chipgreen

quality posts: 197 Private Messages chipgreen
moondigger wrote:I think you're right -- because when Colorado was the only one lit, the color was pink -- as California appears now. But now that California is lit as well, Colorado has taken on the darker/red hue -- without any apparent additional sales having taken place there.

I'm anxiously awaiting a third purchase to see how the map changes!

tytiger58

quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58

Wind! Tornado! Hide! someone threw a party and nobody showed up.

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

rjquillin

quality posts: 179 Private Messages rjquillin
chipgreen wrote:I'm anxiously awaiting a third purchase to see how the map changes!

Hellooooooooo Washington!
My $$ still on population weighting.

CT

jmdavidson

quality posts: 57 Private Messages jmdavidson

I have a bottle of this and thought I should open it and see what the inside holds. On PnP, the color reminds me of dark bing cherries. Initial aroma is possibly strawberry with some oak integrated in. First taste yields what the bottle indicates: berry, cherry pie, clove, white pepper and licorice. Pretty smooth and no acidic finish. A swirl of the glass reveals good legs. There is a little sediment, so maybe unfiltered. I think I'll let this sit for an hour and come back to it. SWIMBO and I like the freshness of this at this point. I have not told her it's a zin.

Ok, so it's an hour later. Still smelling some oak and strawberry. Now I do not taste the cherry pie or the white pepper, but do taste strawberry. The finish does still have a soft licorice flavor with some dryness. There is still no acidic finish. This is not a complex wine, but is certainly a tasty one. I have had some Italian primitivos that fit this flavor profile more than some American zins. SWIMBO and I liked this wine alot and did think it had some pinot characteristics as well. If you like pinots, I think you would also like this. And... I would also pair this with foods normally paired with Pinots, including turkey and cranberries. Just for kicks, I tried this with some leftover spaghetti and meatballs and it worked well together. I will not even get into the cost debate. Anyone who buys this, I feel confident will like it.

deecue

quality posts: 0 Private Messages deecue
chipgreen wrote:I think it's fair to analyze the deals that are offered. That's how most people decide if it's worth buying. Some deals are better than others.

Is it ok to heap praise on the great deals but everyone is supposed to sit silently on their hands if a deal isn't good? WD has stated more than once that they appreciate (and learn from) all the comments both positive and negative. Many companies have to lure their customers with coupons and sweepstakes to get feedback like this.

Yep.. I love hearing the good and the bad.. I haven't been thrilled with WW lately and have barely bought (prob 1 offer in the past month). I've also prob been more vocal lately than I usually am, but mainly because I'd honestly like things to change so I can keep being an active customer. While the poor prices and unfavorable new policies may infuriate me, I still really appreciate the heck out of this community. I def think certain WW employees appreciate it as much i/we do, but unfortunately the company as a whole doesn't appear to recognize the value considering how things have been going lately.

emccarl

quality posts: 9 Private Messages emccarl
bskuared wrote:I think y'all are being rude and unfriendly. The offer is in, if you are interested, pull the trigger. Otherwise, suck it up and act like an adult.

"I dont care about a t shirt, i'm hungry lets just go find some barbeque or something." - Almost Famous

I somewhat agree with bskuared, although I'm not saying not to speak up if you disagree with the offer. I look at it this way:
WD has turned me on to very many wonderful wines these past few years. Most were at prices far below what I could have gotten these wines for at my local wine shop. I've saved so much on previous offers that I'm not very concerned about this specific offer having been cheaper on WTSO.

Market forces are market forces. Supply and demand should dictate the price of the woot. Also, it is important that the winery makes a profit, which they might not have on the WTSO offer. The only business that can operate without a profit is the Government, and living in CA, I have a first hand experience of how that cluster f*$K works.

I've purchased and drank many $40 bottles of Zinfandel (Orin Swift, Seghesio, Ravenswood, etc.) $40 a bottle Zinfandels are a real sweet spot for me. If I could have purchased these at $27, I would have considered it a real good deal.

I trust that these are good Zins, so I'm in for 1 or 2 (don't know until I finish my post).

moondigger

quality posts: 11 Private Messages moondigger
bskuared wrote:I think y'all are being rude and unfriendly. The offer is in, if you are interested, pull the trigger. Otherwise, suck it up and act like an adult.

Adults have reasoned discussions about the perceived value of various offers on Woot. Children complain about what other people are talking about.

