Renwood Amador County Syrah 6-Pack
$59.99 $̶1̶0̶9̶.̶0̶0̶ 45% off List Price
2008 Amador Syrah
CT link above

Winery website

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

renwoodwinery

quality posts: 17 Private Messages renwoodwinery

Hi WOOTers - My name is Scott and I'm excited to be offering our wine on WOOT!
The winery has some gems hidden in the cellar and this Syrah was one of my favorites.
Renwood Winery has a unique "recent" history and this Syrah is one that snuck through the cracks... we are lucky to be able to offer it on WOOT.
Do I sound like a marketing guy? YES! (I am.)
Do I love wine? YES! (I do, REALLY.)
Will I be able to answer all your questions? YES! (I hope so... )
Cheers!

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 586 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

renwoodwinery wrote:Hi WOOTers - My name is Scott and I'm excited to be offering our wine on WOOT!
The winery has some gems hidden in the cellar and this Syrah was one of my favorites.
Renwood Winery has a unique "recent" history and this Syrah is one that snuck through the cracks... we are lucky to be able to offer it on WOOT.
Cheers!

Welcome! The midnight witching hour can be hit or miss for posters but they'll be here tomorrow for sure.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

cortot20

quality posts: 152 Private Messages cortot20

anyone receive this bottle from a friend? I am curious about it and would like some notes. It seems like its right in my wheel house.

CT

jimjacks66

quality posts: 32 Private Messages jimjacks66

As I recall and per Google preliminary searches, Renwood Winery went through bankruptcy in 2011. And for some strange reason, I recall some discussion (rivalry possibly) between Peter Wellington and "Renwood" at some point possibly in 2010/2011. As I recall, I very much liked a Renwood Barbera back in 2008/2009. Have not had Renwood since but great QPR as I remember. Would like clarifications from "winery" and Peter Wellington as to the possible facts/rumors from my very fallible memory. Thanks.

cmaldoon

quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon
renwoodwinery wrote:Hi WOOTers - My name is Scott and I'm excited to be offering our wine on WOOT!

Scott-

Welcome! 2008 was a very interesting year for CA wine. Lots of fires all over the state. I have recently tasted a number of wines from Nevada county and found almost all of the 2008s to be smoke tainted and many were unpalatable to me.

I know that Amador is significantly (100+miles) south of Nevada county but it is still in the gold country foothills. Were there fires in or near Amador in 08?

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

cortot20

quality posts: 152 Private Messages cortot20
jimjacks66 wrote:As I recall and per Google preliminary searches, Renwood Winery went through bankruptcy in 2011. And for some strange reason, I recall some discussion (rivalry possibly) between Peter Wellington and "Renwood" at some point possibly in 2010/2011. As I recall, I very much liked a Renwood Barbera back in 2008/2009. Have not had Renwood since but great QPR as I remember. Would like clarifications from "winery" and Peter Wellington as to the possible facts/rumors from my very fallible memory. Thanks.

I don't think it was peter I believe it was SH.

CT

jimjacks66

Cheers!

Perhaps the "winery" reference to "unique 'recent' history" reflects some of the points raised in my post. I would like clarifications.

jimjacks66

cortot20 wrote:I don't think it was peter I believe it was SH.

At least I am possibly on track. I think Scott Harvey is the winemaker I am thinking of.

klezman

quality posts: 126 Private Messages klezman
cortot20 wrote:I don't think it was peter I believe it was SH.

Yes it was.

2014: 42 bottles. Last wine.woot: 2012 Iron Horse Estate Chardonnay
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

jimjacks66

klezman wrote:Yes it was.

Thanks Cortot20 and Klezman for refreshing my memory as to why I stopped buying Renwood wines. It was related to an issue with Scott Harvey. Although the previous winery went through bankruptcy and the current owners should not be held culpable for past owner behaviors, I will need to think about this offering. I did like a 2008/2009 Renwood Barbera very much especially for its grocery store QPR.

renwoodwinery

jimjacks66 wrote:As I recall and per Google preliminary searches, Renwood Winery went through bankruptcy in 2011. And for some strange reason, I recall some discussion (rivalry possibly) between Peter Wellington and "Renwood" at some point possibly in 2010/2011. As I recall, I very much liked a Renwood Barbera back in 2008/2009. Have not had Renwood since but great QPR as I remember. Would like clarifications from "winery" and Peter Wellington as to the possible facts/rumors from my very fallible memory. Thanks.

Your memory is not fallible. There have been many changes at the winery. The quality and the wine makers not being one of them.

jimjacks66

renwoodwinery wrote:Your memory is not fallible. There have been many changes at the winery. The quality and the wine makers not being one of them.

Thanks for this valuable current owner input. Just based on this, I will most likely purchase.

empapel

quality posts: 6 Private Messages empapel

Back to load up the old wine dungeon.
Is this corked? If so, how long could I cellar it for?

eta: never mind. Apparently I just learned to read. 10 years, so I'm in.

sarcasm, geeks & microsoft humor
http://2tothe5th.com

jimjacks66

jimjacks66 wrote:Thanks for this valuable current owner input. Just based on this, I will most likely purchase.

