cjsiege

quality posts: 13 Private Messages cjsiege

2nd Annual Picnic by the Pool

SubTheme: "Bring Out Your Dead" -
Time to clear out all of the old, "dead" whites (and others) to make room in your cellar for the new ones!

Date: Saturday, June 1, 2013
Time: 3:00pm -
Host: hershelk

Updated 5/31

It has been a year since the last blowout and it is time for another Picnic by the Pool, so bring your swim suits (or not) and your favorite summer wines. We could do a sub theme like grilled meats and South American Wines or all American wines with hot dogs, hamburgers and apple pie. Let me know your thoughts.

Coming
hershelk +3 (sausages and turkey burgers, cookies)
mstein609 (red meat)
aranderson +2 (guacamole)
sukeiasa +1?
cjsiege (Greek marinated chicken)
InShadows +2? (chips and fruit salsa)
tripgrad +1 (stuffed grape leaves)

Maybe
kkv123
iByron

cjsiege

I'm putting myself in as a maybe for now. There are a few things happening on the home front that are still ill defined.

aranderson

quality posts: 1 Private Messages aranderson

I just realized this is the weekend of the Bull Run wine festival. I should still be able to attend and I may or may not have +2 (depends on if they are working the festival that day).

CT

sukeiasa

quality posts: 6 Private Messages sukeiasa

Looks like my weekend just cleared up...
Lets do bubbles again!
Or a 'I need to clear cellar space and I'm not sure if these are still good' tasting...

wine woot gatherings: manchego dinner, '11 cyber pub bottling, '12 cyber pub bottling, DMV #25, #26, #28, #29, #29.5 NY #19, NY #20; socal #22

cjsiege

sukeiasa wrote:Looks like my weekend just cleared up...
Lets do bubbles again!
Or a 'I need to clear cellar space and I'm not sure if these are still good' tasting...

We could do do a "Bring out your dead" sort of theme. Clear out last year's whites to get ready for summer?

As long as there isn't too much chaos in life, I'll be there. And I'll bring my Greek Marinated chicken breasts for the grill. Maybe some of Wegman's Baked Potato salad, too.

hershelk

quality posts: 6 Private Messages hershelk
cjsiege wrote:We could do do a "Bring out your dead" sort of theme. Clear out last year's whites to get ready for summer?

As long as there isn't too much chaos in life, I'll be there. And I'll bring my Greek Marinated chicken breasts for the grill. Maybe some of Wegman's Baked Potato salad, too.

Let's hope there is not too much chaos. It's been too long. Yum on the chicken. I've got some older white that should be drunk and maybe an older CA Pinot or Syrah which might be good chilled by the pool. We'll see what people plan to bring foodwise and I'll try to fill in the gaps.

CT

aranderson

quality posts: 1 Private Messages aranderson

I am fairly certain I have some whites that need to be drunk and I can make guacamole again.

CT

iByron

quality posts: 40 Private Messages iByron

Maybe.

It's been a rough couple of months.

iByron

iByron's iCellar (I'm a reciprocal CT Cellar Buddy)

Your Private WIneaux

kkv123

quality posts: 10 Private Messages kkv123
cjsiege wrote:
I'll bring my Greek Marinated chicken breasts for the grill.

The very thought that cjsiege is planning to bring her amazing Greek chicken is enough to shake kkv123 from the shadows!

I am tentatively slated to host a gathering that day, but we are contemplating rescheduling to another day. So put me down as a maybe.

kkv123

quality posts: 10 Private Messages kkv123
iByron wrote:Maybe.

It's been a rough couple of months.

iByron

Oh, but I'm sorry to read this. If you can make it, be reassured that you will find that a warmly supportive group awaits you.

I can't promise that we'll make it all better, but we'll certainly try.

In the meantime, big hugs to you! Thinking positive energy in your direction.

cjsiege

iB - I hope your chaos stops swirling long enough to come by and relax!

kkv123 - we've got to deconflict your calendar! The sparklitariat must arise!

hershelk

iByron. Maybe a nice soak in the hot tub will help ease the suffering. We'd like to see you.

CT

smartheart

quality posts: 94 Private Messages smartheart

Been way too long since I've seen some of you folks so looked up when the next local gathering will be.

Alas, that day won't work for me but I look forward to seeing you at a future event. (Sparklers, anyone??)