That is all.

chipgreen

rjquillin wrote:Hellooooooooo Washington!
My $$ still on population weighting.

As of now, looks like 6 purchases in 5 states (all qty. 1) so one of those states has 2 purchases but can't tell which one by looking at the map. I guess population weighting makes as much sense as anything.

Winedavid39

quality posts: 207 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

Hello and happy Saturday.

We appreciate this feedback. We understand the foundation of what makes wine.woot tick. We live and breathe it.

So, yea officially this is the best offer you can buy this wine at today. And yes we vetted it like we always do. It also passed the reasonableness test (Los Chamizal vineyards is a renowned vineyard) and the wine is quite good.

That said, it looks like some retailers may have grabbed a small lot from a distributor looking to move some of this and sold it for less. We cannot speak to the condition or provenance of the wine from other venues.

We do stand by the quality of the wine today as it relates to retail and that it comes directly from the winery.

We also accept today that you are voting with your pocket book.

Tomorrow we will live to fight another day.

WD

kylemittskus

quality posts: 231 Private Messages kylemittskus

WD, good or bad, I always appreciate your willingness to face the music, if you will.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

chipgreen

kylemittskus wrote:WD, good or bad, I always appreciate your willingness to face the music, if you will.

Agreed, WD is a stand up guy!

noslensj

quality posts: 42 Private Messages noslensj
moondigger wrote:Adults have reasoned discussions about the perceived value of various offers on Woot. Children complain about what other people are talking about.

That is all.

And consider the situation from the perspective of the seller who might be running a promotion that doesn't nearly the business volume expected. It's much better to hear from prospects why they didn't buy than it is to have them walk out the door without saying anything.

kylemittskus

noslensj wrote:And consider the situation from the perspective of the seller who might be running a promotion that doesn't nearly the business volume expected. It's much better to hear from prospects why they didn't buy than it is to have them walk out the door without saying anything.

I agree with this. The seller of a product may not like to know that their item is priced too high (perhaps limited to a certain sales outlet), but IMO, it is valuable information, even if it's disappointing. What the seller chooses to do is obviously completely up to him/her, but it is, nevertheless, "free" market research.

kaolis

quality posts: 27 Private Messages kaolis
Winedavid39 wrote:Hello and happy Saturday.

We appreciate this feedback. We understand the foundation of what makes wine.woot tick. We live and breathe it.

So, yea officially this is the best offer you can buy this wine at today. And yes we vetted it like we always do. It also passed the reasonableness test (Los Chamizal vineyards is a renowned vineyard) and the wine is quite good.

That said, it looks like some retailers may have grabbed a small lot from a distributor looking to move some of this and sold it for less. We cannot speak to the condition or provenance of the wine from other venues.

We do stand by the quality of the wine today as it relates to retail and that it comes directly from the winery.

We also accept today that you are voting with your pocket book.

Tomorrow we will live to fight another day.

WD

So the wine from WTSO was not sourced from the winery? And if not, sounds kind of like sour grapes(pun intended) that you are inferring the wine they received is not in good condition.

Winedavid39

quality posts: 207 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

kaolis wrote:So the wine from WTSO was not sourced from the winery? And if not, sounds kind of like sour grapes(pun intended) that you are inferring the wine they received is not in good condition.

i absolutely trust our model over any others from a quality and price integrity perspective.

kylemittskus

kaolis wrote:So the wine from WTSO was not sourced from the winery? And if not, sounds kind of like sour grapes(pun intended) that you are inferring the wine they received is not in good condition.

I don't think that's what WD's point was at all. There are two sources of a wine (at the start). The winery or a distributor. Wine.woot pulls wines directly from the winery (except with intl offers). WTSO, from that I have gathers pulls from wineries occasionally and distributors predominantly. Why the distributor is trying to unload the wine is a mystery. What we know is that it isn't to get their name out there, like many wineries come on wine.woot to do, since the distributor remains the "man behind the curtain" and passes responsibility to WTSO (or another site). The provenance may not be bad, but it certainly isn't certain. Whether that's enough of a reason for you to spend $10 more on a bottle under $40 is a different question. It wouldn't be for me, even if I weren't on a SIWBM. And like WD said, we vote with our wallets and he understands and accepts that, and does so with class. The wineries, Id like to think, take our opinions which are usually quite educated, into consideration.

*Just my (usually not) humble opinion on the matter.

noslensj

quality posts: 42 Private Messages noslensj

I think you're overinterpreting/overinferring.

