chemvictim

quality posts: 3 Private Messages chemvictim
bhodilee wrote:did you feel different? Everyone at work that takes them all said the same thing. Within two weeks I stopped taking allergy medications and I feel fine. That's a big thing for me. I used to be allergic to nothing and now I swear I'm allergic to every plant on the planet. I'd blame it on getting old, but it's probably from getting fat.

I read a couple of papers about the altered gut microflora of overweight people vs thin people. What I have not found so far is whether prebiotics or probiotics could help to normalize it.

Edit: I hate to include Sparky on such a weird post, but anyway. Sparky!

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 185 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
bahwm wrote:That good? Darn! We missed it!

Yes it was. Sheldon was classic Sheldon, but Howard was amazing with his impressions (he was the Dungeon Master, and did some excellent impression of celebrities as he gave clues).

Plus, you had the girls playing D&D with the boys!! And the last line will become (wait for it) legendary!

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg
bahwm wrote:That good? Darn! We missed it!

No prob. It's already posted on line. We can watch it tonight.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

MarkDaSpark

chemvictim wrote:I read a couple of papers about the altered gut microflora of overweight people vs thin people. What I have not found so far is whether prebiotics or probiotics could help to normalize it.

In this case, it would have been more appropriate to use "Doc O".

Oh, and Woot Plus has a Rösle 16224 .16 Qt. Wine Decanting Funnel for $27.00, but I wish they had a pic of the filter (or as they call it, the "sieve").

Not that I need another one, but someone else might need one.

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark

ddeuddeg wrote:No prob. It's already posted on line. We can watch it tonight.

You could even watch it with Penny's Magic Potion! (The one that helps her with Sheldon. Leonard asked for double!)

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg

Found just the shirt for Sparky.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

MarkDaSpark

ddeuddeg wrote:Found just the shirt for Sparky.

They even have one for bowtie!

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
MarkDaSpark wrote:They even have one for bowtie!

very true

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

mommadeb1

quality posts: 18 Private Messages mommadeb1
bhodilee wrote:Anybody take probiotics? I work with a lady that swears by them. She convinced about five other people I work with to take them and now they swear by them. I figured hey, where's there's smoke there's hippies so why not give it a try and ordered some. We'll see how this works in the next week.

I take them on a daily basis.... I think they help.. I use the pearls they are tiny and don't require refrigeration. when the kids have upset tummy they go and take extra.. and feel better...

otolith

quality posts: 22 Private Messages otolith

I often tell people to take probiotics while on antibiotics.

As far as feeling better while on them? I'll remain skeptical.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

MarkDaSpark

Don't forget to put out some non-perishable food tomorrow!

mommadeb1

MarkDaSpark wrote:Don't forget to put out some non-perishable food tomorrow!

got my bag of food ready to put out tomorrow!

rjquillin

quality posts: 178 Private Messages rjquillin
mommadeb1 wrote:got my bag of food ready to put out tomorrow!

Do bottles of wine count?

CT

cortot20

quality posts: 152 Private Messages cortot20
bhodilee wrote:did you feel different? Everyone at work that takes them all said the same thing. Within two weeks I stopped taking allergy medications and I feel fine. That's a big thing for me. I used to be allergic to nothing and now I swear I'm allergic to every plant on the planet. I'd blame it on getting old, but it's probably from getting fat.

I didn't feel any different and did it more as a precautionary thing. I was told that the heavy duty antibiotics which I got orally and then a different kind through an IV at urgent care and then when I had a severe allergic reaction to what I got at urgent care I got a different kind through a series of shots at the GI's office that it would be an excellent idea since the antibiotic cocktail I got probably killed off a lot of he good bacteria in the gut. Bottom line........I felt perfectly normal minus a nasty staph infection in my knee and took it for two weeks.

CT

MarkDaSpark

This one is too true!

mommadeb1

rjquillin wrote:Do bottles of wine count?

na...they're perishable if left out!

mother

quality posts: 15 Private Messages mother
otolith wrote:I often tell people to take probiotics while on antibiotics.

As far as feeling better while on them? I'll remain skeptical.

I think oral probiotics wildly differ in effectiveness, they and a yogurt heavy diet are definitely helpful when you're on a strong course of antibiotics.

Not sure if I buy that they'll change a helthy flora enough to matter though.