I am a man of my word. At $12 approx. per bottle after shipping and WA sales tax, I purchased this offering especially since no proceeds will go to prior owner.

Renwood Amador County Syrah (6)

Speed to First Woot: 11m 36.992s

First Sucker:Klep

Last Wooter to Woot:jimjacks66

Last Purchase:a few seconds ago

renwoodwinery

jimjacks66 wrote:Thanks for this valuable current owner input. Just based on this, I will most likely purchase.

No excuses for being new to the winery. This wine is really a great find. New paint doesn't make a classic car a bad car. If I can provide any other detailed information I am happy to do so.

smartheart

quality posts: 94 Private Messages smartheart

1. What is the peak time for drinking this Syrah and how far does the "best by" drinking window extend?

2. I'd like to learn more about the references other Wooters have made in this thread re: the winery and transitions and controversies and such. Can any one expand on those? And provide external links? I think many of us would find all that of interest, particularly since the name of a popular Woot winemaker "regular" was mentioned in the posts.

3. Renwood used to have quite a good name for its zins. Is the rep for their zins at the same level it was in the past?

"Three be the things I shall never attain: Envy, content, and sufficient champagne."
--D. Parker

jimjacks66

renwoodwinery wrote:No excuses for being new to the winery. This wine is really a great find. New paint doesn't make a classic car a bad car. If I can provide any other detailed information I am happy to do so.

I eagerly bought (see above) based on my past experiences long ago with the Renwood Barbera. Thank you very much for participating on the Woot! boards and offering. Very much appreciated!

renwoodwinery

jimjacks66 wrote:I eagerly bought (see above) based on my past experiences long ago with the Renwood Barbera. Thank you very much for participating on the Woot! boards and offering. Very much appreciated!

Cheers and enjoy.

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 185 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
renwoodwinery wrote:Your memory is not fallible. There have been many changes at the winery. The quality and the wine makers not being one of them.

Until Renwood returns the Grandpere trademark, this is one Winery I skip. That's one change I'd like to see.

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

renwoodwinery

ThunderThighs wrote:Welcome! The midnight witching hour can be hit or miss for posters but they'll be here tomorrow for sure.

Maybe a good nights rest is in order. See you all bright and early.

smartheart

quality posts: 94 Private Messages smartheart
renwoodwinery wrote:Maybe a good nights rest is in order. See you all bright and early.

Seemed kind of a sudden departure with inquiries on the table.

Hope we can look forward to some detailed responses in the morning!

"Three be the things I shall never attain: Envy, content, and sufficient champagne."
--D. Parker

confusedemmy

quality posts: 22 Private Messages confusedemmy

So, I'm seeing a conflict in the description:
" Aging/Elevage: 92% Used American Oak: 18 Mo. / 8% Used French Oak: 18 Mo.

The finished wine was aged for 15 months in 25% new and 75% 2-year old French & American oak. "

Which is it?

moondigger

quality posts: 11 Private Messages moondigger

I tried this wine last weekend with a friend (fellow wooter councile) and SWMBO.

PnP -- Myself and councile

Color is dark red/maroon. Councile commented, "When you're buying a shirt, that's the color they call 'wine.'" Swirling in the glass produced medium length, thin legs. No sediment was noted.

There was lots going on on the nose. Dark and red fruits, dominated by plum, blackberry and cherry; mild oak, maybe a hint of pepper and cinnamon.

It was less complex on the palate, with the dominant flavor being mineral/wet slate. The fruits that dominated the nose were much more muted on the palate. Aside from the slate, I got a bit of blackberry and plum, maybe some black pepper. This is not a fruit bomb. Mild/moderate acid. It had a relatively short but pleasant finish with very mild tannins. Medium-bodied.

30-40 minutes after opening -- and a few degrees warmer --

The same aromas dominated the nose, but some subtle orange peel joined the other scents and we both noted some heat that hadn't been present at first. On the palate the mineral/wet slate had almost completely faded. This surprised us because it had been the dominant flavor earlier. Without the mineral/slate flavor, we had a hard time figuring out what flavors remained. Cranberry joined plum and blackberry for fruits, but they were still very subtle. Still some pepper. The heat on the nose was not reflected on the palate.

We tried the wine with cheddar cheeses, crackers and pepperoni. It doesn't crackle with the pepperoni like a spicy Zin would, but it also didn't clash with anything. Overall, the descriptor that kept coming to my mind was "refined." I should state here that both councile and I tend to prefer more fruit on the palate than this bottle had, but we both liked it and thought it complemented the foods well.

After about an hour we set aside the remainder of the bottle so that SWMBO could try a glass when she returned later in the evening.

4 hours after opening, when SWMBO returned --

SWMBO complained of a head cold that would severely hamper her ability to provide useful tasting notes, but still wanted to try it. So we all got a pour adequate for tasting. SWMBO could only say it tasted like red wine to her.

The nose was sweeter than it was before, and the heat we had previously noticed was gone. On the palate the fruit was finally coming out a bit -- dark/red fruits as noted before, but a little more up front. Black pepper still there. The finish was largely the same, with very little tannin.