From what I know WTSO operates under a different business plan. The big one is that WTSO actually owns the wine it puts up on it's site. That's why there isn't any of the business at WTSO about whether or not the winery is licensed to ship to a particular state. With WTSO the only issue is whether WTSO has the license to ship.

With that model come some inherent differences. One key is that WTSO may get juice from various sources. In some cases it's obvious that a distributor had product in inventory that they wanted to clear out. So they sold it to WTSO.

undamentally, the WTSO business model is to find people who are sufficiently anxious to clear out some wine that they are willing to sell that wine to WTSO at a huge discount. Questions of provenance under that model are certainly legitimate. WTSO doesn't know that information. I've certainly obtained stuff from them (and from LB, BTW) that left me wondering about what the conditions under which it had been stored.

Under the woot model you know you are getting the product from the winery. I think it's totally appropriate for WD to point that out, and to point it out repeatedly. It does differentiate wine.woot; it's up to us as consumers to figure out how much value that differentiation has to us, and factor that into our buying decisions according to our own preferences.

losthighwayz

quality posts: 59 Private Messages losthighwayz

Had a bottle of gauthier zin being offered here last night at thecSoCal woot gathering. No formal notes were taken but many got a chance to taste and offer general comments. Sorry i was not able to report when i was offered but suspect this may reappear during an upcoming woot off :

Me: PnP not much fruit on the nose a bit of alcohol...color is ruby red and vety clear. I tasted raspberries and hints of vanilla. Not your CA jammy fruit bomb but more in the stylr of Harvey' 1869

Wife: its good but nothin special...she typicalky enjoys zins and she was not overly excited

Taster1: nose reminds me of armpit....what? Yuo, she said that. She wasnt a fan of the wine itself.

Taster 2: reminds me of 1869 but without the acidity and not as refined

Taste 3: smell some alcohol and lacking acidity...

In short, the wine was enjoyed by some and not others. Regardless, the cobsensus was that $15 would be appropriate but even at that some would not buy. We all agreed it needed sme acid as it came across as flabby. I had some more an hour later and fruit was starting o fade and the tannins dried my mouth more so than when first openned.
I hope this helps. Anyone tht had this last night feel free to chime in!

"The older I get the better I was"

aprilbolin

quality posts: 2 Private Messages aprilbolin

WTSO has this again at the cheaper price.

bdlsmoran

quality posts: 2 Private Messages bdlsmoran
aprilbolin wrote:WTSO has this again at the cheaper price.

Stick it to the man

RyanANNAPOLIS

quality posts: 2 Private Messages RyanANNAPOLIS

The Gauthier deal is live right now on WTSO for those looking to pick this up at a lower price!

chipgreen

losthighwayz wrote:
....In short, the wine was enjoyed by some and not others. Regardless, the cobsensus was that $15 would be appropriate but even at that some would not buy. We all agreed it needed sme acid as it came across as flabby. I had some more an hour later and fruit was starting o fade and the tannins dried my mouth more so than when first openned.
I hope this helps. Anyone tht had this last night feel free to chime in!

I guess nobody from Wine Enthusiast was there.

Well, now the winemaker will have plenty left to sell at his $42 retail price when that issue of WE comes out. Maybe he should buy back some bottles from the distributor that keeps feeding WTSO.

kaolis

quality posts: 27 Private Messages kaolis
kylemittskus wrote:I don't think that's what WD's point was at all. There are two sources of a wine (at the start). The winery or a distributor. Wine.woot pulls wines directly from the winery (except with intl offers). WTSO, from that I have gathers pulls from wineries occasionally and distributors predominantly. Why the distributor is trying to unload the wine is a mystery. What we know is that it isn't to get their name out there, like many wineries come on wine.woot to do, since the distributor remains the "man behind the curtain" and passes responsibility to WTSO (or another site). The provenance may not be bad, but it certainly isn't certain. Whether that's enough of a reason for you to spend $10 more on a bottle under $40 is a different question. It wouldn't be for me, even if I weren't on a SIWBM. And like WD said, we vote with our wallets and he understands and accepts that, and does so with class. The wineries, Id like to think, take our opinions which are usually quite educated, into consideration.

*Just my (usually not) humble opinion on the matter.

Thank you for speaking for Wine David. And thank you for the lesson on the three tier system. However, having worked fine wine retail for a number of years and drinking and purchasing fine wine for over 30 years, I do have some marginal familiarity with how all this works.