MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 187 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
trifecta wrote:I don't want to muddle up the main thread, but I just can't even consider buying Renwood after everything that went down between them and Scott Harvey.

Exactly! Or should I say Ditto!

Edit: Me!

Edit2: Info on reason to skip Renwood. (Paragraph 7, I think.)

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

klezman

quality posts: 130 Private Messages klezman
trifecta wrote:I don't want to muddle up the main thread, but I just can't even consider buying Renwood after everything that went down between them and Scott Harvey.

Yeah, when I saw the winery name I was wondering if/how many people would have that thought. I'm on SIWBM so I'm out anyway. Unless the reviews are stellar and somebody wants to give me 2 bottles. Because that's what one does on SIWBM, right?

2014: 57 bottles. Last wine.woot: 2011 Wellington Cab & Merlot, Roessler 2009 Bluejay, 2010 Bell Cabernet
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

MarkDaSpark

bahwm wrote:Oakland, San Francisco, San José in that order would probably be most convenient from a travel standpoint. Pick the one that's the best deal. Book NOW! Prices probably won't get better. Same with hotel. .

What about Sacramento?

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

klezman

quality posts: 130 Private Messages klezman

Anybody have thoughts on the MBP up on tech.woot now? I'm in need of a new laptop, but the 4GB memory has me skittish - since I do a fair bit of data wrangling and number crunching 8 GB is a nicer number. Or shell out a bit more $ for a factory refurb MBP-retina?

2014: 57 bottles. Last wine.woot: 2011 Wellington Cab & Merlot, Roessler 2009 Bluejay, 2010 Bell Cabernet
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

MarkDaSpark

joelsisk wrote:In process of updating CT, now that the wine room has been catalogued ... 4 years worth of wine removed (~120 bottles).

Still need to add the last 4 years worth of (undrunk) wine. (~350 bottles)

I have no idea how many bottles were both acquired and drunk in that window.

I'm not sure how Mark (and others) does this without a bar code gun.

Going to attempt to upload to CT using a spreadsheet...

Entered it immediately off the WW and Wine Club info for the two and 1/2 years (2008-2010) or so, but then I got lazy. Thus the contest last year, before I entered the WW info. Got a prelim count, but that was without adding the Wine Club info (which still needs to be done!).

And of course, since I have been entering the Wine Club info to get the correct count, I haven't been entering the WW info since then either!

Let's just say the the joint wine locker is quickly filling up!

MarkDaSpark

klezman wrote:Anybody have thoughts on the MBP up on tech.woot now? I'm in need of a new laptop, but the 4GB memory has me skittish - since I do a fair bit of data wrangling and number crunching 8 GB is a nicer number. Or shell out a bit more $ for a factory refurb MBP-retina?

Just say No!

But if you must buy Apple, buy one with more memory. Or you could buy more memory to add to that one.

zTimothyBz

quality posts: 2 Private Messages zTimothyBz
MarkDaSpark wrote:Let's just say the the joint wine locker is quickly filling up!

Fortunately, you still have the 48-case long term locker as well.

When are you making a thread for the next So Cal?

Official holder of unofficial, unauthorized, non-woot gatherings.
My cellar

MarkDaSpark

zTimothyBz wrote:Fortunately, you still have the 48-case long term locker as well.

When are you making a thread for the next So Cal?

Soon. But wasn't someone else going to host too? IIRC, wasn't sukeiasa coming out in June/July?

Edit: PSquishy offered to host the next one, but you had yours first. So maybe one in June at PSquishy's? And sukeiasa is coming out to our wine locker, so we should host it then (in July?).

MarkDaSpark

Bueller?

InFrom

quality posts: 34 Private Messages InFrom
MarkDaSpark wrote:Exactly! Or should I say Ditto!

Edit: Me!

Edit2: Info on reason to skip Renwood. (Paragraph 7, I think.)

Does Scott's comment in the thread change any of that for you guys?

MarkDaSpark

InFrom wrote:Does Scott's comment in the thread change any of that for you guys?

Not for me, until Renwood returns the Grandpere trademark to Terri.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 233 Private Messages kylemittskus
MarkDaSpark wrote:Not for me, until Renwood returns the Grandpere trademark to Terri.

Can you explain what happened, Sparky?

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

kylemittskus

MarkDaSpark wrote:Edit: PSquishy offered to host the next one, but you had yours first. So maybe one in June at PSquishy's? And sukeiasa is coming out to our wine locker, so we should host it then (in July?).

We can definitely host the next one. We're off the 210 just west of the 15. Pretty far for most of you, but if you guys don't mind...

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
kylemittskus wrote:Can you explain what happened, Sparky?

There was a link to an article on the main offer page which goes over it in pretty good detail. It is a little long, but not knowing about any of this previously, was very informative.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

MarkDaSpark

kylemittskus wrote:We can definitely host the next one. We're off the 210 just west of the 15. Pretty far for most of you, but if you guys don't mind...

Go ahead and start the thread for that one (in June?), and I'll start the one for July at our Wine Locker.

kylemittskus

North316 wrote:There was a link to an article on the main offer page which goes over it in pretty good detail. It is a little long, but not knowing about any of this previously, was very informative.

I found what Sparky was talking about:

Now Terri owns the house and the vineyard, though Scott still gets some grapes from the property as part of their divorce settlement. But in a twist of law, they lost the trademark "Grandpere" to Renwood. So Renwood makes a Grandpere wine -- without any grapes from the vineyard, because Terri refuses to sell them to Renwood -- and Scott does not.

Pretty odd. I wonder what the "twist of law" was.

North316

kylemittskus wrote:Pretty odd. I wonder what the "twist of law" was.

