Young Ridge Estate Vineyard Library Napa Cabernet Sauvignon 2-Pack
$79.99 $̶1̶3̶9̶.̶0̶0̶ 42% off List Price
2002 Young Ridge Estate Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon, Napa Valley
CT link above

Winery website

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

chipgreen

quality posts: 179 Private Messages chipgreen

I received a bottle of 2002 Young Ridge Cabernet Sauvignon from a wealthy benefactor. "Oh, I can't accept this" I said as I popped the cork....

PnP - dark color, brickish purple w/ ruby edges. Nose of spice and dark fruit with some oak and a little heat. I can tell just from the nose that this wine has plenty of life left in it.

On the entry - toasty oak, vanilla cream, cassis, blackberry, maybe some boysenberry? Fruit is somewhat in the background but not lacking. Pepper and tobacco in mid-palate, layered with fruit. Well integrated overall with chewy tannins on the long finish.

Day 2 - a little more fruit on the nose and palate (mostly blackberries). Slight improvement but very similar to day 1. This bottle did not live to see a day 3 but I'm sure it would have still been drinking well.

A very enjoyable and fairly complex Napa Cab that seems pulled together right now but has the backbone and structure to hold for at least another 2-3 years.

I was hoping this would compare favorably to the '02 Ardente Cab I drank recently and it definitely does, albeit at a higher price point.

mother

quality posts: 15 Private Messages mother

From the "Winery" tab:

Current releases include 2001 through 2004 vintages.

So then this is not a library wine then.

UBlink

quality posts: 18 Private Messages UBlink
mother wrote:From the "Winery" tab:

The next sentence says 2005 and 2006 are sold out so it's not like this is their most recent vintage. Is there a precise meaning of "library" wine?

Following the eight word profile, political economy in eight words:
Ain't no free lunch - them what has gets.

chipgreen

quality posts: 179 Private Messages chipgreen
mother wrote:From the "Winery" tab:

Must be an old write-up, it also says that '07 through '09 are still in the barrel but the '07 and '08 have been released already (and sold at a steep discount through another vendor's wine club last year). I'd love to get one of the more recent vintages at "garage" pricing instead of "library" pricing. In the meantime, I'll hold out hope for another Ardente offer in the $20/bottle range.

mother

UBlink wrote:The next sentence says 2005 and 2006 are sold out so it's not like this is their most recent vintage. Is there a precise meaning of "library" wine?

Yep, it means 'not a current vintage.'

chipgreen wrote:Must be an old write-up, it also says that '07 through '09 are still in the barrel but the '07 and '08 have been released already (and sold at a steep discount through another vendor's wine club last year).

Hrm, perhaps. I need more wine like a hole in the head at the moment, but at that lower price point I would have had to be in for a couple!

redwinefan

quality posts: 74 Private Messages redwinefan

I brought a bottle of this (older) Young Cabernet to a dinner party last night.

We poured this into a decanter, but started drinking immediately. There was very little to no sediment in the bottle.

It didn't seem to actually require decanting, since it was drinking well immediately. We compared this side by side with a different 2005 Napa Cab, and the 2005 was totally shutdown whereas this 2002 had a nice fruit profile right out of the bottle.

I think Chip's notes are right on. The only thing I'd add is that there was a bit of a raisin/prune-y quality to this, but it wasn't overwhelming.

"You need to invest in a corkscrew. Wine is for drinking." -- Peter Wellington

chengg02

quality posts: 1 Private Messages chengg02

this is unrelated.... i just discovered i ran out of the cavedoni balsamic!!!! the horror!!

So... please... another offer on woot?

cortot20

quality posts: 132 Private Messages cortot20

Surprised this wine didn't get more traction. The price isn't great but its an interesting offer regardless. 11 year old napa cab at $25 under retail makes it interesting. The tasters said it was solid but didn't appear to be blown away. Winery reps would have been helpful but Sunday appears to be the slowest day on the WW boards so this offer might have been a better mid week offer and instead sell a known quality here in the Sunday space.

food for thought.

CT

Cesare

quality posts: 1564 Private Messages Cesare

Had a bottle of this today. Also agree chipgreen's notes.
Nice dark red color. No sediment.
On the nose: Good fruit. Like a chocolate covered cherry. Hint of oak and some spice.
On the palate: Silky smooth, integrated tannins. Some stewed fruit, more oak, a little heat. Spicy.
Decent finish. A little tart with some tannins on the backend.
This is a solid aged wine and a good price for properly stored and already aged for you napa cab.

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

eluofthenine

quality posts: 7 Private Messages eluofthenine

Since its the end of the night, I'll give my two cents. I'm stocked pretty well to capacity, more than half on good cab. This is one of those very interesting offers that I would prob end up thinking about all day and then pulling the trigger on if the numbers were a little more enticing. I'm not saying its not a good deal because I think it is. Just not an enticing deal.

kkrathi

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kkrathi
eluofthenine wrote:Just not an enticing deal.

What am I missing? I looked up all the 2002 napa cabs through wine-searcher.com and I couldn't find a decent wine under $75 a bottle (a very few times $50), not to mention outrageous shipping prices. So compared to all of that, if this wine is decent enough, this is actually a great deal. No?

K

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
kkrathi wrote:What am I missing? I looked up all the 2002 napa cabs through wine-searcher.com and I couldn't find a decent wine under $75 a bottle (a very few times $50), not to mention outrageous shipping prices. So compared to all of that, if this wine is decent enough, this is actually a great deal. No?

Yes. That's what Cortot20 was saying above. This is a really nice deal considering age and what we discussed in yesterday's thread: provenance, which, IMO, becomes increasingly important the older the wine being considered is).

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

eluofthenine

quality posts: 7 Private Messages eluofthenine

It is a good deal, and I said that. It just doesn't have that "push me over the edge" factor. That's all I meant. My personal opinion.

Maybe it's the discussion participation, maybe it's the numbers, I dunno. I bet if this thread would've blown up, I'd be peaked. I also know that when I'm thinking good aged cab, I can just wait for Ardente to come up again at $20/bottle. So even though this stuff is, I'm sure, entirely different; they still need to be more in that ballpark for me. I wonder how many others are thinking along the same lines?

mother

kkrathi wrote:What am I missing? I looked up all the 2002 napa cabs through wine-searcher.com and I couldn't find a decent wine under $75 a bottle (a very few times $50), not to mention outrageous shipping prices. So compared to all of that, if this wine is decent enough, this is actually a great deal. No?

I'm afraid I don't understand your logic- because known to be good aged Napa CS is more expensive, unknown Napa CS which the rats seem to indicate being done baking (stewed fruits, PnP, etc.) for $45 a bottle is a screaming deal?

That doesn't make it a bad deal mind you, but if it were $25/btl, the story would be different- many people who really don't need more drink now mystery CS would be buying.

That was the magic of Wine Woot of days gone bye.