"Three be the things I shall never attain: Envy, content, and sufficient champagne."
--D. Parker

sukeiasa

Well... If people are on the fence pending what wines will be at this event... I'm gonna bring things that are high risk high reward... Like a personal resurrection event... I will bring a 1971 Bordeaux first growth and an ancient bubbly that I picked up from Schneiders in dc... Like pre atomic ancient... But alas, as with anything this old, both bottles could turn into bad vinegar... Or really amazing... But probabl vinegar... So there's your high risk high reward... I will also bring some other bottles that are safer... Not sure which just yet...

Oh, is it ok if I bring some friends??

wine woot gatherings: manchego dinner, '11 cyber pub bottling, '12 cyber pub bottling, DMV #25, #26, #28, #29, #29.5 NY #19, NY #20; socal #22

hershelk

sukeiasa wrote:

Oh, is it ok if I bring some friends??

One or two friends usually isn't a problem.

CT

hershelk

I put the starting time at 3:00 since the pool is open and folks may want to come in the afternoon and enjoy it. However, We probably shouldn't plan on starting with the wine tasting around 5:00 or so. So if you want to come by a little later, that is fine. I figure we can start some wines, grill some food, then continue tasting. EIther that or make our way through the wines with some munchies then spend the rest of the night eating and drinking what's left in the bottles.

CT

mstein609

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mstein609
sukeiasa wrote:Well... If people are on the fence pending what wines will be at this event... I'm gonna bring things that are high risk high reward... Like a personal resurrection event... I will bring a 1971 Bordeaux first growth and an ancient bubbly that I picked up from Schneiders in dc... Like pre atomic ancient... But alas, as with anything this old, both bottles could turn into bad vinegar... Or really amazing...

Or really amazing vinegar. I've had a bottle of wine that was undrinkable, but perfect to mix with olive oil and sprinkle on salad....

I just recently was bequeathed some even older Bordeaux (mostly 1959 and 1961), as well a few Burgundies ranging from 1961-1982. They were stored sideways, but at ordinary basement temperature, and never recorked. Two bottles from the trove were opened about ten years ago, and were both consigned to the drain. So most are quite likely corked or gone to vinegar, and I can't imagine them being salable with their highly dubious condition. But we can at least try - the risk of deterioration is only going to go up the longer they're around. I'll figure on bringing half a dozen bottles. If even one proves drinkable, it will be a pleasant surprise. Of course, I'll bring something less risky as well, in the (quite likely) event that all of the old stuff is trash.

I have one of those CO2 injection openers. I've never tried it, but I'm thinking that it might be the most suitable tool for corks that might disintegrate on touch.

sukeiasa

mstein609 wrote:Or really amazing vinegar. I've had a bottle of wine that was undrinkable, but perfect to mix with olive oil and sprinkle on salad....

I just recently was bequeathed some even older Bordeaux (mostly 1959 and 1961), as well a few Burgundies ranging from 1961-1982. They were stored sideways, but at ordinary basement temperature, and never recorked. Two bottles from the trove were opened about ten years ago, and were both consigned to the drain. So most are quite likely corked or gone to vinegar, and I can't imagine them being salable with their highly dubious condition. But we can at least try - the risk of deterioration is only going to go up the longer they're around. I'll figure on bringing half a dozen bottles. If even one proves drinkable, it will be a pleasant surprise. Of course, I'll bring something less risky as well, in the (quite likely) event that all of the old stuff is trash.

I have one of those CO2 injection openers. I've never tried it, but I'm thinking that it might be the most suitable tool for corks that might disintegrate on touch.

awesome... will be looking forward to that... i'll bring an ah-so opener just in case the seals are no good for the co2 opener....

i think this would be really fun and educational if anything just to see first hand how wine goes bad....

will also be looking forward to them old burgs because plenty of people say that good burgundy should not be drunk until they have at least a good 15 years under the belt....

mstein609

sukeiasa wrote:awesome... will be looking forward to that... i'll bring an ah-so opener just in case the seals are no good for the co2 opener....

We tried opening two of the clearly dead (very low fill) bottles with one of those, and failed - the corks just crumbled. But maybe yours is better than the one I tried.

I forgot to mention there's a couple Revol (negociant) 1957 Cote-Rotie.

hershelk

I will have at least a +1. Not sure if I have any real dead ones but I may have some whites a little past their prime.

CT

cjsiege

hershelk wrote:I will have at least a +1. Not sure if I have any real dead ones but I may have some whites a little past their prime.

Yeah - that's more along the lines of what I was thinking. The other part of that punchline from Holy Grail is "I'm not dead yet!"

I didn't mean to imply we should bring "dead wines". Just those that are - as you said - past their prime. (If anyone interpreted otherwise, I apologize.)