From reading the other article, it sounds as if the trademark was held by Renwood (while Scott was a partner) and not by the vineyard itself, even though Renwood did not directly own any of the vines. So basically, Renwood owns the trademark (whether it passed to the new owners of Renwood or not, I have no idea), but has no access to the grapes for which the trademark applies. So a potentially profitable (from the sounds of it) trademark is now rendered useless.

At least that is the what I am gathering from what I read.

My CT

bahwm

quality posts: 34 Private Messages bahwm
MarkDaSpark wrote:What about Sacramento?

From where we're going to be, in Redwood City, Sacramento is not an option for providing alternate wootmobile services. If anybody else wants to fly into Sacramento, it looks like it would work.

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

CAGrl

quality posts: 13 Private Messages CAGrl
bahwm wrote:From where we're going to be, in Redwood City, Sacramento is not an option for providing alternate wootmobile services. If anybody else wants to fly into Sacramento, it looks like it would work.

By the way, if you're going to be in Redwood City, we'll have to try and meet up before the wootception. Hubby and I live in Palo Alto.

mommadeb1

quality posts: 18 Private Messages mommadeb1
bhodilee wrote:Mine has a bladder infection, and he's a prick, but that has nothing to do with the bladder infection.

good luck with that, I think my dog has some sort of nerve damamge...then if there is even a hint of her hurting... she freaks out..... figures I get the drama queen dog!!

mommadeb1

bahwm wrote:From where we're going to be, in Redwood City, Sacramento is not an option for providing alternate wootmobile services. If anybody else wants to fly into Sacramento, it looks like it would work.

I know this is early.. but are there any pre or post wootception plans?

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
mommadeb1 wrote:I know this is early.. but are there any pre or post wootception plans?

thread!

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

mommadeb1

cheron98 wrote:thread!

Thank you!!

kylemittskus

So Cal #26 thread started. Check in with dates, ideas, and insults at your convenience.

MarkDaSpark

Happy Birthday to Corrado!!

Happy Birthday to Corrado!!!

☆¸.•°*”˜˜”*°•.¸☆ ★ ☆¸.•°*”˜˜”*°•.¸☆
╔╗╔╦══╦═╦═╦╗╔╗ ★ ★ ★
║╚╝║══║═║═║╚╝║ ☆¸.•°*”˜˜”*°•.¸☆
║╔╗║╔╗║╔╣╔╩╗╔╝ ★ ☆ BIRTHDAY !!
╚╝╚╩╝╚╩╝╚╝═╚╝ ♥¥☆★☆★☆¥♥ ★☆

Edit: We are still blaming him for everything, right?

MarkDaSpark

I seriously need one of these!

North316

MarkDaSpark wrote:I seriously need one of these!

After a week in Vegas I really need to make some T-shirts that say "No We Don't Want Any of Your Damn Free Show Tickets or Dinners" to wear next time I go.

My CT

rjquillin

quality posts: 189 Private Messages rjquillin
MarkDaSpark wrote:Happy Birthday to Corrado!!

Edit: We are still blaming him for everything, right?

Seems perfectly logical as long as he's MIA and unwilling to defend himself.

CT

kylemittskus

Where is everyone????

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
kylemittskus wrote:Where is everyone????

Glee season finale, duh.

Everyone is busy gouging out their ear drums.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

bahwm

Worked late, went out to dinner and then, to see a play called "The Clean House". Wonderfully funny and tragically sad. Loved it!

Now, off to bed. G'night all!

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

MarkDaSpark

It's Corrado's Fault!!!!

And I may have to keep tonight's episode of The Big Bang Theory on my DVR.

Or at least until I buy this season's set.

bahwm

MarkDaSpark wrote:It's Corrado's Fault!!!!

And I may have to keep tonight's episode of The Big Bang Theory on my DVR.

Or at least until I buy this season's set.

That good? Darn! We missed it!

bhodilee

Anybody take probiotics? I work with a lady that swears by them. She convinced about five other people I work with to take them and now they swear by them. I figured hey, where's there's smoke there's hippies so why not give it a try and ordered some. We'll see how this works in the next week.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22
bhodilee wrote:Anybody take probiotics? I work with a lady that swears by them. She convinced about five other people I work with to take them and now they swear by them. I figured hey, where's there's smoke there's hippies so why not give it a try and ordered some. We'll see how this works in the next week.

Jumping right in, huh? Maybe you should start with amateur biotics?

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

bhodilee

polarbear22 wrote:Jumping right in, huh? Maybe you should start with amateur biotics?

Well, I'm famous for my questionable food decisions, so I've been putting amateur bacteria in my body for a long time. Figured I'd step up to the big time.

cortot20

quality posts: 161 Private Messages cortot20
bhodilee wrote:Anybody take probiotics? I work with a lady that swears by them. She convinced about five other people I work with to take them and now they swear by them. I figured hey, where's there's smoke there's hippies so why not give it a try and ordered some. We'll see how this works in the next week.

I've only taken them after heavy duty antibiotics. And............well, I'm not dead.

CT

bhodilee

cortot20 wrote:I've only taken them after heavy duty antibiotics. And............well, I'm not dead.

did you feel different? Everyone at work that takes them all said the same thing. Within two weeks I stopped taking allergy medications and I feel fine. That's a big thing for me. I used to be allergic to nothing and now I swear I'm allergic to every plant on the planet. I'd blame it on getting old, but it's probably from getting fat.

chemvictim

quality posts: 4 Private Messages chemvictim

If patent applicants (especially the Japanese) are to be believed, probiotics will heal everything.

kylemittskus

I just asked my GI about them Wednesday afternoon. He said after taking them for 6 weeks (long enough to actually alter the flora of the gut), they work for 50% of people. No harm and maybe benefits. I originally asked because I thought it was all BS, as is my assumption about most of the popular-now medical ideas.