PS They have had astounding results on C. diff patients by nuking their guts with antibiotics (generally already done to try to beat the C. diff) and then doing a fecal transplant ("Could we trade stools?" man they need to find a better name for that...)

bhodilee

cortot20 wrote:I didn't feel any different and did it more as a precautionary thing. I was told that the heavy duty antibiotics which I got orally and then a different kind through an IV at urgent care and then when I had a severe allergic reaction to what I got at urgent care I got a different kind through a series of shots at the GI's office that it would be an excellent idea since the antibiotic cocktail I got probably killed off a lot of he good bacteria in the gut. Bottom line........I felt perfectly normal minus a nasty staph infection in my knee and took it for two weeks.

That whole story sounds full of suck and I don't envy you for it.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

bhodilee

mother wrote:I think oral probiotics wildly differ in effectiveness, they and a yogurt heavy diet are definitely helpful when you're on a strong course of antibiotics.

Not sure if I buy that they'll change a helthy flora enough to matter though.

PS They have had astounding results on C. diff patients by nuking their guts with antibiotics (generally already done to try to beat the C. diff) and then doing a fecal transplant ("Could we trade stools?" man they need to find a better name for that...)

I read about that once. Cool, yet Why I oughta...ing nasty.

chipgreen

quality posts: 195 Private Messages chipgreen
North316 wrote:From reading the other article, it sounds as if the trademark was held by Renwood (while Scott was a partner) and not by the vineyard itself, even though Renwood did not directly own any of the vines. So basically, Renwood owns the trademark (whether it passed to the new owners of Renwood or not, I have no idea), but has no access to the grapes for which the trademark applies. So a potentially profitable (from the sounds of it) trademark is now rendered useless.

At least that is the what I am gathering from what I read.

A little late to this game but the article indicated that according to Scott, Smerling trademarked Grandpere behind his back. Of course, Smerling denied this but it takes all of about 3 seconds of reading (or a simple glance at his photo) to figure out what a d-bag this guy is. I'm glad Renwood went belly-up under his watch and I hope Smerling crawled back under a rock somewhere.

Pertinent passage below:
--------------------------------
But the history of litigation over the name keeps C.G. di Arie from putting the Original Grandpere Vineyard on the wine's front label, even though it might boost sales.

Renwood ended up with the Grandpere trademark because it bought Santino, which had it originally.

"It was going to be our flagship wine," Smerling says.

Scott says Smerling went behind his back to register the trademark. Smerling vehemently denies this, saying Scott was always aware of the status of the trademark because he was an officer of both Santino and Renwood. Lawsuits have gone back and forth, and Renwood emerged victorious.

"Grandpere has value out in the marketplace, and (Smerling) knows it," Terri says.

Terri says she is legally entitled to a limited use of Grandpere as part of a 2002 settlement with Smerling. Smerling says it's his largesse that allows her to use the name. Both Smerling and Terri agree that she must use the entire name, the Original Grandpere Vineyard, or she can't use it at all.

Vino Noceto and Macchia wineries make wines from Terri's grapes that use the phrase on the front label.

Of Vino Noceto's label, Smerling says, "We sent them a letter. The typeface is too big." Smerling says according to his agreement with Terri, the letters of the Original Grandpere Vineyard must be no larger than one-half inch.

Scott doesn't use the name at all. Instead, both the Scott Harvey Wines and Cloud 9 bottlings say the grapes are from the Harvey Vineyard. Harvey as in Terri Harvey -- as part of their divorce agreement, she is buying his share of the house and land through grapes, and she expects to finish paying off Scott after the 2007 harvest.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/wine/article/DRAMA-IN-AMADOR-Great-grapes-hard-feelings-2617116.php#ixzz2T0kebGfN

chipgreen

quality posts: 195 Private Messages chipgreen
bhodilee wrote:Anybody take probiotics? I work with a lady that swears by them. She convinced about five other people I work with to take them and now they swear by them. I figured hey, where's there's smoke there's hippies so why not give it a try and ordered some. We'll see how this works in the next week.

I've suffered from heartburn for decades but never had a problem with indigestion until recently, approx. 6 months ago. It didn't seem to matter how much or how little I ate, it felt like I was full from my gut right up to my throat.