I'm planning to wrestle thru part of my inventory this weekend. Who knows what treasures I may rediscover???

sukeiasa

cjsiege wrote:Yeah - that's more along the lines of what I was thinking. The other part of that punchline from Holy Grail is "I'm not dead yet!"

I didn't mean to imply we should bring "dead wines". Just those that are - as you said - past their prime. (If anyone interpreted otherwise, I apologize.)

I'm planning to wrestle thru part of my inventory this weekend. Who knows what treasures I may rediscover???

well... you never really know if it's dead until you open them right? :P

InShadows

quality posts: 1 Private Messages InShadows

I'll be there and possibly +2.

CT
“Every time you think something or someone is stupid, it just means there is another thing in this world you don’t understand.” - In memory of Robert, 1975-2009
If you make a man a fire, he'll be warm for a night. If you set him on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Past NoVA Gatherings

cjsiege

First post has been updated for attendance. Thoughts on wine? Food? Life in general?

hershelk

I have chicken and turkey sausage as well as turkey burgers that I can throw on the grill in addition to CJ's chicken. I have plenty of plates/cups/silverware, etc. I have cookies as well. I also have plenty of bags of chips. I also have some fruit. There are many leftovers from an event last Sunday.

For wines I will look through my whites to see what may be toward their end of life. I also think I may have a sparkler that should probably be opened by now. I will also be +3 now.

mstein dropped off some very interesting older reds to put in the cellar, I have little hope for two of them, but the rest look pretty promising.

It looks like it is supposed to be pretty hot on Saturday. I suggest we not start tasting till closer to 6 when there will be a little more shade and it will start getting a little cooler. However, we can decide as a group. Everyone is still free to come as early as 3 and hang by the pool.

CT

hershelk

If there is anyone who wants to join us but needs directions, just PM me.

CT

hershelk

We have an additional four wines contributed by a benefactor to our upcoming event and we'll need to try them all. Be prepared for a long evening of wine tasting.

CT

tripgrad

quality posts: 3 Private Messages tripgrad

I will be there with Fess Parker Chardonnay.
Also my friend David will come with his fabulous stuffed grape leaves.

Did I leave my suit there last year?
;-)

R.I.P.
WINE.W00T NOV 4, 2012

mstein609

hershelk wrote:
mstein dropped off some very interesting older reds to put in the cellar, I have little hope for two of them, but the rest look pretty promising.

I just ran across a 2011 blog post from someone who had a 1964 Leon Revol Cote-Rotie and apparently liked it:

http://blog.wblakegray.com/2011/10/old-wines-are-uncool-and-therefore.html

So maybe the 1957 I brought over has at least a little bit better chance than we thought.

cjsiege

*bump*

See you all tomorrow!

tripgrad

I've changed my mind about what wine to bring.
While looking for the old Chardonnay, I found a bottle of 1997 Zenato Amarone della Valpolicella CLASSICO

R.I.P.
WINE.W00T NOV 4, 2012

sukeiasa

i'm picking up my friend around 4:30 in arlington so my eta should be around 5... will bring dessert (cupcakes from sweet lobby), some cheese, and a few salad dishes... anything else we need?

hershelk

sukeiasa wrote:i'm picking up my friend around 4:30 in arlington so my eta should be around 5... will bring dessert (cupcakes from sweet lobby), some cheese, and a few salad dishes... anything else we need?

More then enough already. See you then.

CT

sukeiasa

hershelk wrote:More then enough already. See you then.

En route, your place is on m. Way in Alexandria right?

hershelk

sukeiasa wrote:En route, your place is on m. Way in Alexandria right?

Yup

CT

tripgrad

I have been attending these NoVA/DC gatherings since the first year. This was the best selection of premium wines that I have ever experienced.
The food was awesome, & the weather was perfect.
Thank you to HK for hosting, and thank you to CJ for being so special.

R.I.P.
WINE.W00T NOV 4, 2012

cjsiege

This was a seriously surprising gathering! Lots of old friends and new faces! Lots of unusual finds as well. Talk about finding unusual things tucked away in the cellar... And InShadows was tweeting the wines as they came up.

Thank you so much, hershelk, for hosting, cooking, and finding a couple choice tidbits from your cellar.

Thank you to everyone who contributed your finds - from wine to food to yummy desserts!

hershelk

In case no ones believes or remembers what we poured, I have the photos of the bottles up on the web.

The gallery of wines

Thanks everyone for a great time.

CT

sukeiasa

thanks hershelk for hosting!! we had a blast!!