I guessed the wine would sell for around $16-$18 in a wine shop. Councile wasn't sure what it would sell for, but preferring more fruit, commented that he probably wouldn't seek it out.

Summary: this wine has a complex and interesting nose, with a less complex palate. It pairs well with snack foods/hors d'oeuvres, though I don't think it has the full body or tannins it would require to stand up to a steak.

Comments added after reading the winemaker's description and the details of the offer --

Seeing that it's being offered here for $10/bottle plus tax/shipping, it has a good QPR, assuming you aren't looking for something jammy or juicy.

I think the estimate that it could be cellared for 10 more years and get more complex with age is optimistic at best. I'd say this is ready to drink now, and don't think it has the tannin or fruit it would need to lie down for a long time. It would probably be fine for a few years but I think ten years would push it past its prime. In my mind, that's not a knock against it. It's still a good QPR, and I like and appreciate wines that don't need extended time sideways to reach their potential.

As to the history/controversy mentioned in previous posts... neither councile nor I were aware of it. I had heard of Renwood, and had a vague memory of trying one or two of their Zinfandels in the distant past, but hadn't seen their wines in local (east coast) stores in a long while. Our tasting notes above are unencumbered by any considerations other than what we were tasting. Whether that's valuable or not is up to the reader.

slm9951

quality posts: 14 Private Messages slm9951

I can not offer any tasting notes for this wine but have purchased Renwood Zin MANY times. The wine is a light every day drinker with pleasant nose and mild palate. The QPR makes it an easy choice for me. I would buy this if it could be sent to VA.

elweezo33

quality posts: 0 Private Messages elweezo33

I dont know much about wine but my wife likes swet wines.. Is this a sweet wine?

moondigger

elweezo33 wrote:I dont know much about wine but my wife likes swet wines.. Is this a sweet wine?

No, this is a dry red wine.

woottoady

quality posts: 33 Private Messages woottoady
smartheart wrote:I'd like to learn more about the references other Wooters have made in this thread re: the winery and transitions and controversies and such. Can any one expand on those? And provide external links? I think many of us would find all that of interest, particularly since the name of a popular Woot winemaker "regular" was mentioned in the posts.

This is probably more complex and confusing than necessary... but you can start reading here.

The more recent acquisition is detailed here.

elweezo33

quality posts: 0 Private Messages elweezo33
moondigger wrote:No, this is a dry red wine.

Thanks moon digger.. I will have to pass then. You saved me some $

sphervey

quality posts: 39 Private Messages sphervey

For this history buffs, a brief synopsis:

http://www.winespectator.com/webfeature/show/id/45526

Looking forward to more tasting notes!!

circusninja

quality posts: 9 Private Messages circusninja

I WAS a drunken sailor... and we would drink just about anything.

renwoodwinery

confusedemmy wrote:So, I'm seeing a conflict in the description:
" Aging/Elevage: 92% Used American Oak: 18 Mo. / 8% Used French Oak: 18 Mo.

The finished wine was aged for 15 months in 25% new and 75% 2-year old French & American oak. "

Which is it?

I will get clarification on this as soon as I can. Old posted and notes and printed follow up tastings are to blame here.

jmmcm7

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jmmcm7

I'm just here because I want Scott's Avatar! Tipsy Woot Av for the win!

renwoodwinery

smartheart wrote:1. What is the peak time for drinking this Syrah and how far does the "best by" drinking window extend?

2. I'd like to learn more about the references other Wooters have made in this thread re: the winery and transitions and controversies and such. Can any one expand on those? And provide external links? I think many of us would find all that of interest, particularly since the name of a popular Woot winemaker "regular" was mentioned in the posts.

3. Renwood used to have quite a good name for its zins. Is the rep for their zins at the same level it was in the past?

The notes say up to 10 years. However later in the thread there are some notes from a recent taster that say this is a "drink now" wine.

Also, later in the thread, there is a link an article that should clear up your #2 question.

I have had the opportunity to taste several older and newer vintages and believe the wines of the same great quality, if not better. Dave is still the winemaker with some fantastic consulting winemakers added to the mix.

sphervey

http://www.ayearinwine.com/2012/08/a-new-renwood-takes-flight.html

moondigger

renwoodwinery wrote:The notes say up to 10 years. However later in the thread there are some notes from a recent taster that say this is a "drink now" wine.

I guess just a minor clarification. I think it's ready to drink now, or could lie down for a few years without declining. I just think ten years might be too long. Others might reasonably disagree.

moondigger

sphervey wrote:A nice review from Wine Enthusiast:

http://buyingguide.winemag.com/catalog/renwood-2008-red-label-shiraz-syrah-syrah-sierra-foothills

That's not the Syrah being offered here. I think this is the one:

2008 Renwood Syrah, Estate Bottled

cmaldoon

quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon

Scott, I see you're back on. Could you kindly address my smoke/fire inquiry from last night? Thanks!

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

sphervey

moondigger wrote:That's not the Syrah being offered here. I think this is the one:

2008 Renwood Syrah, Estate Bottled

You are right and very quick - I figured out the red label/black label thing and deleted it!