles your way while I am in PA?

I am still debating if I should move my bottles myself, or if I should higher a wine moving company to come out here and do it for me. I guess I should fill out their forms to get an estimate first so I know what kind of price they want. I will be moving a 100lb GSD with me on my first trip. He will be taking up the majority of the space in the vehicle. Granted I will have a trailer, but that is not climate controlled.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse..." - John Stuart Mill

bkarlan

rjquillin wrote:I'll be right there to pick it up and move it to San Diego.

San Diego would have been a MUCH easier move, however their crazy state laws make me happy I am headed the other direction.

rjquillin

bkarlan wrote: San Diego would have been a MUCH easier move, however their crazy state laws make me happy I am headed the other direction.

No arguments on how effed up Cali is!
Except when it comes to wine shipping that is.

CT

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
bkarlan wrote:

you have roughly 97 days until you move. You have 150 bottles. You can probably eliminate 97 by the time you move and move the rest yourself in your car. Unless you have a lot of laying down wine.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

slm9951

quality posts: 14 Private Messages slm9951

You may not be able to get wine from Woot but wait till you check out the Chairmen's selections in their State Stores, which is where you buy wine in PA. The state board goes out into the world tasting wines and rating them. Then, they purchase huge lots of wines from wineries they select and offer them in the State stores at great prices. When I go to Pgh., my home town, for a visit, I always go to the state stores and get some incredible deals on some great wines. Each wine has a description, where the winery is located, a sweetness or dry rating, the grape or blend names listed and a light to bold rating. Not as much info as I can get on Woot, but since I can't get wine from Woot here in VA, it is something I look forward to when I visit! I'm sure the actual method that the State uses is more sophisticated than I have described!

chipgreen

bkarlan wrote:Glad to hear you will be somewhat near me. Would you mind if I send some bottles your way while I am in PA?

Sure, you can send some bottles my way and as North mentioned, I like to trade and/or split so that increases the options.

North316

chipgreen wrote:Sure, you can send some bottles my way and as North mentioned, I like to trade and/or split so that increases the options.

3-way splits FTW

My CT

chipgreen

North316 wrote:3-way splits FTW

We should start with the fizzy Cab

North316

chipgreen wrote:We should start with the fizzy Cab

I just bought it.

My CT

JeffCSzumbye

quality posts: 0 Private Messages JeffCSzumbye

I live in Ohio, but on the PA border close to Pittsburgh. How can I help?

Jeffrey D Cartwright-Smith

trifecta

quality posts: 69 Private Messages trifecta
bkarlan wrote:

As you mentioned, you should get a quote. My guess is that it will be quite expensive. I have relocated large quantities in the past and drove it myself. To be fair my trip was only 800 miles and thus a straight through drive was possible.

I think it depends on how hard core of a drive you are in for. If you have two drivers and switch off, driving straight through, you should be ok (looks like a little over 24 hours).

If you pack up your 15 cases in standard double corrugated boxes (styro take up way too much space) and keep them packed tightly together you will have a lot of thermal mass (approx 1000 lbs) which will keep the temp stable. To help this further you can pack a lot of materials such as blankets or what not around it. Keep the A/C on in the car if needed and make sure you have some sort of reflective blanket you can throw on top of the stack for any sun (maybe an old windshield/dash gaurd).

Just for reference I have moved 120 bottles and have an upcoming 360 bottle move and this is the approach I use.

One thing I would recommend is taking out insurance if it makes sense for you. Your auto won't cover the loss of your wine if someone rear ends you and it all breaks. Wine insurance will cover in transit.

EDIT: I just found this:
http://www.movingguru.com/blog/transporting-alcohol-across-state-lines

Seems like this could complicate things for you.
Snip: "For example, until 2009, it was a misdemeanor in Tennessee to bring any amount of alcohol into the state. SERIOUSLY. (Tenn. Code Ann. § 39-17-703). In Pennsylvania, it still is illegal. (47 P.S. 4-491(11))."

A moving company might have a license for this, or might not be able to deliver to PA at all. In that case, self transport at risk may be your only option.

EDIT2: Even worse
http://noplcb.blogspot.com/2009/10/bringing-any-alcoholic-beverage-into.html

North316

trifecta wrote:As you mentioned, you should get a quote. My guess is that it will be quite expensive. I have relocated large quantities in the past and drove it myself. To be fair my trip was only 800 miles and thus a straight through drive was possible.

