CT links above

Winery website

Previous offers:
8/15/11 (2009)
7/5/12 (Plus)

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

cortot20

quality posts: 141 Private Messages cortot20

Enjoyed their reds but never had any of their whites. I attempted to taste at their tasting room in the fall of 2011 and they were sleeping in despite their business hours stating they should be open. So I never got the chance to taste these wines.

CT

klezman

quality posts: 122 Private Messages klezman

I've definitely enjoyed Roessler wines in the past, including the Big Bend Chardonnay. I don't know whether they use the same winemaking style now as the 2008, but CT notes suggest that is the case. Hmmm...I also said at the time that at $20/bottle it's a good buy. This deal comes in just under that. Guess I'll have to think about this one...

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

loveladyelectric

quality posts: 23 Private Messages loveladyelectric

Here's the description I stole from the website:

"503 Service Unavailable
No server is available to handle this request."

Here's one from Wine Enthusiast:

"by Steve Heimoff
New oak and ripe fruit combine to produce a user-friendly Chardonnay that’s made in the popular style. It’s enormous in pineapple, orange, mango and vanilla flavors that are brightened by crisp Carneros acidity.
— (12/31/2012) — 87"

chipgreen

quality posts: 187 Private Messages chipgreen

Previous Offer of the same deal. Two bottles of each, but 2009 vintage.

sphervey

quality posts: 39 Private Messages sphervey

Nice overview of the Chardonnay on Invino:

https://m.invino.com/wine/chardonnay-r2-wine-company-carneros-sonoma-2010/R2WCBBC.html#.UYkAIn23PMI

sphervey

And from Sauce Magazine on the Vin Blancs:

A silky, “R2” (R Squared) Vin Blancs White Rhone Blend 2010, Santa Barbara, Calif. From Roger and Richard Roessler (hence R2) comes this smile-producing, palate-pleasing blend of Viognier, Roussannne and Grenache Blanc. A few months of aging in older oak barrels allows the creamy texture to develop. Great for dinner or sipping while watching your favorite cooking show; at about $25, it will please your guests – even those sweet-wine-drinking relatives. 

kylemittskus

quality posts: 230 Private Messages kylemittskus
sphervey wrote:And from Sauce Magazine on the Vin Blancs:

A silky, “R2” (R Squared) Vin Blancs White Rhone Blend 2010, Santa Barbara, Calif. From Roger and Richard Roessler (hence R2) comes this smile-producing, palate-pleasing blend of Viognier, Roussannne and Grenache Blanc. A few months of aging in older oak barrels allows the creamy texture to develop. Great for dinner or sipping while watching your favorite cooking show; at about $25, it will please your guests – even those sweet-wine-drinking relatives.

Least helpful review ever?

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

sphervey

kylemittskus wrote:Least helpful review ever?

Possibly, but given the paucity of tasting notes on these wines at this point in time it's just another bit of info for people to look at or ignore.

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg
kylemittskus wrote:Least helpful review ever?

Possibly, but it sheds some light on the provenance of the grapes. When the Roessler brothers sold their winery to Hall, they kept certain vineyards, including the one that yields the Chard in this offer. I enjoyed their Pinots, but the Hall folks increased the prices about 50% immediately, making them not a good enough QPR, IMO, to continue buying it.
I'm sorry I don't have tasting notes, but I've thoroughly enjoyed at least 2 previous vintages of the Big Bend, enough that I almost overcame my SIWBM to grab some when it showed up recently elsewhere. Given my love for Rhone whites, there's no way the WBM will survive this offer.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

Cebar33

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Cebar33

I'm a big fan of R2 wines - they are a must stop for me whenever I visit Sonoma. I was hoping for a repeat of the red deal Woot offered a few years back, but will certainly take advantage of this one. I've never had a bad wine from these folks.......

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg

Coincidentally (or perhaps not) R2 Winery is having a big event this weekend in Sonoma, food, music, new releases. Wish I could get there. If you're on their emailing list, you already knew about this; if not, I could forward it to you, just PM me an email address.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

kylemittskus

Is the Roessler label gone? I know it was bought, but did they continue to use the name for anything?

pnotpdcr

quality posts: 22 Private Messages pnotpdcr
kylemittskus wrote:Is the Roessler label gone? I know it was bought, but did they continue to use the name for anything?

The Roessler label was purchased by the Hall Wine Company. They have decided to change the label to Walt Wines which is Katherine Hall's maiden name. At R2 we have not chosen to use the Roessler brand name moving forward, but do have several wines which are labeled as our Roger Roessler Signature Series. These are small lot wines that are made in the original Roessler style from sites we've worked with in the past as well as new locations that we've started relationships with. With our eyes on the future, there are some great things happening with R2 that we hope you'll enjoy. Be sure to keep an eye out for the Black Pine Pinot. It's a wine you'll see more of as time goes on, and one we're very excited about. Great fruit from great sources and a new winemaker you'll also be hearing about.

kylemittskus

pnotpdcr wrote: Be sure to keep an eye out for the Black Pine Pinot. It's a wine you'll see more of as time goes on, and one we're very excited about. Great fruit from great sources and a new winemaker you'll also be hearing about.

I remember you offering us a 3 pack (?) a while ago. Look forward to more. I really loved your Blue Jay. Best QPR PN I've ever had. I'd love to jump on this offer, but I really have to stick to my not buying for at least the month.

Thanks for joining us again, though!