I ended up buying Culturelle pills after doing some research and reading reviews on Amazon. I also bought a bottle of Florastor because a couple people indicated that it worked well in combination with Culturelle. It took about a week of taking one pill each of Culturelle and Florastor before my indigestion subsided. I continued taking them every day for about 6 weeks, then dropped down to every other day and now taking them about 2x per week.

I'm happy to say that I have not experienced any resurgence of the indigestion and am hopeful that it won't return once I ween myself off these completely. It was a constant state of being uncomfortable for over 2 months so I'm really glad they worked for me.

chemvictim

chipgreen wrote:I've suffered from heartburn for decades but never had a problem with indigestion until recently, approx. 6 months ago. It didn't seem to matter how much or how little I ate, it felt like I was full from my gut right up to my throat.

I ended up buying Culturelle pills after doing some research and reading reviews on Amazon. I also bought a bottle of Florastor because a couple people indicated that it worked well in combination with Culturelle. It took about a week of taking one pill each of Culturelle and Florastor before my indigestion subsided. I continued taking them every day for about 6 weeks, then dropped down to every other day and now taking them about 2x per week.

I'm happy to say that I have not experienced any resurgence of the indigestion and am hopeful that it won't return once I ween myself off these completely. It was a constant state of being uncomfortable for over 2 months so I'm really glad they worked for me.

Now I want to try this!

MarkDaSpark

Happy Mother's Day!!!

mommadeb1

Happy Mother's Day to all the moms out there!!

rjquillin

chemvictim wrote:I read a couple of papers about the altered gut microflora of overweight people vs thin people. What I have not found so far is whether prebiotics or probiotics could help to normalize it.

Back in March, I read THIS from Reuters and emailed to a friend of mine who has done some studies on supplements. Finally found the time to remember to post it here.
I'd also be curious regarding prebiotics or probiotics effects.

CT

bhodilee

Well, since it's sparked a pretty decent amount of discussion:

Probiotic I got

One for guys over 50
for the ladies
for ladies over 50(though we all know no lady is over 50, women don't seem to age over 29...)

chemvictim

rjquillin wrote:Back in March, I read THIS from Reuters and emailed to a friend of mine who has done some studies on supplements. Finally found the time to remember to post it here.
I'd also be curious regarding prebiotics or probiotics effects.

Fascinating! Skinny people, your "gut bugs" might soon be your ticket to prosperity.

rjquillin

bhodilee wrote:Well, since it's sparked a pretty decent amount of discussion:

Probiotic I got

One for guys over 50
for the ladies
for ladies over 50(though we all know no lady is over 50, women don't seem to age over 29...)

So we've learned microbes can survive in some pretty hostile environments, undersea sulfur vents, on/in interstellar space junk that gets bombarded with cosmic radiation, and I'm sure there are others.

My question, do any of these products actually survive the stomach and make it to the bowel to do anything..?
Really?
And once they are there, why would they need replenishing, or is it the company that just needs a cash replenishment?

CT

rjquillin

chemvictim wrote:Fascinating! Skinny people, your "gut bugs" might soon be your ticket to prosperity.

Exactly his word as well;
Fascinating. There are so many things going on in the body that profoundly affect it of which we're totally unaware.

CT

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22

Happy Mothers Day to all the Moms, and everyone celebrating.

I did a 60 mile bike ride while my wife met our son for breakfast. Mothers Day celebration without Dad hanging around. Worked for everyone. Though I missed out on crabcakes Benedict. My wife said they were wonderful. But hey, I had Gu and sports drink.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

otolith

quality posts: 22 Private Messages otolith
rjquillin wrote:So we've learned microbes can survive in some pretty hostile environments, undersea sulfur vents, on/in interstellar space junk that gets bombarded with cosmic radiation, and I'm sure there are others.

My question, do any of these products actually survive the stomach and make it to the bowel to do anything..?
Really?
And once they are there, why would they need replenishing, or is it the company that just needs a cash replenishment?

Yes, there are plenty of coatings that can be put on capsules so they can survive our stomach. Otherwise, you're correct, they'd all die when hitting out gut.

I'm not sure why I'd remember this, but it takes roughly 1,000,000 salmonella bacteria to make us sick, unless it is in cheese, in which we then need only 1. Go figure.

Also, our gut flora can change quite a bit based on our diets. Throw some antibiotics at it, and it can really change it. Hence, probiotics can be quite helpful.

I'm just not sold on them making you feel happy beyond placebo.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir