quality posts: 1694 Private Messages Cesare

Alderbrook Dry Creek Valley Zinfandel Port Half-Bottle 3-Pack
$39.99 $̶9̶7̶.̶0̶0̶ 59% off List Price
2007 Alderbrook Winery Zinfandel Port, Dry Creek Valley, Sonoma County 375ml

Winery website

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

jimjacks66

quality posts: 32 Private Messages jimjacks66

Port is seen very infrequently on Woot. A Zin Port even more rare. Jumped at the chance to buy this Zin Port from Sonoma County. The jump made me First Sucker. Woot!

Winedavid39

quality posts: 214 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

jimjacks66 wrote:Port is seen very infrequently on Woot. A Zin Port even more rare. Jumped at the chance to buy this Zin Port from Sonoma County. The jump made me First Sucker. Woot!

nice work! this is a great offer.

enjoy.

rjquillin

quality posts: 189 Private Messages rjquillin
Winedavid39 wrote:nice work! this is a great offer.

enjoy.

A very pleasant uptick in activity compared to the past couple days.

Budget limited me to a single woot on this. Last had their '99 Zin at the SoCal Zin event just awhile back.

CT

jamesbottomtooth

quality posts: 41 Private Messages jamesbottomtooth

375ml

almost bought some..

ghyo1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages ghyo1

The retail on this is $28.00/375ml plus shipping. Here, it is $15.00 including shipping. If you like port it's a great deal. Alderbrook is a good producer.

cortot20

quality posts: 161 Private Messages cortot20

Sounds interesting. I won't be in town when it ships though, bummer.

CT

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 617 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

cortot20 wrote:Sounds interesting. I won't be in town when it ships though, bummer.

Friends, neighbors, country men, lend me your post box.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 187 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

cjsiege wrote:

List of previous WW gatherings by area. New list in the Gatherings tab and Old list in the Community tab. Great reading and great examples of how to set up a Get-Together Thread.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Upcoming Woot Wine Gatherings…All The News for the week of May 5

Cinco de Mayo! A perfect theme for your next local Get-Together! Host a Get-Together in your area!

May
5/24: Mid-May Somewhere Between Western NY and Cleveland

June
6/1: NorCal #17: Classified Bordeaux Tasting
6/1: NoVA/DC #29: Second Annual Picnic By The Pool
6/15: NorCal #18: WineSmith BBQ in Santa Rosa
6/15: DFW #?: Sakhuu Thai Please RSVP by June 7.

Pending
TBD: SeaTac & Western Washington Interest Thread.
TBD: NYC Tasting #??: A Tribute (interest thread)
TBD: Dallas #11

No events in your area??? Start one! Create an interest thread in the GATHERINGS Community Tab.

So join or create a WW Gathering!

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark

jamesbottomtooth wrote:375ml

almost bought some..

Then you'll be missing out on most Zin Port (and Port) offers ... most of them will be 375ml bottles.

Hmmm, in for 1 or 2?

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark

cortot20 wrote:Sounds interesting. I won't be in town when it ships though, bummer.

If only you knew someone who had a wine locker ... and doesn't drink their own wine!

* Note that it doesn't say I won't drink someone else's wine!

klezman

quality posts: 130 Private Messages klezman
rjquillin wrote:A very pleasant uptick in activity compared to the past couple days.

Budget limited me to a single woot on this. Last had their '99 Zin at the SoCal Zin event just awhile back.

That's where I've seen the name before! I wish I remembered what I thought of that wine...would help me out here. Or molarchae will just buy it, you never know.

2014: 57 bottles. Last wine.woot: 2011 Wellington Cab & Merlot, Roessler 2009 Bluejay, 2010 Bell Cabernet
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

cortot20

MarkDaSpark wrote:If only you knew someone who had a wine locker ... and doesn't drink their own wine!

* Note that it doesn't say I won't drink someone else's wine!

Last time I was told of a holding charge so I changed my mind.

CT

chipgreen

quality posts: 207 Private Messages chipgreen

Most of my Port style wines are 500ml but all my Zinfandel Ports are 375. Interesting, never noticed that before. About to add 3 more and break my 29 day SIWBM, a near-record!

(Last Wooter to Woot: chipgreen)

greyday

quality posts: 55 Private Messages greyday

How long will you be gone? They'll hold it at ups or FedEx (however it ships) for you for at least a week....

greyday

quality posts: 55 Private Messages greyday
MarkDaSpark wrote:Then you'll be missing out on most Zin Port (and Port) offers ... most of them will be 375ml bottles.

Agreed. In my experience, most ice wines and ports are 375. I bottled my plum/Syrah "port" in 375s...

slm9951

quality posts: 14 Private Messages slm9951

I LOVE Zin port!! It seems to have a little more character than porto and tawney. Wish I could purchase, darn old VA.

j105

quality posts: 1 Private Messages j105

I'm in for one...I don't know about anyone else but I never finish a bottle of port at one time...I love that these are 375's

artjunkie

quality posts: 5 Private Messages artjunkie

Forgive my ignorance... I've never had a Zin port. I like a tawney port better than a ruby port. Would I like this?

rckwoot

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rckwoot
ThunderThighs wrote:Friends, neighbors, country men, lend me your post box.

Blasted greedy politicians. Gotta blame somebody since the winery doesn't ship to Conn. :-(

moondigger

quality posts: 11 Private Messages moondigger

I tried port once, about 15 years ago. Didn't like it. I don't remember what particular kind it was.

I've been thinking recently that I should give it another try. There are plenty of options at my local wine sellers, but I have no idea what a good choice would be.

Is there a compelling reason to pick this particular woot offer over just picking something off the shelf locally? The obvious disadvantage of the woot offer is that if I don't like it, I'm stuck with two unopened bottles and a $50 hole in my wallet.

confusedemmy

quality posts: 24 Private Messages confusedemmy
moondigger wrote:I tried port once, about 15 years ago. Didn't like it. I don't remember what particular kind it was.

I've been thinking recently that I should give it another try. There are plenty of options at my local wine sellers, but I have no idea what a good choice would be.

Is there a compelling reason to pick this particular woot offer over just picking something off the shelf locally? The obvious disadvantage of the woot offer is that if I don't like it, I'm stuck with two unopened bottles and a $50 hole in my wallet.

I'd recommend tossing down about $20 and picking up a bottle of Otima port to test whether or not you like it in general. That said, if you like Zin and you like dessert wines, this is a good deal and a good drink.

kaolis

quality posts: 28 Private Messages kaolis
artjunkie wrote:Forgive my ignorance... I've never had a Zin port. I like a tawney port better than a ruby port. Would I like this?

If you like tawny port vs ruby this may not be in your wheelhouse. The tawny typically has toffee, apricot, nutty characteristics brought on by wood aging. Ruby port sees no wood during fermentation and bottled fresh and fruity.

kaolis

quality posts: 28 Private Messages kaolis
confusedemmy wrote:I'd recommend tossing down about $20 and picking up a bottle of Otima port to test whether or not you like it in general. That said, if you like Zin and you like dessert wines, this is a good deal and a good drink.

Otima is a tawny port and not really a similar style to a Zin port. Four Vines makes a zin port in the $15/375ml retail range that is pretty available in larger markets that would be a good intro.

jmdavidson

quality posts: 59 Private Messages jmdavidson

I was never a port drinker, but within the last year I have tried Pedroncelli's Vintage Port Four Grapes and Laura Zahtila's Zin Port. Both were delicious. This sounds like it is in that realm of delicious.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 233 Private Messages kylemittskus
cortot20 wrote:Last time I was told of a holding charge so I changed my mind.

Ship to me if you want.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

moondigger

Confusedemmy and kaolis -- thanks for the feedback. I'll see what I can find locally.

rjquillin

quality posts: 189 Private Messages rjquillin
moondigger wrote:Is there a compelling reason to pick this particular woot offer over just picking something off the shelf locally? The obvious disadvantage of the woot offer is that if I don't like it, I'm stuck with two unopened bottles and a $50 hole in my wallet.

Good producer, about 1/2 average CT price, so good value and not something you'd likely pick up locally.

You would have absolutely NO problem disposing of this to other port wooters should you be displeased.