I think it depends on how hard core of a drive you are in for. If you have two drivers and switch off, driving straight through, you should be ok (looks like a little over 24 hours).

If you pack up your 15 cases in standard double corrugated boxes (styro take up way too much space) and keep them packed tightly together you will have a lot of thermal mass (approx 1000 lbs) which will keep the temp stable. To help this further you can pack a lot of materials such as blankets or what not around it. Keep the A/C on in the car if needed and make sure you have some sort of reflective blanket you can throw on top of the stack for any sun (maybe an old windshield/dash gaurd).

Just for reference I have moved 100 bottles and have an upcoming 360 bottle move and this is the approach I use.

One thing I would recommend is taking out insurance if it makes sense for you. Your auto won't cover the loss of your wine if someone rear ends you and it all breaks. Wine insurance will cover in transit.

Based on the other posts, I think his issue is that he does not really have the space in the car/vehicle to take the wine, and if self-transporting it, would need to keep it in the moving truck/trailer.

My solution, depending on the quote you get for wine movers, which I expect will not be worth it, is build yourself an insulated crate to put in the moving truck/trailer. You are looking at about 12-case boxes, stacked 3x2x3 is a relatively small crate to build. Some ply-wood and 2x4's should do the trick. Leave some room for some kind of insulatation (fiberglass, foam, padded, etc) and throw in some dry ice and you should be good to go. It won't be the most efficient "cooler" but it should do the trick for the trip. If you have to, stop part-way and add some more dry ice.

My CT

trifecta

North316 wrote:Based on the other posts, I think his issue is that he does not really have the space in the car/vehicle to take the wine, and if self-transporting it, would need to keep it in the moving truck/trailer.

My solution, depending on the quote you get for wine movers, which I expect will not be worth it, is build yourself an insulated crate to put in the moving truck/trailer. You are looking at about 12-case boxes, stacked 3x2x3 is a relatively small crate to build. Some ply-wood and 2x4's should do the trick. Leave some room for some kind of insulatation (fiberglass, foam, padded, etc) and throw in some dry ice and you should be good to go. It won't be the most efficient "cooler" but it should do the trick for the trip. If you have to, stop part-way and add some more dry ice.

I highly recommend not transporting your the wine in a moving truck. The forces present compared to a passenger vehicle are vastly different. The trailer is so much worse that I wouldn't even consider it.

The crate could work, but dry ice (unless you used a lot) would not make much difference when trying to keep 1000lbs cool and it has additional risk of freezing the wine close to it (sublimes at -70F). Focus on the insulation and get the highest R value styro you can get from the hardware store. Also realize that you will have to pack the crate in its final location and unpack it bottle by bottle. Unless you have enough guys or a floor jack to move 1000+ lbs around.

North316

trifecta wrote:I highly recommend not transporting your the wine in a moving truck. The forces present compared to a passenger vehicle are vastly different. The trailer is so much worse that I wouldn't even consider it.

The crate could work, but dry ice (unless you used a lot) would not make much difference when trying to keep 1000lbs cool and it has additional risk of freezing the wine close to it (sublimes at -70F). Focus on the insulation and get the highest R value styro you can get from the hardware store. Also realize that you will have to pack the crate in its final location and unpack it bottle by bottle. Unless you have enough guys or a floor jack to move 1000+ lbs around.

Just to clarify, not sure where you are getting the 1,000 lbs from (maybe your 360 bottles?). He has 150 bottles, of which a high average would be 3.5 lbs per bottle. Thats 525 lbs. Still heavy, but not a half-ton.

My CT

trifecta

North316 wrote:Just to clarify, not sure where you are getting the 1,000 lbs from (maybe your 360 bottles?). He has 150 bottles, of which a high average would be 3.5 lbs per bottle. Thats 525 lbs. Still heavy, but not a half-ton.

Good call. I was interjecting my own upcoming move numbers.

chipgreen

North316 wrote:I just bought it.

North316

trifecta wrote:Good call. I was interjecting my own upcoming move numbers.

And I certainly agree that a moving truck is far less than ideal. I moved my 200 bottles last summer (thankfully less than 10 miles!) and did so with two car trips (I didn't have nice case-boxes for the move so it took an extra trip). I can't even imagine moving it across the country. It wasn't too bad for me, other than the fun of carrying 200 bottles down three flights of stairs by myself, as well as other items we were moving.

My CT

cmaldoon

quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon

All of the work involved in moving this much wine any decent distance makes me hope that I never have to do a serious move with my 300 bottles.

And although it is a lovely place, I am sorry for you moving to PA on the wine side of things.

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

CAGrl

quality posts: 13 Private Messages CAGrl

When we moved cross country (twice in 12 months-California to Florida then back), I just packed it into the back of our car. And any stop we made, we unloaded it. Granted, I only had 4 cases. I didn't even look into transporting because I knew it was going to be too expensive. I drank and gave away couple cases worth of wine.

Sorry that I can't be of any help. Hope you get it figured out!

chemvictim

quality posts: 3 Private Messages chemvictim

When we moved across country last June we stopped buying and started drinking (which worked well for pre-move financials and stress) and carried the remaining 6 cases or so in the car. We were lucky that most of the nights were cool enough that we didn't have to load/unload every stop.

bkarlan

Thanks everyone. I was sitting quietly reading what you all had to say. I will be moving my 100lb German Shepherd with me as well. He takes up a lot of space in the car.

I will go to the local wine store and grab some boxes and pack them tight and see if I can fit them in my car somewhere. I might have to host a party before we leave

bkarlan

Well the drinking of bottles is going slowly to say the least. Only 4 down. However the 81 Zin was fantastic for the price. I forgot the name right now, but I have another bottle or two stashed away.

Still waiting on the quote for the wine movers. After reading I am not to thrilled about moving these things myself in the middle of August when it will be 100 out here in the desert and tornado time when I am driving across the US.

a 1600 mile move is no fun. We did another 1600 mile move 4 years ago. This stuff is getting old.

rjquillin

bkarlan wrote:a 1600 mile move is no fun. We did another 1600 mile move 4 years ago. This stuff is getting old.

Gonna miss having you (somewhat) close for splits and those amazing bottles that your wife brings back.
Offer still stands, I'll come out and grab all the orphaned bottles!

CT

bkarlan

rjquillin wrote:Gonna miss having you (somewhat) close for splits and those amazing bottles that your wife brings back.
Offer still stands, I'll come out and grab all the orphaned bottles!

we are only there for 10 months, no telling where we will be next.

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
bkarlan wrote:Thanks everyone. I was sitting quietly reading what you all had to say. I will be moving my 100lb German Shepherd with me as well. He takes up a lot of space in the car.

I will go to the local wine store and grab some boxes and pack them tight and see if I can fit them in my car somewhere. I might have to host a party before we leave

Obviously Mit Romney is not your travel advisor...

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

chipgreen

bhodilee wrote:Obviously Mit Romney is not your travel advisor...

bkarlan

Update. I am all moved out of my old house and currently living in a temporary place. All of my household goods to include my wine have made it to the Burgh. Everything is currently in climate controlled storage. I won't be there for a long time. Hopefully everything arrived safely.

InFrom

quality posts: 31 Private Messages InFrom
bkarlan wrote:Update. I am all moved out of my old house and currently living in a temporary place. All of my household goods to include my wine have made it to the Burgh. Everything is currently in climate controlled storage. I won't be there for a long time. Hopefully everything arrived safely.

Curious to know what packing/shipping method you ended up with.

bkarlan

I am here in PA and established, kinda. Still a lot of boxes laying around, however I pleased to report that every single bottle made it. They are all back in their coolers and soon well. We have gone through 10 or so bottles between us and the neighbors and we haven't had a bad one yet.

They were shipped with my household goods and went straight to PA and into cooled storage. The moving company said they had to file some paperwork, but whatever it got here unharmed

slm9951

quality posts: 14 Private Messages slm9951

[quote postid="5557513" user="bkarlan"]I am here in PA and established, kinda. Still a lot of boxes laying around, however I pleased to report that every single bottle made it. They are all back in their coolers and soon well. We have gone through 10 or so bottles between us and the neighbors and we haven't had a bad one yet.

They were shipped with my household goods and went straight to PA and into cooled storage. The moving company said they had to file some paperwork, but whatever it got here unharmed[/quote

I was wondering how you made out! Sounds like a wonderful neighborhood with all that wine sharing! Don't forget to let us know when you make it to one of the Prestige level state stores for your next wine purchase.

bkarlan

One incredible nice state store is right down the way from me. I went into their climate controlled room and found my wines. There are some REALLY nice stores down here that carry a wonderful selection.
Now if only PA can get their laws changed to allow 3rd tier (even the WWC isnt) to ship in I will be happy.

And the beer thing is a completely different situation.