CT

Igannon

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Igannon

The specs list this as having an RS of .09876%. I'm guessing that's supposed to be 9.876% (0.9876*100)? Otherwise that would be the driest port I've ever heard of.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 617 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Igannon wrote:The specs list this as having an RS of .09876%. I'm guessing that's supposed to be 9.876% (0.9876*100)? Otherwise that would be the driest port I've ever heard of.

I'll send that in for checking. Good catch.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

moondigger

rjquillin wrote:You would have absolutely NO problem disposing of this to other port wooters should you be displeased.

On several occasions in the past, I've been interested in various wine offers discussed here--some VERY popular--and have posted something to the effect of: "I'd like this, but not all of it. Anybody want to split? I'm in the Syracuse/Utica/Rome area of NY state."

I've never had a bite. I'm starting to think there are no active wine wooters nearby.

alderbrookmanager

quality posts: 1 Private Messages alderbrookmanager

Good morning everyone. I am the tasting room manager at Alderbrook. Here is a little info about the port we have up for sale today.

It is a zinfandel port so that means it is not a tawny or a ruby port, but a zinfandel that is fortified with brandy in its own style. It has very little residual sugar so it is not overly sweet. It is also not very thick or syrupy like other ports can be. You will get most of the characteristics of the zinfandel on the pallet with a desert style twist on the finish.

Hope that answers some of your questions

alderbrookmanager

ThunderThighs wrote:I'll send that in for checking. Good catch.

It is a very dry port. Less that 1% RS

moondigger

Given the low RS number and the winery rep's comment about it being "very dry," I'm thinking this might actually be a port I will like. (One of the things I didn't like with that one taste I had many years ago was how sweet it was.)

So I'll try again here:

I'm interested in this offer, but three bottles might be too much. Does anybody want a bottle? I'm in the Syracuse/Utica/Rome area of New York state.

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
alderbrookmanager wrote:It is a very dry port. Less that 1% RS

So, 18%+ alcohol and less than 1% RS, this sounds like a burner. I was in for sure, but now I need to reconsider. The few ports I have disliked (which isn't many), have been rather hot and the alcohol overwhelming. I'm fearing this may be out of my wheelhouse.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

alderbrookmanager

North316 wrote:So, 18%+ alcohol and less than 1% RS, this sounds like a burner. I was in for sure, but now I need to reconsider. The few ports I have disliked (which isn't many), have been rather hot and the alcohol overwhelming. I'm fearing this may be out of my wheelhouse.

I understand your concerns about the possibility of it drinking "hot", but this port drinks very much like a zin with just the right amount of sweetness (just a touch) so that it really does not have an alcoholic taste to it.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 233 Private Messages kylemittskus
alderbrookmanager wrote:I understand your concerns about the possibility of it drinking "hot", but this port drinks very much like a zin with just the right amount of sweetness (just a touch) so that it really does not have an alcoholic taste to it.

I'm a little confused about the philosophy here. If the RS is so low, why not just make a 1% RS Zin? Why add the grape brandy? I love Port, but I love Port for the sweetness along with all the complexities that come along with it. Making an almost dry "port" seems kind of odd. Can you explain your reasoning behind the decisions? Thanks for jumping in with us.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

sandig7

quality posts: 2 Private Messages sandig7
kylemittskus wrote:I'm a little confused about the philosophy here. If the RS is so low, why not just make a 1% RS Zin? Why add the grape brandy? I love Port, but I love Port for the sweetness along with all the complexities that come along with it. Making an almost dry "port" seems kind of odd. Can you explain your reasoning behind the decisions? Thanks for jumping in with us.

Good question. I think I'll have to get one just to try it out but shall wait for the response. I'm very lucky, in that, I have many friends who are happy to accept my, free, rejects. :D

cortot20

kylemittskus wrote:I'm a little confused about the philosophy here. If the RS is so low, why not just make a 1% RS Zin? Why add the grape brandy? I love Port, but I love Port for the sweetness along with all the complexities that come along with it. Making an almost dry "port" seems kind of odd. Can you explain your reasoning behind the decisions? Thanks for jumping in with us.

My guess is that these grapes are way over ripe and they managed to get the sugar almost completely converted. It is odd since the addition of brandy usually stops fermentation but also changes the flavor of the wine. I already purchased but am also curious.

CT